Page 91

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Trantor

Re: Page 91

Post by Trantor »

Arioch wrote:(Kikitik-27 didn't hear anything Alex said on page 90.)
Heh. 8-)

And i think Stillstorm misses a historic opportunity by acting grouchy against Alex.
sapere aude.

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

I dunno, can we really trust you after that Spiral thing?
Ashrain is best rain.

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Hmm, I'm not really sure on this one myself.
Firstly, Beryl has been very explicit on what Alex is allowed to do on the bridge, telling him before hand, and I expect she and Fireblade have been in contact with Stillstorm throughout and if there had been any indication of a problem it would have been nipped in the bud before it could happen, instead of them suddenly being worried and the like.
Personally I think Stillstorm is very much as interested in Alex's reactions as anyone else, you simply don't let an unidentified alien life with unknown abilities and the ability to block one of your main advantages, onto your most sensitive command bridge without having a good reason to do so, especially if you are negotiating with the enemy.
Judging by the page, I think their reactions are down to something more immediate than anything, maybe something he said, the song perhaps.

After all, they are 217 light years from earth, in the year 2160, so they should be getting radio transmissions from Earth from roughly 1943.

That's got to open up a whole can of interesting revelations, especially if your linguistics computers just tied his native language down thanks to him finally speaking a long stretch in his native tongue.

And I do believe there was quite a lot of WW2 Mickey mouse radio broadcasts in 1943. the Club song however didn't come out until 1950's though.. still they might have some listening posts a few light years closer.

Thats just my opinion though! looking for the epic mystery in every tea leaf.

JeroOfBaconGrease

Post by JeroOfBaconGrease »

Intriguing suggestion! I'm interested to see how that might play out.
There ARE FOUR Lights!

Cy83r

Post by Cy83r »

DevilDalek wrote:After all, they are 217 light years from earth, in the year 2160, so they should be getting radio transmissions from Earth from roughly 1943.
"Commander,"

"Yes?"

"We found it."

"Excellent."

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

Doesn't signal strength diminish with distance... something with photons dissipating at a rate of square of the distance?

Wouldn't the interception of such a transmission give a general idea of where Sol is, but not necessarily a specific point (sort of like we could pinpoint the area of the sky the WOW signal came from but not necessarily the star)? Just looking for clarification.
OUTSIDER UPDATE => HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Yes and sort of. If it was only one receiver then they wouldn't be able to tell where it was from, but the Loroi could use multiple receivers to triangulate fairly easily.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Count Casimir wrote:
I dunno, can we really trust you after that Spiral thing?
I think we can trust Arioch, its was just a quick artistic decision to use Talon, (not Spiral i belief, but I'm sure the spiky haired pilot was out their too ;)).

but I was sorta hoping to get more character info in Chapter 2. IIRC, from a podwarp 1999 podcast: chaper 2 will be with talon and Spiral in shuttle (unless the author has changed things)

As for old radio messages: unfortunately, the first tv broadcast is a Hitler at the 1934 olympic games :( ( according to the movie contact)
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Cy83r

Post by Cy83r »

NOMAD wrote:As for old radio messages: unfortunately, the first tv broadcast is a Hitler at the 1934 olympic games :( ( according to the movie contact)
Waaat? That is both scary as hell and freaking awesome.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Cy83r wrote:
NOMAD wrote:As for old radio messages: unfortunately, the first tv broadcast is a Hitler at the 1934 olympic games :( ( according to the movie contact)
according to the info I was able to find ( rather quicky though) but their is some debate ( online) on the strenght of the signal now, in comparison to today modern equipment and setting.

a better bet would be radio ( longer broadcasting history, very simple to find). however, would a very advance race be able to notice ( IE recieving the message is fine, but what if, say the com's system on the Loroi ships would fliter out earths messages? )
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Resolving a television broadcast from 200 light years away into any kind of viewable detail would be a neat trick. The example in Contact was much closer (Vega, 26 light years away), but I think even that is really reaching... though it certainly makes for a dramatic cinematic moment.
fredgiblet wrote: Could we get an explicit statement regarding Fireblade being on Seren or not?
That seems a reasonable request, but I am sorry, I am not in a position to give you any information on that subject at this time.
NOMAD wrote:I think we can trust Arioch, its was just a quick artistic decision to use Talon, (not Spiral i belief, but I'm sure the spiky haired pilot was out their too).
I put in Talon's bio that she has been transferred to shuttle duty, which is correct; the fact that I put her in a fighter during the Naam battle just means that this transfer happened after the battle. [Obi-Wan Kenobi voice] So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view. [/Obi-Wan Kenobi voice]

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Ktrain wrote:Doesn't signal strength diminish with distance... something with photons dissipating at a rate of square of the distance?

Wouldn't the interception of such a transmission give a general idea of where Sol is, but not necessarily a specific point (sort of like we could pinpoint the area of the sky the WOW signal came from but not necessarily the star)? Just looking for clarification.
They don't be ever able to hear it, if they aren't already pinpointed to sun. Because without proper amplification (like 30m disk) the signal is so weak that background noise of universe or one refrigerator on umiak ship will overpower it.
Supporter of forum RPG

discord

Post by discord »

bunny: more like 30 KM dish.....

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Calculating.

217 light year is about 100.000 times so far as Voyager 1, whose signal is clearly recorded 2006 by amateur with 20 m disk.
Voyager has 3.7 m disk and it's powersource emit 470w at launch, I don't know how much it is now or how much it is for transmitting.
In 1936 they build in Britain 200kw radar. (Didn't find out how much power was BBC using, but the first radar tests used their signal.)
They need only 100 times better equipments than us to get that signal with 20m antenna.

Edit: We could detect it with this distance with 200 m disk.
Last edited by bunnyboy on Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supporter of forum RPG

Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

Ktrain wrote:Doesn't signal strength diminish with distance... something with photons dissipating at a rate of square of the distance?

If they can detect it at all, they probably have a detector specific enough to pinpoint Earth. Directionality doesn't just let you know where something's coming from, it cuts out interference from other sources in the general direction of the target.

I'm talking about the mass transmissions from the planet as a whole, though. It's very doubtful they'd be able to pick out an individual transmitter at that distance, though, no matter how good the equipment. And high bandwidth transmissions like TV are less likely to be received intact than radio.

NOMAD wrote:a better bet would be radio ( longer broadcasting history, very simple to find). however, would a very advance race be able to notice ( IE recieving the message is fine, but what if, say the com's system on the Loroi ships would fliter out earths messages? )
Their ships aren't carrying antennas nearly big enough to let them receive anything from Earth. We're talking about parabolic dishes multiple km across.

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I think folks might be projecting a bit here. We use such techniques to find signals because we can't just drop in and say "Hello! Anyone home?" Folks in Outsider-verse can. Consider, how much funding will SETI get with the Scout Corp buzzing around?

dfacto

Post by dfacto »

I think we can safely assume that interstellar signal detection is a non-issue in this story (as in, it doesn't exist) or else humans would have known about the rest of the factions long ago.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Arioch wrote:
fredgiblet wrote: Could we get an explicit statement regarding Fireblade being on Seren or not?
That seems a reasonable request, but I am sorry, I am not in a position to give you any information on that subject at this time.
Hmmmmm...*strokingchin.gif*

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Cy83r wrote:
Don´t worry. German TV "quality" hasn´t improved much since...

:mrgreen:

Edit: The olympic games in Berlin were in ´36, btw.
And somewhat "regular" TV-"programme" was broadcast from spring 1929, a few hours a day around Berlin.

Hitlers TV-speech "only" was the first one with the then-new "high definition"-TV @ 375 lines, 25Hz (not interlaced).
Last edited by Trantor on Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sapere aude.

discord

Post by discord »

bunny: unless voyager was significantly outside pluto orbit when they did that test, the number you are looking for is probably over 5.7 MILLION times longer...you might have dropped a zero and some change somewhere along the line.

the solar system is only 7 light hours diameter....to pluto. 217 light YEARS is quite a bit longer