[RP] Operation: Deep Strike (OOC)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Karst45

Re: [RP] Operation: Deep Strike (OOC)

Post by Karst45 »

Maybe i skipped something but what do each basic attribute do (bonus to what?) and represent?

are there other skill?

what game system did you actually choose/build?

are the 128 point for the skill only or do it also apply to all other category? (Social Sciences, Natural Sciences, etc)

Cheese or bacon?

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Can't I have cheese and bacon? ;P Looks like a home-brew system to me though. I think those 128 points are across all the skills. So, basic, natural science, culture, etc.

Also, I think 128 may be a little high. If you scroll on up and check my character, I've only spent 117 before I ran out of things to spend them on, and I still have quite a few skill/ability combos that equal 9.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

I think 128points is just about right. At first I too thought they were perhaps a bit high, but I see that Icekatze wants us to spread our skills around So that our characters have a 'wide-range' of abilities so we are capable of dealing with various situations. It only gets 'pair-shaped' if you focus all your points into only 5 or 6 skills, but again it will show when we have to adjust to shifting situations... such a array of skills will prove how limited the character will be when he can't apply an applicable skill as events evolve.

Gudo... personally I like your selection of skills. I think your design is well-rounded!
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Martenzo

Post by Martenzo »

I agree with sunphoenix here. At first, 128 seemed like a lot, but then everything worked out pretty well. Just had to spread it around a bit.

One question, though. How do attributes tie in with skills?

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

I think it has to do with how Icekatze has us spend our points on our skills... the 128 burns up quick! So its not what it looks like. :)

As for stats tying to skills... I would think its situational.

Like sometimes my piloting skill will tie to my Creativity if I'm trying to catch a enemy pilot off guard with some spectacular maneuver as opposed to the obvious stat Reflexes. Fluid... depends on how you wish to utilize the skill!
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I made some clarifications to the skills and which attribute goes along with them in my post above.

Also, here are some other things for people to take into consideration:
Movement (Fitness+Movement Skill in meters per minute - normal / sprinting)

0 = 30/ 50
1 = 55/ 100
2 = 70/ 150
3 = 80/ 200
4 = 80/ 250
5 = 80/ 350
6 = 95/ 450
7 = 110/ 500
8 = 125/ 550
9 = 150/ 600

Initiative: Everyone goes, then we determine how much blood has been let.

Physical damage: Fitness x2 light wounds, Fitness x1 moderate wounds, 1 serious wound, incapacitated.
Mental Stress: Awareness x2 light stress, Awareness x1 moderate stress, 1 serious stress, snap.

Attacks: Weapon skill + Attribute vs Dodge skill + Attribute
Damage: If a weapon hits, it deals damage depending on a roll. Weapon damage minus Armor.
If the result is 0 or less, the weapon inflicts a light wound, if it is 1-10 it inflicts a moderate wound, if it is greater than 10 it is a serious wound. Damage will overflow to the next highest level if the appropriate box type is full.

Telepathy is not going to require any special resource. It is no more strenuous than any of the other activities people will be doing.

Stats for gear are still coming, either later tonight or tomorrow afternoon, but honestly we won't need them right away anyway. I want to make sure the list is comprehensive before I send it out, but resources won't exactly be restricted. You'll have access to appropriate gear by virtue of your particular government.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

ok ill wait until everything i lay dont (and maybe summarized) befor making my character.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

As a suggestion Icekatze... to keep it simple you may wish to simply say for initiative... that Reflexes + Combat Skill used is Initiative score. Highest total goes first, ties compare Awareness highest awareness goes first.

Not that it really matters as this is not a sit down game, though it might be important to you to know what action happened first. Everyone gets an action then you determine results... simple enough.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

In my opinion the initiative works best in posting order.

That way,
players of slow characters don't need change their messages every time when somebodys elses action makes theirs imbossible.
absense of player don't slow the game, when players acting after him don't need to wait his message.
Supporter of forum RPG

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

You have a valid point Bunnyboy... that seems reasonable. Not everyone will be able to reply when the initiative is called... and it will keep the game from being slowed down.

Perhaps an initiative will only be needed if players were trying to achieve opposing goals and whoever acted first would succeed. But that would be a VERY rare instance... no need to bog the game down with unnecessary mechanics.
Last edited by sunphoenix on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Human Combat Gear:
Unarmored - 1d6 + fitness rating:
Sometimes you get caught unprepared, sometimes...

Security Suit - Rating 5d6 + fitness rating:
This full body suit was designed for use in shipboard and vacuum environments. It is covered in thick ceramic plates and kevlar that offer superior protection. It does however limit flexibility and manual dexterity.

Work Suit - Rating 3d6 + fitness rating:
A standard vacuum suit, designed to be quickly sealed over whatever clothes the user is wearing. New manufacturing standards include a layer of kevlar to protect against damage.

Knife - 1d6+fitness:
A standard part of any engineering kit that can be turned into an improvised weapon. Effective against unarmored targets.

Pistol - Rating 3d6:
While there has never been a mutiny aboard a TCA vessel, tradition allows for officers to carry a sidearm. Recent dealings with alien races have renewed interest in the tradition. The standard sidearm of the TCA is an 11.5 mm pistol with an 8 round magazine.

Security Foam Weapon - Special:
Security personnel are equipped with a non lethal, non hull penetrating weapon. When activated, it covers the target with a slippery foam substance that quickly sets into a sticky adhesive material.

Full-auto anti-armor weapon - 8d6:
For use against Umiak hardtroops only. Fires 30 mm rounds which fragment into several depleted-uranium encased plastic explosive flechettes. These are safely stowed away in the ship's armory for use in the unlikely event of Umiak boarding operations. The Loroi consultant in charge of reviewing Terran equipment was quoted as saying: "hmm, that might work."

Anti-armor missile launcher - 11d6:
For use against Umiak hardtroops only. Fire and forget a single tandem shaped HEAT warhead. The Loroi consultant in charge of reviewing Terran equipment was quoted as saying: "This is nice, you might want more of these."

Loroi Combat Gear:
Loroi Standard Armor - 4d6+fitness rating:
Tough but extremely flexible and smooth as silk.

Loroi Security Pistol - 4d6:
A common Loroi sidearm, fires a beam of coherent light at the target causing explosive vaporization. Holds enough charge for 20 uses before requiring a recharge.

Loroi Security Long Arm - 3d6 to 9d6:
Usually carried by security personnel, this particle blaster has an adjustable power output. Generally the highest setting is reserved for big targets. Can spend 45d6 worth of energy before requiring a recharge. Causes some radiation backscatter, but the Loroi have pretty good radiation treatments.

Non-combat goodies:
Commlink / Emergency Distress Beacon
Personal Pad: Keep your favorite music or important mission stuff handy.
Flashlight
Breach Sealing Kit: Contains a roll of flexible patching material and an adhesive spray.
Flying Saucer Bot: A small disk shaped camera drone that can perform some task remotely.
Vision Enhancement Goggles: Low light and infrared vision.
Pocket Sensor: complete with geiger counter, chemical analyzer, video camera with microscopic attachment.
Sensor suite: A suitcase sized device that contains seismic, wideband radar, x-ray and lidar instruments.
Engineering Tool Kit: Each kit is specialized for a different repair task, but there is some overlap. Most have a screwdriver at least. Other common components are welding torches, multi-meters, wire clippers, soldering tools or those nice twisty wrenches.
Medkit
Spray bandages
Tranquilizers (species specific)

Any ideas on what kind of other outlandish equipment the Loroi should have?

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Owwww! No swords? :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Sunphoenix have a point. i think loroi would carry a melee weapon of some kind, if only to "show off" their martial capacity.

"Engineering Tool Kit: [...] must have a screwdriver" what about duct tape?! It THE most important part of any repair/engineering kit

Cover grenade (smoke, sensor distortion, flash etc)

breaching kit, (lockpick, keypad hack etc) unless your putting that in engineering tools.

Work suit precision; can it be used as an Hazmat suite too?

Fire weapon and extinguisher.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Heh.

Weapon enhancement electronics -
IR / UV Scopes
Telescopic Scopes
Laser Sight
Radar / Ladar Scope/Rangefinders
Image Enhancement Electronic Scopes
Thermograph Scope

Defensive Systems -
Remote auto-targeting Gun arrays
Anti-Laser Aerosols
Counter-Battery Laser Array

Powered Exo-Armor

Sensor Systems -
Sonic-pulse Motion Tracker

Remote Utility Drones
Remote Security Drones
Remote Attack Drones
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I included the knife stats because I knew that Loroi leaders sometimes carried a Seii with them. Getting stabbed with a jagged piece of bone is never going to be pleasant.

Engineering toolkits definitely come with duct tape, maybe some rubber bands and paperclips too. :)

Smoke grenades are go, work suits double as hazmat suits, fire extinguishers are a standard damage control tool ( I cant believe I forgot those )

breaching kit... I don't think there is going to be anything specifically designed for breaching because whatever security devices they might encounter will be totally unknown. That being said, a multi-meter, wire clippers, and a portable computer might work in a pinch, but don't expect to decode and decipher and alien computer system quickly. Also: your standard electronic multi-meter of the future is probably going to also have a non-linear junction detector.

Fancy scopes are standard for anything bigger than a pistol, and not generally applicable at pistol ranges anyway. Automated gyro-mounts may be required for the anti-tank weaponry. Counter-battery lasers are a bit much for this mission, the laser turrets on either ship can be used for point defense though.

Security armor is as close as anyone is getting to powered exo-armor, but the Loroi may have an unsheathed around to help with big things.

The DeSoto does carry a hanful of sensor probes that can be launched around here and there, dig into a planetoid or dive underwater/ammonia. Those and the Flying Saucer Bot are about the extent of the Terran use of remote robotics.

There's probably some surveying charges aboard the DeSoto (also, while it is not common knowledge aboard, the DeSoto is also carrying some fusion explosives) The Loroi do have a supply of AMMs for their interceptors, and might be able to spare one or two in a pinch.
-----
When I get off work tomorrow, I'm going to go over everyone's character in depth and see where that leads. I'm hoping to make the first in character post this weekend to start things off, but don't worry we can work out some of the details as we go.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Sorry i didnt do my character, i was believing that you were still building the system. but with your last message i fell it actually done even if it still confusing,

So ill ask the question here;

You did add a movement skill or no?
Some skill that are labeled as attribute/attribute (for exemple Reflex/fitness) do we add both of them or just take the higher? (or divide)

Also as it was said.
"Skills are purchased one rank at a time for the cost of the next desired rank."

more information on the formal education would be welcome just to be sure i understand how it will work.

do that mean it rank 1=1 point rank 2=3 point rank 3=6 rank 4=10 rank 5=15?

Still haven answered if we can add other skill to the mix.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I added a table that shows movement speeds. It isn't like we're going to be taking turns moving minis around a table so there is a little bit of abstraction involved. You add your fitness attribute to your movement skill and the check the table for the result. The table is for ideal situations, if there is difficult terrain, you'll probably make a skill roll to avoid slipping up, getting stuck or tumbling etc.

Most rolls are going to be Attribute+Skill. There may be bonuses or penalties depending on the situation, like if you're trying to navigate without the aid of a computer or something. The attribute/attribute is to indicate a split. While dodging and movement is both covered in the athletics skill, dodging is linked to reflexes while climbing and running is linked to fitness.

Rank 1 = 1 point, rank 2 = 3 points, rank 3=6 points, rank 4=10 points, rank 5 =15 points. yes.

If you have a specific skill in mind, run it by me. If it isn't already covered by something else, it should be fine.

I'm not going to implement any hard rules on formal education, but just remember that the TCA isn't in the habit of recruiting high school dropouts, thats all. Think about the kind of training that a NASA astronaut needs and let your imagination do the rest.

Language: Study of different languages, linguistics and language theory. Useful for deciphering unknown alien scripts or talking to someone who speaks one of humanities many different languages.

Literature/Arts/Cooking: A catchall category for the creatively inclined. Useful for understanding cultural significance and understanding otherwise strange traditions or behaviors.

Philosophy/Religion: It never hurts to understand the varying theories on morality. Useful for not going crazy in the depths of space or in the face of danger.

Archeology/Anthropology: A catch all for cultural investigation and interpretation. Also useful for digging up delicate things.

Economics/Political Science: Useful for formal interactions between different powers. Don't want to offend your new allies.

Psychology/Sociology: Useful for predicting how people or alien species will react to a given circumstance, as well as recognizing warning signs of mental stress in others.

Astronomy/Astrophysics: Useful for interpreting data and information on celestial bodies other space oddities.

Geology: Useful for interpreting data on planets, including satellite imagery in all the various wavelengths. Also good for studying core samples and stuff like that.

Biology/Medicine: Useful for interpreting data on alien life forms, defending against bio-engineered pathogens and healing wounds.

Chemistry/Chemical and Materials Engineering: Useful for identifying and manipulating chemical compounds, ceramics and high tech composites.

Physics/Nuclear and Fusion Engineering: Have you ever tried to make alterations to a fusion reactor? It isn't easy. Make a doomsday device from scrap? Are we going to have enough fuel to break orbit? A physicist would know!

Computer Science/Software Engineering: Useful for programming and automating computerized tasks and various computer stuff.

Mathematics/Statistics/Logistics: (I decided to merge these together, since they all shared a common theme) Useful for crunching numbers and quickly determining the significance of statistical data.

Aerospace Engineering: For repairing and modifying flight systems, solar panels, radiators, atmospheric surfaces, thrusters etc.

Electrical Engineering: If it has an electrical current, you ought to be able to fix it when it breaks. If it needs an electrical current, you ought to be able to power it up.

Computer Engineering: So your computer got cut in half by a laser, there's got to be a workaround somewhere.

Mechanical Engineering: Does it have moving parts? Don't lose a finger.

Structural Engineering: Armor plating, axial support beams, the floor you're walking on and the ceiling over your head. Wouldn't want them to fly apart at an inopportune moment would you?

Telepathy: Lifted pretty much verbatim from insider.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

LOL! Looked at your character Karst45! Nice build... I can't wait to RP Kamielle - Soldier/Martial Artist/Pilot 'Romantic' with your Westley - Pilot/Philosopher/Engineer 'Cowboy'! :)

Can't wait! LOL!
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

sunphoenix wrote:LOL! Looked at your character Karst45! Nice build... I can't wait to RP Kamielle - Soldier/Martial Artist/Pilot 'Romantic' with your Westley - Pilot/Philosopher/Engineer 'Cowboy'! :)

Can't wait! LOL!

yeah but remember: Whiskey, pistol and a horse is all a cowboy need :)

p.s. Philosopher?! really you had that felling about him?

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

So I did a round up of everyone's characters. Hopefully I didn't miss anything. I've got some questions for just about everyone, feel free to have fun with the answers.

-----
Lieutenant Kamielle Lynn - Pilot
As a world famous acrobat and marksman, have you won any particular trophies or medals in shooting contests, gymnastics or some related competition?

As one of the leading pilots and gunners in all of human space, anything in particular that is keeping you from the console on a Heavy Cruiser?

If you'd really like a special sword, you can go with a 1d6+2 weapon (same goes for Rox's combat knife) I hate to have to split hairs over stuff like that, just remember, anything you get to have, someone else might have as well :twisted:
------
Second Lieutenant Commander Hadrid "Rox" Ferox

I can let you get away with a 4d6+2 rifle, but don't expect to be carrying it around the ship everywhere. They've got rules about things that can pierce the vacuum seal. (Thats why security guards specifically don't use rifles or anything like that) At 6d6 you're getting close to 50cal range.

As a world renowned computer genius, what sorts of programs have you written?

As an world renowned engineering genius, have you invented any neat gadgets, space craft, kitchen appliances?

As a grand master tactician, are there any wargames you have participated in lately, top brass you've embarrassed; Chess Go, or Starcraft 5 masters you've beaten?

------
Westley "Cowboy" Earl. Shuttle Pilot.

You don't need to take the language skill multiple times for each language, just assume that you can know a number of languages up to your language skill rating plus your native language. So you can probably get some more skills.

As one of the leading pilots and gunners in all of human space, anything in particular keeping you from the bridge of a Heavy Cruiser? Maybe some bad rap with the high mucky mucks?

What sorts of drinks have you invented?

-------
Lieutenant Selina Callis. Doctor.

What kind of martial art does she practice?

What sorts of medical or psychological breakthroughs was she a part of? Maybe a nano treatment for radiation sickness or something?

-------
William O'Mahony 2nd Security Officer

What different kinds of totally awesome Martial arts has he invented?

Any particular reasons a famous supermodel (who probably could have gotten anything he wanted back home just by asking nicely) is on a rickety scout ship in the middle of nowhere?

As a grand master tactician, are there any wargames you have participated in lately, top brass you've embarrassed; Chess Go, or Starcraft 5 masters you've beaten?

------
Karl Jacobson, 1st Sensor Operator

As a leading expert on psychology/sociology, what sort of experiments did he perform and what ground breaking papers did he publish?

------
Mizol Lennai Lillasoni (her rank is certainly negotiable)

She could be an actual diplomat, or a spy who's current task is to get into the heads of the Terran fleet command (or something else). Since nobody else seems to have picked a Loroi, I'm going to guess you're the Loroi Liaison officer aboard the DeSoto, or maybe someone else? It is flexible at this point.