Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

D-503

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by D-503 »

Demarquis wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:36 am
Why would they be accelerating?
There´s also a plume when engines are idling.

Tamren

Post by Tamren »

Why wouldn't they be accelerating? The whole point of underway replenishment is to have the capability to resupply your ships without having them come to a stop. In the context of spaceships that means both the supply ship and the warship would be under acceleration with matched course and speed as the transfers are taking place. You wouldn't do something like this in combat, more likely the ships involved would be transiting across a star system to reach the next jump point.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Is it even possible to replenish taimat fuel tanks while the engines are working?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

If you stack ships nose-to-tail, even if you're in a situation where you don't need to accelerate right now... you're putting yourself in a situation where the ship in front can't light its engines without damaging the ship behind. That's just not a sensible thing to do unless you absolutely have to.
GeoModder wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:56 pm
Is it even possible to replenish taimat fuel tanks while the engines are working?
Sure. Most ships will probably have multiple fuel storage locations, but even if you only have one, it seems to me that the reaction chamber would ideally be decoupled from the fuel loading mechanism... or, at least, there would be several steps in between. If there's a problem in fuel handling and the taimat starts to lose its supercooling, you need to be able to quickly vent it before it explodes. Ideally you'd like to be able to do that only to the affected volume, and not your entire load of fuel.

It's a problem to safely vent even a small amount of fuel if you've got a bunch of ships stacked on top of each other.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

How do the Loroi (and by extension) the other races create gravity for their ships?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

SaintofM wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:21 am
How do the Loroi (and by extension) the other races create gravity for their ships?
I presume constant acceleration.
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

SaintofM wrote:
Onboard artificial gravity generators.
Outsider in Russian

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

SaintofM wrote:
Diamagnetism perhaps.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Artificial gravity is an effect of the inertial dampers.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

The rights of passage and initiation for warriors have been presented in great detail. But do Loroi males go through any particular rite of initiation? Like say for the Nedatan order?

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

"There´s also a plume when engines are idling."

There is? Wouldn't that by necessity impel a change in speed?

"Why wouldn't they be accelerating?"

Because in space acceleration isn't necessary for forward movement. Normally, to save fuel, I would assume you use acceleration as little as possible.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:24 pm
The rights of passage and initiation for warriors have been presented in great detail. But do Loroi males go through any particular rite of initiation? Like say for the Nedatan order?
The civilian guilds and male orders will have their own passage rites, but they won't involve survival ordeals or other martial tests. Civilian rites will vary based on the group and local subculture. For civilian guilds they're probably more like graduation from a college or trade school, perhaps with some elements of being inducted into a fraternity. For the Nedatan, it might be more like being inducted into a secret society, with elaborate and esoteric ritual. But I think that's something that would be kept secret, and not general knowledge.

D-503

Post by D-503 »

Demarquis wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:30 am
"There´s also a plume when engines are idling."

There is?
Yes.

Demarquis wrote:
"Why wouldn't they be accelerating?"
Did i say otherwise?

Demarquis wrote:
Normally, to save fuel, I would assume you use acceleration as little as possible.
I´d run the engines on their max efficency to save fuel/get the most acceleration out of a certain amount of fuel.
Ususally that is somewhere between idle and full throttle (at least with the most types of engines we know of today - maybe that´s different with Taimat or historians reactionless drives?).

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

From your answer, it isn't clear to me if you understand how spacecraft engines work. In space there is no air resistance, so once a certain velocity is achieved, the spaceship can then continue coasting forever. To maximize delta v, it makes sense to turn the engines off as soon as one reaches the desired velocity. The most efficient acceleration setting is "zero".

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Gentlemen, if you can't make your point without insulting the other person, don't post.

Just because the other person is being rude doesn't give you permission to be rude too.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:30 pm
Gentlemen, if you can't make your point without insulting the other person, don't post.

Just because the other person is being rude doesn't give you permission to be rude too.
Spoken like a true gentleman.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Snoofman wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:07 pm
Does that mean you're a proponent of "pistols at dawn"? :o

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

GeoModder wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:22 pm
Snoofman wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:07 pm
Does that mean you're a proponent of "pistols at dawn"? :o
Tradition dictates that the accused choose the challenge. True Fact Abrham Lincoln managed to avoid one by choosing swords, and using his height swung his sword and hit a tree branch to prove a point (his opponent realized he didn't, so conceded).

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Duell for the gentlemen?
https://youtu.be/rHT6dU1Tj0w?t=12
(sorry, it's German)
A short story about a duel to death, and both participants are having their first duel. And the judge has to explain the steps.
Which these guys tend to follow (partly) to the letter....

Or another one, where knowledge of German is a lot less relevant to get the joke: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/lwJ70oLI4rM
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:30 pm

If I was rude, I apologize. But I was being sincere, I'm genuinely confused regarding if he understands this point or not.