Chapter 2 cover

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

fredgiblet

Re: Chapter 2 cover

Post by fredgiblet »

So are the "(edited)"s spoilers or "eh, I'll fill it in later"?

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Arioch wrote:The Fireblade sheet is reasonably accurate to the current state of the comic, but I wouldn't say the one for Beryl holds up nearly as well. In GURPS you hunt through the list of disadvantages trying to get extra points for better advantages, but also looking for the germ of an idea that can lead to more interesting character development. For Fireblade, the disadvantages for lack of fine control of her PK led to a very interesting story of how she got to be that way, but the attempt to describe the more volatile side of Beryl's personality with the game-defined constructs of "Bad Temper" and "Impulsiveness" didn't work quite as well.

Also, some details have changed subtly in the years since the sheets were made. For example, there was an initial notion that Beryl's youth was an issue with her more senior fellow officers, but since a significant number of the crew are even younger than she is, that particular idea doesn't really hold up... or, at least, it's not an issue that's unique to Beryl.
Looking at Beryls sheet...I see a lot of different science branches. She comes of as a Reed Richards kind of character - the Omnidisciplinary Scientist.
And at the age of 14 to boot! (yes, I know Loroi mature faster, but I still consider that bad)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

fredgiblet wrote:So are the "(edited)"s spoilers or "eh, I'll fill it in later"?
A bit of both.
TrashMan wrote:Looking at Beryls sheet...I see a lot of different science branches. She comes of as a Reed Richards kind of character - the Omnidisciplinary Scientist. And at the age of 14 to boot! (yes, I know Loroi mature faster, but I still consider that bad)
Again, these sheets were made primarily to put bounds around the Loroi characters' physical and psionic abilities; the mental/professional skills are an afterthought, and they really aren't GURPS' strong suit anyway -- though you're limited to age x 2 points in skills, if you have a high IQ and Eidetic Memory, you can get a ton of very high skill levels very cheaply. And a GURPS professional skill abstracts both professional knowledge and skill in the same attribute.

Beryl is a data analyst -- she isn't any kind of scientist, and won't be doing any professional biochemistry or geology or physics work. That said, she does have a photographic memory, and there's a lot of data packed in her head. If you ask her a question about biochemistry or geology or physics, she's very likely to know the answer.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

TrashMan wrote:Looking at Beryls sheet...I see a lot of different science branches. She comes of as a Reed Richards kind of character - the Omnidisciplinary Scientist.
And at the age of 14 to boot! (yes, I know Loroi mature faster, but I still consider that bad)
If I remember right, 1 character point on skill represent 200 hours of experienxe/practise.
You need 10 000 hours for being a master, so Beryl has wide area of knowledge, but she is still mostly greenhorn.
Supporter of forum RPG

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

bunnyboy wrote:
TrashMan wrote:Looking at Beryls sheet...I see a lot of different science branches. She comes of as a Reed Richards kind of character - the Omnidisciplinary Scientist.
If I remember right, 1 character point on skill represent 200 hours of experienxe/practise.
You need 10 000 hours for being a master, so Beryl has wide area of knowledge, but she is still mostly greenhorn.
Except that doesn't really translate, what's important isn't the points, it's the skill level, with Beryl's IQ stat and memory 1 point grants her the same effective skill as a college grad.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

fredgiblet wrote:Except that doesn't really translate, what's important isn't the points, it's the skill level, with Beryl's IQ stat and memory 1 point grants her the same effective skill as a college grad.
Still greenhorn, but she is smart enough to easily understand anything what takes normal people years to learn.
Supporter of forum RPG

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Arioch wrote:I did sheets for all four of the main characters (Alex, Fireblade, Beryl & Tempo),
So they be with us over the full story arc? Then Fireblade will become some sort of Alex´ bodyguard, i guess?
sapere aude.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Trantor wrote:
Arioch wrote:I did sheets for all four of the main characters (Alex, Fireblade, Beryl & Tempo),
So they be with us over the full story arc? Then Fireblade will become some sort of Alex´ bodyguard, i guess?
I doubt that, since Fireblade is part of the Teidar on the Tempest IIRC :|
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

NOMAD wrote:I doubt that, since Fireblade is part of the Teidar on the Tempest IIRC :|
They (beryl, Alex, fireblade, tempo and talon) escape on a shuttle when Tempest get destroyed. Problem solved.

Now the webcomic is renamed "Alex's island" and they try to build long range radio from coco nuts.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Trantor wrote:
More likely Alex is going to spend the duration of the story in or near Tempest.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Karst45 wrote:
NOMAD wrote:I doubt that, since Fireblade is part of the Teidar on the Tempest IIRC :|
They (beryl, Alex, fireblade, tempo and talon) escape on a shuttle when Tempest get destroyed. Problem solved.

Now the webcomic is renamed "Alex's island" and they try to build long range radio from coco nuts.
Oh yeah I can just see it, and Alex is Gilligan ( hey Major . . . Major . . . I think I saw a shell)
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Sprawl63

Post by Sprawl63 »

While we're here, I'll share a great peace of fan art I found on a big Outsider thread on /tg/.

RaZ

Post by RaZ »

that is..... creepy. funny, but creepy.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Looks like Martin Koza's work. I'm assuming the nekkid Fireblade was by him also.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote:I'm assuming the nekkid Fireblade was by him also.
nekkid fireblade... we are talking about the bike right?

HanEmpire

Post by HanEmpire »

Hello, I'm a new member here on this forum.
I got introduced to Outsider via a /tg/ thread on 4chan:
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/15972165/

The images you're talking about can be found there as well.

On another note, this is a fantastic comic Arioch. I'm hyped for what's to come.
Last edited by HanEmpire on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tamren

Post by Tamren »

There is another picture from that thread I forgot to save. I think it was a coloured concept of what Outsider would look like back in 1998, or something like that.

It had Tempo, Beryl and Fireblade posing as a group. But given the current uniforms, they looked like they were cosplaying as Elerians from MOO2.

I'm pretty sure that one isn't on the Insider.

HanEmpire

Post by HanEmpire »

Retro Outsider:
I like the Amazonian look they're sporting.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Don't go to 4chan boards on Outisder. DO NOT GO THERE.

You will be sacrred for life. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Riess

Post by Riess »

Hreh, I knew you'd recognize my style. So much for being anon. :oops:

EDIT: Oh god what happened in that thread while I was sleeping
Our Intrepid Crew - Space Opera Webcomic