Some questions about outsider

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

ed_montague

Re: Some questions about outsider

Post by ed_montague »

You know, it would be interesting to see Alex curse at something or another (maybe the Umiak scored a direct hit on Tempest or something, I dunno) then have to explain the meaning of that particular phrase to curious Loroi bystanders. Beryl especially, since she's supposed to start learning English and everything. It would be even funnier if he managed to teach her to swear like a sailor (although after the first few cluster f-bombs the strip might start pushing the upper limits of PG-13).

Just a thought.
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling-place
The stars my destination

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote:But don't worry that I will feel confined by some arbitrary rating when deciding exactly how to tell the story... I will do whatever seems appropriate at the time for the current page. The self-rating is just me trying to be a good citizen and give sensitive readers or parents appropriate warning about what they are likely to see.
Anyway even if it was classed 21+ am sure some 16 y.o would look at it. and they probably have seen worst thing. It like Games Rating. How manytime i seen at Game stop some 14ish child buying an Rated R game. Or even the Parent buying it for them then they would come back a few day later (probably thinking we wouldn't recognize them) to get a refund because the game too violent :S
Absalom wrote:A distinct lack of poorly-drawn couches, poorly-drawn gaming consoles, poorly-drawn clip-art, and boring jokes about recent games, are all big reasons.
Are you saying that because it a Quality comic and story it wont be popular? That what appeal to the mass is no-brainer movie/comic/story?

javcs

Post by javcs »

Karst45 wrote:
Arioch wrote:But don't worry that I will feel confined by some arbitrary rating when deciding exactly how to tell the story... I will do whatever seems appropriate at the time for the current page. The self-rating is just me trying to be a good citizen and give sensitive readers or parents appropriate warning about what they are likely to see.
Anyway even if it was classed 21+ am sure some 16 y.o would look at it. and they probably have seen worst thing. It like Games Rating. How manytime i seen at Game stop some 14ish child buying an Rated R game. Or even the Parent buying it for them then they would come back a few day later (probably thinking we wouldn't recognize them) to get a refund because the game too violent :S
'S'true. Almost nobody pays much attention to ratings, except when they're trying to make a point or be an ass.
I consider them guidelines for what the content will be like, and generally ignore them.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Karst45 wrote:
Absalom wrote:A distinct lack of poorly-drawn couches, poorly-drawn gaming consoles, poorly-drawn clip-art, and boring jokes about recent games, are all big reasons.
Are you saying that because it a Quality comic and story it wont be popular? That what appeal to the mass is no-brainer movie/comic/story?
*cough* Twilight *cough* Bieber *cough* [whatever the Internet decides to bash next right here] *cough*
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Karst45 wrote:
Having read Penny Arcade (which is something of an outlier here, since it isn't actually bad), as well as some of the... lesser gamer comics out there, yes I basically am (I was actually pointing out that Outsider isn't a gamer comic).

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

ed_montague wrote:
Karst45 wrote:
*cough* Twilight *cough* Bieber *cough* [whatever the Internet decides to bash next right here] *cough*

I would like to apologize about Bieber we are working to solve this problem...

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Karst45 wrote:I would like to apologize about Bieber we are working to solve this problem...

:mrgreen:
sapere aude.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

shhhhh!! your not supposed to reveal our plan yet!

Michael

Post by Michael »

its ok, us brits have a back up plan if you should fail
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

what your plan? cause we just planned on crating him and shipping him to England.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Karst45 wrote:what your plan? cause we just planned on crating him and shipping him to England.
No no no that won't work. I say give him back to the Canadians.

Or we could send him off to Japan. The universe of J-pop will surely welcome someone as well-versed as he. We might even get a blockbuster movie out of it, because Hollywood certainly hasn't finished using up its "Japan takes over the world" arsenal.

I can see it now: The Singer and the Shogun: Bieber Does Japan.
[Cut to BIEBER and BUSINESS EXECUTIVE 1]
Bieber: Is everything prepared, Mr. Tsukasa?
Mr. Tsukasa: Of course, Bieber-san. We have eliminated all opposition.
Bieber: This is it. Today, we prepare. Tonight...we take over the international J-pop community!
[Ominous music plays. Fade to black.]
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

The J-Pop business would chew Bieber up and spit him out. He'd then be forced to work in a maid cafe as a "Trap" waitress.

Which, dragging the topic back on topic as a general questions thread, begs the question...

To what extent is androgyny present in Loroi culture?
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

ed_montague wrote:
Karst45 wrote:what your plan? cause we just planned on crating him and shipping him to England.

Or we could send him off to Japan. The universe of J-pop will surely welcome someone as well-versed as he. We might even get a blockbuster movie out of it, because Hollywood certainly hasn't finished using up its "Japan takes over the world" arsenal.

I can see it now: The Singer and the Shogun: Bieber Does Japan.
[Cut to BIEBER and BUSINESS EXECUTIVE 1]
Bieber: Is everything prepared, Mr. Tsukasa?
Mr. Tsukasa: Of course, Bieber-san. We have eliminated all opposition.
Bieber: This is it. Today, we prepare. Tonight...we take over the international J-pop community!
[Ominous music plays. Fade to black.]
Guys, guys. We want to get rid of Bieber. If he's in Canada, or Japan, he's still ultimately here. This is a forum for a sci-fi webcomic. Surely one of us is into big rockets, or knows someone who is. I say, strap him to the biggest rocket we can find, point it in a direction away from Earth, and hit the launch button. Problem solved. :D

Durabys

Post by Durabys »

It was just me or have I have mis-read crating as "cratering". You know, in Biebers case, I dunno even if an orbital mass driver bombardment would be enough. :roll:
Si vis pacem, para bellum. - If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

The mountain of fangirls would protect him. Regenerating ablative armor FTW.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

ed_montague wrote:
That border's more porous than the Mexican one!

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

All of us are thinking too much of the short-term. A far better idea would be to keep him contained for use as a weapon of mass destruction.

Ensign Jardin: The seven worlds of Humanity have decided that we should ally ourselves with the Loroi. We are prepared to give any aid necessary in order to support our new comrades.
Stillstorm: I've seen your people's technology, and all of it was severely outclassed by anything the Umiak will throw at us. How do you expect to help, if you--
[A rocket loaded with a "special" warhead blasts past the Tempest.]
Ensign Jardin: Um, you guys might want to put on ear protection now or something. Things might get dangerous in a little bit...
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Mr Bojangles wrote: Guys, guys. We want to get rid of Bieber. If he's in Canada, or Japan, he's still ultimately here. This is a forum for a sci-fi webcomic. Surely one of us is into big rockets, or knows someone who is. I say, strap him to the biggest rocket we can find, point it in a direction away from Earth, and hit the launch button. Problem solved. :D
*bieber is send back 10 year later with a foreign message*

Keep your garbage with you. Next time we will consider this an act of war!
Razor One wrote: The J-Pop business would chew Bieber up and spit him out. He'd then be forced to work in a maid cafe as a "Trap" waitress.
dont know why but this video is quite disturbing

and what a trap waitress?
Last edited by Karst45 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Karst45 wrote:and what a trap waitress?
Looking at the context of the situation, I would assume that he was referring to an individual that appears to be female but is in reality transgendered. The comment mentioning the "trap" probably implies that Bieber can be easily misidentified as female.

Really, this is getting quite harsh. We should stop making fun of her.
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

Karst45 wrote:
Mr Bojangles wrote: Guys, guys. We want to get rid of Bieber. If he's in Canada, or Japan, he's still ultimately here. This is a forum for a sci-fi webcomic. Surely one of us is into big rockets, or knows someone who is. I say, strap him to the biggest rocket we can find, point it in a direction away from Earth, and hit the launch button. Problem solved. :D
*bieber is send back 10 year later with a foreign message*

Keep your garbage with you. Next time we will consider this an act of war!
Hmm, point. Solution: aim the rocket at the sun.