Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

inxsi

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by inxsi »

Snoofman wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:32 am
How do Loroi females, especially high-ranking ones or those working with the Intelligence Community and handle sensitive information, conceal their secrets when copulating with males? If physical contact amplifies the telepathic link, wouldn't that make keeping secrets harder? Unless females can enjoy themselves without giving anything away. Or are males bound by a strict code never to reveal what happens in the bedroom? Kind of like the way therapists and lawyers are bound by oaths not to reveal information about their clients.
If the male does learn anything, wouldn't he have the same issue as the female of keeping it secret. Even more so since he will be having sex again soon enough and it is "needed" for his health?

Now I wonder if there are males cleared for mating with mizol and how they manage compartmentalizing it. I assume the advice to a mizol is that if you are thinking about work while mating, you obviously do not deserve the mating encounter. Not sure what they do about those flashes of insight that come at the oddest times though :D

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:32 am
How do Loroi females, especially high-ranking ones or those working with the Intelligence Community and handle sensitive information, conceal their secrets when copulating with males? If physical contact amplifies the telepathic link, wouldn't that make keeping secrets harder? Unless females can enjoy themselves without giving anything away. Or are males bound by a strict code never to reveal what happens in the bedroom? Kind of like the way therapists and lawyers are bound by oaths not to reveal information about their clients.
Well, this is a significant issue, but...
a) Highly-placed Loroi officers tend to have significant telepathic power and/or control;
b) High-ranking males (especially Nedatan) have a code of ethics regarding encounters (akin to our doctor-patient or attourney-client privilege);
b) The intelligence services pay particular attention to this possible avenue of information leakage;
c) "All's fair in love and war," as long as the enemy aren't alien cyborg bug-monsters seeking to wipe your species out.

In all, it's yet another reason why attachment with a particular male is not considered a healthy thing.

jterlecki

Post by jterlecki »

Are the Loroi aware of other species by proxy? A bit like the Roman and Chinese empires were aware of each other, but too far away to realistically interact with each other?

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I could not find any information about the psi-amplifiers themselves. What are they made of and could they be invented by mere chance? Do they have similarities with any other equipment? Also, what happens when a untrained telepath equips a untailored amplifier?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

jterlecki wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:28 pm
Are the Loroi aware of other species by proxy? A bit like the Roman and Chinese empires were aware of each other, but too far away to realistically interact with each other?
Yes.
Cthulhu wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:43 pm
I could not find any information about the psi-amplifiers themselves. What are they made of and could they be invented by mere chance? Do they have similarities with any other equipment? Also, what happens when a untrained telepath equips a untailored amplifier?
The amplifiers are made from metals and ceramics. Loroi didn't invent them; rather, they discovered examples in the Soia ruins on Mezan and copied them.

A customized amplifier more effective than a generic one. Not all PK's respond to amplification, even when attempts are made to customize.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Cthulhu wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:43 pm
There were actually several diplomatic missions between the empires, a few travel accounts and of course trade. Far reaching trade networks have existed for a very long time.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

This is not regarding the Loroi.

Are there any contingency plans at all if for some reason the author passes away?

Would we at least get to see a cliff notes version of how everything was supposed to end?

Not trying to be dark, I am just being realistic, especially given how crazy the last year has been. As I lost family during the pandemic and am well aware that life is a gift day to day and not a promise.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

What kind of acceleration do missiles in the Outsider -verse do? Obviously higher than 30g, otherwise they could not catch the Loroi.

How high are missiles in Outsider accelerating?

Average Loroi missile?

Torpedoes?

Umiak missiles?

Human missiles?

Just curious because at the close combat range...which is 10,000 kilometers or closer, acceleration decides how fast a vessel or missile can cover that. It's all math obviously, but it almost goes without saying that the closer a target is, the more likely it will die to missile spam, since unless destroyed outright or dodged the missiles will intercept the target assuming they don't run out of propellant first.

Also I reckon missiles do more damage to shields and hull than all but the most uber beam weapons...right?

Which is the opposite of Star Trek, where beams are better at weakening shields, but torpedoes are better at wrecking hulls.

EDIT: Do not be surprised if I bring up old cold war two stage Sprint missiles....assuming Outsider missiles do 100g's or less. And that they designed later on paper missiles that could go faster still but never flew them. Nowadays I reckon they could go higher still LOL. Cold war was decades ago.

Even if Outsider missiles are only 100g's there is no need to feel bad, classified stuff is only released to the public when it is.

Who knows what they have or are designing now.

Besides the fact that not all readers are as big of a rocket nerd as I am LOL.

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

Bamax wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:40 pm
Would we at least get to see a cliff notes version of how everything was supposed to end?
The war ends, there is peace between bug and blueskin. Alex remains as an ambassador, and brings with him the secret of ice cream.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

spacewhale wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:28 pm
Bamax wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:40 pm
The war ends, there is peace between bug and blueskin. Alex remains as an ambassador, and brings with him the secret of ice cream.

I tend to think "Make peace not war." will be the ultimate final message of the story too.

Why? Because based on Outsider history, it would seem that all precursor races died in the fires of apocalyptic war.

The only thing new would be if the cycle was actually broken for a change.

Love wins! As the author made a trifle pic comic joking about the same thing.

That won't mean getting there won't involve action and danger and drama. I am sure it will. Which is why the comic is interesting in the first place.

Suspense. Mystery. Realistic characterization. Plenty to like.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Bamax wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:49 pm
What kind of acceleration do missiles in the Outsider -verse do? Obviously higher than 30g, otherwise they could not catch the Loroi.
https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/weap ... l#missiles

ABM's like Sprint could accelerate at hundreds of g, but only for a few seconds.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:10 am
Bamax wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:49 pm
https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/weap ... l#missiles

ABM's like Sprint could accelerate at hundreds of g, but only for a few seconds.

I know...but in space that may be all you need...especially if it staged three or four times and does not have to fight planetary gravity or atmosphere like Sprint or it's successrs. Last stage would be less thrust but could home in on target with it.

I actually think humanity even now could nake a 200g staged space based missile, perhaps even 400 if one goes for broke...it would be expensive though.

The Terrans would benefit from it if nothing else.

I think the ultimate missile would be half Loroi/human.

Meaning a 300g missile that can either hit or explode with a focused Loroi plasma beam (casaba howitzer human tech upgraded with Lorou plasma).

Whether it hits or dies, if anything is in front of it, it will take damage.

Expensive and one shot? You bet! Effective? Yes if you just HAVE to hit a target no matter what and it is close by..
Last edited by Bamax on Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Is there any information on how long it takes the loroi to recover from injuries with their technology? Like Fireblade's eye injury from page 180?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Bamax wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:18 am
I know...but in space that may be all you need...especially if it staged three or four times and does not have to fight planetary gravity or atmosphere like Sprint or ot's successirs. Last stage would be less thruat but could home in on target with it.

Loroi AMM-250's can accelerate at 400g for a little bit less than 60 seconds, but they are still only useful as short-range point-defense weapons when it comes to ship-to-ship combat. To catch a 30g accelerating target at ranges out to and beyond 300 million kilometers, you need a burn much longer than 5 or even 60 seconds.
inxsi wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:28 am
Is there any information on how long it takes the loroi to recover from injuries with their technology? Like Fireblade's eye injury from page 180?
I haven't given it a lot of thought, but I think treating an eye injury like that would involve both surgery and gene therapy, which I'm guessing might take about a month to construct the replacement eye, and then several months of recovery and rehabilitation for her to both heal and learn how to use the new eye.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:41 am
Bamax wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:18 am
I know...but in space that may be all you need...especially if it staged three or four times and does not have to fight planetary gravity or atmosphere like Sprint or ot's successirs. Last stage would be less thruat but could home in on target with it.

Loroi AMM-250's can accelerate at 400g for a little bit less than 60 seconds, but they are still only useful as short-range point-defense weapons when it comes to ship-to-ship combat. To catch a 30g accelerating target at ranges out to and beyond 300 million kilometers, you need a burn much longer than 5 or even 60 seconds.
inxsi wrote:
I haven't given it a lot of thought, but I think treating an eye injury like that would involve both surgery and gene therapy, which I'm guessing might take about a month to construct the replacement eye, and then several months of recovery and rehabilitation for her to both heal and learn how to use the new eye.

10,000 kilometer or closer is ideal...Umiak seem big fans of this as of recent times (Naam battle in comic).

30g at that range is actually precisely why missiles could hit if fired at close enough range (a few thousand kilometers, ideally less than ten).

Given newtonian drift, ships only have a finite amount of directions to dodge in, because going backward quickly is not happening when you have a lot of excess forward momentum in whatever direction you have been going.

Newtonian physics, much like in Asteroids or Space War, those really old games I still enjoy.

All you really have to do is chase a ship up the rear, they seem to have a nimber of blindspots, unless they also have a bunch of hidden guns that also pop out the hull.

Flying out in front is 50/50, as yes the ship can shoot the missile but it has less time to do so since it is flying toward it while the missile is flying toward it.

Sideways dodging is probably the best escape tactic while strafing.

Missiles being as fast as they are, would have multiple chances to miss a target at close range and try again if not shot down.

Unless yoy have wide beam shot ability at close range, missiles at close range goig that fast will be hard even for point defense.

Unless point defense is near Star Trek Enterprise TNG level and accuracy....where it is nigh impossible to dodge beams, so much that it made fighters virtually irrelavent since they would get zapped in seconds or less

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Bamax wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:22 am
Given newtonian drift, ships only have a finite amount of directions to dodge in, because going backward quickly is not happening when you have a lot of excess forward momentum in whatever direction you have been going.
Velocity is largely irrelevant when targeting objects in space; what matters is acceleration. An object going 10,000 m/s is exactly as easy to hit as one that is stationary relative to you, because both are equally predictable if neither is accelerating. If a target is accelerating, then what a targeting program has to worry about is how much the target can change its current velocity, or in other words, how far can it move from the path that you predict based on its current velocity. At 30g and a distance of 1 light second, that uncertainly is more than a ship-length.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:22 am
Bamax wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:22 am
Velocity is largely irrelevant when targeting objects in space; what matters is acceleration. An object going 10,000 m/s is exactly as easy to hit as one that is stationary relative to you, because both are equally predictable if neither is accelerating. If a target is accelerating, then what a targeting program has to worry about is how much the target can change its current velocity, or in other words, how far can it move from the path that you predict based on its current velocity. At 30g and a distance of 1 light second, that uncertainly is more than a ship-length.
You may get your rest and reply whenever you like if it is late for you.

Please pardon my language because I really mean you no harm, but what *seed head* fires a missile at a whole lightsecond away?! That's for beams!

I recommend doing what the Umiak do. Get close. Really close. Firing beams all the way in, since Loroi can actually do that. If the Loroi can survive (maybe they cannot which is why they do not do the following) then once they get within a within a tile, (10,000 kilometers) get closer still, but not by much.

I have not done the calculations, but I am reasonably certain that if if a target is engaged by ultra-fast missiles at 10,000 kilometers or less, a hit can be fairly certain if the attack is overwhelming enough.

From the numbers, it's safe to say that the Loroi can spare at least 30 seconds at 200-300g or whatever max acceleration is. Plug that in and how long does it take to cover 10,000 kilometers? 8,000? 5,000? 3,000?

Space combat is math. Pure math. It's all very predictable, you will know ahead of time if your missile should hit or if it's chances are slim to none.

And this is also ignoring that in theory, the Loroi could make a 1000g Orion style pusher plate missile. Just explode sufficient type A fuel surrounded by a sufficient mass to create a shaped plasma blast at a specific distance directed at the plate connected via pistons and that missile will accelerate at speeds that will be shocking. Orion has thrust that punches above rockets because it's an external blast reaction engine. Type A fuel only amplifies this manifold.

With AM, you can make much smaller, powerful nukes. Type A fuel just makes it all easier.

I won't tell you what to do, but the physics say they COULD do it unless you know something about Type A fuel that precludes using it in an oriom style pusher plate missile.

It need not be huge, and no living thing is inside so it can handle the g-force.

It is entirely possible and it would even seem that Loroi and Umiak have done things like so for so long that they have not considered....better. ways. Or peace, which would be preferable to war anyway.

Unless they can't do the Orion missile because it's not viable, but you would know that better than I.

How long would a 1000g orion missile take to cross 10,000 kilometers? Pulsing every two seconds with bombs the size of basketballs, 60 bombs per orion missile. That's 60 1000g pulses of acceleration.

I am thinking not long,a minute or less. Something will get hit.

Good news is that the tech is fairly straightforward, so long Type A does not have issues that preclude using it this way.

Perhaps it does, and if that is so yeah, the Loroi are doomed until heroics by brave heroes and unexpected events save them.

Really I am not sure a Loroi or a Umiak victory is ideal since they are both genocidal. Some type of peace is the only way the story ends without one side utterly wiping out the other, because that is the intent on both sides. And war will never end either, since the Loroi won't be the only ones to not want to put up with scary bugs.

Peace or war.

It has been said that war is just another type of politics, which is all.about getting what one wants. When talking fails to get what you want, then comes the sword. Once it is no longer necessary, then people start talking again.

Perhaps the real problem is when what you want is an entire race wiped out of existence. That kind of thing cannot be talked over. Only fought until someone ceases to exist.
Last edited by Bamax on Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Bamax wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:27 am
Please pardon my language because I really mean you no harm, but what *seed head* fires a missile at a whole lightsecond away?!
The Umiak do. To draw fire away from their larger ships.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Arioch wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:41 am
inxsi wrote:
Instead of growing the organ outside the body and then implanting it, they could stimulate the cells to regrow the tissue/implant cells as a starter. It would mean less invasive surgeries and the body could relearn to use the organ while it is growing.
It shouldn't be more difficult to make cells grow inside a body than it is in a petri dish. All they need to do is reactivate cell behaviour from early life. If I were a Soia, I would have put in place a system for the Loroi body to regrow tissue that can be activated easily with space age medical care.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:34 am
Bamax wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:27 am
Please pardon my language because I really mean you no harm, but what *seed head* fires a missile at a whole lightsecond away?!
The Umiak do. To draw fire away from their larger ships.

Well that explains why the Loroi murder their missiles so hard LOL.

Whatever the Umiak idea of money is surely is like going up in flames every time they do this.

At a light second out, that's a almost a turkey shoot for even IRL space weapons.

The only thing that makes it not so is that the missiles can evade and coast a lot, and by then it would be far too late anyway.

It would be much simpler if they followed a simple trajectory and we zapped them all a light second away.

But that would be too easy...for us, so they pulse and coast a bit I'm sure.
Last edited by Bamax on Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.