Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

CrimsonFALKE

Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thread

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:38 am
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:27 am
What do the Hardtroops eat do they simply recharge in a wall socket?
I take it the whole flee dines on this?

kfcroc18

Post by kfcroc18 »

Do the Umiak have holidays?

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

In this setting, should there be an Alcubierra-like drive in use (warp drive), it would seem impractical compared to the currently in use jump drives in terms of time needed to get from system to system.

The last theoretical reported speed the Alcubierra drive could reach was ten times the speed of light, with lower being the estimated average. While this makes it practical for traveling to nearby stars within one's own lifetime, and even could allow some forms of commerce, this is roughly the equivalent to Star Trek's speed of Warp Two. In the series ENTERPRISE, prior to the launch of the NX-01, and its Warp Five engine, most of Starfleet and civilian traffic were moving from system to system at around Warp Two, and thus they had the Boomers. People who had been born and raised on freighters that were doing between Warp 1.2 and Warp 2 between stars and it would take years to make some runs between colonies or known alien worlds.

At the high end, an Alcubierra Drive would take slightly over five mouths to reach the TCA colonies of Alpha or Proxima from Earth (Alpha Centaruri systems are 4.3 light years from Earth). Aldea would take a little over fourteen months to reach from Earth (Tau Ceti is 11.9 light years away). And Esperanza would take almost two years to reach (82 Eridan being 1.97 light years away from Earth).

The Bellarmine, if equipped with such a drive, would have taken twenty years to reach Loroi space.
Last edited by Ithekro on Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

As I understand it, there is still some debate over whether or not an Alcubierre drive will actually allow FTL speeds or just very fast sublight speeds. But in either case, it requires so much energy that even if it were possible, it would probably not be practical.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

dragoongfa wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:59 am
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:27 am
What do the Hardtroops eat do they simply recharge in a wall socket?
Their electronic parts probably have a rechargeable and easily exchangeable battery pack. Their fleshy parts, that would depend what they found best; either they kept their internal digestive track (tongues, stomachs, intestines and etc) and thus have some sort of a hidden mechanized mouth or they completely removed the digestive system and supply their needs intravenously.

The former is far better in terms of logistics as they will eat the same food as every other Umiak and would allow them to feed off the land in case of logistical problems. The later would allow them to be active on the battlefield for extended periods of time without issue as they would simply insert a fresh 'nutri pack' in their system in a few seconds whenever required and be able to keep going for far longer than if they kept their digestive systems and their requirements for sustenance, however this would require an uninterrupted supply chain for the specially prepared 'nutri packs'.
Well a fully mechanical design would be good to simply reduce supply line strain as a truck full of batteries would hold more supplies than a truck full of food and batteries. Still I know the Umiaki have no issue with either. Still it would be cool to see how they run supplie duties and eat with those 3 piece jaws.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:00 pm
As I understand it, there is still some debate over whether or not an Alcubierre drive will actually allow FTL speeds or just very fast sublight speeds. But in either case, it requires so much energy that even if it were possible, it would probably not be practical.
I recall sublight warp is theretically possible.

The show stoppers are that you need negative mass or a lot pf negative energy...so far it....negative matter, exists only on paper. And negative energy is something notciced most at tiny scales.

Also the energy budget is slightly better than the mass of Jupiter converted into warp.
I say slightly because it's still a lot.

Thw voyager space probe converted into energy. About 2 tons.

For comparison the A-bomb dropped in Jspan converted a paper clip's worth of mass into energt.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

How do the standard Umaki eat their food i mean there has to be a ruling elite that get the caviar and champagne? They are not bugs and do have some culture its just hard to see given how OCD they are about their work.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:04 am
How do the standard Umaki eat their food i mean there has to be a ruling elite that get the caviar and champagne? They are not bugs and do have some culture its just hard to see given how OCD they are about their work.
The true overlords do:

I think that with how they see themselves as cogs in the machine and that all their competition is geared towards being even better cogs then the others, they would regard individual luxury as a sacriledge.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Cthulhu wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:59 pm
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:04 am
The true overlords do:

I think that with how they see themselves as cogs in the machine and that all their competition is geared towards being even better cogs then the others, they would regard individual luxury as a sacriledge.
I guess so but I still wonder how and what the civilian leaders eat.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I don' think the Umiak have civilians at all.
Or if they have civilians, they won't have military.

All are subservient to the state.
They may separate more along Engineers/Bureaucrats/Frontline Soldiers, than Military/Civilians
The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story! Late backing possible, more info soon.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Cthulhu wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:59 pm
The true overlords do:
Cut for sizeShow
Looks like New Year celebration in Russia.
Outsider in Russian

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:25 pm
Though the first Umiak you're likely to meet face to face are hardtroops, they're just the tip of the spear; the majority of Umiak crews are biological, like Kikitik-27, even though they may be gene-modified and artificially birthed. They eat normal food in the same way we do, and they're also omnivorous.

The Umiak homeworld had/has both vertebrate and invertebrate animals which the Umiak ancestors preyed upon, and their natural weaponry can slash at a deer analogue or crack the shell of a giant lobster analogue. The ecosystem of "Empire" is not as diverse as it once was, but the Umiak have plenty of "farm" grown foodstuffs replicated from their homeworld, as well as all manner of alien food items from their vast Hierarchy to choose from.

Umiak leadership are not ostentatious in their privilege. If the Loroi are nuts about duty and honesty, the Umiak are nuts about duty and humility. If the top councilors do partake in hedonistic Roman feast-orgies, they do it quietly behind closed doors.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:50 pm
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:25 pm
Though the first Umiak you're likely to meet face to face are hardtroops, they're just the tip of the spear; the majority of Umiak crews are biological, like Kikitik-27, even though they may be gene-modified and artificially birthed. They eat normal food in the same way we do, and they're also omnivorous.

The Umiak homeworld had/has both vertebrate and invertebrate animals which the Umiak ancestors preyed upon, and their natural weaponry can slash at a deer analogue or crack the shell of a giant lobster analogue. The ecosystem of "Empire" is not as diverse as it once was, but the Umiak have plenty of "farm" grown foodstuffs replicated from their homeworld, as well as all manner of alien food items from their vast Hierarchy to choose from.

Umiak leadership are not ostentatious in their privilege. If the Loroi are nuts about duty and honesty, the Umiak are nuts about duty and humility. If the top councilors do partake in hedonistic Roman feast-orgies, they do it quietly behind closed doors.
Interesting well that must be something to see their worlds so does that mean they actually do have feast-orgies? In all its interesting to see the duty and humility mindset go totally off the road usually taken. I mean for a race like that too be imperialistic is something. I know they call the storm witch a murder. All those people they treat like parts are still people but do they deviate from their accepted norms? I mean The Stray has to be a national hero right will he become a cyborg for the people?

Werra

Post by Werra »

Can the Umiak become overweight and if so, how would that look/work with their exoskeleton?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:43 pm
Interesting well that must be something to see their worlds so does that mean they actually do have feast-orgies?
If they do, no one knows about it.

(In any species of over a billion individuals, somebody is going to be doing anything you can think of.)
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
In all its interesting to see the duty and humility mindset go totally off the road usually taken. I mean for a race like that too be imperialistic is something.
Paranoia and a persecution complex will do the trick.
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
I know they call the storm witch a murder. All those people they treat like parts are still people but do they deviate from their accepted norms? I mean The Stray has to be a national hero right will he become a cyborg for the people?
Kikitik-27 is a fleet commander; there's no need for him to become a cyborg.
Werra wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:18 pm
Can the Umiak become overweight and if so, how would that look/work with their exoskeleton?
I don't think it's possible for an exoskeletal creature to become fat, but I guess it's possible for one to become too big, especially if it's living in higher than normal gravity.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

That look on Fireblade's face in the last panel tells me that she is glad to have a moment with Alex WITHOUT the Diplomatic Sentinel to watch over his well-being. Can't help but get the feeling that Fireblade intends to find out how Alex got into her dreams.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Snoofman wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:15 pm
That look on Fireblade's face in the last panel tells me that she is glad to have a moment with Alex WITHOUT the Diplomatic Sentinel to watch over his well-being. Can't help but get the feeling that Fireblade intends to find out how Alex got into her dreams.
Doubt it.

Think she is glad all is going according to plan.

I doubt she thinks of Alex much other than him being the guy that put her in this mess who yelled at her...when everyone should know you do not try to be confrontational with Teidar because they can wreck you.

Goofball Alex. Beryl likes him too much.

Or she may be smiling because she still suspects Alex is a Umiak 'puppet' or spy, and is more or less telling Alex, 'There goes your rescue party, you are going with us whether you like it or not!'

Remember she gave Alex the 'I got my eyes on you so don't try anything' signal only a few pages ago.

Fireblade does not trust Alex as far as she can telepathically control him...which she can't. Note I did not say throw....because she can throw him far if she wanted.

In fact she probably smirked after throwing Alex just because she realized at least SOME of her powers work on super Lotai Umiak 'plant' pink male calls self Alex guy.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Snoofman wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:15 pm
I doubt she can remember Alex in her dreams, we generally immediately forget nightmares when we wake up. Maybe this is the same for the Lorois.
I guess only Alex is privy to this dream-walking information.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

For me her look is:

This is how Warriors do it!
The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story! Late backing possible, more info soon.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:12 am
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Interesting well that must be something to see their worlds so does that mean they actually do have feast-orgies?
If they do, no one knows about it.

(In any species of over a billion individuals, somebody is going to be doing anything you can think of.)
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
In all its interesting to see the duty and humility mindset go totally off the road usually taken. I mean for a race like that too be imperialistic is something.
Paranoia and a persecution complex will do the trick.
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
I know they call the storm witch a murder. All those people they treat like parts are still people but do they deviate from their accepted norms? I mean The Stray has to be a national hero right will he become a cyborg for the people?
Kikitik-27 is a fleet commander; there's no need for him to become a cyborg.
Werra wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:18 pm
I don't think it's possible for an exoskeletal creature to become fat, but I guess it's possible for one to become too big, especially if it's living in higher than normal gravity.
Well I hope we see more of them and not just hard troops.