Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thread

Post by Arioch »

SVlad wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:31 pm
Do Umiak molt when grows?
No, the exoskeleton grows with them.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Hello Arioch
Is there any mythological doctrine in Barsam or any other non-Loroi religions that speak of an foreign mezsiah like entity, who comes in the time of great need? I read that there was one in Barsam church doctrine, but I can't find it now.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Dan Wyatt wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:34 am
Is there any mythological doctrine in Barsam or any other non-Loroi religions that speak of an foreign mezsiah like entity, who comes in the time of great need? I read that there was one in Barsam church doctrine, but I can't find it now.
There were important prophets in the history of the Barsam religion, most notably Onzir Eutuno, who was largely responsible for establishing the mainstream version of the religion that persists into the present day, but the Barsam religion is not really a messianic faith. It's more similar to Buddhism, in which members seek enlightenment through following the teachings of the prophets, rather than waiting for a messiah to lead them to a promised land.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arioch wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:00 am
Dan Wyatt wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:34 am
There were important prophets in the history of the Barsam religion, most notably Onzir Eutuno, who was largely responsible for establishing the mainstream version of the religion that persists into the present day, but the Barsam religion is not really a messianic faith. It's more similar to Buddhism, in which members seek enlightenment through following the teachings of the prophets, rather than waiting for a messiah to lead them to a promised land.
And here I came to think of Elderscrolls III (Morrowind) where the Emperor personally had had your character conscripted as an agent to be sent to Morrowind. There had by that point been many nerevarine contenders but none that measured up to scrutiny. In any case the Emperor did not whatever the PC where the nerevarine or not but if the local dunmer population in Morrowind could be made to believe so it could help stabilise the situation in an unruly ptovince. So the the Emperor sent the PC out on a gamble, to take a chance.

I am sure that if you dig enough in the local barsam lore you could probably find some prophesied hero that Alex could be made to fit in for and as such there probably are those that would like to try, and to control him. Whatever the prophecy are true or not are secondary.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Would umiak society have the equivalent of a cooking show?

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

boldilocks wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:37 pm
Would umiak society have the equivalent of a cooking show?
They are too busy for that.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Too busy cooking the conquered planets?
The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story! Late backing possible, more info soon.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

If you can reveal it, I was wondering roughly how much percentage-wise of Umiak territory was unclaimed before they claimed it, how much has claims on it, and how much is occupied by species the Umiak conquered?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

inxsi wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 5:33 pm
If you can reveal it, I was wondering roughly how much percentage-wise of Umiak territory was unclaimed before they claimed it, how much has claims on it, and how much is occupied by species the Umiak conquered?
I wouldn't put a number on it, as this is information that's not common knowledge (even to most of the Umiak in the story), but judging by the part of Hierarchy-controlled territory known to the Union, the majority of it is territory of client races. Most Hierarchy members joined "voluntarily" (or were bullied into accepting Umiak authority), and only a few were subdued with actual force, when like the Orgus they refused diplomatic pressure to join voluntarily.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

From checking the Insider Umiak ship types page, it looks like Umiak crews are smaller compared to the size of Loroi crews in any given class.
Any specific reason for that? Is it because Umiak are larger? Less crewspace due to ship armor/increased fuel storage? Or because Umiak need less time-off then Loroi?
Last edited by GeoModder on Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

GeoModder wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:30 pm
From checking the Insider Umiak ship types page, it looks like Umiak crews are smaller compared to the size of Loroi crews in any given class.
Any specific reason for that? Is it because Umiak are larger? Less crewspace due to ship armor/inceased fuel storage? Or because Umiak need less time-off then Loroi?
I don't think there's a large difference between the crew sizes... the Loroi cruisers carry 300-500, and the Umiak heavies are about the same.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

No, the difference isn't huge. Perhaps its just the larger variety in Umiak cruiser types that gave me the impression.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

GeoModder wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:56 pm
No, the difference isn't huge. Perhaps its just the larger variety in Umiak cruiser types that gave me the impression.
It's true that the Umiak are physically larger, and they probably have fewer watches since the Umiak need less sleep, but I wasn't intentionally making the Umiak crew sizes smaller.

In addition to their monomaniacal focus, I think Umiak will probably need less sleep because they keep shipboard gravity at their native one-third g or less. I think that struggling under 1g all day is part of what drives our need for rest... I have heard stories from astronauts in the early capsules in orbit saying that it's very hard to sleep in microgravity, since you're not even burning the small amount of energy that you would sitting still in full gravity. I think they make up for that now with rigorous daily exercise (which they couldn't do in those early capsules), but even that only slows the deterioration of the body's systems in microgravity.

I think it will be really interesting when humans start living for long periods in reduced gravity (rather than microgravity) either on future space habs with spin-induced gravity or on Mars (with 1/3 Earth gravity) how the body will respond, and whether it will experience similar problems as with zero-g.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:53 pm
GeoModder wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:56 pm
It's true that the Umiak are physically larger, and they probably have fewer watches since the Umiak need less sleep, but I wasn't intentionally making the Umiak crew sizes smaller.

In addition to their monomaniacal focus, I think Umiak will probably need less sleep because they keep shipboard gravity at their native one-third g or less. I think that struggling under 1g all day is part of what drives our need for rest... I have heard stories from astronauts in the early capsules in orbit saying that it's very hard to sleep in microgravity, since you're not even burning the small amount of energy that you would sitting still in full gravity. I think they make up for that now with rigorous daily exercise (which they couldn't do in those early capsules), but even that only slows the deterioration of the body's systems in microgravity.

I think it will be really interesting when humans start living for long periods in reduced gravity (rather than microgravity) either on future space habs with spin-induced gravity or on Mars (with 1/3 Earth gravity) how the body will respond, and whether it will experience similar problems as with zero-g.

I have read about microgravity, enough to tell you what is known.

Astronauts already have spent over a year or longer in space.

The results are all bad, some permanent even after return to Earth.

1. In space in microgravity while orbiting, some will feel dizzy at first, and all the blood that normally pools to your feet will pool to your head. It is not uncommon for newbies to vomit at first. After the body acclimates, which is not immediate and I am not sure how long it takes, you won't look the same as you would on Earth. Swollen head, somewhat thinner legs, and if you are female you can say goodbye to saggy breasts, since they also become...anything but. Everything going up the body swells a bit, whereas the lower body loses some.

2. Because increased blood pressure in the skull, eyes are effected....permanently. Astrobauts report reduced visual acuity while in space, and even back on Earth. Not sure if Laser surger could help fix that or not.

EDIT: Lasers cannot help. As the shape of the eye behind changes permanently if I remember reading correctly. Not good.

3. Getting used to normal gravity again, even after less than a month can be...hard.

Times spent in orbit can present temporary health problems, as Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper discovered after spending two weeks in space during STS-115 in 2006. During a press conference after the landing, Piper collapsed, as she was not quite readjusted to gravity.

Low gravity is not as bad, but still bad. Weakens the bones (osteoporosis), and that stays even after Earth return.

So unless medical science can repair one at least to preflight conditions, the hazards of zero to microgravity to low gravity on a humanoid are not really desirable longterm.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:53 pm
I hope yet to see that day come. But to see it, it would need to happen within two generations. :(

kfcroc18

Post by kfcroc18 »

Hi... the new post in the webcomic has prompted me to ask a question, why does the Umiak boarder have camo on? His on a spaceship.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

kfcroc18 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:35 pm
Hi... the new post in the webcomic has prompted me to ask a question, why does the Umiak boarder have camo on? His on a spaceship.
It's an urban camo pattern. It's what I imagine shipboard marines would use. It's tinted yellow because that's the color of the Umiak ship interiors. It could also have been gray, but I prefer that the Umiak have a distinct color to be instantly recognizable to the reader.

umiak urban camo copy.jpg
umiak urban camo copy.jpg (29.37 KiB) Viewed 4010 times

kfcroc18

Post by kfcroc18 »

No offense but, you didn't answer my question. Why does he have it on, why good could it do. If anything, it will make him stand out even more.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

kfcroc18 wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:12 am
No offense but, you didn't answer my question. Why does he have it on, why good could it do. If anything, it will make him stand out even more.

Likely it is a stylistic choice, as it seems he kind of indicated by his first answer.

Much like Fireblade's hair outsider her helmet.

While neither makes much sense tactically...one thing both the Loroi and the Umiak have is a certain penchant for...style.

Too bad they cannot make peace over the things they actually have in common LOL.

All joking aside though, when you are an illustrator you are bound to draw some things in part because you like the way it looks. If he did not, I suppose he would not draw it thay way.

And if I wanna get all symbolic I could say the Umiak symbolize the troops of a certain IRL military....but honestly I think that is reaching.
I honestly think he just likes the look and wants the reader to affiliate the Umiak with tough and scary and the military camo look to prove it.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

kfcroc18 wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:12 am
An armored cyborg would be painted in a camo that's suitable for the most likely combat scenario, which I think in the case of a shipboard marine is fighting aboard its own ship. There is no opportunity cost here; it's basically free. There was certainly not time to repaint the boarding team before the action.