Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Zakharra

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Zakharra »

Arioch wrote:
Zakharra wrote:I'm not sure if this has been answered before, but since they seem to be artificial intelligences, can the Loroi Farseers detect the Historians with their powers?
The Historian personality constructs cannot be detected or interacted with by Loroi telepathy.

HHm.. How did that first contact go? I take it the fact they cannot detect the Historians is one reason they restrict access to their computers?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Zakharra wrote: HHm.. How did that first contact go? I take it the fact they cannot detect the Historians is one reason they restrict access to their computers?
First contact at this technology level usually occurs between spacecraft, and telepathy is not usually a factor. Both sides spoke Trade, and the Historians were already well aware of the existence of the Loroi, so the contact went fine. The Historian constructs are machines, so the Loroi would not expect them to have a telepathic signature.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Is it, perhaps, safe to say that the Loroi don't fully trust the Historians? How many Loroi have had face to face or telepathic contact with an actual historian? (If any)

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

What color is an actual historian?
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

icekatze wrote:How many Loroi have had face to face or telepathic contact with an actual historian? (If any)
Not many. Few live Historians leave their own borders, and few outsiders are allowed into Historian territory. There's more information in this post in the first page of this thread.
Carl Miller wrote:What color is an actual historian?
They have pale, hairless flesh of a variety of hues. They are not a Soia-Liron species, if that was the thrust of the question.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Which is the most common? My headcanon says brown but I'm probably wrong :P
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Carl Miller wrote:Which is the most common? My headcanon says brown but I'm probably wrong :P
Only a handful have ever been seen, so there's no way to know how common the colors are.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Have the Umiak still a foothold in Historian space?
On the Steppe map, there's a star named "Delivered" in the middle of what looks like the color used for Umiak territory. The naming style is similar to those used for other stars in Historian space, so that's why I'm asking.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Yes, the Umiak are still holding systems that were formerly part of Historian territory.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

So did the Umiak recover any of the Historians' Soia tech?

Such as, perhaps, a means of hiding from Farseers...?
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Any known reason why the Historian fleet doesn't simply sweep the Umiak out of their former territory? It's been twenty years since the Historians started counter-attacking Umiak positions. And fourteen years since the Loroi finished the Semoset campaign.

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

maybe those sectors just aren't very important to the historians, or maybe they are just doing counter attacks to keep up appearances while doing something behind closed doors. heck they might even be assisting both the loroi and the umiak, maybe they are secret puppet masters is this whole war.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Will Al ever meet an actual, honest-to-$DEITY historian? :mrgreen:

Or at least video chat with one? ;)
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

None of these questions are answerable at present, sorry.

Once the updates get going and we get deeper into Chapter 2, you'll learn some more about the Historians.

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

mine wasn't so much a questioning and more of a rant.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote:None of these questions are answerable at present, sorry.
No worries.
Gives us more time to make up hypotheses. :mrgreen:

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Hey Arioch, how smart are the Historians? Or Aliens in general, compared to humans. Are there aliens that are smarter than humans as humans are smarter than, say, chimps?

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

what's the loroi's technological advancement rate compared to humans.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Grayhome wrote:Hey Arioch, how smart are the Historians? Or Aliens in general, compared to humans. Are there aliens that are smarter than humans as humans are smarter than, say, chimps?
I'd say that the variation in intelligence between the smartest human and the dumbest human is probably greater than the difference between the average intelligence of any two of the major combatants or humanity in general. However, different species are much better or worse at some cognitive processes than others. For example, Umiak have superb attention to detail and can do complex arithmetic in their heads, but are not known for creative or innovative thinking.

When I say "major combatants," I'm excluding the Historians. Whether you're talking about the biological Historians or their AI constructs, the limits of their intellect are not well understood. Certainly their technology is far superior to anyone else's, and since the AI constructs are technological...
wasp609 wrote:what's the loroi's technological advancement rate compared to humans.
It's significantly slower.

Just a Crazy-Man

Post by Just a Crazy-Man »

i have to wonder why both sides are engage in the war i have to ask what's going on behind the two powers as said they both have the power to engage in multiple fronts as they have the power to force others into the war risk many other smaller conflicts at the same time. Now my question is why are they not expanding behind them or fighting a war, locating new resources, setting up new facilities, plus mining facilities thus bringing in new resources to supply shipyards and factories safe in the rear plus establish new colonies and training centers safely away from attack.