WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

SamuraiArtGuy

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by SamuraiArtGuy »

As a fellow creative pro, I am well aware that the muti-verse emcompasses multiple manifestations and conceptions of many commonly used words.

Thusly, Monday = Soon = The Future.
Or so my clients are being conditioned to understand.

QuakeIV

Post by QuakeIV »

Patience, the blue space elves are still coming

Kelvandos

Post by Kelvandos »

As memory serves I should be a little sad. The dry spell started right when my birthday came back in September. I've been reading this for years, I really hope it's not dead. I see you on the patreon it's not dead but I'm too poor to pay for patreon, so I really don't have a leg to stand on getting free art and story. I'm just saying I didn't get a birthday present of more blue elves and that I really missed this story. It's been my head cannon fodder for years while playing space engineers. I always try to place myself in what would I do situations if I was in Alex's position. Ironically the first thing would be to ask where's the bathroom and how do I use it since they're all ladies. I highly doubt their ship is equipped for men or very little accommodations for.

Werra

Post by Werra »

What special accommodations do men require?

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

Werra wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:16 am
Some sort of themShow

Werra

Post by Werra »

How very fitting of you to bring up Beryl in a discussion about space poop. :twisted:

Dorfington

Post by Dorfington »

Oh, she ain't talking about poop muh boi!

...unless of course you're theorizing that she's into that. She is a very curious elf afterall. :twisted:

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

Dorfington wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:37 pm
Oh, she ain't talking about poop muh boi!

...unless of course you're theorizing that she's into that. She is a very curious elf afterall. :twisted:

Kelvandos

Post by Kelvandos »

Werra wrote:
Well most men don't require special accommodations. However if you think about it from a race that is primarily female and they build their ships for females there is a potential that they design their latrines for ladies only. Didn't NASA have to redesign the vacuum toilet to accommodate for females? Is this a situation that is reverse in Alex's situation? You see how it raises many questions and it's never been addressed. I highly doubt they have the same design that we have a sit-down toilets or the Asian style with the open hole in the floor where you crouch. It could potentially be something quite alien to us despite similar Plumbing in that regards. That's only one of many little things, someone else pointed out the fact that he was given a comb but he's never have to shave. I know I for one would reek after a week with no shower or body deodorant. It's these kind of headcanon moments that make me think about what an actual first Contact would be under these circumstances. Oh heaven forbid Alex lets off a really raunchy fart after that beef stroganoff. Those poor lady stuck on that ship, with no air circulation because there is no power mode no filtration Lord.

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Kelvandos wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:39 am
Werra wrote:
Well most men don't require special accommodations. However if you think about it from a race that is primarily female and they build their ships for females there is a potential that they design their latrines for ladies only. Didn't NASA have to redesign the vacuum toilet to accommodate for females? Is this a situation that is reverse in Alex's situation? You see how it raises many questions and it's never been addressed. I highly doubt they have the same design that we have a sit-down toilets or the Asian style with the open hole in the floor where you crouch. It could potentially be something quite alien to us despite similar Plumbing in that regards. That's only one of many little things, someone else pointed out the fact that he was given a comb but he's never have to shave. I know I for one would reek after a week with no shower or body deodorant. It's these kind of headcanon moments that make me think about what an actual first Contact would be under these circumstances. Oh heaven forbid Alex lets off a really raunchy fart after that beef stroganoff. Those poor lady stuck on that ship, with no air circulation because there is no power mode no filtration Lord.
I was thinking very similiar thoughts myself. It does seem that Toilets are very much the product of culture and societal taboos. I mean, have you seem German loos? I bet if we met an human-alien culture (if you know what I mean) their loos would be very different.

On the subject of farts: I have experience of one or two ladies rugby teams and I expect the crew on board the all female Loroi ships are all too familiar with raunchy farts :shock:

Werra

Post by Werra »

Alex shouldn't have any trouble using Loroi toilets. Their ships have artificial gravity, so no need to mess around with an anal vacuum seal. Probably for the best if we consider what time pressure Loroi food seems to put Alex on.
Likewise, Loroi soldiers shouldn't have too many issues with that kind of stuff either. They are used to being boxed in into tight spaces and Tempest did smell like Loroi body odor afterall. Loroi females have been living the army life for a long, long time. Culturally and physically that surely reflects in them

Btw, if you're ever faced with a toilet with Stuhlgangrückhalteplateau (stool retaining plateau) or Kotinspektionsteller (scat inspection plate), just place one or two pieces of toilet paper on it beforehand to minimize the occurence of Bremsspuren (skid marks). And remember, German toilet paper is folded, not balled up. Unless it's qualitatively Kackpappe (shit carton) or Schmiergelpapier (sandpaper). Then you may ball it up if you'd rather risk paper cuts than slow, steady abrasion. Luckily German military rations contain about 1/3 cabbage and so most discharge happens on the go and does not require any fiddling with the belt or even the zipper.

Kelvandos

Post by Kelvandos »

Werra wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:55 am
Alex shouldn't have any trouble using Loroi toilets. Their ships have artificial gravity, so no need to mess around with an anal vacuum seal. Probably for the best if we consider what time pressure Loroi food seems to put Alex on.
Likewise, Loroi soldiers shouldn't have too many issues with that kind of stuff either. They are used to being boxed in into tight spaces and Tempest did smell like Loroi body odor afterall. Loroi females have been living the army life for a long, long time. Culturally and physically that surely reflects in them

Btw, if you're ever faced with a toilet with Stuhlgangrückhalteplateau (stool retaining plateau) or Kotinspektionsteller (scat inspection plate), just place one or two pieces of toilet paper on it beforehand to minimize the occurence of Bremsspuren (skid marks). And remember, German toilet paper is folded, not balled up. Unless it's qualitatively Kackpappe (shit carton) or Schmiergelpapier (sandpaper). Then you may ball it up if you'd rather risk paper cuts than slow, steady abrasion. Luckily German military rations contain about 1/3 cabbage and so most discharge happens on the go and does not require any fiddling with the belt or even the zipper.
As an American who hasn't traveled out of the country yet I feel like I've learned so much from this post.

My initial point of this post though was to get the ideas flowing is to the cultural differences between two species, And in this case our similar biological needs and waste. I added the fart thing as a joke. I'm pretty sure those girls are well used to fire blades raunchy farts. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if tempo would be the one to clear out a room.

If memory serves aren't the loroi slightly colder than humans. Would this also mean they need less caloric intake as well?

Another thought for everyone to dwell on, with the ongoing pandemic going on would they be worried about our viruses and other germs getting to them. I believe I brought it up in a previous post that the time he spent in his cell in isolation could have been a quarantining time period. In which they studied his natural Flora and Fauna of bacteria both in and on him to see in which case could potentially be a new pandemic for them. Imagine Alex sneezing and killing half the crew.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Since Beryl was approaching the issue with Loroi males in mind, by "accommodation" she meant whatever might be necessary to maintain her subject's health, whatever that might require. Even if that meant securing volunteers from among the Tempest crew to "take care of business." As a protective mother hen, Beryl isn't bound by social mores in her attempts to maintain the health of her charge.
Kelvandos wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:59 am
If memory serves aren't the loroi slightly colder than humans. Would this also mean they need less caloric intake as well?
Yes, that's correct.
Kelvandos wrote:
Another thought for everyone to dwell on, with the ongoing pandemic going on would they be worried about our viruses and other germs getting to them. I believe I brought it up in a previous post that the time he spent in his cell in isolation could have been a quarantining time period. In which they studied his natural Flora and Fauna of bacteria both in and on him to see in which case could potentially be a new pandemic for them. Imagine Alex sneezing and killing half the crew.
Although this is a medical concern observed by the Loroi when dealing when aliens or new alien environments, it's extremely difficult for most pathogens (especially viruses) to hop species, much less alien organisms. Loroi (and all Soia-Liron species) have robust immune systems, but this is bolstered by the fact that they will always be alien to any local bacterial or viral threats.

TerrifyingKitten

Post by TerrifyingKitten »

Alien toilets brought this to mind.
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/07/0742089 ... f201a9.jpg

Kelvandos

Post by Kelvandos »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:44 am
Since Beryl was approaching the issue with Loroi males in mind, by "accommodation" she meant whatever might be necessary to maintain her subject's health, whatever that might require. Even if that meant securing volunteers from among the Tempest crew to "take care of business." As a protective mother hen, Beryl isn't bound by social mores in her attempts to maintain the health of her charge.
Kelvandos wrote:
Yes, that's correct.
Kelvandos wrote:
Although this is a medical concern observed by the Loroi when dealing when aliens or new alien environments, it's extremely difficult for most pathogens (especially viruses) to hop species, much less alien organisms. Loroi (and all Soia-Liron species) have robust immune systems, but this is bolstered by the fact that they will always be alien to any local bacterial or viral threats.
Thank you for the clarity. I'm just grateful that we all have this story to talk about so thank you for creating it.

Also just for the giggles could you imagine Fireblade with chickenpox. I know it's unlikely that they'll actually get it but just seeing her all covered in it would be funny to me. Trying to use her telekinesis to scratch an itch on her back.

By the way people it's 6 a.m. here I live near the great lakes in the United States and it's -2 degrees Fahrenheit. So cold that none of my vehicles want to start. any of you who are reading this and was nailed by the storm be extra careful on the roads today. Take care all.

Kelvandos

Post by Kelvandos »

TerrifyingKitten wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:11 am
Alien toilets brought this to mind.
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/07/0742089 ... f201a9.jpg
Rofl.

Werra

Post by Werra »

http://concord-initiative.com/

This should tide you over until next Monday.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

I think we also can assume that variues hygiene products have been tested to not harm Alex. He may have some early inconvienes with alien soap causing rashes but we already seen the food side of this process so no need to repeat the that.

jterlecki

Post by jterlecki »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:44 am
However, when they do hop, the new host organism is often really not well equipped to handle the pathogen, and the severity of any illness can be much more severe with unexpected complications. Let just hope that the Enzin does not get ill.

Murph

Post by Murph »

Thank you Arioch, I have enjoyed this site. I would love to continue since it looks to now be a paid site, but life has gotten in the way, and regrettably I cannot contribute. But your work is amazing, both the art and the engrossing storyline. I can say I have not enjoyed a webcomic as much is a while, so Thank You, and I wish you the very best.

Murph