WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Trantor

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Trantor »

TTK Ultraheavy?

And if so, will we see the wave-loom device in action?
sapere aude.

dfacto

Post by dfacto »

Looks more like a command cruiser, though the silhouette is still off.

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

Remember that the Umiak silhouettes shown in Insider are rough estimations of general class types--not hard and fast classifications. Umiak ships vary significantly depending on where/when they were built; there is apparently very little effort towards standardization, and even then only across broad purpose classes.

captainsmirk

Post by captainsmirk »

Based on the concept art I'd have said its a TT Superheavy, whilst the silhouettes are only representative they are also the ones Arioch has produced and thus quite likely to be the ones that get used in the comic.

However this is possibly more evidence of something unusually going on in Naam, since the Umiak rarely deploy such large vessels in assault divisions.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

dfacto wrote:Looks more like a command cruiser, though the silhouette is still off.
Better guess than mine.
It would also ruin the suspense to show this beasts so early into the plot.

captainsmirk wrote:Based on the concept art I'd have said its a TT Superheavy, whilst the silhouettes are only representative they are also the ones Arioch has produced and thus quite likely to be the ones that get used in the comic.
30-Cell Torpedo Arrays are also an indication.
captainsmirk wrote:However this is possibly more evidence of something unusually going on in Naam, since the Umiak rarely deploy such large vessels in assault divisions.
That would make a nice twist to the plot.
sapere aude.

dfacto

Post by dfacto »

captainsmirk wrote:Based on the concept art I'd have said its a TT Superheavy, whilst the silhouettes are only representative they are also the ones Arioch has produced and thus quite likely to be the ones that get used in the comic.
You're right. The Insider says the Superheavy has:

04 MR Heavy Plasma Focus
12 SR Heavy Plasma Focus
03 30-Cell Torpedo Arrays

And if you look at the concept the weapons seem to match (though you can't tell which barrel is which, but there are 12 barrels (6 on each side), and 2 30 cell torpedo launchers.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Pics name also says "superheavy"...

:oops: :lol:
sapere aude.

dfacto

Post by dfacto »

Cheater :|

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

dfacto wrote:Cheater :|
...by accident. Sry. :?
sapere aude.

Rosen_Ritter_1

Post by Rosen_Ritter_1 »

That Umiak super heavy has to be extremely heavily armored. Because going by the rough ship sketch in the insider, it's not just 2.2 km long. It's 2 kilometers wide. That's a mind bogglingly huge target. Even at extreme ranges dodging is going to be a bit of an issue.

Alex getting sight of this thing should really drive home how far below the weight class humanity is compared to the two combatants. Some of the heavier Loroi ships are twice the size of the America class cruisers humanity has, but those are heavier classes and most of the Loroi fleet is still within the same general size range. A warship two kilometers in width and over two kilometers lengthwise is a completely out of context for what humanity is used to.

To put this into context, lets show everyone what half a dozen 320 meter long America class heavy cruisers look like next to an Umiak super heavy. (Note the individual gu pieces that are thicker all around than the body of the ship.)

This thing would eat the entire human space fleet like a light snack.

captainsmirk

Post by captainsmirk »

Time to break out the Wave Loom methinks... :shock:

Or perhaps better yet apply the old adage "Discretion is the better part of Valour" :D

Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

I can see two things happening from here on out.

Either the Loroi retreat, or they stand and fight.

Retreating when the enemy has an initial velocity advantage may be problematic. To stand and fight might be even more-so. Part of me doubts even the Wave Loom could turn the tides in the Loroi's favor this fight if that is a TTK Ultraheavy.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

I'll go for the TT Superheavy as well. What a monster! :o

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The vessel depicted is a ~600m TT-style superheavy, not the monstrous ~2km ultraheavy.

Rosen_Ritter_1

Post by Rosen_Ritter_1 »

Arioch wrote:The vessel depicted is a ~600m TT-style superheavy, not the monstrous ~2km ultraheavy.
Ah. I WOULD be odd for a regular Umiak fleet to be burdened down with a ship like that.

OTOH, that STILL does leave you with Ultra Heavies that could probably wipe out the entire human fleet just by ramming into them.

Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

Out of curiosity, The Insider Loroi Ships page describes the Wave Loom device as "problematic." Why is that? I recall this being covered before, but I forget the answer.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Arioch wrote:The vessel depicted is a ~600m TT-style superheavy, not the monstrous ~2km ultraheavy.
IF the Loroi use their wave-loom on this one, i´m curious about the tactics. Considering the drawbacks of this technology, i´m pretty sure they can´t sit and wait for it getting charged.
So maybe they accelerate on an escape-vector, then idle the thrusters to charge the loom, turn onto target and fire.
Hm, maybe that still consumes too much time...
sapere aude.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Wintermute wrote:Out of curiosity, The Insider Loroi Ships page describes the Wave Loom device as "problematic." Why is that? I recall this being covered before, but I forget the answer.
Long charging time, heating issues, and leaves the firing ship dead in the water for short period of time after discharging IIRC.
sapere aude.

Rosen_Ritter_1

Post by Rosen_Ritter_1 »

Trantor wrote:
Wintermute wrote:Out of curiosity, The Insider Loroi Ships page describes the Wave Loom device as "problematic." Why is that? I recall this being covered before, but I forget the answer.
Long charging time, heating issues, and leaves the firing ship dead in the water for short period of time after discharging IIRC.
That, and the problem that presumably your wave motion gun can only hit one enemy ship at a time. And the Umiak use swarm tactics.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

If I were to guess, I would think the wave motion gun creates plasma focus in the form of a huge and prolonged sine wave, with a back and fourth sweeping motion that allows it to hit more than one thing.