WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Krulle »

Looks like a campfire gathering....

Where's Tempo?
[Guess the Chaperone left the room, in the hope the kids will behave, although the look these girls give that sole male in the room....]
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

The pilots are closing in on the target.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

Ithekro wrote:The pilots are closing in on the target.
Given the libedo of their males, why not?

Darroth

Post by Darroth »

kiwi wrote:Alex: “No, my face is meant to look like this.”

More seriously...
Arent wrote:He might be asking about the eye injury of fireblade and give away that he could sense her memories.
Well, if he’s asking “Did something happen to Fireblade’s eye?” without thinking through the implications, he’s an idiot.
Or this could be a policy shift on his part. We have seen him reveal big information in the past (eg length of Earth year, approximate location of earth on star charts.

If he has indeed received some sanzai, there will be many questions. Thinking about it, the Loroi might be even more leery of a race which can hear their sanzai and have perfect lotai...
As someone playing a game right now with a idiot protagonist (Deus Ex: HR), let's give Jardin the benefit of the doubt. WE know he's seeing Fireblade's memories because we know it's a story and because of how the comic is drawn but Jardin has never used telepathy before and doesn't know what it's like. Furthermore, he's repeatedly been told he is a psychic blank and he could have falsely remembered it as "you can't use telepathy in either direction", not "we can't use telepathy against you".

The telepathy may have been seen as a vivid day dream. Jardin may have thought "Wow, Tempo is such a great story teller, I can almost see Fireblade at school on the planet."
Krulle wrote:
Looks like a campfire gathering....

Where's Tempo?
[Guess the Chaperone left the room, in the hope the kids will behave, although the look these girls give that sole male in the room....]
Is Best Girl Spiral looking where I think she's looking? :shock:

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

Darroth
Yes, Spiral is looking there, why do you think Beryl is giving her the thousand yard stare

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

asaenvolk wrote:Yes, Spiral is looking there, why do you think Beryl is giving her the thousand yard stare
I was assuming she didn't like the smutty joke Spiral is mind-speaking ;)

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

The more I look at the scene the more incomprehensible the Pocket Historian’s remarks appear. It will be difficult for Alex to keep his distance, also in a non-physical sense.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

Zarya
Because there are probably not the Loroi the historian was warning him about, but what he says to them may travel to the ones he should.

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

yea, will be interesting to see (read) how this will play out.

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

asaenvolk wrote: Because there are probably not the Loroi the historian was warning him about, but what he says to them may travel to the ones he should.
Indeed. Remember how antogonistic the Captain of the first ship was towards Alex.
https://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider068.html

Any group that has been at war for a long period is going to be defensive and conservative. I get the feeling there are plenty in the Loroi who would happily chuck Alex out the airlock rather than risk the potential turmoil he represents (whatever that is).

Exciting indeed :)

DCR

Post by DCR »

That looks impressive... and like the earthy moon. Wonder why Alex's eyes aren't working very well also.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

DCR wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:35 am
That looks impressive... and like the earthy moon. Wonder why Alex's eyes aren't working very well also.
Just to make sure the people understand what you're referring to.

And it looks like there's a skylift.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Arent

Post by Arent »

DCR wrote:
Mmmh. Maybe a vision of Earth having been invaded by the Umiak?

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

DCR wrote:
I'm no astronomer, not even an enthusiast, but I doubt this is our Moon. Maria and craters seem off. I think someone dabbles in drawing all-new dwarf planets in a more photo-realistic style than SiS used.

Arent

Post by Arent »

Mk_C wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:18 pm
DCR wrote:
I'm no astronomer, not even an enthusiast, but I doubt this is our Moon. Maria and craters seem off. I think someone dabbles in drawing all-new dwarf planets in a more photo-realistic style than SiS used.
Well, of course it could also be some Loroi world. Maybe Seren/Fireblades dream.

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

Yea, think so too, this moon has no distinguishable mares or other familiar features like Tycho or Copernicus.

Have read descriptions of how a tether into space construction might collapse. If the tether breaks, the mass at the end of it will drift off in a wider orbit. The rest of it would crash on the planet much like the end of a whip, which is what Alex appears to be looking at.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Ah, the suspense... ;)
Now I wonder if Alex is linked to the dream of one of the ladies touching him, or Fireblade has fallen asleep at her station.

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

GeoModder wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:54 pm
Now I wonder if Alex is linked to the dream of one of the ladies touching him, or Fireblade has fallen asleep at her station.
How many of the ladies on Highland-7 can have dreams of a murdered world in ruins?
GeoModder wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:54 pm
or Fireblade has fallen asleep at her station.
Alex was having the usual nightmare of suffocating in open space for God knows how long. Certainly long enough for one watch divided between 8 people to end.

Murph

Post by Murph »

Could either Tempo or Fireblade be sensing this? Tempo does not seem to be part of the snuggle session....

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

That solar system is so strict, it has leash laws for its moons.