[RP] Incursion (OOC)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

bunnyboy

Re: [RP] Incursion (OOC)

Post by bunnyboy »

Image update on character sheet. By the way, usually she don't dress up so casual, when she goes to "work".

Do we start the game soon? :|

Edit:
@sunphoenix
Yes I read it, but didn't have time to look BESM.

Sixth Sense.
2 Points/lvl
Progression: Linear, +1 Sixth Sense each level
I took 3 lvl to patch up her poor soul.

Telepathy.
I had 1 increase for range and 3 increases for area, but I didn't take increases for number of targets. :x
So to sanzai to 2 people on 100 meter, when they are 3 meter adjacent each other, needs minimum 1 increase for range, 2 increase for area and 1 increase for targets?

Edit2:
Thanks.
Last edited by bunnyboy on Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Supporter of forum RPG

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

I'm still working on the prologue part...I've been a bit busy and it's taking a while longer than I thought, but it should be done soon.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

{Repost}
Hey Bunnyboy...did you read my last post? You didn't comment... if so its cool.
Like the pic... wish I could get my 'artist' who drew Kamielle to do another one for Maiannon... but... he's sort of a perfectionist. He didn't like the pic he did of Kam. But Kam's pic was originally for Kam done in CTHULHUTECH. Kam is a Xeno-mix Amlati... hence his weird coloration, but I liked the pic so much... I decided to play the character here on Outsider for the "Deep Strike" Game, sans his Para-psychic powers.

Though I must admit... I was having a lot of fun playing 'Stormrage' in the "Tempest" game...ah well.

EDIT 1#
@Bunny: Ah... I see your confusion. I'll try to explain as best I can... at least the way we use it in our sit-down games.

With the Area 'custom variable' you hit everyone in the target area. You do not need to have targets variable. However, you have no choice but to hit all targets in the targeted area.

If you have the targets 'custom variable' you may hit multiple targets with your attribute... but you do not have to.

With both you make 'hit' multiple 'areas' with your attribute... but any target in the area gets affected weather you want it to or not.

For telepathy an area 'custom variable' means you basically speak to everyone in the area at once and cannot only speak to one person in the area. Though you do not have to use the area 'custom variable' every time you use the Telepathy power. You can just use telepathy without your 'custom variables' and speak with one mind...or multiple minds if you use the targets 'custom variable'. But you do not have to use area 'custom variable' to speak to multiple minds in addition to targets 'custom variable'.

Hope that makes it clearer. :)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Fusebox

Post by Fusebox »

Sorry for the lack of communication with you guys. Been a little busy here, Mom just got back from visiting her mother. I'll see what I can't do about getting a character in here in the next few days.

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Alrighty, I'm back. Good to see progress being made :P I'm looking forward to this game!

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

As you may have noticed I've started the IC thread for Incursion (Yay :D). Up until a few hours ago I was simply going to stick the whole prologue in the first post and set you loose to wreak havoc upon the poor souls of Sephal.

Instead I though we might try it this way first (if you want). This first bit will be a sandbox of sorts, allowing us all to get used to the game system, and iron out any wrinkles that show up before the real fun begins. And incidentally letting any new people join without causing too much disruption.

If you don't like the idea I'll just stick the rest of the prologue onto the end of what's there already and we can go on from there. It's your choice, I'm happy with either way...although I may be a tad more happy with the sandbox start ;)

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Holy poop on a Popsicle this is awesome. Well done Unforsaken!

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Hmmm... I like the sound of those water management tunnels. Do our characters have any idea how wide the are, or how broken/intact they are? Also, how big is our current group?

Drafting an IC post... Also, I've modified my character and the spider mines (I forgot to assign points to their small size) and drafted a new Flux Item.

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

@Grayhome, thanks! :)

@Gudo, The water mangement tunnels are just like today's storm water systems, Sephal is a wet world so they are both large and extensive. Since they weren't designed for pressure the shock of the invaders bombardment caused parts to collapse well beyond the areas that were attacked. The tunnels are mostly intact in the industrial area, allowing rapid and discreet movement, however the invaders know this and if you run into a patrol down there, you'll have little room for finesse. The commercial/government area was hit hard and much of the tunnel system collapsed, but survivors have discovered a number of intact sections which allow some safe movement. These sections do flood in rain since the water cannot drain nearly so well. The invaders don't usually patrol the commercial/Governemnt sector on foot, preferring to use their patrol vehicles or mines and IR sensors as a means of locating/destroying the unwary survivor. The residential areas are completely trashed.
----
I also need a few questions about the plant sunphoenix and Gudo have placed their characters answered before I can give any solid facts.

What water was the plant treating? If it was treating river water for consumption then there would be large intakes leading to the river itself, and high-pressure pipes supplying the city. If it was treating storm water then there would obviously be links to the water mangement system.

How long has the group been there? Spending too long in any spot is a risky proposition and building the Crawler will take time.

@Bunnyboy, am I right saying that Nelodez is on her own at the moment?

Also: I'm happy to create as many NPC's as necessary, but the more there are in one group the more likely they will be discovered.

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

Fusebox

Post by Fusebox »

Would you guys mind if I made a custom weapon?

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Not at all. Though I'll have to vet it first. As long as it's within reason there's nothing stopping you except the cost of it ;)

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

Fusebox

Post by Fusebox »

Also would someone mind helping me figure out the skills/stats/attributes/talents/Idon'tknowwhatthefuckI'mdoingpleasehelpme? Preferably before I put my head through my monitor in frustration.

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Fusebox wrote:Would you guys mind if I made a custom weapon?
Go for it. That's pretty much what my entire character is built around. Just keep it in the rules and make sure the Unforsaken OK's the final product. Also, what questions do you have? I could draft an example weapon/item if you'd like. Could help you get a feel for the system.
TheUnforsaken wrote: I also need a few questions about the plant sunphoenix and Gudo have placed their characters answered before I can give any solid facts.
You're the GM, you tell me about the environment :P Unless Sunphoenix has any objections, here's my answers to your questions: The plant treats river water for consumption. The overflow channels and flood pumps divert some water when the river runs high, preventing flood damage to the facility and the city. It doesn't collect or treat run-off from the city.

The group consists of Sunphoenix, myself, and at least one other NPC (so far, s/he's just the door guard. Probably takes turns with Sun on scavenging duty. I vote two NPCs for a little bit of story telling breathing room.) We've been hiding out long enough to have to go fairly far in search of food. Though since it is an industrial section/outskirts, picking the place clean of food shouldn't take too long. There'll be more actuators and such than foodstuffs. I can't give you a solid day number (how long is a day here anyways?) but it should be pretty low.

Fusebox

Post by Fusebox »

I'm more in need of help setting up character stats. A basic rundown of the system would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note SNIPER RIFLE!

Meet the A-83 "Aramaki" Gyrojet marksman's rifle.

Some help crafting the stats, and explaining what they mean would be much appreciated as well. (Imma give it a shot anyway though, tee-hee)

Lvl 5 weapon (10pts)
Lvl 3 range (3pts)
Accuracy 1 (1pts)
Hands (-1 pts)
Defect: Accelerating Ammunition (-3 to attacks within 20 meters)

On a note I just remember, I'd like to have my character protecting a small child throughout the RP which I'm planning on making his primary motivation for most of his actions. Is there anything I should be aware of regarding this?
Last edited by Fusebox on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

TheUnforsaken wrote:@Bunnyboy, am I right saying that Nelodez is on her own at the moment?
Yes she is, but she is trying to find others, before she needs to make recipe for cooked shoe.
Supporter of forum RPG

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Well, it's late where I live so I'll save a detailed stat run down for tomorrow. Super basic is as follows:

You have three Stats: Body, Soul, and Mind (human average in all three is 4, just for reference.)

Body relates to your character's physical well being. High body means your character is fast, strong and agile.
Soul relates to your characters... character. Think of it like their willpower. Soul and Body together determine your character's toughness/hitpoints (since it's a combination of how much abuse you can take and how much you're willing to take.)
Mind relates to your character's mental capabilities. A high Mind score means you're more logical, better at puzzles, etc. Mind and Soul together determine your character's Energy. Energy can be thought of as fuel for activities that drain the character (i.e. Sanzai) or adrenaline (You can spend energy to get a bonus on die rolls)

All three stats together determine your combat proficiency. Skills and attributes can be purchased later to give your character more skills and abilities. Generally speaking, skills cover very general areas (Driving: How well can you drive?) where as attributes cover more specific and more potent areas (Sensor Block: You can't be detected by Sanzai!)

Anyways, on the the weapon... (Spoiler'd because wall of text)
SpoilerShow
A signature weapon isn't a stat or a skill, so we'll purchase it as an Attribute. If it were a natural attack, we'd just go on ahead and buy the Weapon attribute. But it isn't, it's a gun, and therefore, an Item. But how many points do we spend on it? IDK, let's find out. Essentially, we're creating a character sheet for our weapon. Fortunately, it's non-living so it doesn't have stats (Body, Soul, Mind) and doesn't have skills. (If an item were to grant skills to the user though, we could purchase skills for it.)

So, the Item is a weapon, so we get the Weapon attribute for it (page 60.) I see you've decided on lvl 5 weapon with lvl 8 range... Umm, a standard issue Rifle is a lvl 6 weapon. And your 8 range means it can fire 100,000 km (and it's using projectiles to boot. That's a tad un-realistic.) I assume you want the weapon to be more accurate than the standard issue thing, but just increasing the range isn't nessicarily the best way to do it. (Range 4 means it's good out to 6.2 miles! or 10 km.)

So we want it to be high-powered, we'll assign a high Weapon level (Let's go with 7) and long range (I think Range 4 good, but let's push it to 5. 100 km sniper! 62 miles :O) The weapon may be good to that extreme distance, but can you even SEE that far? With a Scope, you can! Add it as a feature. We now have:

Item - Sniper Rifle
Weapon 7 {14pts}
Range 5 {5pts}
Feature:Telescopic Scope{1pts}

But that's just a long range gun. How do we make it accurate? By adding Weapon Variables! Add Accurate 3 {3pts} (This bonus to hit is the same as increasing your base stats by 9!) Looking through the other variables, we see nothing else makes much sense except for Piercing and Penetrating. Piercing is the ability to punch through Force Fields (used in Outsider, but primarily only on space ships.) and penetrating in the ability to punch through Armor. We like that, so we'll get it. Standard infantry armor offers 24 points of protection, and piercing negates 4 points of armor per level. So if we want to completely negate standard infantry armor (and punch a big hole in vehicles!) we'll need to get 6 points of Penetrating. We now have:

Item - Sniper Rifle
Weapon 7 {14pts}
Range 5 {5pts}
Accurate 3 (+3 hit) {3pts}
Penetrating 6 (Ignore 24 points of Armor) {6pts}

But doesn't this thing have drawbacks? You bet! Let's look at Weapon Restrictions.
I see you've decided it uses both hands and has "Accelerating Ammunition" for a total of -4pts. Sounds good to me, let's add it. (Why add Accelerating Ammunition as a Restriction and not a Defect? There's no point difference, but we use Defects for when things don't work the way they are supposed to. Restrictions are for when they work as they're intended, but there's a drawback. In this case, the drawback being the rounds take some time to get up to speed.) It seems to me like a sniper rifle would take a while between shots, to line up the target, load a new round, all that jazz. Let's add Restriction: Activation -1 (for reference, this is the same amount of "activation" as is required to use a modern hand grenade.)

Item - Sniper Rifle {12 points total}
Weapon 7 {14pts}
Range 5 {5pts}
Accurate 3 (+3 hit) {3pts}
Penetrating 6 (Ignore 24 points of Armor) {6pts}
Restriction: Hands {-1pts}
Restriction: Activation 1 {-1pts}
Restriction: Accelerating Ammunition {-3pts}

Add up the points and divide it by two. That's how many points your character has to spend to get this signature weapon. (12 pts total for my version) If you want to lower the point value, consider dropping the range or penetration.
As far the small child is concerned, you should take the Companion Attribute, and use that to make the child. The child is made exactly the same way a normal character is created. Once you know how many character points were spent on the child, you need to determine how many character points it'll cost your character. The first 120 points on the child cost you 2. Each ten points on the child after that cost you 1 point. So if the kid has 150 points worth of stats, skills and attributes, then your sniper has to pay 5 character points. You can recover some of those points with the Significant Other defect (page 101) probably at -3 points. This means a child companion built using 130 points or fewer is essentially "free" as having the companion costs as many points as the defect resulting from having to care for it.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Wow! Such a flurry of posts and I was only away fro a few hours! lol!
Gudo wrote:Unless Sunphoenix has any objections, here's my answers to your questions: The plant treats river water for consumption. The overflow channels and flood pumps divert some water when the river runs high, preventing flood damage to the facility and the city. It doesn't collect or treat run-off from the city.

The group consists of Sunphoenix, myself, and at least one other NPC (so far, s/he's just the door guard. Probably takes turns with Sun on scavenging duty. I vote two NPCs for a little bit of story telling breathing room.) We've been hiding out long enough to have to go fairly far in search of food. Though since it is an industrial section/outskirts, picking the place clean of food shouldn't take too long. There'll be more actuators and such than foodstuffs. I can't give you a solid day number (how long is a day here anyways?) but it should be pretty low.
This sounds mostly like what I had in mind. As for NPC's...

I was assuming about 5 additional adults and three children... I know that seems a lot but I wanted the RP possibilities.. and its indicative of Maiannon's desire to help others he finds in need.

I'm going to do a post but could not last night here are the adults I had in mind...

Yzmarik = Barsam/male - Age 67, Aging 'Retired' Troubador/Cleric {Professor of philosophy at local college}
- 'blinded by atomic flash from recent bombardment' - being treated by Maiannon

Gertilk = Neridi/male - Age 46, Fussy Accountent for a Import shipping company... now in ruins

Nelazal "Sun-Rune" = Loroi/female - Age 29, Office Assistant / Mother of two daughters
- currently with a broken leg 'splinted' and recovering from a tropical illness... she was at home
recovering when the attack came and immediately fled with her daughters.
* Sedoinzil "Yellow-Wind" = Loroi/female, Sun-Rune's daughter, age 4
- blonde hair, silver eyes; petulant and rebellious
* Lomirodai "Bright-Cloud" = Loroi/female, Sun-Run's daughter, age 3
- white haired, green eyes; pretty, always smiling and sweet in disposition, a little shy

Travis Cardigan = human/male - Age 36 'peramtuely balding' Shopping Mall Sports Store Manager {like 'Dicks'}
- Purely a civilian, he runs the second shift at the sports store in the shopping mall... but is NO sportsman himself. Nursing a wounded arm and complains about it all the time.

Markus {?} = Human/male - Age 14{?}
- Orphan child found wandering the ruins does not speak, Maiannon rescued him and brought him to the current safehouse
- Name is only known from the Id tag on his shirt from school

Hope that not too much...so.. I'm asking if I need to change these before I post...
Also..I'm open to suggestions for better names.. lol!
Last edited by sunphoenix on Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Thanks for the above Gudo 8-)

As for the your local environment:

The treatment plant is located deep in the industrial sector and its output was used primarily in industrial processes, though it was connected to the city-wide water system. There are maintenance vehicles designed to travel in the main pipe system, however access points are few and far between, located only at the largest industrial facilities and other treatment plants.

With some modifications the maintenance vehicles could be configured for operation in the river itself. Though you would need to gather necessary parts from other factories in the area.

I'll get busy making some NPC's for you too. Oh, and a day 25.1 hours long on Sephal.
----
@Fusebox, I like the gun ;) How did your character get their hands on it? And do they have much ammo, since it's pretty non-standard?

Edit: Ninja'd by Sun while I was on the phone...

I'm happy to run those NPC's if you want, though this group will be even bigger once we add Fusebox's two characters.

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

Fusebox

Post by Fusebox »

Thanks Gudo, the weapon was very helpful. I was able to muscle my way through most of the character by staying up 'til four last night too, so I should be good there as well..

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Wow, 8 NPCs is quite the crowd :O I don't mind having that many people around, but how about we let Fusebox and his child be two of them? That way, with Bunnyboy's char, we'd have 11 survivors instead of 13.