Loroi sexuality

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Alienscifi

Loroi sexuality

Post by Alienscifi »

Do Loroi have sexual taboos as humans do? I read a human and a Loroi could have sex, but would a Loroi want to have sex with a human?

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Loroi sexuality

Post by Arioch »

Among humans, sexual mores and preferences vary widely between different cultures and amongst individuals within the same culture, so I assume that the Loroi are not monolithic in their attitudes about sex. I suspect that the prospect having sex with a giant blue partner would turn some humans on but repulse others, and I expect the same will be true of the Loroi.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Well, they´re short on men...
sapere aude.

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon »

A Lot of our taboos are based around our biology, and the fact we have a fairly even male to female ratio.

In a culture where there are one per ten males, monogamy, exclusive relationships,a and taboos on non-marital sexual relations are ... well impractical.

When you have a large imbalance a society would have to either , Share partners, or compete brutally for them.

I doubt the Loroi would have made it long is their taboos, and mores hadn't adapted very quickly to a shared approach to males. as for non reproductive ... activities they'd probably have a slightly different view on those as well.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Trantor wrote:Well, they´re short on men...
Their men are more productive though.
Dragoon wrote:When you have a large imbalance a society would have to either , Share partners, or compete brutally for them.
Or both. IIRC high-powered females might keep near or exclusive access to favored males but the vast majority get whoever they're assigned to when the time is right. Reproduction during peacetime is a privilege, probably largely given to those who demonstrate themselves to be particularly high-quality. That being said I also expect that powerful psis like Fireblade would get preferential treatment even if they were ineffective in other ways (i.e. cowardly, stupid, lazy etc.) simply because their value as psis overrules their less desirable attributes.

That does bring up a question, are Listel abilities genetic?

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

fredgiblet wrote:
Trantor wrote:Well, they´re short on men...
Their men are more productive though.
"Productive", yes.
But if you mean "active", i don´t see humans falling short, with all the hot spaceelves around.
8-)
sapere aude.

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

If Loroi can feel pleasure in sex, any prohibition cannot stop them.

But such a male-female ratio is paves the way for the emergence of pairs "girl-girl".
Interestingly, the human relationships and family tradition based on sex (the creation and education of a child), but loroi - are social creatures, and they certainly have sympathy, antipathy, friendship and affection too. And seems like they may create social cells like human families without sex as a basis. What must be this basis?

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Esprit de corps

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Alexandr Koori wrote:If Loroi can feel pleasure in sex, any prohibition cannot stop them.

But such a male-female ratio is paves the way for the emergence of pairs "girl-girl".
Interestingly, the human relationships and family tradition based on sex (the creation and education of a child), but loroi - are social creatures, and they certainly have sympathy, antipathy, friendship and affection too. And seems like they may create social cells like human families without sex as a basis. What must be this basis?
Loroi experience pleasure in sex, but it's not the glue that binds family units together as it does for nuclear family in humans. Loroi social groups are based on blood relations (sisters, cousins, mother, daughters, aunts, nieces) and close friends, and the glue that binds them together is the intimacy that telepathy provides.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Who-hoo SnuSnu! :D
sapere aude.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

The punishment is DEATH..... by SnuSnu!

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

The one Called Alexandre Jardin, as the most attractive male, will be snu-snu'd by the most beautiful women of the tempest, then the large women, then the petite women, then the large women again!

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

Hm ... Then a few more specific questions.

Do they have something like the wedding ceremony?

Sex - it's intimate side of life?

Do they have a taboo on sex between relatives (incest)?

Do they have a specialized industry?

Does Loroi have a conflicts between national groups within the race because of cultural differences?

And interesting how they would react to human girls?)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Alexandr Koori wrote:Do they have something like the wedding ceremony?
Mating between a male and female usually consists of a number of encounters spread across several days, but matches are temporary, and after that it's very unlikely that they will ever meet again, even if the female becomes pregnant and bears offspring. Most Loroi subcultures have no concept of marriage.
Alexandr Koori wrote:Sex - it's intimate side of life?
I'm not sure what you mean.
Alexandr Koori wrote:Do they have a taboo on sex between relatives (incest)?

Loroi males are separated from the females at birth and are usually raised completely separately, so often a male may have very limited contact with his mother, and may never meet any siblings he has. When he fathers children, he will rarely meet them either. So there's no social sense of "taboo" against sex with blood relatives, because they don't really know each other and there's usually no sense of "family" between males and females. However, I suspect that having offspring with close relatives is not ideal from a genetic point of view, so this practice is probably discouraged. Whoever is doing the matchmaking between males and females will presumably keep this in mind.
Alexandr Koori wrote:Do they have a specialized industry?
Do you mean sex industry? All sexual access to males is restricted by law and must be arranged through various kinds of formal matchmaking; a male and female can't just meet at the mall and decide to have a date. So in that sense, all of the males are part of a sex industry. But in most cases a female can't just show up at a location and pay for sex; access to a male usually has to be earned through status and rank.

All Loroi males are wards of the state as regards sexual access; administration of this access (matchmaking) is delegated to various entities, including local governments, some caste bureaucracies, some civilian guilds and orders, and in rare cases individual Loroi. Usually, sexual access is administrated by whatever guild or order to which the male belongs, as many professions for males are directly or indirectly tied to their sexual function. For example, males who are philosophers or spiritual advisors or psychologists or physical therapists or telepathic therapists usually provide these services to the female "clients" they're matched with as a supplement to the actual sex. Males without advanced training or skills might spend more time on the sex part, and I suppose these would be the closest thing the Loroi would have to our idea of a sex worker.

In some cases, a very influential private group or individual may be able to secure long-term access to the rights to a male. One example of this would be very high-ranking military officers who sometimes receive such access along with the military title. However, this is not used solely by the officer to secure sexual rights to a male for herself, but often instead to control who gets access to a very high-status male. Sometimes high-ranking females secure access to their own male relatives, so that they can be matched with political allies. This is one of the few situations in which males may function as part of a female "family."
Alexandr Koori wrote:Does Loroi have a conflicts between national groups within the race because of cultural differences?
Loroi have had frequent internal conflicts for pretty much every reason you can imagine.
Alexandr Koori wrote:And interesting how they would react to human girls?
Aside from blue skin and pointed ears (or lack thereof), human and Loroi females are nearly identical, so I suspect in most cases, both male and female Loroi would react to a human female in a similar way that they would react to a female Loroi.

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon »

Okay since males are fairly limited and I imagine casualties are pretty heavy in a total war. Do the Loroi make use of artificial insemination/cloning ??...seems like a fairly natural development given their need for rapid reproduction and limited number of men to go around.

discord

Post by discord »

dragoon: cloning? artificial insemination? we are talking about a species that has to impose STRICT regulation to limit reproduction, population is not a problem, nor is re-population.

shorter gestation time(probably), faster to mature to reproductive age(8 instead of 15 years), with a 10:1 ratio in favor of childbearing gender...without regulation the population would double within a few years, which actually would be a liability not an advantage.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Hm... more questions:
How does this matchmaking work and what kind of attributes are influencing the matchmaking, except status, mental and physical health? Cast membership?
Are there different forms of matchmaking for each Loroi culture and what kind of differences are there?
If the males are not part of these female "families", do they have some kind of similar "family" connection between them? Like father, son and grandson?
Will Alex encounter a Loroi male sometime in the future?
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

What is the loroi's cultural attitude towards homosexuality?

What i mean is that homosexuals in human society suffer great stigma and persecution. Even in the most tolerant of countries (in my experience) being implied of homosexuality is considered a great insult (especially among men). I don't know why but we often seem to label homosexual men as feminine, sissy, not manly and so on. So i wonder is it similar with loroi female's that homosexuality may cause them to be considered in their case "masculine"?

Similarly with human females (atleast where i'm from) Homosexuality is greatly encouraged for the amuzement of men so i wonder if homosexual tendencies among their male's are activily encouraged? For the viewing pleasure of the females.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

There aren't enough males to supply all the females with sex every day, but sex (though pleasurable) is not for recreation, but for the purpose of impregnation, and once a female is impregnated, she doesn't need to have sex again for at least the duration of the pregnancy (which will be the better part of a year). Each male would only have to impregnate 10 different females per year in order to keep the entire population constantly pregnant, so that's really not the long pole in the tent.

I think the bottleneck in replacing losses will be not fertilization or even pregnancy term, but rather the time and infrastructure it takes to raise and train a warrior to adulthood. The Loroi care and schooling systems are probably completely saturated at this point.
Suederwind wrote:How does this matchmaking work and what kind of attributes are influencing the matchmaking, except status, mental and physical health? Cast membership? Are there different forms of matchmaking for each Loroi culture and what kind of differences are there?
There are certain career milestones that will provide almost everyone with "encounter time", such as graduation from warrior trials or the civilian training equivalent. Beyond that, it's a question of male availability and female priority/status. Warriors have priority over civilians, and rank/social status increases priority. Priority determines not just how much time, but which males are allocated; high-status males like Nedatan order members with a pedigreed parentage are a lot harder to get time with than a more common stud-farm male with few additional skills -- in addition to a nicer experience, the goal here is pregnancy, so pedigree will matter.

Males that are administrated by castes/guilds/orders will often be allocated to members or clients of that organization. Males administered by small groups or individuals can be allocated to anyone they choose (usually friends, cronies and prospective allies).

Have to go now, I'll answer the rest later.

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

What are the Loroi concepts of love? For a species in which pair bonding is likely nonexistent, I can't see them having a concept of romantic love. That could change, though, depending on Loroi attitudes towards homosexuality. As the Loroi do have family units and warrior crèches, I can see them having concepts of familial and platonic love.