Fanart Hypothetically

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

entity2636

Re: Fanart Hypothetically

Post by entity2636 »

novius wrote:While Ensign Jardin ended up to be the ranking officer on his part of the Bellarmine, it was just by default since the ship was effectively sheared in half, and he was on the wrong (or right) half of it. Though, by then, the ship itself wasn't quite in a serviceable state anymore...
*nitpick* Alex and the others from his damage control team were in the forward half after Bellarmine was cut in half, the bridge is in the nose of the ship like on an airplane. He was standing near the breach looking out into space and survived the whole thing only because he was blown into space and drifted clear from the wreck. Technically he became the "ranking officer" only after the forward section was destroyed.

@Icekatze - nice ship, very Terran, and nice job drawing it :) Not sure if I like the hammerhead prow, but that's just my taste. This ship would be relying mostly on shields for defense and not expecting to get hit by kinetics? I notice large and flat surfaces at almost right angles to the main hull that make for excellent weak spots/shell traps, especially the conning and sensor towers...

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Username wrote:Great work dude !

I really like the hammerhead innovation for screens, though my gut tells me a human screen system would be a bit bigger. If only because I doubt the Loroi would just hand over the latest and greatest methods for screening.

Is that the actual bridge on top of the rear tower ?
It is possible that it is actual loroi screens fitted on the ship and even that a small number of loroi crew members onboard to maintain sensitive classified equipment/discreetly read guests. Compare this to how in Star Trek DS9 the Defiant are equipped with a romulan cloaking device but they missed their chance to keep an fulltime romulan technician/Tal Shiar operative in the show, perhaps they figured that an former Obsidian Order operative/tailor was enough.

The "bridge" in the back need not be, it could simply be an observation deck. Those would make sense when inviting guests onboard in some diplomatic mission.

I notice that the humans ship are still using fusion engines, if they can go that fast they are probably significantly updated AND burning fuel like there is no tomorrow. It is possible that this a top secret acceleration test for what the engines can produce at emergency speed but otherwise travel a lot slower.

Considering that the TCA are converting scoutships for light security work reducing their range the scout are probably intended for replacement. This could be an replacement but it painted in naval colors and seem to be designed by the same people that make the rest of the fleets grey boxy ships. Maybe Bellarmine's designers are defunct or maybe this is an opportunity for another design later on.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi
cacambo43 wrote:I don't see why, given sufficient networking and display technology why you'd even need a bridge, per se.
If nothing else, it is a confirmed feature of the setting. In as much as having physical people onboard is useful, having them in a place where they can interact with each other in an intuitive way is handy.
cacambo43 wrote:In any case, I'd read the hell out of this hypothetical spin-off/sequel comic, icekatze!
Heh, while that is much appreciated, I think it might be a bit premature to start thinking of an actual sequel before the original comic is finished. :P
novius wrote:On first glance, the gunports may look too big, but who knows what's behind it.
The way I envisioned it, the weapons would be the area where Terran technology might advance the slowest. Keeping up with a formation of allied ships would be necessary for joint operations. And if their job is to police systems that aren't supposed to have military ships at all, the same kind of lasers and mass drivers that they already have should suffice for policing cargo ships.
entity2636 wrote:This ship would be relying mostly on shields for defense and not expecting to get hit by kinetics? I notice large and flat surfaces at almost right angles to the main hull that make for excellent weak spots/shell traps, especially the conning and sensor towers...
The ship probably would not be expecting to get hit by kinetics, with 20g acceleration abilities. That being said, I don't think the concept of shell traps really applies at hyper-velocity/relativistic speeds. The projectiles are moving too fast for their atoms to be deflected out of the way before transferring energy to the structure. Also, we know that a mass driver round could seriously damage an Umiak heavy vessel, even with all their armor and curved surfaces.

Having a sensor tower extended away from the main hull gives it a better field of view around interference from the ship's own drive plume. Probably.
Sweforce wrote:I notice that the humans ship are still using fusion engines...
In my mind, the engines were reverse engineered from Umiak engines. (also blue.)

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

icekatze wrote:
Sweforce wrote:I notice that the humans ship are still using fusion engines...
In my mind, the engines were reverse engineered from Umiak engines. (also blue.)
perhaps but antimatter fuel is in short supply among the humanity so we have to assume that they get that from their new allies. In any case, the realy bad limiter of acceleraqtion om humanity shit is less effective inertial dampeners. They obviously managed to upgrade that to.

My earlier attempt to write this post failed horribly with something bugging out when attempting to post, this lead to the odd post of only quotes befre.
Last edited by Sweforce on Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

icekatze wrote:The ship probably would not be expecting to get hit by kinetics, with 20g acceleration abilities. That being said, I don't think the concept of shell traps really applies at hyper-velocity/relativistic speeds. The projectiles are moving too fast for their atoms to be deflected out of the way before transferring energy to the structure. Also, we know that a mass driver round could seriously damage an Umiak heavy vessel, even with all their armor and curved surfaces.
OK, makes sense. I just kind of remembered EVE and the whole Shield tank vs. Armor tank (Caldari vs. Gallente/Amarr) and railguns vs. lasers (Minmatar vs. Amarr, the Caldari just say f*ck it and spam missiles :D )

novius

Post by novius »

entity2636 wrote:@Icekatze - nice ship, very Terran, and nice job drawing it :) Not sure if I like the hammerhead prow, but that's just my taste. This ship would be relying mostly on shields for defense and not expecting to get hit by kinetics? I notice large and flat surfaces at almost right angles to the main hull that make for excellent weak spots/shell traps, especially the conning and sensor towers...
Typically I'd say such an exposed structure would make for a weak spot, but as long as the enemy has little time to "dig in" and get into position, attacks may be expected to come from the front or the sides, thus the prow offering very little in the sense of targetable surface. It was just the unsuspecting Bellarmine being caught by surprise.

In my mind, the hammerhead would mostly house delicate sensor equipment, well away from the ship's high-powered systems adding noise to the readings. Could make sense if the ship serves in a mixed scout/skirmisher role.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

If you want a ship with a minimum of structural weaknesses, you can always go for the classic cube, sphere, or cylinder shapes. Those aren't as fun though.

(Also like I mentioned, the hammerhead houses the screens, in the same way that the Loroi house their screens in the twin prongs on the front of their ships.)

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

I'd say that rather than a fighting bridge, that window would likely be a pilot house + "wing bridge": intended for use in port operations, and as an observation platform for visual inspections of the hull.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

If you want a ship with a minimum of structural weaknesses, you can always go for the classic cube, sphere, or cylinder shapes. Those aren't as fun though.

(Also like I mentioned, the hammerhead houses the screens, in the same way that the Loroi house their screens in the twin prongs on the front of their ships.)
The loroi screens seem to be better protected but it makes sense if a more primitive screen MUST have maximum exposure to function properly. Then again In the Return of the Jedi, the bridge screens of the Super Star Destroyer where knocked out by destroying the round structures on the top. I guess it was decided late that they where shield emitters, I believed them to house sensor systems and was designed to look like radar housings. A design miss of whoever came up with the star destroyers basic form. That makes me wounder where the rest of the shield emitters are. There is of course the possibility that those bulbs on the bridge really WAS sensors but their destruction caused a cascade effect that knocked out the shields and they simply didn't have the time to get them up and running again, even if it was just a couple of blown fuses.

In any case I like this ship design to such a degree that I suggest that it get's officially adopted. Designing a ship can take YEARS and as such would probably already be on the drawing board at the time of the story. Adding the shield emitters and some other modifications are then just late stage alterations, something that is normal to do anyway. It can even go to the point where a ship undergoes massive changes when they are already at the shipyard. During WW2" Japan changed the purpose of several ships from battleships to carriers when the hulls where already completed. Other nations did similar things.