Page 142-143: Tsk, here's mommy

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

Re: Page 142-143: Tsk, here's mommy

Post by Krulle »

Not to send him out, just to store it...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

I think paranoia may become their greatest adversary: the Loroi are trapped in a close space inside a ship playing dead, forced to wait and hope the Umiak don't find them before their allies, and in the company of a weird almost Loroi-looking alien immune to sanzai and for what they know could still be a Shell trick.
Nowhere as bad as The Thing, but still bad.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

raistlin34 wrote:I think paranoia may become their greatest adversary: the Loroi are trapped in a close space inside a ship playing dead, forced to wait and hope the Umiak don't find them before their allies, and in the company of a weird almost Loroi-looking alien immune to sanzai and for what they know could still be a Shell trick.
Speaking of which, how would the Loroi handle something like the Alien situation. I assume far more easily, insofar as they are telepathic and militaristic.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

boldilocks wrote:
raistlin34 wrote:I think paranoia may become their greatest adversary: the Loroi are trapped in a close space inside a ship playing dead, forced to wait and hope the Umiak don't find them before their allies, and in the company of a weird almost Loroi-looking alien immune to sanzai and for what they know could still be a Shell trick.

Hope they can't make a flame thrower

Werra

Post by Werra »

No need. Fireblade has 14 levels in Pyrokinesis.

I wonder if some Predator somewhere has a Loroi skull as trophy.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Werra wrote:No need. Fireblade has 14 levels in Pyrokinesis.

I wonder if some Predator somewhere has a Loroi skull as trophy.
that would be awesome to see a half naked Loroi covered in mud fighting the Predator would be awesome!

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

boldilocks wrote:Speaking of which, how would the Loroi handle something like the Alien situation. I assume far more easily, insofar as they are telepathic and militaristic.
I agree, it would probably not turn into much of a "situation" with the loroi being telepathic, able to exchange thoughts with each other telepathically and also being able to sense minds or presences of other life forms nearby. I speculate that an Alien larva could infect an overly curious loroi, but that after that the parasite would be either quickly discovered and removed, or the affected loroi vaporized. A mature Alien could maybe get the jump on one or two loroi, but after that the animal's disposition would be clear to everyone and every loroi in range should be able to sense it's presence and take measures.
CrimsonFALKE wrote:that would be awesome to see a half naked Loroi covered in mud fighting the Predator would be awesome!
Not sure what's so awesome about a half naked woman getting beaten to death and dismembered by a guy that's twice her height and I'm guessing 3-4 times her strength. If that woman is your average Loroi, the Predator would wipe the floor with her, hard. If she's a Teidar, it would be over just as quickly for the Predator because she'd just telekinetically roll him into a ball of meat. A Mizol wouldn't get into a fistfight in the first place. Being able to sense the presence of lifeforms, she could evade the Predator and mentally stab him when the time is right, if the Predator doesn't simply shoot her in the face first.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

entity2636 wrote:
boldilocks wrote:Speaking of which, how would the Loroi handle something like the Alien situation. I assume far more easily, insofar as they are telepathic and militaristic.
I agree, it would probably not turn into much of a "situation" with the loroi being telepathic, able to exchange thoughts with each other telepathically and also being able to sense minds or presences of other life forms nearby. I speculate that an Alien larva could infect an overly curious loroi, but that after that the parasite would be either quickly discovered and removed, or the affected loroi vaporized. A mature Alien could maybe get the jump on one or two loroi, but after that the animal's disposition would be clear to everyone and every loroi in range should be able to sense it's presence and take measures.
CrimsonFALKE wrote:that would be awesome to see a half naked Loroi covered in mud fighting the Predator would be awesome!
Not sure what's so awesome about a half naked woman getting beaten to death and dismembered by a guy that's twice her height and I'm guessing 3-4 times her strength. If that woman is your average Loroi, the Predator would wipe the floor with her, hard. If she's a Teidar, it would be over just as quickly for the Predator because she'd just telekinetically roll him into a ball of meat. A Mizol wouldn't get into a fistfight in the first place. Being able to sense the presence of lifeforms, she could evade the Predator and mentally stab him when the time is right, if the Predator doesn't simply shoot her in the face first.
There is some precedent set that the xenomorphs use host DNA/equivalent as a scaffold for their forms and function, so if a few Loroi were infected and the chestbursters got away, they might be just as telepathic and/or telekinetic as their hosts had been. And isn't it strongly implied, at least in Aliens, that the xenomorphs have their own telepathic link, too?

CJSF

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

entity2636 wrote:

The only set back to the Alien issue with the Loroi.. would be if their minds are too 'alien' as to not be easily noticeable by a Loroi telepathic sweep... kind of like how the Colonial Marines were perplexed when the Aliens did not show up on thermal optics.. and their motion detectors were not meant for an enemy that can and does move in 3 dimensions. The Aliens are semi insect-like their minds may not register like Loroi are used to experiencing with individual minds...which the aliens might not be. I'm sure the Aliens do have minds they are too smart and cunning to not be.. but they might be unrecognized at first for what they are depending upon the individual Loroi until they are use to them. Plus, I'm certain no Loroi would allow themselves to be used as a walking womb for some hostile lethal xenomorph they would quite reasonably kill themselves to protect their sisters from harm.. their society's self-sacrifice ethic is stronger than that.

As for a Predator combatant.. yeah most loroi would not be caught off guard by their visual masking they can detect their minds.. unless of course some mental masking alien techniques are involved. But yes as Arioch has described Loroi they are not particularly stronger than human women of similar build and physique...and to the Loroi the muscle-bound Heracles like Arnold and other human male body builders is totally unknown among the Loroi male population. We have already seen that even a human male of truly Doc Savage proportions does not stand up to a Predator in hand to hand combat..they are just to big and strong ... so a typical Loroi Sorin footsoldier would get creamed in a hand to hand fight... barring Loroi cunning and possible combat precognitive advantages. But a Teidar...well THAT's another story. If the Teidar learned quickly enough that the shoulder mounted cannon the predator typically all have was independantly targetable and needed to be neutralized first...yeah.. telekinesis for the win! Though Predators are some sneaky bitches with their remote auto targeting thrown/ranged weaponry and dart & net launchers... the Teider would have to be careful not to be caught off guard by those .. a PK shield might not be enough to block some of those lethal semi-autonomous weapons.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Werra

Post by Werra »

sunphoenix wrote:no Loroi would allow themselves to be used as a walking womb for some hostile lethal xenomorph
SpoilerShow
Beryl

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Well the whole point the predator film was about was getting stripped of your technical prowess and being little more than a primitive instinctual beast. What was goo about it was seeing how machine guns were all but worthless and to defeat the Predator you had to become a primal warrior using only instinct and what nature could provide for you. Plus its a half naked Loroi warrior.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Werra wrote:I wonder if some Predator somewhere has a Loroi skull as trophy.
Since Predators seem to routinely get their asses kicked by random unarmed humans, I kind of doubt it.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:
Since Predators seem to routinely get their asses kicked by random unarmed humans, I kind of doubt it.
They usually kill like 2 dozen people before that and in LA no less.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Arioch wrote:
They usually kill like 2 dozen people before that and in LA no less.
I don't think it's a big deal that they could kill 2 dozen people in LA. LA is pretty strict on weapon control and 2 dozen people is like a weekend in chicago. (And as I recall it killed mainly drug-dealers and petty criminals.)

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Actually the Predator killed several cops and armed civilians and a special forces team

zircher

Post by zircher »

Flipping through pages at random and I noticed that the bandage is blue. Nice attention to detail, it would, of course, match their skin tone.