Page 152 Discussion: "Inventorying your equipment"

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

boldilocks

Page 152 Discussion: "Inventorying your equipment"

Post by boldilocks »

http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider152.html

Based on the last panel, are human flight-suits even less flexible than their EVA suits? (His suit seemed pretty inflexible by itself)

Excellion

Re: Page 152 Discussion: "Inventorying your equipment"

Post by Excellion »

boldilocks wrote:http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider152.html

Based on the last panel, are human flight-suits even less flexible than their EVA suits? (His suit seemed pretty inflexible by itself)
I'd assume that an EVA suit will generally be less flexible by default as it would be build to withstand a hard vacuum over long periods of time, whereas a flight suit is likely mostly made to dampen dynamic pressure (I remember page 105 mentioning a liquid breathing medium for those cases as well).

What i believe Alex is saying is that the Loroi suit resembles a flight suit (Which by nature would be less rigid than his own EVA suit), yet that even when considering this the material is remarkably light and flexible compared to a Terran flight suit. Which should not be a huge surprise as the Loroi are a more technically advanced race by quite a margin. Hell, just have a look at our own material science progress over the last century or even the last decade. There have been quite a few leaps in terms of what materials we can construct.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

I'm curious as to where the breathing gear is and whether the outer layer of the suit is a snug fit to compensate for an absence of atmospheric pressure.

Also, I'd wager the Loroi are all redoubling their efforts to sense Alex's form through the wall at this very moment.

novius

Post by novius »

Though it stands to question whether he distrusts the suit because it's alien underwear or one most probably not designed with male anatomy in mind... :)

Dorfington

Post by Dorfington »

Wow, Alex looks a little bit soft sided doesn't he? I know having a body like Arnold Schwarzenegger is highly unrealistic, but that boy could do with some regular cardio exercises. And maybe do some lifting before he get's even softer :lol:

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

Dorfington wrote:Wow, Alex looks a little bit soft sided doesn't he? I know having a body like Arnold Schwarzenegger is highly unrealistic, but that boy could do with some regular cardio exercises. And maybe do some lifting before he get's even softer :lol:
Not sure if Loroi will like this:
SpoilerShow

Dorfington

Post by Dorfington »

Good point Zorg, Alex could use a little oil to help slide into that tight suite :twisted:

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

novius wrote:Though it stands to question whether he distrusts the suit because it's alien underwear or one most probably not designed with male anatomy in mind... :)
And since we have the information ("Chekhov's gun") of the Suit working better if contacting the skin, we know where his skin damage will happen.
I wonder which of the Loroi will apply skin healing lotion while he is still unconscious from the sudden decompression....
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

I think that worst what that can happen is some discomfort.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Male 'equipment' should be as free as possible, overheating would be also an issue.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Overheating is only an issue for longterm fertility. Unless Alex has to wear this kind of suit for years on end, there should be nothing more than some discomfort. Soft tissue such as the penis can be squashed quite remarkably, the pressure of some fabric is nothing to worry about. If these spacesuits are one-size fits anything between Beryl and Fireblade, Alex should fit acceptably.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

It may not cause short term problems but it is certainly uncomfortable to be overheated down there.

novius

Post by novius »

Any man who experienced badly designed underwear or legwear with not enough ballroom would agree that it is highly uncomfortable to have his nuts squeezed. Even for a short amount of time.

Though, Alex keeping on his own undergarments wouldn't help with that particular issue. But... chafing might be another consideration.

I wonder whether Beryl will notice that when her attempts to calibrate the thermal balance seem to be thrown off a bit.

Beryl: "I noticed that the suits doesn't seem to work right in your nether regions."
Alex: "Uh..."
Beryl: "It's almost like ... Hmm. You did remove all of your garments before donning the suit, didn't you?"
Alex: "I admit, I didn't! Satisfied?"
Beryl: "We really have to talk about your taboos, and soon."

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

novius wrote: Beryl: "We really have to talk about your taboos, and soon."
Beryl: "...preferably in my private quarters."

:lol:
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

With a glass of *insert wine-equivalent for Loroi here*.

This and the dimming of light is of course only for your personal comfort, Captain. We Loroi have found that talking about taboos works best in a private, not too well lit, environment.

Cheers! *winks*
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

folti

Post by folti »

Excellion wrote:
boldilocks wrote:http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider152.html

I'd assume that an EVA suit will generally be less flexible by default as it would be build to withstand a hard vacuum over long periods of time, whereas a flight suit is likely mostly made to dampen dynamic pressure (I remember page 105 mentioning a liquid breathing medium for those cases as well).
Vacuum, a lot of radiation, and temperature differences that would happen when you are orbiting something somewhat close to the nearby star(s), and you might throw in some protection from micrometeorites too.
What i believe Alex is saying is that the Loroi suit resembles a flight suit (Which by nature would be less rigid than his own EVA suit), yet that even when considering this the material is remarkably light and flexible compared to a Terran flight suit. Which should not be a huge surprise as the Loroi are a more technically advanced race by quite a margin. Hell, just have a look at our own material science progress over the last century or even the last decade. There have been quite a few leaps in terms of what materials we can construct.
Indeed, or could be a modular design, where the inner layers are serve as flight suit/daily clothes/emergency vacuum suit, and you'd start to add further layers when you prepare for an EVA, especially when you'd are dealing with post combat situations (so lots of debris still around), or the possibility of close combat

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Geeze, all that fuss and he still didn't reveal anything for the hidden cameras. :lol:

I'm trying to think of what the rest of the objects in the storage container might be. Looks like there might be more rations, another more different type of data pad, and some kind of disk storage, or maybe recharging station?

novius

Post by novius »

icekatze wrote:I'm trying to think of what the rest of the objects in the storage container might be. Looks like there might be more rations, another more different type of data pad, and some kind of disk storage, or maybe recharging station?
Alex pretty much summed it up with "They seem to have grabbed everything that wasn't nailed down" - so different types of tablets, and depending whether they fleeced the wreckage of the crew section or not - given that they picked up rations it's likely that they did - an assortment of personal items and personal use items belonging to the crewmen....

So yes, Beryl wondering over the purpose of a vibrator might be possible :)

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Does the TCA have a tech contract with Apple?

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

sunphoenix wrote:
novius wrote: Beryl: "We really have to talk about your taboos, and soon."
Beryl: "...preferably in my private quarters."

:lol:
With Lube and no clothing for maximum skin contact