Page 158 : All Fire and Green eyes

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

CF2

Re: Page 158 : All Fire and Green eyes

Post by CF2 »

novius wrote:[*]Fireblade: "Cross the line and you'll regret it" - that you see on the first glance. But she actually seems to put some value into Alex's wellbeing, as seen during the egress from Tempest's bridge. Knowing her background we see that she is a character having her own demons and troubled past, and maybe she's the one being conflicted between doing her duty and doing what she feels is the right thing to do. I wouldn't be surprised to see her quietly helping Alex out of whatever bind he may find himself in, but never outright admitting to doing such a thing.
I had a good laugh imagining her actions in the elevator as the telekinetic equivalent of a little boy pulling a girls pigtails because he can't express his feelings well. Gods help Alex if that's the case. :lol:

novius

Post by novius »

CF2 wrote:I had a good laugh imagining her actions in the elevator as the telekinetic equivalent of a little boy pulling a girls pigtails because he can't express his feelings well. Gods help Alex if that's the case. :lol:
Now there's a thought that didn't cross my mind but could be disturbingly close to the truth. After all, there is quite a communication barrier between those two.... :mrgreen:

CF2

Post by CF2 »

novius wrote:
CF2 wrote:I had a good laugh imagining her actions in the elevator as the telekinetic equivalent of a little boy pulling a girls pigtails because he can't express his feelings well. Gods help Alex if that's the case. :lol:
Now there's a thought that didn't cross my mind but could be disturbingly close to the truth. After all, there is quite a communication barrier between those two.... :mrgreen:
It even fits with her passing messages through Beryl so that she doesn't embarrass herself with how inelegantly she sounds speaking.

Sweforce

Re: Page 158 : All fire and Green eyes

Post by Sweforce »

Victor_D wrote:So what did the construct mean by "aboard your ship" – did it mean the shuttle, as the context here seems to suggest? I am a bit confused.
Considering that the "flowerpot holoprojector" is carried as cargo on the shuttle and it did something prior to installing the "pocket historian", that is probably enough to count. The next question thou is who decided that the "flowerpot" should be brought along.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Probably Stillstorm wanting everything that was not 100% Loroi off her damn ship.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi
CF2 wrote:It even fits with her passing messages through Beryl so that she doesn't embarrass herself with how inelegantly she sounds speaking.
It is my understanding that Fireblade doesn't speak mostly on account of her status as an unsheathed. It would be considered a hostile act for her to speak.

That being said, I wouldn't think that discounts Fireblade-senpai from having a soft spot for Alex-chan. ;)

Also, I feel like if Alex ever gets a chance to really prove himself, Stillstorm could possibly be a stalwart ally for him.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Victor_D wrote:So what did the construct mean by "aboard your ship" – did it mean the shuttle, as the context here seems to suggest? I am a bit confused.
Why would the construct refer to a Loroi shuttle to Alex as "your ship"?

How would being in the data banks of a Loroi shuttle teach the construct English?

Surely there is only one ship it could mean.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

icekatze wrote:
It is my understanding that Fireblade doesn't speak mostly on account of her status as an unsheathed. It would be considered a hostile act for her to speak.
As opposed to telekinetically pushing him in a elevator.
I guess she gets the "Stick and Stones" thing backwards.

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

Arioch wrote:

How would being in the data banks of a Loroi shuttle teach the construct English?

Well here's my answer :lol:

What I meant was that saying "your ship" is a bit context dependent, but maybe that's just my imperfect feel for English. I assumed something like this:

The Historian trash-can-like device gets moved to the Shuttle's storage bay where stuff recovered from Bellarmine is also stored. It infiltrates Loroi systems to watch what is happening onboard the shuttle, including Alex's interactions with Beryl and his attempts to learn the Loroi script, then hacks the intact human electronic devices and leverages the knowledge of human letters to get an understanding of English. Then it contacts Alex.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Hacking of the shuttle systems might not even necessary (even if it happened).
Remember, the construct claims to relay a message from the Barsam ship, indicating a direct link between the construct onboard the Barsam ship and the copie in the container.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Actually, single direction transmission from Barsam courier to shuttle is possible without any magitech. Courier can just broadcast encrypted message that only Historians basket can decrypt.
Outsider in Russian

novius

Post by novius »

Since the "Pocket Historian" identifies itself as "this construct" and the projection on the Tempest laments about its limitations I'm pretty sure they do act as separate entities and might just need short bursts of communication to sync up rather than having a full remote control connection.

Meaning, Historian AI's would be able to split off parts of their 'consciousness' and place them as copies on the intended target device. How sophisticated these copies are could heavily depend on the device - the "Pocket Historian" might barely qualify as a VI, only able to do some rote-response keyword driven dialog and maybe able to get updated by the instance in the projector can when it runs out of suitable answers.

After all, it was designed to be just a messenger handing Alex a note of warning, though the instance in the can had the foresight to equip its copy with some self defense and stealth mechanisms.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

novius wrote:Beryl: ...she does have a genuine interest in him...
I fully agree on this, but as a friend or cute animal she would dissect later?
Supporter of forum RPG

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

SVlad wrote:Actually, single direction transmission from Barsam courier to shuttle is possible without any magitech. Courier can just broadcast encrypted message that only Historians basket can decrypt.
Is that a good idea, though? Presumably the Umiak are just as interesting in destroying Barsam couriers as they are in destroying Loroi.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Depending on the assumptions you use, having an encryption that can't be decrypted is potentially very difficult if not set up in advance like a one time pad.

I would assume that the Umiak know exactly where the Barsam courier. The Umiak ships are in position to block the jump point, they might decide that patience is the appropriate strategy instead of trying in futility to chase down a courier vessel which would almost certainly have better acceleration and probably more fuel reserves too. If the courier knows the location and vector of the shuttle, they can afford to wait until it drifts far enough away from the jump point to pick up safely. As long as the Umiak don't see it first.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

GhostlyYorick wrote:Fireblade: ...The human looks hot in its new suit.. suspiciously hot...
Yeah, with all the unseen Sanzai going around.. maybe Fireblade just wanted to see how Alex looked in some proper loroi clothing {if he was as good looking as I'm sure Talon has been going on about!} :D
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Is she taking his pulse?

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I read it as Beryl doing suit calibration stuff. It would make sense if the suit controls were in an easy to reach spot for the person wearing it.

If she is checking his pulse, it'd be kind of funny if she uses her perfect recall memory to start analyzing his heart rate. "Your heart rate is elevated, is this because you are lying?" :P

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

boldilocks wrote:Is that a good idea, though? Presumably the Umiak are just as interesting in destroying Barsam couriers as they are in destroying Loroi.
I think that everybody in the system sees everybody else. Like Loroi see all incoming Umiak ships at all spots. Also all ship communicate with each other so the courier will not stand out.
CrimsonFALKE wrote:Is she taking his pulse?
Quoting Arioch from discord
Arioch wrote: She's not actually taking his pulse, at least not directly. She's checking his vital signs as reported by his suit.Her chief concern is his body temperature.
The control button on the right wrist has a projected display, but it's directional, and so you can't see it unless you're looking from the user's point of view.
Well, it's an important issue; you want the benefit of displays and sights, but you don't want the enemy to see them.
As cool as glowing weapons and armor look, I don't think you'd want them on a real battlefield.
Outsider in Russian

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:

I have to ask about the suit handling his manhood would going commando have no effect on his junk in any odd way? Hopefully not try and compress things