Page 162: Pleased to meet you!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

boldilocks

Re: Page 162: Pleased to meet you!

Post by boldilocks »

adamcf0bae wrote:
boldilocks wrote: Also, wouldn't snuggling with a loroi be rather uncomfortable, like snuggling with someones cold feet, except it's their entire body?
Conversely you could say Alex would be supremely comfortable to snuggle with, in that he *is* warm and doesn't generate any telepathic feedback. A living woobie.
The future of humanity is to be Loroi's tauntauns.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

boldilocks wrote:Also, wouldn't snuggling with a loroi be rather uncomfortable, like snuggling with someones cold feet, except it's their entire body?
I was wondering about that. I figure that if it gets really cold, and they haven't packed the good feather duvet, then a Loroi body might feel much warmer than ambient+blanket.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

boldilocks wrote: Also, wouldn't snuggling with a loroi be rather uncomfortable, like snuggling with someones cold feet, except it's their entire body?
Sigh, Always with the negatives...

Loroi are not cold to the touch.. they are at a lower static body temperature than humans yes but that does not instantly translate to cold to the touch! Probably similar to touching a dolphin ~ though that's likely too cool.. but Dolphins just like Loroi and humans are warm-blooded though our metabolism run at different static body temperature norms.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Alex in just a little bit here.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Cold feet are around 26 - 28°C. A Lorois internal temperature is 28°C. Just saying.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Spiral made a show of getting out of her exosuit, but as it gets cold, she may well want to get back in. :lol:

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

Spiral made a show of getting out of her exosuit, but as it gets cold, she may well want to get back in. :lol:
It may seem counter-intuitive, but it's actually more efficient to be in a single layer of insulating clothing rather than a full kit when you are in a sleeping bag or under a thermal blanket.

Source: Arctic survival school, wearing nothing but long johns in a sleeping bag. It was about 10°F inside the snow shelter and -30°F outside.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

That is especially true when sharing a sleeping bad, double when said other person has a higher body temperature.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

It is a commonly asked question from people who watch Apollo 13, why didn't they put on space suits to stay warm?

Said space suits would have kept them very warm, but were too bulky to operate effectively in. I suspect that a Loroi IVA suit would be just as capable.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

I love how Fireblade is agressivly indifferent, Beryl is excited puppy, and the two pilots are excited puppies after they went through a gamer's stash of redbull in personality.

So is shoe elf just being shy or tentative.

Beryl: "Oh, yes, and if you do end up having "needs" satisfied, we have Cloud here for you. I will just have camera ready for science when you are ready."

Jardin: "For the fifteenth time, I do not need to have that need met."

geok1ng

Post by geok1ng »

So Loroi bodies are 10ºC colder than Humans?

Human couples fight over optimum air conditioning temperature.
I doubt Loroi or Humans would find embracing each other much comfortable.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

geok1ng wrote:So Loroi bodies are 10ºC colder than Humans?

My wife and I have measured our sleeping temperature differences (on skin, below blanket).
Hers was about 3 degrees (Celsius) higher than mine.

I don't want to imagine a difference of 10 degrees when hugging a blue space elf.
Just hugging is okay, but for hours during sleep?

Nah...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

geok1ng wrote:So Loroi bodies are 10ºC colder than Humans?

Except that, as a generalization, I think men often feel too hot and women often feel too cold. So snuggling in this case would satisfy both. :D

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

my wife likes mid 80s (~29.4 C) and I like mid 60s (~18.3C)

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

A colleague of mind told me about a great method for office harmony: they worked out where the cold and hot spots in the office were, and then simply moved the too warm and too cool people around...

Krin

Post by Krin »

Don't know if this has been asked / answered already.
Are we going to find out who is the third security personnel aboard the shuttle?
https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider104.html

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Krin wrote:Don't know if this has been asked / answered already.
Are we going to find out who is the third security personnel aboard the shuttle?
https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider104.html
Her name is Soroin Pideir Alain ("Flint").

Luge

Post by Luge »

So, we have...
  • Tempo, Mizol Parat (O5),

Fireblade Teidar Pallan (O4),

Beryl, Listel Tozet (O3),

Reed, Soroin Pideir (O1),
    Flint, Soroin Pideir (O1),
    Cloud, Soroin Paset (OC),

Talon, Tenoin Arrir (O2),
    Spiral, Tenoin Narrat (O1)
I presume that the general consensus among the Lori would be that Temp is in charge of this... "mission"?

Given the interesting rank and caste structure of the Loroi, I sense there could be some tension between Beryl and Talon? Beryl technically outranks Talon, but is only in a support caste as opposed to one of the warrior castes. When making decisions, do they have to ask themselves if it is a military matter, or more of a technical/diplomatic matter?

Extra: While I was typing this question, I was wondering what answers you would get if you privately asked each Loroi as to who was in charge? Would most say Tempo? Talon seems like she is "captain" of the shuttle, though.

Extra 2: For my own amusement, I was wondering how each of the people would refer to the shuttle right now. I got this far:
  • Reed: "mission"
    Tempo: "diplomatic mission"
    Beryl "scientific mission"
    Alex "circus"
    Talon: "royal fuck-up"
A.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Hmm, that's a tricky one.

On the one hand, it's a transfer flight for a diplomatic mission, so Tempo's job. On the other hand, it's all gone to crap, so it might just be Talon's job, because it's happening on her bird.

Loroi command webs look complicated; we've already seen what I presume to be a telepathic shouting match between Stillstorm "It's a fucking trap, let's dissect it in the med bay" and Tempo "It might be real, so that's a terrible idea."

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The Loroi chain of command is specific but complicated. The different castes have different areas of authority, and individuals may have specific orders that give them specific authority; who has the right to make decisions depends on the question at hand. Tempo is the ranking officer and she's in charge of the mission, but Talon is in command of the shuttle itself. As Beryl indicated on page 148, she is personally responsible for Alex, and so when it comes to the alien, she has the final say -- except where the question involves the overall mission or the operation of the shuttle. If there is a dispute between contradicting orders, the master at arms (Fireblade, in this case) resolves the dispute. And Fireblade, of course, has her own orders.

So, hypothetically, Tempo can only tell Talon or Beryl what to do regarding their own responsibilities within the context of the orders she has received from higher up. Tempo has some leeway in interpreting those orders, and so in some sense she has broad authority, but in cases where a subject may or may not pertain specifically to Tempo's orders, she must use persuasion (either to the officer in question directly, or in the last resort to the master at arms to remove that officer from duty).