How can the Loroi win?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

sunphoenix

Re: How can the Loroi win?

Post by sunphoenix »

I'd rather Not see any civilization blown up.

In the Cosmic ALL the most precious thing so rare among the stars is consciousness... the sentience that can look upon the grand Cosmos and wonder its place in the grand design! So sentience in all its variety is precious beyond all measure.

I'd never wish oblivion or ignorance upon ANY sentient species.

I'd like to see the Loroi try to help the Umiak learn to control their consumption of resources to conserve the worlds they colonize to live in harmony with the Universe rather then be forced by their practices to plunder and despoil the cosmos out of a mad rush for survival due to their own wasteful and destructive policies.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I agree with you, sunphoenix.
From my own idealistic viewpoint.

But we have to accept, that other intelligent life may think so differently, that we would be unable to force out point of view upon them.

Have you ever read the Antares trilogy by Michael McCollum?
There, Humanity is in a genocide war with an alien race, that is mindbent on destroying Humanity.
In the last book we get to learn why the aliens see the destruction of other intelligent life paramount for the future safety of their own children and their own race as a whole, due to evolutionary lections they had.
Similar to the Outsider universe, there is no FTL in the Gaussian/Einstein dimensions, but a kind of jumping is available, although the explanation there is different (no HyperSpace, and the jumppoints are even more limited than in the Outsider universe).

Book 3 is about the pitfalls of anthropomorphism (projecting Human values, morality, reasoning, logical thinking, character traits, ... on non-Human beings), and is for me a reminder to not say that your idea will work, but that we should give it a try, bearing in mind that other long-term measures might be necessary for long-term survival of the Human race, and to have plans ready for implementation while trying to teach them our views.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

wedgekree

Post by wedgekree »

The Umiak can -probably- get most resources they need from asteroids/stars for ores and energy. I'm guessing in zero gravity that making industrial infrastructure is viable for mass production.

They seem to be created through mass cloning so they do not have issues replacing losses. The Umiak (so far) do not seem to have issues with morale nor thier normal tactics of throwing away craft in frontal assaults.

If a lot of their civilization other than client species is in space or has sufficient infrastructure, so long as they can maintain a sufficient workforce/industry they can last a very long time. They won't have population issues thanks to being able to 'clone' themselves (which may not be accurate) and can over time build up more infrastructure and industry to replace losses and make new fleets. Jump points are chokepoints - even if their fleets are weakened they can still hold out large defense forces there to limit any ability to advance forwards deeper to their 'home' space. For any of folks who have done a lot of Wing Commander, they basically worked strategically like that.

If the Loroi have to commit their strategic reserves to blunt the Umiak offensive, that still benefits the Umiak as the Loroi no longer -have- said strategic reserves available in sufficient quantity. THe Umiak have been said to have very large forces behind their front lines and significant reserves - even if their forward groups are annihilated it seems likely to be able to stop any counterattack cold.

All thsi is of course presumptive of the Umiak really not -needing- planets for the msot part and being able to put most of thier industrial infrastructure in space without issue.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

sunphoenix wrote:I'd rather Not see any civilization blown up.

In the Cosmic ALL the most precious thing so rare among the stars is consciousness... the sentience that can look upon the grand Cosmos and wonder its place in the grand design! So sentience in all its variety is precious beyond all measure.

I'd never wish oblivion or ignorance upon ANY sentient species.

I'd like to see the Loroi try to help the Umiak learn to control their consumption of resources to conserve the worlds they colonize to live in harmony with the Universe rather then be forced by their practices to plunder and despoil the cosmos out of a mad rush for survival due to their own wasteful and destructive policies.
After this much war, I think there's only one option.