Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 164: Smells like buttocks! 

Post Page 164: Smells like buttocks!

Ah Spiral, telling things as they are! :mrgreen:

Looking forward to the mirror (Delayed editing)
Reforged (Irregular updates)
The Pale Horse (Completed, could use some editing)

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:02 am

Post Re: Page 164: Smells like buttocks!
And finally Tempo makes her appearance, going all doe-eyed on him.

Might be she just waited for the others to butter him up or to gauge the general mood before making her entrance.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:29 am

Or is it possible that she is still "playing the game" with Alex in an attempt to get inside his head?

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:31 am

Murph wrote:
Or is it possible that she is still "playing the game" with Alex in an attempt to get inside his head?

Of course. I wouldn't put it past her that every word or gesture is carefully calculated and weighted to maximum effect. She is a trained diplomat and spy/interrogator, after all.

And her current aim is to mollify and placate him, make him more relaxed (and thus possibly careless), and even her posture - slightly below his line of sight, looking "up" to him, in relation of their current orientation - might be a well thought out move.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:38 am

I think that Spiral put it best in regards to Tempo's approach:

Smell like buttocks!

Remember that Stillstorm called her dishonest in regards to how she approached Alex, heavily implying that they saw more eye to eye than Tempo would like Alex to believe, Tempo is still on the side that considers Alex and Humanity a threat; she just wants to hang him from his own petard. Which puts her panels up to this point in a whole new light.

Looking forward to the mirror (Delayed editing)
Reforged (Irregular updates)
The Pale Horse (Completed, could use some editing)

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:09 am

Oh yes... the Dark-Haired Goddess speaks... we have been waiting seems like forever to hear her melodious sweet voice of charm and persuasion...

[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:28 am

dragoongfa wrote:

Smell like buttocks!

Remember that Stillstorm called her dishonest in regards to how she approached Alex, heavily implying that they saw more eye to eye than Tempo would like Alex to believe, Tempo is still on the side that considers Alex and Humanity a threat; she just wants to hang him from his own petard. Which puts her panels up to this point in a whole new light.

In that case keeping a historian tag-along a secret is turning out to be an increasingly bad idea. Perhaps even a trap?

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:38 am

And, as for Spiral's comment? I think she looks quite pleased about shoving that part of a Loroi female's anatomy into Alex's face, or a part of their anatomy close by. Even if it's done in a rather indirect way....

:mrgreen:

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:40 am

boldilocks wrote:
dragoongfa wrote:

Smell like buttocks!

In that case keeping a historian tag-along a secret is turning out to be an increasingly bad idea. Perhaps even a trap?

Bad idea, trap or ace in the hole, depending how the dices roll.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:59 am

boldilocks wrote:

As I see it, for the pocket Historian to be a good idea it either has to:

1) Be of life/death value.
2) Be of diplomatic value.

And on top of either of those conditions, it has to both remain a secret, and provide that value without giving away that it or some Historian is advising him, because that could shatter Loroi trust and fundamentally alter the Loroi estimation of Humanity from shrewd/clever to gullible/pliant. Better to have quietly turned it over to the Loroi he's with and have the only outcome be that he winds up making the impression that Humans are trusting to a fault when it comes to their allies.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:57 pm

I think Tempo's eyes look more concerned than the typical bedroom eyes she has been giving during her other screen time. Like, Oh crap oh crap oh crap, I have a diplomat/potential shell spy on my hands and we are going to die!

Granted every pixel of her design screams sultry any given frame she is in, so it maybe hard to tell

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:00 pm

SaintofM wrote:
I think Tempo's eyes look more concerned than the typical bedroom eyes she has been giving during her other screen time. Like, Oh crap oh crap oh crap, I have a diplomat/potential shell spy on my hands and we are going to die!

Granted every pixel of her design screams sultry any given frame she is in, so it maybe hard to tell

So far Tempo had acted as the most collected, level headed character of the lot. Even Fireblade showed more emotion than Tempo, and that's not just the moment she tossed him into the wall. For Tempo to actually have an emotional response at this moment is a bit ... well, out of character for her. So it is more believable that what she says and does is yet another calculated move.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:55 pm

Well Tempo is likely the oldest of the group by a decade or so. So she's be more collected, and also skilled since she is a diplomat.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:25 pm

Tempo is actually more than twice as old as the second oldest, which is Fireblade at ~25.

Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:16 am

Tempo is ~54, so yes, she is more than twice as old at Fireblade, old enough to be her... mom

Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:35 am

But which way will Tempo jump in the long run? I look at Alex having two real allies: Beryl and Fireblade (as odd as that seems). Not that Fireblade would not terminate Alex if ordered to do so, or if she perceives a threat from Alex.

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:09 am

boldilocks wrote:

raistlin34 wrote:
Bad idea, trap or ace in the hole, depending how the dices roll.

Oh yes, I agree that it's a trap but one that I'm still not sure directed to/at whom? Jardin? The Loroi on board the shuttle? Both the Loroi and humanity? There is still the issue of who fired on the Bellarmine and so far, only the Historians and the Umiaks possess plasma focus technology. The Loroi pulse cannons, while being plasma tech, are decidedly different.

Then there is the issue of the Loroi not trusting the Historians into their systems and this sudden emergence of the Umiak's ability to be invisible to the Loroi's farsensing devices. The same thing happened to the Bellarmine. If the fansensing 'cloaking' is tech-based, then only the Historians (via informed ability) would be the faction sophisticated enough to do so. Not to mention that they've been with the Loroi long enough to perhaps know how it works. Perhaps the Loroi have been suspecting treachery from the Historians all along? And now the Historian representative suddenly saying to Jardin that the Loroi are the enemy? Too convenient.

At the end of the day, it could be the equivalent of a 'trust fall' exercise due to the projector being conveniently stashed in the cargo hold but again, there are still unresolved questions.
CF2 wrote:
As I see it, for the pocket Historian to be a good idea it either has to:

1) Be of life/death value.
2) Be of diplomatic value.

And on top of either of those conditions, it has to both remain a secret, and provide that value without giving away that it or some Historian is advising him, because that could shatter Loroi trust and fundamentally alter the Loroi estimation of Humanity from shrewd/clever to gullible/pliant. Better to have quietly turned it over to the Loroi he's with and have the only outcome be that he winds up making the impression that Humans are trusting to a fault when it comes to their allies.

Or inherently untrustworthy / backstabbing lot worthy of being lumped together with the Umiaks for extermination. Because at this moment, the Loroi are pressed into a corner and I can't blame them for being paranoid. Whether he realizes it or not, Jardin may well have the fate of humanity resting in his pocket at this moment.

Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:49 am

Would any of you hand over the Historian and lose out on what might be the only chance for a non Loroi perspective?

Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:37 am

Good question!

My gut feeling is to get rid of all instances of the historian, which would probably mean dump all computing devices that were recovered from the Bellarmine (which doesn’t seem a practical scenario because they would continue on the same trajectory as the Highland shuttle), or make certain the dustbin device and the compromised terrestrial computing devices cannot communicate with anything outside the shuttle, for example by placing them in a Faraday cage (or whatever works in the given circumstances).

Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:19 am

hi hi

I'm pretty sure Alex knows that he's got Humanity's fate riding on his shoulders, if not in his pocket. If the mission to establish peaceful contact fails, humanity is going to be in an... unenviable position.

Werra wrote:
Would any of you hand over the Historian and lose out on what might be the only chance for a non Loroi perspective?
I don't think my analysis of the situation has substantially changed since the historian made the suggestion to keep its presence a secret in the first place. The historian's claims seem suspect, and while I don't think I would tell them immediately about the pocket computer, I would ask them if its normal for the projector to randomly make noises and try to get their perspective on the Historians.

Of course, I probably wouldn't be selected for a mission like this in the first place.

Still, from my limited perspective, the Historian's stance sounds like a con. Alex's cooperation seems to provide no concrete benefits and only drawbacks.

Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:27 pm
Profile WWW

If it were me, I would find a way to convey (silently) the situation with the Historian. Alex is there to make contact/pursue relations with the Loroi or the Umiak, not any other client species. I would not want to risk Humanity's image in Loroi eyes at all. Assuming the pocket historian is blind with the data pad in his pocket, Alex could attempt to carry on a "regular" conversation with the Loroi while writing out what transpired. Alternately, he could attempt to whisper it directly into the ears of Tempo at a level where the microphone on the data pad could not pick it up.

This all assumes, of course, that the big container doesn't have surveillance equipment of its own... which now that I think of it, it probably does.

If the Loroi have ill intent for Alex... his mission has already failed. Allying/helping the Historian might improve his individual position, but will only make things worse for Humanity. If the Historian is just trying to play him, exposing it to the Loroi will only help his standing in their eyes.

Based on what I've seen and the Historian's dialogue, I believe Prophet's Reason is going to attempt a pickup of Alex, and only Alex, with the purpose of parading him around to undermine the Loroi claim to genetic supremacy. Why else would they not want to tell the Loroi crew of their arrival? They'd have a much better chance against a powered-down shuttle and sluggish guards (including a Teidar) with the element of surprise. The Historian is helping them in this for their own balance-of-power reasons, the specifics of which I can't guess. I don't think Alex will hand over the Historian before he gets picked up, but once he realizes what is happening, I think he'll do what he can to resist and get the Loroi rescued.

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:44 pm

In this situation, Alex's only friends are the ones haunting his dreams.

The comanding officer may have her own plans for him as if this works out this will mean prestige and fame throughout the system, and one hell of a promotion. If nothing else, for a none combat role, this will mean prestige for her class. If things go thought, well pinky can always go in an open airlock.

Fireblade does not like him, and probably has a more commanding presence than the other security detail. I am not sure why she does not like him, but yelling at her when he was first probed and she may not liked to have failed at rbing the alien.

Or she may now have a connection with the Humaniti due to the fact she mind raped him so hard he can see her even when his eyes were closed. I suspect she might be seeing some of the random bits of memory in her dreams and is tired of the chaos. She might want to sever that connection the easy way. The REAL easy way.

THe others would follow orders no matter what. Beryl showed the most concern for him throughout but when rank was pulled she had to step away in the interrogation room.

Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:47 pm

Eh, the historian is interesting. Why did it reveal itself to him at all? It seems like it should have easily been able to just hack the device without him knowing, and then do whatever it wanted. :/

Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:33 pm

icekatze wrote:
Still, from my limited perspective, the Historian's stance sounds like a con. Alex's cooperation seems to provide no concrete benefits and only drawbacks.

The immediate pro of the Historian seems to be an alleged contact with the barsam ship, and the possibility of rendezvous.

Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:54 pm

Werra wrote:

Difficult question.

My life depends on the Loroi.
And their goodwill and trust. [*]

I am their "guest", but have no way of contacting or going home.

Likely I would want to hear a bit about Loroi relationship with the different races of the Union, especially the Historians, because they seem to be seclusive when only using an AI/personality construct on missions. - Yes, I want continued access to the Historian construct. It could give me a different view, and thus allow my decisions to be of better informed quality than purely information given by the Loroi.

Likely I'll come to the conclusion that I'd want the Loroi to know about the construct, but that I would require them to leave me full access to "my datapad", as I am the Human Ambassador, and the data pad is Human property. - Yes, I'd give the Loroi time for discussions with the personality construct too, if needed without me. The Loroi must be able to trust this device as well, otherwise it and me would get "silenced" the harsh way too.

So I'd likely wait a day or two to try to get the information of how Loroi interact with the Loroi Union members, and then try to throw ashes on my head for having not yet told them about it, but have a conversation of all three (Loroi, construct, and myself).
But I would very likely not tell the Loroi about the warning (and I would want some time free of interruption (from Loroi) to discuss with the personality construct about its motives and reasons).
And I would request paper/pen, for personal information storage, as some information should not be stored on the Historian-infiltrated datapad.

[*]knowing that the Historian Construct could get me killed as quickly as well, if it has means to undetectably inform Historians, then it could also alert whatever to shoot down this shuttle.

System view Leido Crossroads: page 123

Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next