Page 166: Not so true!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

orion1836

Page 166: Not so true!

Post by orion1836 »

Poor Spiral.

Voitan

Re: Page 166: Not so true!

Post by Voitan »

I love this alien culture stuff. What is the reason for its function? As for probability, I wonder the double slit experiment might get a mention from Jardin, with the usual smart-alec remark, or joke about the oddity. Surely it will get patched out when the universe gets updated. It would surely cause fits from the Historian, whether it be laughter, outrage, or getting spooked.
Last edited by Voitan on Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

Spiral needs a head pat. Talon looks like she needs something else.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

asaenvolk wrote:Spiral needs a head pat. Talon looks like she needs something else.

I like the foot in mouth moment for Alex. So would the knife be a momento then?

novius

Post by novius »

...and here we learn together with Alex that Loroi do have their own set of superstitions, and that the Loroi/English dictionary may need an update.

And, really, Talon? Dissing Spiral's language skills? :)

Though, it is a sign that they all feel sort of relaxed around Alex if they're comfortable to talk about even more touchy or depressing subjects. They would have cut it any time if it would be otherwise, especially after his fauxpas.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Yep, Talon needs a holiday.

Superstitions about probabilities - that’s quite a good way to put it. Well done Arioch for showing some language work arounds.

I think pretty much everyone on that bird could benefit from some counselling, and a holiday, and for their friends to stop dying. Only Beryl seems to be having a good time (and I guess she’s got plenty of gaps in her address book).

Hopefully some cross-cultural entertainment will result when loroi and human notions of luck are discussed.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

novius wrote:Though, it is a sign that they all feel sort of relaxed around Alex if they're comfortable to talk about even more touchy or depressing subjects. They would have cut it any time if it would be otherwise, especially after his fauxpas.
Remember, most Loroi don't do tact. I'm not sure they have a concept of "faux pas". They're probably used to hearing the thoughts of people who don't know things, and proceeding to correct them on it. Only difference here is that they're talking to someone whose intentions behind the words aren't something they can just know.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

Murph

Post by Murph »

Rather than luck, I call it Fate, or closer to the Norse Wyrd.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

That is what I was thinking too Murph

Murph

Post by Murph »

asaenvolk wrote:That is what I was thinking too Murph
The Loroi seem more Norse in outlook to me.

novius

Post by novius »

RedDwarfIV wrote:
novius wrote:Though, it is a sign that they all feel sort of relaxed around Alex if they're comfortable to talk about even more touchy or depressing subjects. They would have cut it any time if it would be otherwise, especially after his fauxpas.
Remember, most Loroi don't do tact. I'm not sure they have a concept of "faux pas". They're probably used to hearing the thoughts of people who don't know things, and proceeding to correct them on it. Only difference here is that they're talking to someone whose intentions behind the words aren't something they can just know.
While being mostly straightforward and brutally honest, I do think that Loroi understand the concept of tact and propriety, given Talon's reaction. Without such an understanding, she would have asked something like "'Sorry'? For what?"

So yes, I think even a Loroi would rarely say (or send) "Yes, this dress does make you look fat", but opt for a statement like "I'm not sure you'd wish to hear the answer to that." Then, even if it's a Loroi expecting a honest answer, a statement like this is already enough of an answer.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

novius wrote: ...
So yes, I think even a Loroi would rarely say (or send) "Yes, this dress does make you look fat", but opt for a statement like "I'm not sure you'd wish to hear the answer to that."
I have gotten good mileage out of "That dress isn't particularly flattering for you." It's true and useful while still being gentle.

Murph

Post by Murph »

kiwi wrote:
novius wrote: ...
So yes, I think even a Loroi would rarely say (or send) "Yes, this dress does make you look fat", but opt for a statement like "I'm not sure you'd wish to hear the answer to that."
I have gotten good mileage out of "That dress isn't particularly flattering for you." It's true and useful while still being gentle.
A variant for me, is "That is not really a good look for you".

Murph

Post by Murph »

Also are we going to see Fireblade out of armor, and as relaxed as she could get? It would be interesting to have some panels where she is going through some telepathic PTSD possibly to "humanize" her in Alex's opinion. Also it might be good to get some of the Loroi characters backstory to flesh out things.

geok1ng

Post by geok1ng »

Loroi are creepy, just like the historian said.

novius

Post by novius »

Murph wrote:Also are we going to see Fireblade out of armor, and as relaxed as she could get? It would be interesting to have some panels where she is going through some telepathic PTSD possibly to "humanize" her in Alex's opinion. Also it might be good to get some of the Loroi characters backstory to flesh out things.
"Fireblade" and "relaxed" are two words that don't go well together in my mind. I think it would be more like a "we need to talk" scene, especially after what happened during Beryl's experiment.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

novius wrote:
Murph wrote:Also are we going to see Fireblade out of armor, and as relaxed as she could get? It would be interesting to have some panels where she is going through some telepathic PTSD possibly to "humanize" her in Alex's opinion. Also it might be good to get some of the Loroi characters backstory to flesh out things.
"Fireblade" and "relaxed" are two words that don't go well together in my mind. I think it would be more like a "we need to talk" scene, especially after what happened during Beryl's experiment.

Yeah, but it might be relaxed in the same way a cat is while hunting. They sleep 18/20 hours a day because they are conserving energy with "cat naps" but are ready t spring into action at a moments notice. THe relationship here is very big cat, one very small mouse.