176: Low Tide!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Sturzkampf

Re: 176: Low Tide!

Post by Sturzkampf »

"Is that sanitary?"
"Don't worry. Cows have excellent immune systems."

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

Sturzkampf wrote:"Is that sanitary?"
"Don't worry. Cows have excellent immune systems."
Also, Pasteurization just in case

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

gaerzi wrote:
Overkill Engine wrote:Yeah anything anise flavored like black licorice is just vile in strong enough concentrations. One of the few flavorings that will literally make me puke. Hell just imagining the smell makes me nauseous. And what I read about the versions made overseas does not give me faith in its edibility there either.
Edible? You don't eat anise. You drink it!

My experiences with absinthe make me stand by my words. Anise is vile!

On a somewhat related tangent, I tolerate Cilantro just fine but it apparently tastes like nasty soap to other people.

RockB

Post by RockB »

"Is that sanitary?"
"We don't ... *sigh*... care about that." (<- that was actually my first thought) :?

Anise is strong repellant for me, you can add Pernod to the drinks I won't go near, even the thought of it makes me shiver. But I have no problem with licorice of all sorts, I don't find the anise smell or taste in that.

Also... there seem to be no differentiation in English between "Süßholz" (don't try to pronounce it, the literal translation would be "sweetwood"):
and "Lakritz", which is the product that is made from sweetwood:
- it's both licorice.

While I'm at it:
"One does need to exercise care in how Sori and Dogos are prepared." --> Fugu anyone?:
Image Image

And also:
Overkill Engine wrote:On a somewhat related tangent, I tolerate Cilantro just fine but it apparently tastes like nasty soap to other people.
Can confirm. Tastes literally like someone dropped a bar of soap into the dish. :(

Sturzkampf

Post by Sturzkampf »

bunnyboy wrote:Which one you want to have dinner date with?
I myself really cant decide.
I think in my case a more pertinent question would be "which one would want to have a dinner date with me?" :-)

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

orion1836 wrote:
Krulle wrote:
Incinerator wrote:Heathen barbarians, the lot of you!

Mmm.... licorice.
You show me a picture of that.... blasphemious stuff?
Ven though there's not much liquorice in all of that together, it's still debatable if that wasn't a waste of a good product.

Your, Sir, are a heathen thyself!

(But the shown stuff was my gateway drug for liquorice...
Now I enjoy ones where a single black pellet has more liquorice in it that a full carton of these Haribo packages
My wife enjoys them even stronger... But they're getting harder and harder to get in good, enjoyable qualities...)

Ok... I am a texture person. I cannot stand the taste of natural licorice, but I will eat these things whenever I find them because to me they have the perfect texture.

If they had red licorice with this same texture, I would never stop eating them.
Obligatory Kid Next Door: Pirates of Black Licorice reference:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ejH9RBmV9s[/youtube]

NuclearIceCream

Post by NuclearIceCream »

RockB wrote:"Is that sanitary?"
"We don't ... *sigh*... care about that." (<- that was actually my first thought) :?
I think Jardin was gonna say we dont drink it from the teat.

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

NuclearIceCream wrote:

Just wait until he explains cheese to them.

RockB

Post by RockB »

NuclearIceCream wrote:I think Jardin was gonna say we dont drink it from the teat.
For real, it took me more than a day, rather nearly two days after I had seen the page, to realize that that's what he was gonna say. :D But thanks for confirming it. :)

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

This comic is now in living color on (what network is this?).

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Ithekro wrote:This comic is now in living color on (what network is this?).
NBC of course!
Neridi Broadcasting Company

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

If we're going to introduce them to our foods, chocolate needs to be the first thing they taste.

folti

Post by folti »

Overkill Engine wrote:
NuclearIceCream wrote:

Just wait until he explains cheese to them.
Or yoghurt, sour cream, wine, beer, and all the other fermented foods. Especially the ones where the preparation means let it essentially rot for weeks. Like kimchi, surströmming and their ilk ...

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

gaerzi wrote:
Overkill Engine wrote:Yeah anything anise flavored like black licorice is just vile in strong enough concentrations. One of the few flavorings that will literally make me puke. Hell just imagining the smell makes me nauseous. And what I read about the versions made overseas does not give me faith in its edibility there either.
Edible? You don't eat anise. You drink it!
I agree.

But also:
Anise in a completely different form, is a breakfast snack for kids here.
And served as "Beschuit" when a child is born.
Therefore, two colours are standard (besides that half of them in a package are white), an additional colour is available for a short time if a royal birth happened (orange!):
They're called "Muisjes" (literally: "little mice"), and a closeup of the single candied anise seeds does indeed look like a small mouse, because a small strand of the anise seed usually stands out...

Crunchy.

Edit: there's even an English wikipedia pageabout them. Link added.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

novius

Post by novius »

Something I didn't see mentioned here....

I'm pretty sure the Loroi wouldn't have been grossed out that much if Alex had been an alien alien to them. As in, if he had been too dissimilar, they'd have simply put it off with an "oh, it's an insectoid/cephalopod thing to do", and move on.

That they had reacted that much means that the Loroi do regard him as similar enough to have the same sensibilities as Loroi do have - and be put off when they learn that humans have some marked differences in how they are and how they things do.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

folti wrote:Or yoghurt, sour cream, wine, beer, and all the other fermented foods. Especially the ones where the preparation means let it essentially rot for weeks. Like kimchi, surströmming and their ilk ...
"Ya, basically ye piss on it, bury it for a few months, and then it's pretty good eating."