Page 189: GO AWAY!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

danuis

Re: Page 189: GO AWAY!

Post by danuis »

What does 'altering and booby trapping' entail? Something like the "Homo Jihadi" [sic] of Orion's Arm? Or walking virus bags something akin out of Nurgle subterfuge?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

danuis wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:23 pm
What does 'altering and booby trapping' entail? Something like the "Homo Jihadi" [sic] of Orion's Arm? Or walking virus bags something akin out of Nurgle subterfuge?
Basically, imagine the worst body horror movie you've ever seen. Umiak agents (badly) disguised as Loroi, Loroi captives implanted with explosive or biological weapons, and altered or fabricated Loroi meat puppets just designed to demoralize the enemy by pulling "The Thing" moves when no one expects it.

Arioch wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:50 am
The Umiak "tricks" that Tempo refers to have variously been surgically altered Umiak, surgically and/or mentally altered captured Loroi, or gene-tailored Loroi variants that were artificially conceived, birthed and raised from childhood by the Umiak.
Arioch wrote:
Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:14 am
the Umiak have had Loroi prisoners since the start of the war (25 years by this point), and they have studied them and interrogated them and pulled them apart and put them back together in about as many ways as you can possibly imagine. By this point, the Umiak know almost as much as the Loroi do about how telepathy works -- which to say, not very much. But they also know by this point nearly everything there is to know about Loroi biology, and it's well within the capabilities of Umiak technology to alter or to even grow their own Loroi. They have certainly done so in the past, and many times, as Tempo alludes to on page 56. A number of the refugees recovered from Seren and other recaptured planets had been tampered with or were outright constructs.

Although these attempts have angered the Loroi greatly, the Loroi have pretty effective tools to deal with them. Medical scanners can easily detect mechanical and surgical alterations, and telepathic probing gives a good chance to detect psychological tampering. Even so, the simpler safeguard is that (with a few notable exceptions) no one who has been under Umiak influence will ever again be allowed within a mile of anything sensitive. (With this in mind, I think you can see why some of the Loroi are very nervous about Alex. They don't know where he came from or where he's been, and he's immune to the telepathic probing that would prove that he's not an Umiak agent.)

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

Arioch wrote:
even grow their own Loroi
I missed that part before.

That presents another disturbing implication - while they lack the expertise and probably lag way behind in amps, there's little stopping Umiak from eventually obtaining their own Hierarchy-grown and raised Farseers with capabilities close to those of the originals. Time keeps working against the Union. Even before the current offensive fell on their heads, they already needed a game-changer, and they needed it badly.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Mk_C wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:10 am
That presents another disturbing implication - while they lack the expertise and probably lag way behind in amps, there's little stopping Umiak from eventually obtaining their own Hierarchy-grown and raised Farseers with capabilities close to those of the originals. Time keeps working against the Union. Even before the current offensive fell on their heads, they already needed a game-changer, and they needed it badly.
There are three elements that go into making a "Farsensing Device", and while the existence of Loroi Farsensing capability is common knowledge, details about these elements are not. I expect Umiak intelligence has probably interrogated enough Loroi by now to have a good idea of what these elements are, and they have probably recovered enough wreckage of Loroi flagships to know what the amplifiers look like, but I doubt very much that they have recovered a live Farseer or anyone who knows details about the third element much less how to synthesize it.

But I do agree with your overall assessment that the Union is running out of time.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

On the issue of Humanity glassing a world:

Give us time and an enemy...we'll come up with something over the top if given a long enough war.

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

Arioch wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:37 am
details about the third element much less how to synthesize it.
Ooooooooooooooooooh! I wonder what that could be! Is it drugs? I bet it's hardcore, extremely psychoactive, mind-wrecking drugs. Serves to explain why Farseers have a short shelf life.

What do you think, guys? Have our favourite vanilla blueberries been strategically applying brain-melting dope for military recon purposes all this time? Or could it be something more simple that I'm overlooking?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:56 pm
GeoModder wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:37 pm
Humanity hasn't as yet glassed a planet...
To be fair, we haven't as yet had the opportunity, :D
It sounds like they've had the opportunity with the Aldea crisis. Things simply didn't come that far.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Arioch wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:51 pm
danuis wrote:
Basically, imagine the worst body horror movie you've ever seen. Umiak agents (badly) disguised as Loroi, Loroi captives implanted with explosive or biological weapons, and altered or fabricated Loroi meat puppets just designed to demoralize the enemy by pulling "The Thing" moves when no one expects it.
"How do you do, fellow disgusting bipeds?"

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

GeoModder wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:48 am
Arioch wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:56 pm
GeoModder wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:37 pm
Humanity hasn't as yet glassed a planet...
To be fair, we haven't as yet had the opportunity, :D
It sounds like they've had the opportunity with the Aldea crisis. Things simply didn't come that far.
You glass a planet either out of spite or because you really hate the fuckers calling it home and you aren't in position to take it from them. The Aldea crisis probably was a minor, by relative standards, dispute of which colonial settlement has authority where.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Well, it caused the establishment of the TCA's fleet.
And at least one of the actors in said dispute, the Martian Yinghuo nation, has a reputation for outspoken agression.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I think it is a prudent policy not to glass a planet that you live on.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Arioch wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:37 am
but I doubt very much that they have recovered a live Farseer or anyone who knows details about the third element much less how to synthesize it.
She who controls the spice controls the universe!
Outsider in Russian

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

SVlad wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:23 pm
She who controls the spice controls the universe!
Not since the God-Emperor of Shellkind has bred a strain of shells invisible to prescience she doesn't.

danuis

Post by danuis »

Arioch wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:51 pm
danuis wrote:

Arioch wrote:
The Umiak "tricks" that Tempo refers to have variously been surgically altered Umiak, surgically and/or mentally altered captured Loroi, or gene-tailored Loroi variants that were artificially conceived, birthed and raised from childhood by the Umiak.
Arioch wrote:
Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:14 am
the Umiak have had Loroi prisoners since the start of the war (25 years by this point), and they have studied them and interrogated them and pulled them apart and put them back together in about as many ways as you can possibly imagine. By this point, the Umiak know almost as much as the Loroi do about how telepathy works -- which to say, not very much. But they also know by this point nearly everything there is to know about Loroi biology, and it's well within the capabilities of Umiak technology to alter or to even grow their own Loroi. They have certainly done so in the past, and many times, as Tempo alludes to on page 56. A number of the refugees recovered from Seren and other recaptured planets had been tampered with or were outright constructs.

Although these attempts have angered the Loroi greatly, the Loroi have pretty effective tools to deal with them. Medical scanners can easily detect mechanical and surgical alterations, and telepathic probing gives a good chance to detect psychological tampering. Even so, the simpler safeguard is that (with a few notable exceptions) no one who has been under Umiak influence will ever again be allowed within a mile of anything sensitive. (With this in mind, I think you can see why some of the Loroi are very nervous about Alex. They don't know where he came from or where he's been, and he's immune to the telepathic probing that would prove that he's not an Umiak agent.)

That sounds...bloody awesome, I would hope and love to see Umiak Loroi. That body horror-thing stuff is my jam.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Dunno if I should ask in this thread, but when will we get the next page? Is this webcomic weekly of bi-weekly?

Mithramuse

Post by Mithramuse »

The comic is... sporadic, may be the best way to put it? You can see the update history on the main page, since Arioch puts the date with each; there have been 20 pages in 2020 thus far, so averaging to 2/month, but you can see there is a large gap from 13 July to 21 September. These things happen. It's a good comic, worth sticking around for. :)

--Mithramuse

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

Chapter 4 is where things get crazy.

kyosanim

Post by kyosanim »

spacewhale wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:53 am
That must be 10 years from now, we aren't even in chapter 3. :D

DCR

Post by DCR »

kyosanim wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:16 am
spacewhale wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:53 am
That must be 10 years from now, we aren't even in chapter 3. :D
Talk like that gonna make me sad, my guy.

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

I feel like we're nearing chapter 3, the nights get longer, colder (in this hemisphere), something in the wind tells me so.