Page 206: Just needs an expert's touch

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Dan Wyatt

Re: Page 206: Just needs an expert's touch

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Bamax wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:31 pm
I wonder what 'Krik!' means?
It means " OH SHIT!"

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Bamax wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:31 pm
I wonder what 'Krik!' means?
It's just the sound of the sensory appendage extending and retracting.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Wait is this guy alone do the Umaki actually just send one soldier to search a ship? I mean yeah they do shit in a mulitasking manner all the time but one hardtrooper can't be considered enough in any case given the sheer way the Umaki throw numbers at their problems.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Snoofman wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:29 am
While the Umiak seem like ruthless bastards (though still unclear if in fact more ruthless than the loroi), I'm starting to see why the Umiak truly dread the loroi. If a Mizol can truly 'influence' an Umiak mind, then the Umiak have all the reason in the world to be afraid for their safety and regard loroi with psychic powers as 'witches'. The only problem is that they lose their #%&*ing minds and mow down entire planets just to feel safe.

I wonder if this story is going to have some allegory alluding to how we humans stress so much on security in order to 'feel' safe and how dangerous that can actually be.
Dude where do you live that people's security isn't under threat? I mean shit you have Antifa and BLM rampaging unchecked in the USA and Biden's nonsense at the border is making ammo even scarcer in Texas. In hindsight space elves who mind fuck you sure would unite the human race hell how immune are humans to the Loroi if Alex is reliving dreams of Umaki hard troops?

Arent

Post by Arent »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:41 pm
Wait is this guy alone do the Umaki actually just send one soldier to search a ship? I mean yeah they do shit in a mulitasking manner all the time but one hardtrooper can't be considered enough in any case given the sheer way the Umaki throw numbers at their problems.
Probably just story/art constraints. The other Umiak are assumed to be somewhere else in the shuttle.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arent wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:59 pm
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:41 pm
Probably just story/art constraints. The other Umiak are assumed to be somewhere else in the shuttle.
With the poor of small doors the Umiak were defeated this day!

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

The doors have a limited size. Don't expect more than one to pass through a gap in a wall at any given time.
Those exoskeletons are HUGE.
[edit] Heh, been ninja'ed on this[/edit]

[offtopic]
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:20 pm
[real-life politics, red coloured]
Your reply is rather off-topic, because the felt lack of security is home-made in the USoA.

I don't feel safe around people repeating lies for which there is no single proof, and which have been consistently rebuked by courts.
[/offtopic]
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Krulle wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:04 pm
The doors have a limited size. Don't expect more than one to pass through a gap in a wall at any given time.
Those exoskeletons are HUGE.
[edit] Heh, been ninja'ed on this[/edit]

[offtopic]
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
[real-life politics, red coloured]
Your reply is rather off-topic, because the felt lack of security is home-made in the USoA.

I don't feel safe around people repeating lies for which there is no single proof, and which have been consistently rebuked by courts.
[/offtopic]
Again where is this just send me a link to a source not in debt to millions to the people they lied about and sent threats too? Never mind it probably doesn't exsist.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Rules for posting.

In particular:
Second, if you have some kind of real-world political or social axe to grind... please don't grind it here. In science fiction we talk about all kinds of political systems, and I have a wide tolerance for off-topic posts, but if all you want to do is to complain about X real-world politician or Y real-world political movement, I would really appreciate it if you did it somewhere else. There are tens of thousands of political forums to air your personal ire, and I don't really feel like this needs to be one of them. Obviously, this is a fine line, and I will observe a lot of leeway in this respect, up to and until it becomes a clear violation of the first rule.
My apologies for backseat moderating but I don't want for anyone in this thread to get inadvertently in moderator trouble.

jonwassing

Post by jonwassing »

Yup, called it. Illusion to make the shuttle seem empty. Very clever move, much better than trying to take on a force you have no idea the strength or size of.

Kinda bummed that it looks like they're going to sacrifice Cloud, though. Pragmatic, but sad.

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Snoofman wrote:
I wonder if this story is going to have some allegory alluding to how we humans stress so much on security in order to 'feel' safe and how dangerous that can actually be.
nonsense at the border is making ammo even scarcer in Texas.
I do feel that someone making quite hasty decisions about what someone else could do before anything is actually done and this leading to drastic consequences would be a perfect allegory for the story.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

jonwassing wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:04 pm
Yup, called it. Illusion to make the shuttle seem empty. Very clever move, much better than trying to take on a force you have no idea the strength or size of.

Kinda bummed that it looks like they're going to sacrifice Cloud, though. Pragmatic, but sad.
From the looks of it, not only Cloud. I haven't seen the other two Soroin since the slumber party.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Mk_C wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:05 pm
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Snoofman wrote:
I do feel that someone making quite hasty decisions about what someone else could do before anything is actually done and this leading to drastic consequences would be a perfect allegory for the story.
Anything to justify screwing over people you dislike?

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:24 pm
I meant Stilstorm deciding that Alex must be bound up and tortured. Or Greywind glassing the Tithric. Or the Hierarchy deciding that pre-emptively invading the Union is a good idea. It's seems like a recurring theme. So yes - kinda like that.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

jonwassing wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:04 pm

Not sure. This kind of operations should have happened many times during the war, so both sides must be wise to the other's tricks.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Mk_C wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:30 pm
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:24 pm
I meant Stilstorm deciding that Alex must be bound up and tortured. Or Greywind glassing the Tithric. Or the Hierarchy deciding that pre-emptively invading the Union is a good idea. It's seems like a recurring theme. So yes - kinda like that.
Well the Loroi waited to be attacked by the Umaki so it looks like waiting for others to do unto you is a bad idea. Just like doing nothing about border security is getting good people in southerner states killed.

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:21 pm
Well the Loroi waited to be attacked by the Umaki so it looks like waiting for others to do unto you is a bad idea.
As opposed to attacking the Hierarchy in it's own territory, where Farseeing of enemy fleets is obscured by planetary populations, the shells are nowhere near as limited in logistical terms, and can freely apply their full numbers, while Loroi are desperately outnumbered and need to haul their shit across multiple jumps when they don't have forces to defend their communications against the Orange Tide, most likely landing the Union in the Tasinei Ways situation but way sooner? Some Barbarossa-tier logic here.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Mk_C wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:05 am
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:21 pm
Well the Loroi waited to be attacked by the Umaki so it looks like waiting for others to do unto you is a bad idea.
As opposed to attacking the Hierarchy in it's own territory, where Farseeing of enemy fleets is obscured by planetary populations, the shells are nowhere near as limited in logistical terms, and can freely apply their full numbers, while Loroi are desperately outnumbered and need to haul their shit across multiple jumps when they don't have forces to defend their communications against the Orange Tide, most likely landing the Union in the Tasinei Ways situation but way sooner? Some Barbarossa-tier logic here.
They clearly did nothing to prepare for an attack from a horde of bugs seems their entire life goal was to simply hit weaker foes for fun when htey should have known the Umaki are ever expanding monsters that consume all things before them. Nice plan only the left would think that one up.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

If I recall the war started due to some kind of border dispute that turned violent. It is unclear who started it, or if the whole thing was bait setup by the Umaik as an excuse for war, but the Umaik were ready for a war. The Loroi were not as they did not have much information about the Umaik holdings and way of operations. Loroi tactics are based on knowing where your enemy is going to be and having more force there than they can deal with. Thus they don't need as many forces are they can redeploy to the system they need before the enemy attacks by using the Farseeers to know the enemy is coming a system or two away. On top of this there weapons technology was inferior to the Umaik at the start of the war. The introduction of the Wave-Loom and Pulse Cannons shifted the balance more into the Loroi's favor for range and firepower, but the Wave-Loom seems to be rare in the current fleet. Likely technical problems, or tactical problems with the thing. A new generation of Wave-Looms seems to have been installed on the Emperor's flagship. So maybe some of the newer Command Cruisers might get one of these at some point.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Mk_C wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:05 pm
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Snoofman wrote:
Crazy that people want to be prepared for a possible crisis after 2020.
MK_C wrote:I meant Stilstorm deciding that Alex must be bound up and tortured. Or Greywind glassing the Tithric. Or the Hierarchy deciding that pre-emptively invading the Union is a good idea. It's seems like a recurring theme. So yes - kinda like that.
Stillstorms decision made sense at the time. The thought that the lone surivor of some random ship wreck is not only a genuine member of the heretofore template species, but that this species is also immune to telepathy is quite outlandish. Arioch has already confirmed that the Umiak did make use of Loroi body doubles to try to infiltrate Loroi forces. Without further information it's a lot more sensible to assume another Umiak trick. If the alien turns out to be the real deal, well, the Loroi will have to test out whether they can break through the Lotai sooner or later anyway.

Greywind genocided the Tithric AFTER their inability, unwillingness or lack of action gave the Umiak beneficial attack vectors into Loroi space.

The Hierarchy invaded Union territory under unclear circumstances. We don't know what spurred them into action. It might very well be that the war started by accident and that the Umiak were under the genuine believe that they were about to be invaded themselves. Alternatively, they could have come to the conclusion that invasion then was more beneficial than further coexistence. For example a projection of growth rates of both empires, the Loroi making advances in some key fields or Umiak fears that with the passage of time, the Lorois Mizol and telepaths would give the Union a significant strategic advantage.

That two parties are in conflict doesn't mean they can't have valid reasons for their behaviour.