210 Far-sensing?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Jagged

Re: 210 Far-sensing?

Post by Jagged »

Looking at this page again, Alex's face in the final panel is my typical "migraine-face" when I start getting vision distortions.
Which probably captures the mood quite nicely :)

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Cthulhu wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:14 am
There's that old joke about everyone knowing Dave, so how about a plot twist? Not only does Alex know Dave, they're best buddies! After their re-union, Dave will give him a ride back home and even help broker an alliance with the Umiak.
Everyone knows DaveShow
Dave was bragging to his boss one day, "You know, I know everyone there is to know. Just name someone, anyone, and I know them."

Tired of his boasting, his boss called his bluff, "OK, Dave, how about Tom Cruise?"

"No dramas, boss, Tom and I are old friends, and I can prove it." So Dave and his boss fly out to Hollywood and knock on Tom Cruise's door, and Tom Cruise shouts,

"Dave! What's happening? Great to see you! Come on in for a beer!"

Although impressed, Dave's boss is still skeptical. After they leave Cruise's house, he tells Dave that he thinks him knowing Cruise was just lucky.

"No, no, just name anyone else," Dave says.

"President Obama," his boss quickly retorts.

"Yup," Dave says, "Old buddies, let's fly out to Washington," and off they go.

At the White House, Obama spots Dave on the tour and motions him and his boss over, saying, "Dave, what a surprise, I was just on my way to a meeting, but you and your friend come on in and let's have a beer first and catch up."

Well, the boss is very shaken by now, but still not totally convinced. After they leave the White House grounds, he expresses his doubts to Dave, who again implores him to name anyone else.

"Pope Francis," his boss replies.

"Sure!" says Dave. "I've known the Pope for years." So off they fly to Rome.

Dave and his boss are assembled with the masses at the Vatican's St. Peter's Square when Dave says, "This will never work. I can't catch the Pope's eye among all these people. Tell you what, I know all the guards, so let me just go upstairs, and I'll come out on the balcony with the Pope." He disappears into the crowd, headed towards the Vatican.

Sure enough, half an hour later Dave emerges with the Pope on the balcony, but by the time Dave returns, he finds that his boss has had a heart attack and is surrounded by paramedics.

Making his way to his boss' side, Dave asks him, "What happened?"

His boss looks up and says, "It was the final straw… you and the Pope came out on to the balcony and the man next to me said, 'Who the fuck is that on the balcony with Dave?'
Google youtube algorithm is weird....
This stumbled up in my random plays:
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

QuakeIV

Post by QuakeIV »

I take it more bug drawings are breaking your balls?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Has anyone ever considered that Alex may not be the only human survivor? That the Loroi had in fact recovered at least a few other human survivors and isolated them from each other? Also, this may be a bit of a stretch, has anyone ever thought that the containers, which would naturally be coffins, are actually hibernation pods? And the reason Alex can detect them in his hypnogogic state is because they are just barely conscious? Or perhaps he can barely see past their lotai?

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

But why can he see them now, and apparently never before? ('Course, we don't know why he is only now able to detect the Loroi).

Of course there could always be other survivors (if so, then it's 100% certain to be a previously named character). But why would the Loroi separate them? Or keep them on ice? Almost anyone would outrank Alex, so why include him as the new ambassador? And if the Loroi had recovered other human survivors, I think the probability that the Loroi would isolate them in the cargo hold of the same shuttle Alix is on is very low.

Now, the idea that the Umiak may have recovered human survivors (from one of the other scout ships) makes a little bit more sense to me.