210 Far-sensing?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

bunnyboy

Re: 210 Far-sensing?

Post by bunnyboy »

I say many things show at this page is not perceivable by Alex and exist only for readers. Jost like glowing eyes when psychopowers are used. Or face of Alex in last panel, which should be at utter darkness.

The shape of ship can also be visible, because the characters there have been around and they remember where they are.
The human shapes inside boxes are perhaps just for size, as Alex is quessing what is inside, though that the image is clear enough that Alex can count them does awake questions. Perhaps it was grim task of Fireblade to load them, so she did included the number at her sending.

And lastly, if I remember it right, Fireblade has a rare ability of psykokinesis, so it makes sense that her ability make her more sensible toward material objects, as she can interact with them.
Supporter of forum RPG

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

I love the size difference display of the Umiaki shame we can't get more of the normal bugs do some hardtroops move on tracks? In all ever Loroi that had been in contact with Alex would also include the unnamed doctors and the other women who put a blanket on Alex when he asked for one?

Arent

Post by Arent »

bunnyboy wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:19 pm
The human shapes inside boxes are perhaps just for size, as Alex is quessing what is inside, though that the image is clear enough that Alex can count them does awake questions. Perhaps it was grim task of Fireblade to load them, so she did included the number at her sending.
Well, you are basically bringing up all the good points against Alex just piggy backing on the Loroi's telepathy :mrgreen: Of course, the true explanation is still open at this point, but I would take the stance that Alex has his very own 'ability'.

Apparently, Humans in Outsider significantly differ from humans in the real world:

(1) Humans can't be sensed for some reason - as someone else pointed out, the Bellarmine wasn't detected, which means the other Humans were undetectable as well
(2) Alex was able to sense Fireblade before she even touched him for the first time. At best Spiral & Talon might have touched him while rescuing him.
(3) Alex ability seems to grow stronger for some reason
(4) He is not on his own "sensing" image as well - I assume on the right, opposite to Fireblade, is Beryl with a pistol and front of her is no one.

-> One might now speculate that Humans' latent psychic ability in the outsider universe are somehow 'blocked'.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

We don't necessarily know that Fireblade hadn't touched alex before he woke up. She might have been brought into the infirmary to try to push through what they probably assumed was an intentional barrier.

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

We know from chapter cover that she did unpack him from the suit.
Also this page makes me think that loroi might have killed Kirkland since she was near alex and could possibly survived blast.
"Something bothered me about it"

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Mithramuse wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:21 am
Dan Wyatt wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:14 am
Where's Beryl then?
She should be the lone Loroi in the lower right of the group. She would nominally be right behind Alex, and he's mentioned she had a gun in her left hand.
Hmm...
The facts that (1) Alex should be seated in front of Beryl, and (2) he does not show up in his own "vison", and (3) the Loroi cannot sense him even when he is directly in front of them tells me that Alex is somehow receiving a "broadcast" form the other Loroi, most likely Fireblade, and that he is not the "Farseer" in this instance.

I looked for Cloud as well, and did not recognize her anywhere.  She would be the smallest Loroi, non?

But I do not see Tempo, either, and Alex's former crewmates were somewhat visible, so ... ?

If the perspective of the vision is from Cloud, somewhere on the Umiak vessel, then Tempo should show up; and if it is Tempo providing the vision-feed, then Cloud may have delivered shoes for the last time...

:(
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Arent

Post by Arent »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:01 pm
But I do not see Tempo, either, and Alex's former crewmates were somewhat visible, so ... ?
So dead humans/inanimate matter are visible but living humans not :shock: That doesn't seem like a block but rather an active concealment.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

No, only living beings are visible, and only above a certain threshold of sentience, small things are too weak to be sensed. Humans have some sort of cloak, they either conceal their presence or it operates on a different frequency. Another theory is that there's some sort of Soia fail-safe at work here, on one or even both sides.

Alex sees the containers because the Shells or maybe Fireblade are thinking about them at the moment. Otherwise, he would see the Loroi without weapons or even naked (but it's PG-13 :oops: ) or perhaps as some wisps or vague shapes, but then we wouldn't be able to understand what's going on and who's who.

DCR

Post by DCR »

Arent wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:14 pm
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:01 pm
So dead humans/inanimate matter are visible but living humans not :shock: That doesn't seem like a block but rather an active concealment.
That was very much the concern when the nakey olive/pink alium was strapped to the table and Fireblade + 2 tried to brute force the castle gates. Page 23, 27, etc.

MBehave

Post by MBehave »

What if Alex is not piggybacking, rather Sensing the "radar" returns of the telepathic energy the others are putting out.

Being a passive sensor would let him remain undetectable to the Loroi.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

asaenvolk wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:57 pm
One has to wonder if Alex is developing far-sensing or if he is developing the ability to piggy back... ether way. Then there also seams to be an attempt to possibly erase the fact he and the rest of his ship ever existed.
Humanity's psychic ability was likely neutered, or twisted in on itself to act like some faraday cage from all other psychic signals going in and out, after it was studied, and replicated for the Loroi IMO. So I'm guessing piggy backing. Also it means in the narrative, humans would have to partner with Loroi to get any juice for their psychic ability, and I like that possibility for the story. It presents a crossroads for the Loroi to be a bit more humble and empathetic to another species, and humans aren't all "FUCK YEAH HUMANITY!".

DCR

Post by DCR »

MBehave wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:20 pm
What if Alex is not piggybacking, rather Sensing the "radar" returns of the telepathic energy the others are putting out.

And all the pings off his hull skull are causing him to pass out again.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Zorg56 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:45 pm
Also this page makes me think that loroi might have killed Kirkland since she was near alex and could possibly survived blast.
I can't find the cover of Chapter 3 posted anywhere.
Don't delay, join today!

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

Hālian wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:38 am
Poster was referring to Chapter 1, Arioch hasn't finished Chapter 3 cover yet.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

spacewhale wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:23 am
Hālian wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:38 am
Poster was referring to Chapter 1, Arioch hasn't finished Chapter 3 cover yet.
OK
Don't delay, join today!

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Zorg56 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:45 pm
It was Talon that stated they (she and Spiral) had to cut him out of his suit when they recovered him. Remember, he was already suffocating at that moment, so I doubt the Loroi waited until they had him in Tempest' sickbay.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Voitan wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:40 pm
Humanity's psychic ability was likely neutered, or twisted in on itself to act like some faraday cage from all other psychic signals going in and out, after it was studied, and replicated for the Loroi IMO.
What if that Soia psi-block was installed not to merely neuter human abilities, but to prevent them from rampaging? Maybe "our" telepathy is highly unstable and now that the containment has been breached, something shall awaken as Alex falls asleep.
However, with training, he may learn to control his abilities.
MBehave wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:20 pm

While nobody knows how telepathy works in detail, it's surmised that detection operates by picking up telepathic life-signs that intelligent beings transmit. Thus, it's more likely that Alex is merely tapping into Loroi telepathy "network", while remaining undetected. A feat any Mizol would murder for.

Arent

Post by Arent »

Cthulhu wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:51 am
Voitan wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:40 pm
Humanity's psychic ability was likely neutered, or twisted in on itself to act like some faraday cage from all other psychic signals going in and out, after it was studied, and replicated for the Loroi IMO.
What if that Soia psi-block was installed not to merely neuter human abilities, but to prevent them from rampaging? Maybe "our" telepathy is highly unstable and now that the containment has been breached, something shall awaken as Alex falls asleep.
However, with training, he may learn to control his abilities.
Do we know why the Soia seeded life in the first place? Cheap labor is obviously not necessary if you have robots & automation. Creating a telepathic race would be downright dangerous to one's own hegemony.

Wiping out or neutralizing potential threats early on would make much more sense.

Another potential line of thought would be that Humans or Loroi can act as biological amplifiers to each other. Similar to the amplifier Fireblade has. Maybe the presence of the Loroi powers latent abilities some Humans have but are usually dormant.

Or maybe, Alex/Humans do not so much 'block' the telepathy of Loroi, but rather absorb them :shock:

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arent wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:00 am
Do we know why the Soia seeded life in the first place?
The Soia merely upgraded existing lifeforms and adapted them to a common biochemistry standard. They did not seed life itself, merely settled some planets with their creations.
Arent wrote:
Do we know why the Soia seeded life in the first place? Cheap labor is obviously not necessary if you have robots & automation. Creating a telepathic race would be downright dangerous to one's own hegemony.
Perhaps they regarded those new races as seeds for the development of higher intelligence. In a millennia or three, some of those could evolve enough to join up with the Soia.
Arent wrote:
Wiping out or neutralizing potential threats early on would make much more sense.
Maybe that's why human telepathy was blocked...
Arent wrote:
Another potential line of thought would be that Humans or Loroi can act as biological amplifiers to each other. Similar to the amplifier Fireblade has. Maybe the presence of the Loroi powers latent abilities some Humans have but are usually dormant.
Good idea, this would upgrade Alex from "warm hug pillow" of page 183 to "amplifier".
Arent wrote:
Or maybe, Alex/Humans do not so much 'block' the telepathy of Loroi, but rather absorb them :shock:
No, the Loroi can communicate just fine, and whatever tricks the Shells were doing predated the arrival of the Bellarmine. Or do you mean absorb the Loroi? :o Remember, this comic is PG-13, no eating or "eating" allowed!

Anyway, I looked at the new chapter again and realized that Beryl is the lone Loroi on the right side of the door and that Alex is still invisible. This means that he is indeed hijacking Loroi telepathy, most probably Fireblade's, while remaining undetectable.

Also, why is Beryl pointing her space-blaster at Alex? Does she see him as being more dangerous than he looks? Shooting him will certainly ruin their little illusion scheme, and he is not suicidal.
People discussing the Russian translation of the comic came up with the idea that the Loroi may perceive him as some kind of monster. But every legend has its grain of truth, perhaps there is something referencing pink vampires or demons in Loroi mythology? This may be the reason why Stillstorm wanted him and his "caretakers" off her ship. It also might explain the stares he got on page 55, except for the orange-haired girl who never cared for superstition. The blue-haired one is certainly spooked, and the purple is highly suspicious of this childish "Halloween joke".

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Cthulhu wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:42 pm
Also, why is Beryl pointing her space-blaster at Alex? Does she see him as being more dangerous than he looks? Shooting him will certainly ruin their little illusion scheme, and he is not suicidal.
He is not, but if the Umiak win this fight, he is an asset which should not fall into Umiak hands, and thus needs to be "destroyed" before the Umiak lay their claws on him.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195