[RP] Operation: Deep Strike (OOC)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

sunphoenix

Re: [RP] Operation: Deep Strike (OOC)

Post by sunphoenix »

LOL..I'm in... this game was my first choice! :)

I wanna play Kam!
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Martenzo

Post by Martenzo »

I'm ready to go and willing to play with or without strict rolls, too. Actually, a lack of strict rolls would even be preferable.

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

I thought I'd make a character for this RP too...it took a little while longer than I thought it would.

Basic Bio:
SpoilerShow
Name: Donna Ptak
Race: Human
D.O.B: 13/4/2128

Appearance: HT 165cm (5'5"), WT 62kg (135lbs). Black hair (kept short so it doesn't interfere with suit or float about in null-gee),Brown eyes. Of mixed Indian and Caucasian heritage. Light on her feet Donna has a quiet natural beauty, she doesn't usually wear much make-up but can turn heads when she wants to.

Personality: Outwardly calm and self-assured, she has a tendency to overthink things. Willing to take advice and suggestions as well as give them, Donna never-the-less expects her orders, once given, to be performed without dissention.

Abilities: An expert at marksmanship and hand-to-hand combat, Donna has adapted to her lack of size and mass in close quarters by favoring a style that re-directs her opponents attacks, using a gun or knife to finish an opponent once an opening presents itself. A skilled leader and expert tactician Donna has experience operating communications and sensor equipment; she also has had some training in piloting and gunnery. Renowned for her skills with computers, Donna is skilled at ferreting out information, and is quite capable of aquiring data others might prefer to remain hidden.
Basic Attributes:
SpoilerShow
Fitness: 3
Precision: 4
Reflexes: 2

Knowledge: 3
Creativity: 3
Awareness: 3

Movement [Fitness + Athletics] : 6 {Normal 95m/min, Sprint 450m/min}
Wound Capacity [Fitness x2/x1] : 6 {Light}/ 3 {Moderate}/ 1 {Serious} / Incapacitated
Stress Capacity [Awareness x2/x1] : 6 {Light}/ 3 {Moderate}/ 1 {Serious} / Snapped
Basic Skills:
SpoilerShow
Leadership - awareness - 4 (7)
Tactics - creativity - 3 (6)
Piloting - reflexes - 1 (3)
Gunnery - reflexes - 1 (3)
Sensor Operation - awareness - 2 (5)
Comm Operation - awareness - 2 (5)
Firearms - precision - 2 (6)
Martial Arts - fitness - 3 (6)
Freefall - reflexes/fitness - 3 (5/6)
Athletics - reflexes/fitness - 3 (5/6)
Infiltration - precision - 3 (7)
Empathy - awareness - 3 (6)
Deception - creativity - 2 (5)
Persuasion - creativity - 2 (5)
Formal Education:
SpoilerShow
Humanities/Loroi~ities:

Language - English and Loroi Trade: 4 (Native English, lots of effort into Loroi Trade)
Literature/Arts/Cooking: 2 (Human history, many Fiction genres, as many Loroi texts as she can get her hands on) (I'm not sure how much cultural exchange is going on)

Social Sciences:

Archaeology/Anthropology: 2
Psychology/Sociology: 2

Natural Sciences:

Geology: 2
Biology/Medicine: 2
Chemistry/Chemical-Materials Engineering: 2

Formal Sciences:

Computer Science/Software Engineering: 4
Mathematics/Statistics/Logistics: 3

Engineering:

Electrical Engineering: 3
Computer Engineering: 5
Background:
SpoilerShow
Fault: Overthinks things too much, although her training helps prevent her from freezing up in critical situations it can't stop her from blaming herself is something goes wrong.

Life Changing Events (3):

{Adolescence (early)} Decides to 'rebel' against authority and turns her already formidable computer skills towards hacking.

{Adolescence (mid)} Ben Donovan, a close friend with the same 'hobby' as Donna, is caught. Donna discovers just what the consequences are if she were to share the same fate: Decides that being a rebel is kind of passe...anyway, Space is where the real action is.

{Adult} Instrumental in jury-rigging computer system during a training voyage when a power-surge damages multiple systems. Frast-tracked by TCA for command training.

Relationships Goals & Secrets:

{Family} Samantha Ptak (mother); renowned archaeologist and anthropologist.

{Association} Benjamin 'Ben' Donovan; Donna used her contacts to get him a job in a civilian corporation despite his record. Her reputation could be severly damaged if he falls back into old habits.

{Goal 1} To make a difference in the world around her, to earn immortality and to make the universe a safer place for Humanity.

{Goal 2} To advance human technoloical understanding by whatever means necessary, preferably nicely, but the stakes are high and she's willing to go that extra distance.

{Secret} Her hacker past. She might have given up that game but she still has masses of data she stripped from many government and other computer systems. She keeps much of this data stored in her personal storage stacks, as well as back-ups at home. This data is heavily encrypted, and has been further encrypted by Donna; trying to crack the original encryption is a past-time for Donna, but she doesn't yet know how much longer it will take.
Gear:
SpoilerShow
Combat Gear:

Work Suit
*Knife
2x Special edition 11.5mm Pistols. Each one has Laser Sight and Flashlight attachments, caseless ammunition with its own oxidising agent (meaning it can fire in no atmosphere or one with little free-oxygen). 1 pistol (thigh holster) is armed with anti-personnel 'frangible' rounds (2x spare clips), the other (small-of-back holster) is armed with tungsten jacketed depleated uranium sabot rounds (plus 2x spare clips). :shock: I have no idea if I can get away with this ;)

Equipment:

*Commlink / Emergency Distress Beacon
*Personal Pad: Keep your favorite music or important mission stuff handy.
*Flashlight
*Pocket Sensor: complete with geiger counter, chemical analyzer, video camera with microscopic attachment.
*Engineering Tool Kit: Electronics.
*First Aid Kit: Enough to treat some minor wounds or stabilise someone with a serious wound until someone with a Medkit can get to them.
Medkit
Spray bandages
Tranquilizer: Human
Flying Saucer Bot: A small disk shaped camera drone that can perform some task remotely. (I'm assuming this needs an atmosphere of some sort to work)
Vision Enhancement Goggles: Low light and infrared vision.

Personal Gear:

Multiple Personal Pad memory devices: Contain many books in electronic format (History, Fiction, any Loroi texts she's got her hands on, Scientific and other Technical Journals (See Formal Education), music, games (Chess, Go, etc), photo collection (some of which she's loaded onto one of those slide-show picture frames).

High-end Work Pad: more powerful than a standard Pad, Donna can use it for her coding etc, without using the DeSoto's computer resources.

High-density data storage device: a relic of Donna's past, will automatically zero-out if put in any device other than Donna's Work Pad.

Spare uniforms

Spare ammo: Boxed, stored in DeSoto's Armory, 50/50 Frangible/Sabot. (I don't know how many rounds are usually in a box of ammo, but I assume its enough to re-fill her clips a few times over.)

_______
Anything marked with a * is worn at all times. Anything else she'll have to get from her quarters, assuming there's time ;)
Not sure if the Pistol is worn as part of the normal uniform or not...atm I'm assuming not.

Some points about the special ammo: (feel free to nix any of this icekatze)

Frangible rounds do a lot of damage, however they have very little penetrating power, even a Work Suit will stop them completely, except maybe where it thins to allow flexibility (ie. Knee, Elbow, Armpit and to a lesser degree the Neck and Faceplate.)

The sabot rounds are another matter, capable of penetrating many types of armor, however they are only effective at relatively short range. Careful targeting and hazardous proximity will be necessary against particularly heavily armored targets.
Last edited by TheUnforsaken on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

LOL... this is a GREAT Character TheUnforsaken! :)

Can't wait to start playing! :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Thanks Sunphoenix 8-)

Realised I need to select a colour for speech...

How about this? I don't think its close to any others already selected. It's #800000 btw, if anyone's interested.

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

TheUnforsaken wrote:Thanks Sunphoenix 8-)

How about this? I don't think its close to any others already selected. It's #800000 btw, if anyone's interested.
Westley "cowboy" Earl. Texan Shuttle pilot, mechanic and distiller.

"when your stuck in a sand storm so strong it could sandblast your skin off your bone you need the Cowboy!"

Seem rather close as a color

I would like to know why the weapon are only: pistol then it automatically jump to the Anti-armor weapon? isnt there sub-machingun or compact rifle (was thinking about P-90

If you want i have a PDF of Ultra-modern weapon based on gurp weaponry (i think) with list lots of weapon, from shotgun to Gatling, with their damage and special feature

I updated my character with more than enough background :) I think this character will raise the ambiance on board :)

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Karst45 wrote:
TheUnforsaken wrote:Thanks Sunphoenix 8-)

Westley "cowboy" Earl. Texan Shuttle pilot, mechanic and distiller.

"when your stuck in a sand storm so strong it could sandblast your skin off your bone you need the Cowboy!"

Seem rather close as a color

I would like to know why the weapon are only: pistol then it automatically jump to the Anti-armor weapon? isnt there sub-machingun or compact rifle (was thinking about P-90

If you want i have a PDF of Ultra-modern weapon based on gurp weaponry (i think) with list lots of weapon, from shotgun to Gatling, with their damage and special feature

I updated my character with more than enough background :) I think this character will raise the ambiance on board :)
I think weapons are pretty much our choice...at a glance both sunphoenix and Beliskner have non-standard ranged weapons (auto-pistols and an Assault Rifle, respectively) and my character's pistols are hardly 'standard' either. In your case Karst, I'd say that a sub machine gun would have the same rating as the pistol (they usually use pistol ammo) but with a much faster rate of fire and larger clips, if at the cost of accuracy. Though that's up to icekatze.

Also: Does anyone object to this colour?

Kamielle Lynn
Donna Ptak

Or is this one better?

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I had hoped to get the first in character post ready by tonight, but some stuff came up and I lost some time, with any luck I can recover that lost time tomorrow. I apologize that this has taken so long, but I just wanted everyone to know that I am still working on it. I'm currently fleshing out the locale and some NPC characters.

There is a very good reason why there are only pistols and anti-tank weapons. You are on a space ship, boarding operations are very rare and you are not a troop transport. Pistols are half tradition, half paranoia that the Loroi might decide to turn on them. A mutiny is certainly not expected, but there are non-lethal devices for dealing with people who go nuts. Assault weapons are frowned upon. They're overkill for use against other members of your own species in the close quarters confines of a pressure sealed space ship and they're next to useless against the Umiak Hardtroops.
Be careful what you shoot at, most things in here don't react too well to bullets.
That being said, each character is welcome to bring their own personal effects, some of which may be weaponry. But realize that it is a personal effect, and unless there is an emergency (now just how likely do you think that is going to be? ha ha ha... :lol: ) those are things to leave un-loaded and in your room.

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Edited Donna's profile a little. Just some tweaks to her Gear + a few new questions/notes at the bottom of the post.

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

Martenzo

Post by Martenzo »

Added Jacobson's gear and attribute bonuses to his skills. I noticed that creativity and awareness are disproportionately useful. Then again, it might just be my skill choice.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

icekatze wrote:Assault weapons are frowned upon. They're overkill for use against other members of your own species in the close quarters confines of a pressure sealed space ship and they're next to useless against the Umiak Hardtroops.
Well as a precaution i think having a better gun than a pistol in a shuttle that can land on a hostile environment is a wise thing. unless shuttle wont be used to ground exploration. there could be another indigenous species that isnt umiak. That or hostile fauna/animal on an alien planet.
icekatze wrote: That being said, each character is welcome to bring their own personal [...] weaponry. But [...] those are things to leave un-loaded and in your room.
A cowboys never leave his gun :P but still it unloaded as i suppose bullet from that age must be quite rare and that pistol must be quite useless.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Likely, I expect if accidental weapons discharge is an issue... Kam {unless specifically ordered not to do so} would carry his guns everywhere - except he would have them unloaded; clips stowed in his belt compartments with his spares, and no chambered rounds.

Though... ask anyone who owns a firearm - only poorly maintained.. and I mean REALLY dog-beaten abused firearms with all the modern safeties and what not do NOT 'accidentally' discharge; if you are NOT being negligently idiotic...
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I ran into a bit of a snag while plotting things out, maybe one of you can help me with this. According to insider, human ships have an acceleration of about 4-6Gs, but it also says that traversing a star system takes several days to a week. Unless my math is way off, this doesn't add up. At 6.5Gs, it would still take a great deal of time to traverse even a single AU. Does anyone know of an online calculator that can determine how much distance you will have travelled with a given acceleration?

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Well this is an issue for Arioch...something everyone has been I assume avoiding... What is the nature of the Outsider stardrive? The convention drives measured in G's are NOT stardrives they are normal hydrogen plasma reaction combustion of some sort. But that is not nearly enough for the trillions of miles of space between star systems! It seems to me it some sort of a subspace hyper-drive or shunt system at gravitic superstrand points in star systems. But I'm not sure I do not see any old discussion as yet of how the Outsider Stardrive works.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I am not talking about traveling between stars, I'm talking about traveling around inside of a star system. From what I gather, FTL travel is pretty much instant. However, you need to traverse each system you jump to in normal space before you can move to the next.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Keep in mind... do not think of 6G's as a velocity... it is an acceleration. 4 days at 6G's of acceleration is pretty darn fast!

The space probes we launch from earth are not at a constant acceleration. They are accelerated to a velocity and just keep on going at that velocity...usually using attitude verniers to adjust their course and direction and the planets they are aimed at to slow their velocity with their gravity wells when needed.

To break speed one would literally have to turn the ship around and burn thrusters in the opposite direction for a similar amount of time they spent accelerating to come to a zero velocity relative to their starting velocity.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Ok, I did some (potentially very bad) maths about this...

1 day's accel at 6.5G (ie. 63.7m/s per second for 86,399.999999931 seconds...I used 86,400 for simplicity's sake ;) )

Will get you up to roughly 0.01835% of light speed. Or 5,503,679.99 m/s.

During the day of acceleration you will have travelled 1.589 AU (237,758,975 km)

An AU is 149,597,870.7km

If you stopped accelerating after that day you would travel one AU roughly every 7 1/2 hours (7.55hrs to be more exact)

-------

I used this site: http://www.ajdesigner.com/constantaccel ... locity.php for some of the calculations...

This is the most maths I've used since I finished school...my head hurts

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Ok, I think I see where I messed up, stupid conversion errors. This makes more sense.

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

np, glad to help where I can :)

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Here's some of the hard details about the system you all will have just jumped into at the start of the game:
((Not to Scale))
Technical Designation: TLRSS-J15426.U00342
K6V Orange Main Sequence
Mass: .65 Sol
Luminosity: .36 Sol

Initial Telescope Survey Returns:

Rock Planet
Orbital Distance: .27 AU
IR Readings indicate slow rotation or tide lock.
Thin Atmosphere

Binary Planet
Orbital Distance: .45 AU
B1 Cold Temperatures/Frozen Water Likely/Moderate Atmosphere
B2 Rock/IR Readings anomalous
Notice: Significant deviation from ecliptic.

Asteroid Belt
Composition: High probability of nickel/iron and ice mix.
Mean Distance: .56 AU

Gas Giant
Orbital Distance: .89 AU
11 Satellites over 1000 km radius

Gas Giant
Orbital Distance: 2.91 AU
10 Satellites over 1000 km radius