Jumplight Odyssey

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

elorran

Jumplight Odyssey

Post by elorran »

So this popped across me feed a short while ago... Jumplight Odyssey.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1893 ... t_Odyssey/

It looks very much in the style of Evil Genius crossed Starblazers/Space Battleship Yamato. I've not played the more recent Evil Genius 2, but lost many hours with the first one. Which might just happen again :D

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Jumplight Odyssey

Post by Arioch »

I played the demo. The Yamato theme is cute, but a base-builder game doesn't really thematically fit a warship that's already in service. Why does this active-duty ship have all this empty space and yet lack these basic facilities? Gameplay-wise it seems to be trying to be too many different things at once (Dungeon Keeper-style base builder, Yamato-style combat, Star Trek-style exploration), and it has the basic problem of all the Dungeon Keeper style games, which is that you have a frustrating lack of direct control over your units. This is okay when you're building, but it becomes a nightmare when combat ensues.

Dahak

Re: Jumplight Odyssey

Post by Dahak »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:14 pm
Why does this active-duty ship have all this empty space and yet lack these basic facilities?
I think that may be a simplification for the quick start/tutorial, the other start (Narrative?) has a lot of rubble of the various systems that were in most of those rooms before the ship got shot up in the battle that ended when your homeworld got glazed.