Loroi Trade translation request general

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Loroi Trade translation request general

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:01 pm
train
bike (pedal or fuel propelled)
taxi
automobile
hover car (if the Loroi developed it)
Any personal or utility vehicle with the ability to fly is referred to as a toinzel baitar (“powered vehicle”) or just baitar.
A car or truck which specifically can't fly is called a mita ("cart").
Any public personnel transportation such as a bus, streetcar, monorail, light rail, etc.) is classified as a pamit ("carriage").
A cargo train is called a bennit mizito (“rail carrier”). Rail vehicles in general are referred to as bennit baitar, bennit pamit, etc.
A taxi is referred to as "hired" (segolidas) along with whatever vehicle type (segolidas baitar, etc.).
Bicycles are not commonly used by Loroi, but they would be described as zilo nestan baitar (“two-wheeled vehicle”).

Most Loroi do not own personal vehicles, except in rural areas where there is little or no public transportation and/or such vehicles are needed for utility and transport (such as on a farm).

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Eternal endurance

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:42 am
Eternal endurance
togessel tegi

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Arioch wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:29 am
…or pado bazero! "go outside!"
What about “touch grass!”? :mrgreen:

Unrelatedly, what about “powered/motorized wheelchair”, since I'm on the quest to squeeze one out of Medicaid? :P
Arioch wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:04 pm
Cthulhu wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:31 pm
5. Why would the Soia create the sidebil, a rhino-sized beast of burden and where do they live?
They didn't. That's a deprecated entry that'll be removed the next time the lexicon is updated.
Alas, it's still there. ;)

e: Unrelated to all of the above, I'm compiling a wordlist for Loroi Trade Scrabble because boredom does be like that, and am not sure whether verb conjugations involving an auxiliary (such as an anneri “is being carried” or sal seredas “didn't kill”) should be treated as two words or one for that purpose. How would you rule?
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Hālian wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:44 am

What about “touch grass!”? :mrgreen:
Common grass-like organisms would be liio and misesa, though they are not cultivated in lawns like Earth grass.
"To touch" is dollida. Though saying "Misesa dollidaro!" would probably result in a quizzical look from the listener.
Hālian wrote:
Unrelatedly, what about “powered/motorized wheelchair”, since I'm on the quest to squeeze one out of Medicaid? :P
toinzel beia "powered chair"
mapad beia "moving chair"
Hālian wrote:
e: Unrelated to all of the above, I'm compiling a wordlist for Loroi Trade Scrabble because boredom does be like that, and am not sure whether verb conjugations involving an auxiliary (such as an anneri “is being carried” or sal seredas “didn't kill”) should be treated as two words or one for that purpose. How would you rule?
I'm not familiar with the rules of Scrabble, but it would be effectively the same as English "is carried" or "not dead." I'm guessing that phrases like that are not allowed.

Moon Moth

Post by Moon Moth »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:31 pm
Though saying "Misesa dollidaro!" would probably result in a quizzical look from the listener.
"Touch wheat!" might be even more provocative than "touch grass!", in illustrating how far most of us are from the source of our food.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:31 pm
Hālian wrote:
I'm not familiar with the rules of Scrabble, but it would be effectively the same as English "is carried" or "not dead." I'm guessing that phrases like that are not allowed.
Sounds good to me! (And yeah, they're not, as they're considered two separate words; similarly, proper nouns are invalid, which would exclude e.g. TORRAI or DEINAR, but not LOROI, because HUMAN is a common noun.)
Don't delay, join today!

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

The Loroi equivalent of "Fine, whatever." or "Uh... okay then."

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:30 am
The Loroi equivalent of "Fine, whatever." or "Uh... okay then."
annen - affirmative
nestas - accepted

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

I suspect that Snoofman actually wanted some version of *reluctant* agreement.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Demarquis wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:17 am
That's what I assumed, but Loroi Trade doesn't have forms built into it for sarcasm and passive-aggressive attitude. Trade is a language that's used in a formal and technical capacity by the Loroi; it's very literal. If a Loroi decided to be sarcastic, then she would mostly do with with tone of voice and body language. Usually, a nuanced conversation would probably be had telepathically, not verbally.

However, Loroi are usually very literal and direct, and usually not diplomatic or subtle or noncommittal. If a Loroi disagrees with someone, she is expected to be brave enough to say so. So, if what a Loroi really means is, "I think that's a bad idea, but I suppose we have to do it anyway," then that's probably exactly what she'll say.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:09 am
Demarquis wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:17 am
That's what I assumed, but Loroi Trade doesn't have forms built into it for sarcasm and passive-aggressive attitude. Trade is a language that's used in a formal and technical capacity by the Loroi; it's very literal. If a Loroi decided to be sarcastic, then she would mostly do with with tone of voice and body language. Usually, a nuanced conversation would probably be had telepathically, not verbally.

However, Loroi are usually very literal and direct, and usually not diplomatic or subtle or noncommittal. If a Loroi disagrees with someone, she is expected to be brave enough to say so. So, if what a Loroi really means is, "I think that's a bad idea, but I suppose we have to do it anyway," then that's probably exactly what she'll say.
Like Talon begrudgingly accepting their cozy sleeping accommodations on page 149. NOT!

On that thought, how would Talon’s sarcastic remark on page 149 look in Trade?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:21 am
Like Talon begrudgingly accepting their cozy sleeping accommodations on page 149. NOT!

Trade handles negatives similar to English, with a keyword ("sal") before the negated word, so it would look very much like the English translation in the comic (and would be similarly not grammatically correct).

Sopis sal nobol pennio
This not comfortable will be.

Sopis nobol pennio... sal
This comfortable will be... not.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:19 am
Snoofman wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:21 am

Trade handles negatives similar to English, with a keyword ("sal") before the negated word, so it would look very much like the English translation in the comic (and would be similarly not grammatically correct).

Sopis sal nobol pennio
This not comfortable will be.

Sopis nobol pennio... sal
This comfortable will be... not.
Suspected so. Thanks. :mrgreen:

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Square, circle, triangle, hexagon
Tetrahedron, cube, octahedron, dodecahedron, icosahedron, cone
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

square - moder
circle - tese
triangle - rabes
cube - dalo
cone - semi

solid, polyhedron - testa
shape, polygon - sipis

You can specify a polygon or polyhedron with x faces with 'x sipis' or 'x testa' (ex. azi sipis, 'hexagon').

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Father me many.

Or:

Give me many children.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:27 pm
Father me many.

Or:

Give me many children.
Biret ninat me tezair monnen mimetsaro.

mimetsa - to give (-aro - imperative)
ninat - child
biret - many
tezair - me, myself
monnen - to
me - (subject marker)

Note: this would be a strange thing for a Loroi female to say, as they are not supposed to have more than one mating encounter with the same male.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Pub or bar

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:43 am
Pub or bar
A tavern or restaurant is a lozanir. Such places generally do not serve intoxicating substances, as taking drugs in public is not considered socially acceptable. Those places that do provide drugs would be more illicit like opium dens.