This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
Loroi sexuality 
Author Message

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:11 am
Posts: 251
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
Suederwind wrote:
sunphoenix wrote:
...I think we've gotten off subject here.


Indeed! :oops:

You know... i'd have thought that if there was any thread that would remain on topic it would be a thread on blue vaginas and how to use them. But humans work in mysterious ways.

_________________
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.


Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:38 pm
Profile
Moderator

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:02 am
Posts: 980
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
Jericho wrote:
You're entire reasoning is based on three falsehoods
First: you assume that we'll tell them what we're up to.
Second: You assume we can't keep it hidden.
Thirldy: You assume that we'll commit our full force too the war effort.


I assume no such thing. I assume that if we tried to do what you're saying we would try to hide it, but the Loroi won't be leaving us alone, they're going to have people poring over everything we do to see if there's more ways we can help the war effort. Hiding the enormous expenditure of resources on building even a moderate fleet will be impossible without a concerted effort and the more people involved the more points of failure there are. You're talking about keeping the Manhattan Project a secret from our allies when everyone involved knows exactly what's going on and what's going on has a high chance of being directly in conflict with our best interests. It's extremely likely to backfire.

If we don't commit ourselves to the war effort the Loroi will make us. The only reason they aren't pushing the Historians is because the Historians have the power to push back, we don't, at all. Slacking will get us nothing but more strict oversight and while some people would be perfectly fine with being whipped by a Loroi slavemaster it's not going to be conducive to your goals.

And of course that's not even touching on the most important part, if we build a fleet of the ships we have the Loroi will laugh as they use us for target practice. A single Loroi destroyer could wipe the floor with the entire TCA as it stands. With 10 times as many ships we might annoy a cruiser, with 100 times as many they might need to send a small detachment to put us down. We won't be able to build anything worthwhile until they've taught us a LOT of technology by which point we'll already be learning to live with the situation.

Trantor wrote:
But here in the Outsiderverse we will presumably have a huge pile of dead bugs, a financially ruined Loroi society (Britain after WW2 anyone?), a scarred Humanity, and some pretty unscarred Historians. And some other supporting actors on the scene (Barsam etc).


The Loroi will be more likely to be the Soviets post war than Britain. Massive military, militaristic culture, economy battered but functioning and riding high on the morale boost of victory. The only reason they're in dire straits right now is because they're losing, if the tide turns, the morale comes back and the pressure eases, they'll probably be fine.

Quote:
fredgiblet wrote:
Do you have another option?

Historians?


What makes you think they will be better? What makes you think they will ally with us against he Loroi in the first place? What makes you think we will be allowed to have any significant communication with them?

Quote:
We have to be careful (a task for our top diplomats) and hope that the developement of the war will leave more room to manouver.


The treaties will need to be signed now, not in 5 years when we get to watch how things play out. If we hold back and spend too much time mucking around we'll end up being found by the Umiak and having the choice taken from us. Playing the sides against each other doesn't work when they're both willing and able to take you out.

Later in the war we might be able to show our value in a way that makes us able to get better terms from the Loroi, but the longer we're in their sphere of influence the less likely it will be that we'll have a reason to fight them, unless they're stupid and try to iron fist us. In 10 years we'll have near total economic interdependence to a degree that rebelling would be ruinous and we'll probably have more influence on the Loroi than any other client race.

Quote:
The Historians have more firepower and they play a vicious game.


I'll agree that the Historians are likely be a nasty bunch behind the GM screen, but I doubt they would be giving the Loroi support if they could handle themselves. There's obviously plenty of room for other things to happen, but betting your species on a total unknown that MIGHT have a slightly better result in the end is pretty dumb. It's like drawing to an inside straight in poker when your life is on the line and you can fold for a good result as well.


Quote:
Can you please explain?


The Historians have shown no sign of being interested outside their territory, even when they were attacked the retreated rather than defending. The Loroi are here, they are coming towards us whether we want them to or not, they have the territory between us and the Historians. They are running things, regardless of what weapons the Historians might be hiding behind their borders.


Quote:
Why so?


I'm assuming that no one involved is stupid. The Mizol will probably jump into our media culture to ingratiate the Loroi and our businesses will jump at the chance to export to the Loroi creating economic dependencies. We'll send people over there to aid them at whatever they ask for, they'll have bases built on our worlds that are still largely staffed by our people. Unless they go full-on xenophobe and do everything they can to prevent our integration there's going to be a lot of mixing and unless they're stupid I think we will end up without much to complain about.


Quote:
fredgiblet wrote:
Give us some assistance and a decade or two and we'll be the Outsider version of Japan.

A heartily "boo" from Germany!

:mrgreen:


...

Do you WANT to be known as a place that makes cool stuff and has EXTREMELY strange sexual media?


Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:58 pm
Profile
Moderator

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:02 am
Posts: 980
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
Jericho wrote:
You know... i'd have thought that if there was any thread that would remain on topic it would be a thread on blue vaginas and how to use them. But humans work in mysterious ways.


You're implying that political matters aren't directly related to how the blue vaginas would be used. I assure you that the politics of the situation are deeply important to that question.


Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:04 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:56 pm
Posts: 53
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
Trantor wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
An Alliance has not yet been formed.
If the Loroi "negotiation" fleet after much effort and time determine that
  1. humanity really is an Umiak plot
  2. or humanity is secretly dealing with the Umiak
  3. or humanity is not negotiating in good faith
  4. or that humanity just wouldn't work out with the Loroi union
then extermination would be an appropriate response.

If the Barsam and the Historians aren't included in the negotiation fleet then they would have no way to know better.

No, the Historians would prevent that. We will become too much of an asset to them.

How and Why?

If the Loroi do not allow the Historians access to Alex, don't tell them where humanity is when the Loroi find out, and don't invite them along when the "negotiation" fleet is sent out; how are the Historians supposed to prevent humanities extermination?

Why would they care?
It is not as if the Historians know anything about us (except our ships are crap by local standards) and it is not as if they stepped in before when the Loroi exterminated other species for just trying to sit the war out.

If the Loroi exterminate us then the status quo is maintained which - if the Historians are the shadowy manipulators some believe them to be - the Historians seem to be okay with in general. It is not as if they are going to great lengths to change things drastically.

_________________
Particle beam cannons are mass drivers :D
Fireblade's character sheet: '-1: Telepathically "talks" in sleep' 8-)


Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:15 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:11 am
Posts: 251
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
fredgiblet wrote:
I assume no such thing. I assume that if we tried to do what you're saying we would try to hide it, but the Loroi won't be leaving us alone, they're going to have people poring over everything we do to see if there's more ways we can help the war effort. Hiding the enormous expenditure of resources on building even a moderate fleet will be impossible without a concerted effort and the more people involved the more points of failure there are. You're talking about keeping the Manhattan Project a secret from our allies when everyone involved knows exactly what's going on and what's going on has a high chance of being directly in conflict with our best interests. It's extremely likely to backfire.

If we don't commit ourselves to the war effort the Loroi will make us. The only reason they aren't pushing the Historians is because the Historians have the power to push back, we don't, at all. Slacking will get us nothing but more strict oversight and while some people would be perfectly fine with being whipped by a Loroi slavemaster it's not going to be conducive to your goals.

And of course that's not even touching on the most important part, if we build a fleet of the ships we have the Loroi will laugh as they use us for target practice. A single Loroi destroyer could wipe the floor with the entire TCA as it stands. With 10 times as many ships we might annoy a cruiser, with 100 times as many they might need to send a small detachment to put us down. We won't be able to build anything worthwhile until they've taught us a LOT of technology by which point we'll already be learning to live with the situation.



Yes you are assuming that we can't keep it hidden based on the assumption that they are going to be everywhere and have access to everything and know everything we do. They aren't going to be able to keep up with everything. How do you propose they'll find out?

And lastly of course we're not going to build a fleet with the ships we have today. humanity is going to do whatever they can to put their technology on equal level with the aliens. Besides determined humans aren't going to get used to an overbearing superstate thinking it's superior to us. We'll just use whatever we learn from them against them like the germans did against the romans.

_________________
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.


Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:21 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:11 am
Posts: 251
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
fredgiblet wrote:
Jericho wrote:
You know... i'd have thought that if there was any thread that would remain on topic it would be a thread on blue vaginas and how to use them. But humans work in mysterious ways.


You're implying that political matters aren't directly related to how the blue vaginas would be used. I assure you that the politics of the situation are deeply important to that question.


Yes but i don't think thats why people thought this thread had gone of topic :D.

_________________
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.


Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:23 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:52 am
Posts: 780
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
fredgiblet wrote:
Trantor wrote:
But here in the Outsiderverse we will presumably have a huge pile of dead bugs, a financially ruined Loroi society (Britain after WW2 anyone?), a scarred Humanity, and some pretty unscarred Historians. And some other supporting actors on the scene (Barsam etc).

The Loroi will be more likely to be the Soviets post war than Britain.

And the Historians the US.
The Historians may be "members" of the alliance, but they´re not Loroi´s best friends.


fredgiblet wrote:
Massive military, militaristic culture, economy battered but functioning and riding high on the morale boost of victory. The only reason they're in dire straits right now is because they're losing, if the tide turns, the morale comes back and the pressure eases, they'll probably be fine.

They will be bled out and bankrupt. Pyrrhic victory, a classic.


fredgiblet wrote:
What makes you think they will be better?

They´re not better. They let the Loroi fight a proxy war.
After the Umiak are gone they need other proxies.


fredgiblet wrote:
What makes you think they will ally with us against he Loroi in the first place?

They will not "ally" with us...


fredgiblet wrote:
What makes you think we will be allowed to have any significant communication with them?

What? You think the Loroi are in any position to prevent the Historians from doing so?


fredgiblet wrote:
The treaties will need to be signed now, not in 5 years when we get to watch how things play out.

As i said, a top job for the top diplomats.


fredgiblet wrote:
If we hold back and spend too much time mucking around we'll end up being found by the Umiak and having the choice taken from us. Playing the sides against each other doesn't work when they're both willing and able to take you out.

See above.


fredgiblet wrote:
Quote:
The Historians have more firepower and they play a vicious game.

I'll agree that the Historians are likely be a nasty bunch behind the GM screen, but I doubt they would be giving the Loroi support if they could handle themselves.

Proxy...
Let others bleed for you.


fredgiblet wrote:
The Historians have shown no sign of being interested outside their territory

...and no interest in others coming to their territory. That´s why they need someone else as buffer/bleeder.


fredgiblet wrote:
even when they were attacked the retreated rather than defending.

Strategy?


fredgiblet wrote:
The Loroi are here, they are coming towards us whether we want them to or not, they have the territory between us and the Historians.

In 3D?


fredgiblet wrote:
...
Unless they go full-on xenophobe and do everything they can to prevent our integration there's going to be a lot of mixing...

Very probably, yes. But what exactly will prevent the Historians from "talking" to us?


fredgiblet wrote:
Do you WANT to be known as a place that makes cool stuff and has EXTREMELY strange sexual media?

Oh, this.
No, i was thinking in terms of tech. Tech´r´us, y´know... ;)

_________________
sapere aude.


Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:37 pm
Profile
Moderator

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:02 am
Posts: 980
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
Jericho wrote:
Yes you are assuming that we can't keep it hidden based on the assumption that they are going to be everywhere and have access to everything and know everything we do. They aren't going to be able to keep up with everything. How do you propose they'll find out?


How do you propose to keep it secret? You're talking about massive amounts of men and materiel, building a fleet in the main systems will be blatantly obvious, building it somewhere else will require enormous movements of equipment and materials. All of this requires people, lots and lots of people, people who can't ever talk about it despite it being obvious what's happening. People who have to believe that it's not only a good idea, but the best idea, despite the fact that if any word of it gets out the Loroi will come down on us like a ton of bricks. If we work with them they'll probably mostly leave us alone (since our long-term value is largely dependent on our society being left alone), if we work against them and fail they will kill us, if we work against them and get caught they may not kill us but they won't give us a chance to be a danger ever again.

Quote:
And lastly of course we're not going to build a fleet with the ships we have today. humanity is going to do whatever they can to put their technology on equal level with the aliens.


That's going to take a long time. Even with their aid it'll be years before we are equal, and even then we won't have industrial-scale construction options in place for the relevant equipment. You're talking about maintaining a "resistance" until long after the war is won (since if it's lost we're screwed anyway) and long after we'll begin integrating with them.

Quote:
Besides determined humans aren't going to get used to an overbearing superstate thinking it's superior to us. We'll just use whatever we learn from them against them like the germans did against the romans.


If the Loroi are stupid that will be a problem, if they aren't stupid they'll be hand-off and mostly let us run our own stuff. That's the only way they'll get the most value out of us. Our politicians may chafe on occasion, but the risk won't be worth the reward.


Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:39 pm
Profile
Moderator

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:02 am
Posts: 980
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
Trantor wrote:
And the Historians the US.


I see no indication that the Historians are going to come out of the war with enormous political influence, an over-sized, experienced military and half of the Loroi/Umiak engineers and scientists. It's certainly possible for there to be change in circumstance at some point, but I see the Historians as the Swiss, not the Antarans.

Quote:
They will be bled out and bankrupt. Pyrrhic victory, a classic.


You probably would have assumed the same about the Soviets in 1942 wouldn't you?

Quote:
They´re not better. They let the Loroi fight a proxy war.
After the Umiak are gone they need other proxies.


So then your goal for us is to be pawns until the Historians are done with and kill us off too? Sounds like a plan.

Quote:
As i said, a top job for the top diplomats.


You're putting an enormous amount of trust in our ability to stall and maneuver them into doing exactly what we want while they have very little reason to do so. You're also playing a game of brinksmanship where everyone else has all the cards. What is the benefit of this again?


Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:02 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:52 am
Posts: 780
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
fredgiblet wrote:
Trantor wrote:
And the Historians the US.

I see no indication that the Historians are going to come out of the war with enormous political influence, an over-sized, experienced military and half of the Loroi/Umiak engineers and scientists.

Don´t get lost in the details...


fredgiblet wrote:
Quote:
They will be bled out and bankrupt. Pyrrhic victory, a classic.

You probably would have assumed the same about the Soviets in 1942 wouldn't you?

No, but for the brits.


fredgiblet wrote:
Quote:
They´re not better. They let the Loroi fight a proxy war.
After the Umiak are gone they need other proxies.

So then your goal for us is to be pawns until the Historians are done with and kill us off too? Sounds like a plan.

C´mon fredge, you can do better.
We shouldn´t be so stoopid and start a war before we´re really ready (read: ahead in tech). ´39 was too early, ´42 with full momentum would have served better.


fredgiblet wrote:
Quote:
As i said, a top job for the top diplomats.

You're putting an enormous amount of trust in our ability to stall and maneuver

That´s the only thing we have.

Your scenario as subjugated toy- and freakshow for blueskinned space-b*tches isn´t really better.

_________________
sapere aude.


Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:14 pm
Profile
Moderator

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:02 am
Posts: 980
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
Trantor wrote:
C´mon fredge, you can do better.
We shouldn´t be so stoopid and start a war before we´re really ready (read: ahead in tech). ´39 was too early, ´42 with full momentum would have served better.


I'm not seeing it. You seem to be implying that we're going to ally with the Loroi, gain their protection from the Umiak who are on their way, but also have complete autonomy to out-tech the Loroi and build a fleet without any oversight. That's not going to happen, I don't care how much you talk about "top diplomats". Then we're going to set up a secret treaty with the Historians to betray the Loroi at the opportune moment which will require genocide since the Loroi are hard enough for the Umiak to handle and despite being outnumbered and out-bred by the Loroi who have decades of experience fighting space wars we'll wipe them out and be best buddies with the Historians who will accept US in the same position that they previously betrayed the Loroi in. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That's also assuming that we'll be teching up to that level on our own anytime soon, we won't. The Loroi will be required for us to get anywhere near that level within a reasonable timeframe which places their people deep in our science and engineering centers. The Historians would do as well, but if we reject aid from the Loroi then they'll be extremely suspicious of the tech gains we'll make even with the reputation we'll be getting.


Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:35 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:42 am
Posts: 155
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
Trantor wrote:
We shouldn´t be so stoopid and start a war before we´re really ready (read: ahead in tech). ´39 was too early, ´42 with full momentum would have served better.


20/20 hindsight says you're right. But then, the people at the time didn't have that.

While delaying the whole timeline of the war in Europe would have resulted in the Wehrmacht being better prepared, Germany's opponents would also be better prepared. One example being that the Red Army/Soviet military industrial complex woulr probably have finished (and possibly recovered from) the purges/reorganization that it was in the midst of in 1941.


Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:03 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:11 am
Posts: 251
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
fredgiblet wrote:
How do you propose to keep it secret? You're talking about massive amounts of men and materiel, building a fleet in the main systems will be blatantly obvious, building it somewhere else will require enormous movements of equipment and materials. All of this requires people, lots and lots of people, people who can't ever talk about it despite it being obvious what's happening. People who have to believe that it's not only a good idea, but the best idea, despite the fact that if any word of it gets out the Loroi will come down on us like a ton of bricks. If we work with them they'll probably mostly leave us alone (since our long-term value is largely dependent on our society being left alone), if we work against them and fail they will kill us, if we work against them and get caught they may not kill us but they won't give us a chance to be a danger ever again.


That's going to take a long time. Even with their aid it'll be years before we are equal, and even then we won't have industrial-scale construction options in place for the relevant equipment. You're talking about maintaining a "resistance" until long after the war is won (since if it's lost we're screwed anyway) and long after we'll begin integrating with them.


If the Loroi are stupid that will be a problem, if they aren't stupid they'll be hand-off and mostly let us run our own stuff. That's the only way they'll get the most value out of us. Our politicians may chafe on occasion, but the risk won't be worth the reward.


First: Keeping a secret is way easier than obtaining the truth. If you don't want them to find out then don't talk to them. without faster than light sensors keeping track on what happens in a system without fleet in every corner. I don't think they'll commit that large of a force to one species if they are smart by your standards. Unless they immediately suspect that we are planning something behind their back and are a threat worhty of considiration they'll be none the wiser. and don't bother with spies alien informants aren't that efficient.

Second: You must motivate to me how they'll find out. Since your entire argument is based on the assumption that they do but you never explain why. Please don't bother responding if you can't answer this one point.

Third: So what if it's going to take time. Time is on our side. You do not know how long this war will last. As long as the loroi are going strong we're winning because the longer the war takes the more time we have to strengthen ourselves. The only problem with moving materials and equipment is if the loroi know how much we can produce for them and they're suspecting we arent filling the bill. Again how would they know.

Fourth: Finding qualified, devoted personnel is not going to be difficult in a population 25 billion. If you wan't to move them without arousing suspicion then don't tell anyone or claim they're civillian contractors for a private company.

Fifth: I don't know if you are arguing for my position or against me. You say that if the loroi are smart they'll leave us to handle our own affairs. How does this not help my position? You've just presented the window of opportunity for exactly what i'm proposing.

_________________
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.


Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:24 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:52 am
Posts: 780
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
fredgiblet wrote:
I'm not seeing it. You seem to be implying that we're going to ally with the Loroi, gain their protection from the Umiak who are on their way, but also have complete autonomy to out-tech the Loroi and build a fleet without any oversight.

The out-tech part comes from the Historians.


fredgiblet wrote:
That's not going to happen, I don't care how much you talk about "top diplomats".

The more scope for developement we have from the beginning, the better it is for us. It is very important that we have access or the right/abilty to contact the other allies directly and not via the Loroi. That´s the core point that our diplomats have to secure. Everything else would be subjugation.
And i fail to see why that should be soo desirable.


fredgiblet wrote:
Then we're going to set up a secret treaty

Not necessarily secret. The Historians could do that in the very open, when the Loroi bleed out further.


fredgiblet wrote:
with the Historians to betray the Loroi at the opportune moment which will require genocide

In the very end, certainly. Read your Sun Tzu.
The Loroi are crazy witches. We spoiled their fairy tales just by our very existance. They will come for us sooner or later. I can´t believe that you fail to see the necessity to prepare for that war.


fredgiblet wrote:
since the Loroi are hard enough for the Umiak to handle and despite being outnumbered and out-bred by the Loroi who have decades of experience fighting space wars

Well, cavalry has had a history of several thousand years...
In a battle it´s all about firepower. If you outgun your opponent, you win.


fredgiblet wrote:
and be best buddies with the Historians who will accept US in the same position that they previously betrayed the Loroi in.

Not best buddies. But if someone doesn´t f*** with them, they will let them live.
That´s the advantage when you deal with beancounters.


fredgiblet wrote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

With pleasure. ;)


fredgiblet wrote:
That's also assuming that we'll be teching up to that level on our own anytime soon, we won't.

Exactly. The Historians will provide that.
And of course they won´t give us their latest tech, but just enough to be ahead of the elves.




JQBogus wrote:
While delaying the whole timeline of the war in Europe would have resulted in the Wehrmacht being better prepared, Germany's opponents would also be better prepared. One example being that the Red Army/Soviet military industrial complex woulr probably have finished (and possibly recovered from) the purges/reorganization that it was in the midst of in 1941.

No, Stalin didn´t see it coming in ´40, so IMHO he wouldn´t have seen it later, too.
There was a time from 40-41, when Stalin´s position was indeed not very stable/unquestioned due to his incompetence. He barely made it through that time, and thanks to his PR this is barely remebered today.

And overall, of course there had to be the game-changers at hand in huge numbers first, the "wunderwaffen" and - the bomb. At least a preview on the latter.

_________________
sapere aude.


Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:41 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:52 am
Posts: 780
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
Jericho wrote:
First: Keeping a secret is way easier than obtaining the truth. If you don't want them to find out then don't talk to them.

Hahaha. As if there´s nothing like espionage and traitors.


Jericho wrote:
Please don't bother responding if you can't answer this one point.

I see potential for improvement in tone.
And pls would you be so kind to answer my question from yesterday?


Jericho wrote:
The only problem with moving materials and equipment is if the loroi know how much we can produce for them and they're suspecting we arent filling the bill. Again how would they know.

See 1.


Jericho wrote:
Fourth: Finding qualified, devoted personnel is not going to be difficult in a population 25 billion.

Yeah, but only ONE traitor, and everything is toast.


Jericho wrote:
If you wan't to move them without arousing suspicion then don't tell anyone

See 1.

_________________
sapere aude.


Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:48 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:11 am
Posts: 251
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
Trantor wrote:
Jericho wrote:
First: Keeping a secret is way easier than obtaining the truth. If you don't want them to find out then don't talk to them.

Hahaha. As if there´s nothing like espionage and traitors.


As i said in the very same piece that you conviently ignored they aren't that effective. A spies efficiency is determined by their ability to blend in to the society. I would think there is nothing easier than preventing an alien spy access to information that you don't want them have.

Jericho wrote:
Please don't bother responding if you can't answer this one point.
I see potential for improvement in tone.
And pls would you be so kind to answer my question from yesterday?


Tone? You wish to lecture about tone when just the other day you flatly assumed alcoholic intake rather than serious response and doesn't have the simply courtesy of telling me why.
As Stillstorm would put it: My tolerance for hypocrsiy has limits.

And no there is nothing wrong with specifying information that you require. His entire argument builds on the assumption that we can't keep a secret, i wish to know why.


Jericho wrote:
The only problem with moving materials and equipment is if the loroi know how much we can produce for them and they're suspecting we arent filling the bill. Again how would they know.
See 1.


Yes indeed and this time, please read (This is a friendly request, not an insult).

Jericho wrote:
Fourth: Finding qualified, devoted personnel is not going to be difficult in a population 25 billion.
Yeah, but only ONE traitor, and everything is toast.


True but isn't that the case of every major operation regardless. There are of course operating procedures and protocols in place to make sure that one traitor can't do anything withput arousing suspicion among their peers.

Jericho wrote:
If you wan't to move them without arousing suspicion then don't tell anyone
See 1.


Indeed

_________________
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.


Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:37 am
Profile

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:42 am
Posts: 155
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
I wonder how good Loroi are at espionage when they can't use telepathy.


Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:57 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:11 am
Posts: 251
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
JQBogus wrote:
I wonder how good Loroi are at espionage when they can't use telepathy.


They're neither better or worse of than any other race. Espionage relies on ones ability to infiltrate an enemy society without detection. For aliens of different nations this is damn near impossible.
Telepathy is the only viable option and even that can mostly only be used in direct confrontation with an enemy (as far as i know) making espionage a rather difficult field of war in this story.

_________________
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.


Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:18 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:52 am
Posts: 780
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
Jericho wrote:
As i said in the very same piece that you conviently ignored they aren't that effective. A spies efficiency is determined by their ability to blend in to the society.

Yes. And they´re so different from us. Oh, wait...
And there will be traitors, be sure.


Jericho wrote:
Tone? You wish to lecture about tone

Yes, ´cause i´m an expert in that. Depending on the prefix, but nevertheless. :twisted:


Jericho wrote:
when just the other day you flatly assumed alcoholic intake rather than serious respons

Either you were drunk, which would be an excuse, or... well, go figure.


Jericho wrote:
and doesn't have the simply courtesy of telling me why.

Because there´s no sense in it. Either you get it, or you don´t. Which obviously is the case here.


Jericho wrote:
As Stillstorm would put it: My tolerance for hypocrsiy has limits.

I shivver in awe... :roll:

_________________
sapere aude.


Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:20 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:11 am
Posts: 251
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
Trantor wrote:
Yes. And they´re so different from us. Oh, wait...
And there will be traitors, be sure.


Yes they are quite different from us. Or do you propose otherwise?

And traitors... really? What would they offer us that would convince anyone that it's a good idea to jepordise their nations future, their career, their families safety etc etc.

_________________
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.


Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:25 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:11 am
Posts: 251
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
fredgiblet wrote:
...

Do you WANT to be known as a place that makes cool stuff and has EXTREMELY strange sexual media?


I think Germany is already pretty wll known for their tech and weird sex (Two girls one ahem)

On the other side German engineers invented a machine that electroshocks bed-wetters while they sleep. I haven't seen it in action but i've heard it works... so hats off for the german engineers you know what the hell your doing :D.

_________________
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.


Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:38 am
Profile

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:42 am
Posts: 155
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
Jericho wrote:
JQBogus wrote:
I wonder how good Loroi are at espionage when they can't use telepathy.


They're neither better or worse of than any other race. Espionage relies on ones ability to infiltrate an enemy society without detection. For aliens of different nations this is damn near impossible.
Telepathy is the only viable option and even that can mostly only be used in direct confrontation with an enemy (as far as i know) making espionage a rather difficult field of war in this story.



There is a lot more to espionage than just covert infiltration of enemy territory during war.

How, for example, do the Loroi keep an eye on their allies? They presumably have a diplomatic and economic presence in allied territory (other than the Historian's, anyway)

Can (non-Human) non-telepaths tell if they are being mind read? Can some rare and powerful Loroi read minds without physical contact? The description of Telepathy in the extras says that mind reading [/i]generally[/i] requires physical contact, so maybe it doesn't always.

If the Loroi have undetectable remote mind reading (however rare), how much incentive would they have to retain the spy craft they presumably developed for use on each other before unification? Just include one of the very rare remote mind readers as 'under-assistant for economic development' in the Loroi Embassy trade delegation.

Basically, all I am saying is that IF Loroi intelligence relies heavily on Telepathy powers, and everyone they've met so far is more or less telepathically vulnerable, then they may not have developed or retained non-telepathy related techniques for spying and intelligence gathering to the extent that Humans have.


Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:55 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:11 am
Posts: 251
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
JQBogus wrote:

There is a lot more to espionage than just covert infiltration of enemy territory during war.

How, for example, do the Loroi keep an eye on their allies? They presumably have a diplomatic and economic presence in allied territory (other than the Historian's, anyway)

Can (non-Human) non-telepaths tell if they are being mind read? Can some rare and powerful Loroi read minds without physical contact? The description of Telepathy in the extras says that mind reading [/i]generally[/i] requires physical contact, so maybe it doesn't always.

If the Loroi have undetectable remote mind reading (however rare), how much incentive would they have to retain the spy craft they presumably developed for use on each other before unification? Just include one of the very rare remote mind readers as 'under-assistant for economic development' in the Loroi Embassy trade delegation.

Basically, all I am saying is that IF Loroi intelligence relies heavily on Telepathy powers, and everyone they've met so far is more or less telepathically vulnerable, then they may not have developed or retained non-telepathy related techniques for spying and intelligence gathering to the extent that Humans have.


First: Yes they would most likely have an eye on their allies. But these eyes are limited to official channels by races who desires to hide things from the loroi and the contact is strictly regulated.

Second: Yes some Loroi telepaths have the ability to read minds from far distance without touch there are three examples of this. Ultrasensetive telepaths capable of intercepting transmissions that are not meant for them. Loroi telepaths can at distance read the minds (i think) of the Pipolsid which is why they have such a close relationship. Thirdly the golim who are their lapdogs essentially.

Third: Exactly what would this spy craft do?

Fourth: It's a good point what you're saying and the loroi's overreliance upon telepathy have been a major kick in the side for them, examples: The mannadi, The semoset offensive.
It's my opinion that when telepathy fails the loroi simple doesn't have anything else going for them. They're not a superpower without telepathy, just another species.

_________________
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.


Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:55 am
Profile

Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:17 am
Posts: 22
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
This is ignoring the fact that some Loroi have psychokinesis ( which does have some uses in espionage -floating portable computers out the door or window, grabbing trusted personnel from a distance, et cetera. And it can be used in interrogation as well- "Please stop spinning me around! I'll tell you what I want to know!"


Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:57 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:11 am
Posts: 251
Post Re: Loroi sexuality
Southern Cross wrote:
This is ignoring the fact that some Loroi have psychokinesis ( which does have some uses in espionage -floating portable computers out the door or window, grabbing trusted personnel from a distance, et cetera. And it can be used in interrogation as well- "Please stop spinning me around! I'll tell you what I want to know!"


All of these can be done without psychokinesis as well and the problem is that these are flatly hostile actions against an alien power and no one is going to stand for this. If the loroi resorts to these tactics they are already (probably) at war and then we just have to look at the delrias to see what happened. Whats the point of espionage and infiltration without arousing suspicion if you are preapared to aquire the information by force anyway. We are not talking about a spy agency anymore, we are talking about an occupational force.

_________________
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.


Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:21 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.