Loroi sexuality

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

fredgiblet

Re: Loroi sexuality

Post by fredgiblet »

Mayhem wrote:So the Loroi still have 2x our life expectancy.
You are correct, I mis-remembered. Of course that's NOW, we're still gaining, hopefully Alex and Fireblade will have a full life to live together

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

Jericho wrote:The south is now a defeated region filled with people screaming "the south will rise again" and racism and anti science and anti central goverment. A pretty fitting analogy for the terrans if fredgiblet have his way.
I'm sorry, but this a grotesque distortion. Is this what they teach you in Sweden? Where did you get this idea from? Family Guy?

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Turrosh Mak wrote:I'm sorry, but this a grotesque distortion. Is this what they teach you in Sweden? Where did you get this idea from? Family Guy?
I live in America, I get that idea from the news.

I know not everyone down there is like that, but the ones who make the news are.

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

fredgiblet wrote:I live in America, I get that idea from the news.

I know not everyone down there is like that, but the ones who make the news are.
Wow, is that really what you want to hang your hat on? The news? Based on that criteria the greater New York area is filled with entitled sociopaths who push people in front of subways and shoot up 1st grade classrooms.

This thread has gone way off topic, I believe it should be split, so those of us who want to talk about Loroi erogenous zones can do so in peace.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

fredgiblet wrote:There are, no doubt, people who will rage and foam at the mouth at the thought of giving over our independence, but they will be a minority, and a small one at that.
Huh. Wouldn´t bet on that one.

fredgiblet wrote:The majority of people will be concerned with how this impacts their career, or their vacation plans rather than how it impacts their freedom, just like today.
From "eurofriends´" view that´s the typical morally bankrupt, egoistic US-american attitude. "Solidarity? Never heard of, hey, what´s in for me, pal?"
If the majority of people is like that in 2160, then we do not deserve any better. Then go ahead, traitor.

You make one big mistake. You draw a line from the beginning of human industrialization to space-faring, and you think this line will continue.
But you´re WRONG.
This line will end, as history does, if those thinking alike you hand us over to the space-witches.
As i said before, there are more players at the table, there is a small gap that we can use, and we shouldn´t give up on that one.
Because those oh-so lovely Bishōjos are military blockheads, and they will do us absolutely no good.
Me, i will rather die in my boots than living on my knees.
sapere aude.

pinheadh78

Post by pinheadh78 »

Can we just close this thread? Seems to have gone way off topic and isn't fun to read anymore. :|

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

If Arioch hasn't closed/split it by the time I get home I'll split it

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Is it even a sure thing that the Terrans will be forced into the Loroi Union? Or just be military allies?

It's been so long since I first read Outsider, I'm not quite so certain how this would play out.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

Trantor (about fredgiblet) wrote:Then go ahead, traitor.
It bit strong given we have already had one warning about this thread. :(
I also find such passionate disputation can lead one to misunderstanding your opponents point and trap you in our own even if it turns out to be incomplete or fallacious.

First let us review the 2 main forms of alliance that might be available:

1. Independent Ally
Not a formal member of the Union, but unable to prove a meaningful military force of our own, we would be dependant on the Loroi military forces garrisoned in our space and on our planets.

Ruled by our own civilian governments but heavily subject to the influence of the superpower (Loroi). Our own influence in the Loroi Union is limited to our diplomats' powers of persuasion.

In future we would be officially allowed to build our own meaningful military forces but this would likely be opposed by the twin effect of Loroi political pressure and our own economic and political considerations.

Possible comparisons: The USA as the Loroi and South Korea or Japan as the Terrans.

2. Union Membership
Militarily dependant on the Loroi military forces garrisoned in our space and on our planets;
our own forces would only be used for police & patrol actions (which is all they are currently used for).

The union being federal in nature, most local matters will ruled by our own civilian governments subject to federal authority. Our legislative Assembly delegates - being proportionate in number to population - may well automatically become the second largest block after the Loroi themselves. While the Loroi no doubt hold a majority from a species perspective, the ability to negotiate with and influence individual Loroi factions will result in at least some say in the policies and legislation of the Union.

In future it would be next to impossible to break from the Union and have our own independent government and military, but we may be able to have considerable influence in the union itself.

Possible comparisons: The EU as the Loroi and, as the Terrans, at first Portugal or Greece then later the UK or Germany depending on how the Terrans want to play it.

Short Term:
There is not much difference for most civilians.

Long Term:
Very different but by then the choice has long been made.

Frankly I don't see it being immediately obvious that one choice is definitely better than the other for the Terrans.

Clearly there are people who will greatly prefer 1 choice to the other (e.g. Trantor & fredgiblet? :) ) but I very much doubt either faction will dominate the negotiations.

---
Trantor wrote:This line will end, as history does, if those thinking alike you hand us over to the space-witches.
As i said before, there are more players at the table, there is a small gap that we can use, and we shouldn´t give up on that one.
Because those oh-so lovely Bishōjos are military blockheads, and they will do us absolutely no good.
Me, i will rather die in my boots than living on my knees.
The question is - who would be killing you - the Loroi or your fellow Terrans?

Most of us are living on our knees in one way or another, it is just the cushion is soft enough and that we are so used to it that we don't notice or think about it, distracted as we are by our day-to-day lives. :(

You seem to presume that
1. the Terran negotiators would be approached by the Devil with a deal for you Machiavellian Historian A.I.s
and
2. that we would chose Skynet over the hot blue Amazonian space elf Nazis

I don't have that much faith in Humanity let alone our politicians. :D
Particle beam cannons are mass drivers :D
Fireblade's character sheet: '-1: Telepathically "talks" in sleep' 8-)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Turrosh Mak wrote: This thread has gone way off topic, I believe it should be split, so those of us who want to talk about Loroi erogenous zones can do so in peace.
The digression about alliances came pretty naturally out of the discussion of "would Loroi want to have sex with us" so it's hard to cleanly split. I'll just close the thread, because I think most of the bases have been covered both in the sexuality discussion and in the related digression, and it's clearly becoming toxic. If folks want to continue some of these topics, they can create new threads. But I must insist upon a greater effort in keeping the discussions civil.