Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Hālian

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Hālian »

What is the occurrence rate of Mizols?
Don't delay, join today!

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

CJ Miller wrote:What is the occurrence rate of Mizols?
The answer to that question is currently classified.
Kindly report to the closest Teidar Academy for... educational... purposes. :twisted:

manticore7

Post by manticore7 »

Arioch wrote:I've observed that the more conservative and buttoned-down the society, the more ridiculous and outrageous their sense of humor. I suspect that a lot of what the Loroi would find funny is slapstick, wacky non-sequitur Monty Python type stuff.
I wonder if Tempo would find "Romanes eunt domus" funny being the only one who deals with language.
"Worlds governed by artificial intelligence often learned a hard lesson, Logic doesn't care"
Andromeda season 2 episode 6 All too Human

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

CJ Miller wrote:What is the occurrence rate of Mizols?
The primary requirement for the Mizol is high unamplified telepathic power, and the secondary requirement is some level of psychokinetic power, which is desirable but not absolutely necessary. Individuals who are powerful in both telepathy and psychokinesis are usually trained as Teidar, but someone who does not respond well to amplification may end up as Mizol. The Mizol induction numbers are probably smaller than the Teidar, however in wartime the Teidar have a much higher attrition rate, due to more hazardous duty and potential cumulative side effects of amplification.

If you're asking that the Mizol numbers are or what they represent as a percentage of Loroi forces, I don't have any hard numbers for you. But in addition to staffing their own intelligence/diplomatic establishment, there is also at least one attached to nearly every military unit of company size or larger.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

side effect of amplification?

are you saying the grumpy attitude of fireblade may be due to overuse of amp?

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

They burn out, that's why Farseers need to be replaced.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

why i think of farseer like lightbulb

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

I was thinking more on the terms of migraines, muscle tension, exhaustion. Though, for all we readers know the primary side effect of psi amplification could be constipation.
OUTSIDER UPDATE => HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

If you suffer headaches, drowsiness, constipation, irritation, blueing of the skin, itchiness, lightheadedness, restricted breathing, loss of appetite, or fainting, please stop using AMP-UP immediately and consult your nearest Doranzer.
Ashrain is best rain.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

APPLY DIRECTLY TO FOREHEAD

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Aroich wrote:APPLY DIRECTLY TO FOREHEAD
Curse. You.

I wonder, did that commercial ever meme its way over seas?
http://youtu.be/f_SwD7RveNE

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Arioch wrote:APPLY DIRECTLY TO FOREHEAD
Funfact: Head-On is just wax.

Snake oil is alive and well. ._.
Don't delay, join today!

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Face palm:

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

As I understand, the backbone of industry is conquered by Loroi races. By logic, every race must have their units and standards. How do Loroi solve the problem of big distance between the factories and operators? After all, if the ship was have damage of engine, made and bring new more preferably from more close planet without Loroi than from long Loroi world. Does they have something like GOST or SI?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Foreign producers would need to make their products to Loroi specifications. I don't think that would be a problem. Even before the war, standards would have been necessary to make an inter-species economy work.

I'm sure that there were issues involved with integrating Pipolsid drive technology, Delrias weaponry, etc. into Loroi ship systems, but they've had many decades to work those problems out. Even the "new" Historian technology is 20 years old at this point.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Many of the standards are likely based on Soia standards anyway, right?

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

CJ Miller wrote:
Funfact: Head-On is just wax.

Snake oil is alive and well. ._.
Considering that the first commercial that I saw for it didn't even say why you were applying it to your forehead, I think you're giving them too much credit: even snake oil salesmen get as far as saying what it's for by the end of the pitch. As far as headaches go though, it might work for any that could be treated by a (very very very) light massage (assuming that there are such headaches), in which case the wax is just a lubricant, but I might have seen it ten times before they said that it was actually FOR something.
fredgiblet wrote:Many of the standards are likely based on Soia standards anyway, right?
Measurements-wise, sure, but I suspect that specifications for Soia bolt threads didn't have much meaning to hunter-gatherer society Loroi, and power and data connections even less so.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Absalom wrote:I suspect that specifications for Soia bolt threads didn't have much meaning to hunter-gatherer society Loroi, and power and data connections even less so.
Now I'm interested in seeing such standards :3
Don't delay, join today!

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

Well, and another one question. Loroi must to trust to others races if allow to them organize complete production cycle of weapons. Am I right?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Some standards would be based on Soia technology or culture, partly from elements of residual language, partly from having examples of devices lying around.
Absalom wrote: Considering that the first commercial that I saw for it didn't even say why you were applying it to your forehead, I think you're giving them too much credit: even snake oil salesmen get as far as saying what it's for by the end of the pitch.
Yeah, considering that the commercials never tell you what the product is supposed to do, it would come as more of a surprise to me if the stuff had some actual medicinal value.
Absalom wrote: Measurements-wise, sure, but I suspect that specifications for Soia bolt threads didn't have much meaning to hunter-gatherer society Loroi, and power and data connections even less so.
I think that during much of the "dark age" for all of the races on the former Soia Empire worlds, there would always have been a small number of functional and semi-functional devices that were preserved, maintained by small cadres of tinkers (probably super-secret orders akin to shamanism) who figured out a few basic functions and collected spare parts. These near-magical workings wouldn't have been much help to the actual advance of technology in the classical/medieval eras, as they were too far removed from what the primitive cultures could make themselves. But with the invention of their own machinery, developing cultures could start to make the connections between their own technology and the secrets that the Keepers of the Digital Calculator of Nesed had been hoarding for a thousand years.
Alexandr Koori wrote:Well, and another one question. Loroi must to trust to others races if allow to them organize complete production cycle of weapons. Am I right?
Well, in many cases like the Delrias beam weapons, there's not really a question of "keeping" sensitive information from the Delrias, since the Delrias invented the technology and understand it better than the Loroi. But for the Loroi, "trust, but verify" is better stated as "we can 'trust' them because we have telepathic operatives watching them all the time." Insurgency operations against Loroi occupations have been spectacularly unsuccessful.