Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Arioch »

Bamax wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:28 pm
Arioch said in an old post that Fireblade could crush Alex' brain at any time, Alex is only still breathing because she allows him to.

So Fireblade has more precision than I thought. And if she can do that, Tempo could probably peel an apple into orgami and steam it too LOL. Since Tempo is all about more precision with less power.

Well, she could crush his brain by way of his head. Doesn't require much precision.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I've re-read the articles on Loroi telepathy and I want to ask some questions:

1. It is said that a telepathic "shout" can even cripple unshielded minds. Just how powerful can this get? What about amplified shouting or even someone on the level of a Farseer trying this. Also, would there be any physical/mental backlash for the attacker or any other strange side effects? Would Tempo be able to outwit a demon of Tzeentch? wait, wrong universe...

2. What is the maximum range of a farseer and how corny does the resolution get?

3. Bored because there was no new comic page showcasing her glory, Fireblade decided to read the forums instead. After stumbling upon a certain fanfic, she felt the need to telekinetically rip out a bulkhead and use it to punish the foolish human who dared to even think of :oops: . How would that bulkhead move? Would it be "pushed" or "pulled" from the side she can see, accelerated uniformly because she can imagine its shape or even completely enveloped in a telekineic field of some sort? Would there be any inertia?

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

I reckon what Teidar cannot see they do not dare to move around with PK, since they have no clue where they are moving it.

Yet they have several abilities that allow them to affect objects without moving them across the room in one piece. Heating. Cooling. Crushing. Tearing. Blowing up etc.

I also think to visualize a Mizol or Teidar must have seen something similar before to what they are visualizing, otherwise they could not visualize it at all.

You cannot visualize what you do not already know of.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Cthulhu wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:44 pm
1. It is said that a telepathic "shout" can even cripple unshielded minds. Just how powerful can this get? What about amplified shouting or even someone on the level of a Farseer trying this. Also, would there be any physical/mental backlash for the attacker or any other strange side effects?
It's possible to tune telepathic messages so that they are only "heard" by the target, and so it's possible to stun an opponent with a shout without stunning yourself, but there's a limit to how tightly one can control this tuning as "volume" increases. Past a certain power level, the shout is likely to effect everyone within a certain range, including the attacker.
Cthulhu wrote:
2. What is the maximum range of a farseer and how corny does the resolution get?
Farseers are passive sensors, not active transmitters. Detection range varies, as does precision, but it's possible to detect a single mind in some cases.
Cthulhu wrote:
3. Bored because there was no new comic page showcasing her glory, Fireblade decided to read the forums instead. After stumbling upon a certain fanfic, she felt the need to telekinetically rip out a bulkhead and use it to punish the foolish human who dared to even think of :oops: . How would that bulkhead move? Would it be "pushed" or "pulled" from the side she can see, accelerated uniformly because she can imagine its shape or even completely enveloped in a telekineic field of some sort? Would there be any inertia?
Any or all of the above. Telekinesis applies a force to an object, which could be used to push, pull, crush, explode, or whatever.

(...and there is a new page... although it doesn't showcase Fireblade's glory)

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:14 am
It's possible to tune telepathic messages so that they are only "heard" by the target, and so it's possible to stun an opponent with a shout without stunning yourself, but there's a limit to how tightly one can control this tuning as "volume" increases. Past a certain power level, the shout is likely to effect everyone within a certain range, including the attacker.
Well, let's say a particularly powerful telepath were to shout or even scream at their max capacity due to some particularly aggravating circumstances. What kind of damage would that cause, both to her and anyone nearby, telepatic or even telekinetic?
Arioch wrote:
Farseers are passive sensors, not active transmitters. Detection range varies, as does precision, but it's possible to detect a single mind in some cases.
Hmm, I thought farseers were particularly powerful, or does that mean especially sensitive? Aren't they kept away from the general populace because their strength is out of the norm? Or am I confusing it with a fanfic? Damn you dragoongfa and your excellent writing.
Arioch wrote:
Any or all of the above. Telekinesis applies a force to an object, which could be used to push, pull, crush, explode, or whatever.
No, I mean how that force is applied to the object. Does it cover it entirely and is it applied instantly and uniformly?
Or, if you don't want or haven't gotten around to specify such details,then it's fine. Currently, I'm thinking about a few ideas for a fanfic, but I don't want to butcher up your lore or annoy you too much with my nitpicking.
Arioch wrote:
(...and there is a new page...
Fireblade smiles...
Arioch wrote:
although it doesn't showcase Fireblade's glory)
... but proceeds to crush the floating bulkhead.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Cthulhu wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:48 pm
Well, let's say a particularly powerful telepath were to shout or even scream at their max capacity due to some particularly aggravating circumstances. What kind of damage would that cause, both to her and anyone nearby, telepatic or even telekinetic?
Depending on the "volume," discomfort, pain, disorientation, temporary "deafness," loss of consciousness, temporary psychological trauma, permanent psychological trauma, brain damage, permanent "deafness," coma, death.
Cthulhu wrote:
Hmm, I thought farseers were particularly powerful, or does that mean especially sensitive? Aren't they kept away from the general populace because their strength is out of the norm? Or am I confusing it with a fanfic? Damn you dragoongfa and your excellent writing.
Yes, that means they are especially sensitive. Not that they're sensing the presence or "signature" of other minds, not the thoughts of those minds. They can operate from among large populations, but like a space telescope, they can improve performance if on a ship out away from planetary populations.
Cthulhu wrote:
No, I mean how that force is applied to the object. Does it cover it entirely and is it applied instantly and uniformly?
Could be any of the above, depending on the skill of the user.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:20 pm
Depending on the "volume," discomfort, pain, disorientation, temporary "deafness," loss of consciousness, temporary psychological trauma, permanent psychological trauma, brain damage, permanent "deafness," coma, death.
Interesting. The thing is, I remebered an interesting story from a Star Trek book about pre-Surak Vulcans. There a particularly strong telepath took out her entire clan in a final act of fury over her murdered husband her mother tried (but failed) to keep as a hostage.
Arioch wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:20 pm
Yes, that means they are especially sensitive. Not that they're sensing the presence or "signature" of other minds, not the thoughts of those minds. They can operate from among large populations, but like a space telescope, they can improve performance if on a ship out away from planetary populations.
I guess it will take some time for Alex to meet one. Unless... :shock:

Dahak

Post by Dahak »

Bamax wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:40 am
I was raised up on scifi shows like DS9 mostly, and what superhero cartoons that came along in the 90's through the early 2000's.

Elves are very foreign to me. Never really delved into fantasy but always liked scifi.
Star Trek has elves. It calls them Vulcans and Romulans.

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

Dahak wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:30 pm
Star Trek has elves. It calls them Vulcans and Romulans.
There are also dwarves (Ferengi) and orcs (Klingons).

jterlecki

Post by jterlecki »

Well today is Canada Day and this weekend is 4th of July. Could you tell us some of the holidays that Loroi celebrate and maybe a quick how they are celebrated/observed?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

jterlecki wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:03 pm
Well today is Canada Day and this weekend is 4th of July. Could you tell us some of the holidays that Loroi celebrate and maybe a quick how they are celebrated/observed?
Its a good chance "Semoset" is the most noteworthy one in the Deinar star system.
According to Insider, a month-long celebration every 28 years of the passing of the Semoset 'comet' through the inner system.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Hmmm...I wonder if Arioch was inspired by ant society at all when he made the Loroi? Ants are said to have a ratio of three females for every male...at least I read that.

Overall how they treat males is definitely more barbaric than the Loroi do....but they are animals so it figures.

It's still fascinating and I may well use ants as inspiration for my own scifi races one day.

Ant society is in many ways...an extreme version of the Loroi.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconvers ... nts-100478

Why create from scratch when we already have 'aliens' all around us?

Granted some civility is in order to distinguish scifi aliens from animals....but there is plenty of inspiration to be found...and modified...all around us.

Reality is often wilder than fiction. Some ants even do asexual clone eggs LOL...in addition to sex.

jterlecki

Post by jterlecki »

GeoModder wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:50 pm
jterlecki wrote:
Its a good chance "Semoset" is the most noteworthy one in the Deinar star system.
According to Insider, a month-long celebration every 28 years of the passing of the Semoset 'comet' through the inner system.
Has it occured since the start of the war (25y ago, if I am not mistaken)? Would be interesting if Alex showed up at the start of the official holidays or at the apogee / perihilion of the comet. Just some omens stuff for more superstitious people.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

jterlecki wrote:
jterlecki wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:06 am
GeoModder wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:50 pm
jterlecki wrote:
Has it occured since the start of the war (25y ago, if I am not mistaken)? Would be interesting if Alex showed up at the start of the official holidays or at the apogee / perihilion of the comet. Just some omens stuff for more superstitious people.
Semoset is a month-long festival of feasts and athletic competitions celebrating the passage of Semoset, a super-comet that passes every 28 years. It did occur during the war in 2144, which is when the Loroi launched their large offensive (the Semoset Offensive).

Truce is a Taben harvest festival, celebrating the yearly algal bloom and the feeding frenzy of fishing and whaling that takes advantage of it. After the bloom disperses, there is a day of feasts and a regatta, celebrating the traditional "truce" in which the Beleri and Amenal navies agreed not to attack each other during the harvest.

Deinar and Perrein don't have much in the way of seasons, so they don't have traditional harvest, midwinter or solstice festivals.

Aurora is an annual festival on Deinar when the planet experiences a yearly maximum of meteor activity (as it passes through the path of Semoset's orbit, though the primitive Loroi on Deinar didn't know this until long after the tradition began). The meteors appear to originate from the direction of the Pleiades, which is prominent in the Deinar night sky. On the night of the maximum, there is a celebration in which people go out into the woods and camp out overnight (in Arran they go into the desert) and recount the long epic cycle of the thirteen sisters of Aurora. The following day is traditionally a “day off” in which people recover from the all-night festivities.

Windfury is a sort of "corporate holiday" (like Valentines Day, it was promoted by companies wishing to encourage people to buy things) that originated on Maia. It has a tenuous connection to a mythical figure, but it's essentially a Loroi Mother's Day. Mothers spend the day with their daughters, who buy gifts for her.

Perrein's city-states have distinct and divergent cultures. One of the few holidays with planet-wide observance is the festival of Whitecap, which, perhaps ironically, commemorates the atomic holocaust on pre-contact Perrein, and has become connected with the myth of Whitecap, a benevolent witch. People dress up in scary skeleton costumes or as Whitecap herself, who leaves macabre gifts for children in exchange for the ritual offerings the children leave for her.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Hey Arioch, I was wondering, is 'blockade running' a possibility given how Outsider ships detect, move in-system, and jump between systems? Using the map from 121, let's say you needed to get a message from Azimol to a safe system beyond Rallis, leaving you two contested systems in-between.

Could a fast enough (meaning high enough acceleration) ship with sufficient shielding jump in, dodge Umiak forces waiting at the inbound jump zone, haul ass through the system, dodge the forces at the outbound jump zone, successfully jump to the next system, and then repeat the process? Or, is that completely unrealistic given the technology? I'm assuming the crew would risk a deep jump on any shallow(er) gravity well stars to try to get behind forces waiting in the jump zone.

kfcroc18

Post by kfcroc18 »

Do the Loroi have any organized professional sports like Baseball and Football?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

orion1836 wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:42 pm
Hey Arioch, I was wondering, is 'blockade running' a possibility given how Outsider ships detect, move in-system, and jump between systems? Using the map from 121, let's say you needed to get a message from Azimol to a safe system beyond Rallis, leaving you two contested systems in-between.

Could a fast enough (meaning high enough acceleration) ship with sufficient shielding jump in, dodge Umiak forces waiting at the inbound jump zone, haul ass through the system, dodge the forces at the outbound jump zone, successfully jump to the next system, and then repeat the process? Or, is that completely unrealistic given the technology? I'm assuming the crew would risk a deep jump on any shallow(er) gravity well stars to try to get behind forces waiting in the jump zone.
When you jump into a system, you literally jump into the blind. In most cases there's no advance intel on enemy dispositions and fleet strength. You could literally arrive within a couple lightseconds of a hostile ship.
And even you're lucky, you still need lay in a good enough vector towards the jump zone out. Any hostile ship with enough torpedo's on board will ruin your day at arrival. And once your arrival is detected, and broadcasted throughout the system, any vessel on either outbound zone will be able to shoot you down. Those have enough time to lay in an interception course.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

orion1836 wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:42 pm

It depends on where the enemy forces are in the system, which unfortunately you can't know beforehand. If they're guarding the arrival zone in force, then it's not "impossible" but unlikely that a lone ship could evade them.
kfcroc18 wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:13 pm
Do the Loroi have any organized professional sports like Baseball and Football?
Yes, but the "professional" players are civilians, and in many cases they're less popular than military academy teams. I believe that American football was like this in its early days; college teams were very popular, but the early pro leagues were considered kind of a joke.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Arioch wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:36 pm
It depends on where the enemy forces are in the system, which unfortunately you can't know beforehand. If they're guarding the arrival zone in force, then it's not "impossible" but unlikely that a lone ship could evade them.
Got it. Would a more reasonable strategy be for a lone ship to hang back during a massed counteroffensive, then break away and make a run for the jump zone when the opportunity presented itself?

Werra

Post by Werra »

How likely is it that Hollywood gets its hand on some Loroi acting talent?

And how will the Loroi react to the inevitable Bond movie staring a "Mizol" as the girl, the agent and the villain?