Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Dan Wyatt

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Bamax wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:19 am
This is NOT for a fanfic, although I think it would be an amusing one if all acted in character except the MC.

Suppose some guy other than Alex survives the Bell's destruction, and the moment he see's Stillstorm he is smitten with her, and as much tells her so at least during the battle scene, which only adds to Stillstorm's dislike of him.

That said, the MC still loves Stillstorm but also thinks if he can win her that he and her can be a power couple and rule the known galaxy! Since he can tell she has a high rank. And he... is like a low ranking officer on the Bell who has had delusions of grandeur for some time now.

Forget.saving humanity! He wants Stillstorm and to be overlord of the galaxy!

What possible chance of pulling this off does he have if he has Alex same skill set... just different motives?

50/50? 10%? 75%? 1%?

Like I am fully aware he woukd have to help end the war while also endearing himself to Stillstorm without her having him thrown out an airlock... it would make for fun watching anyway.

Just what does it take to break cold as ice Stillstorm. Maybe under all that hardness she is a reallly sweet, kind person or something LOL.

Nah... I think she is just a jaded realist. But it would be amusing to see her soft side too so long it actually made sense for her character and was not all of a sudden.
NO!
JUST NO!
Make it Tempo instead of Stillstorm, and you will have significant attention.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Dan Wyatt wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:21 pm
Bamax wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:19 am
This is NOT for a fanfic, although I think it would be an amusing one if all acted in character except the MC.

Suppose some guy other than Alex survives the Bell's destruction, and the moment he see's Stillstorm he is smitten with her, and as much tells her so at least during the battle scene, which only adds to Stillstorm's dislike of him.

That said, the MC still loves Stillstorm but also thinks if he can win her that he and her can be a power couple and rule the known galaxy! Since he can tell she has a high rank. And he... is like a low ranking officer on the Bell who has had delusions of grandeur for some time now.

Forget.saving humanity! He wants Stillstorm and to be overlord of the galaxy!

What possible chance of pulling this off does he have if he has Alex same skill set... just different motives?

50/50? 10%? 75%? 1%?

Like I am fully aware he woukd have to help end the war while also endearing himself to Stillstorm without her having him thrown out an airlock... it would make for fun watching anyway.

Just what does it take to break cold as ice Stillstorm. Maybe under all that hardness she is a reallly sweet, kind person or something LOL.

Nah... I think she is just a jaded realist. But it would be amusing to see her soft side too so long it actually made sense for her character and was not all of a sudden.
NO!
JUST NO!
Make it Tempo instead of Stillstorm, and you will have significant attention.
You have ho admit it would be fun to watch... Beryl's reaction included... since she would think the MC to be suicidal.

I know Tempo is arguably more likeable, but I have found in real life that the ones who are hard to catch are often also the ones who are more valuable overall.

I can't speak for Tempo and Stillstorm. Just a personal obsevation based on IRL experiences with females.

Plus I find the chase and unrequited love with someone as cold as Sillstorm to be a fascinating and possibly hilarious concept.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Bamax wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:20 pm
You have ho admit it would be fun to watch... Beryl's reaction included... since she would think the MC to be suicidal.

I know Tempo is arguably more likeable, but I have found in real life that the ones who are hard to catch are often also the ones who are more valuable overall.

I can't speak for Tempo and Stillstorm. Just a personal obsevation based on IRL experiences with females.

Plus I find the chase and unrequited love with someone as cold as Sillstorm to be a fascinating and possibly hilarious concept.
I gotta admit you have some different tastes. ;)
Well, to each of his own. 8-)

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Dan Wyatt wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:24 pm
Bamax wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:20 pm

I gotta admit you have some different tastes. ;)
Well, to each of his own. 8-)
Well... I once designed a scifi character that looked like her, only with Bery'ls shorter hair style, different personality though. No elf ears though.

So maybe that's part of it.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Werra wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:45 am
I'm almost certain that we've already seen Star Destroyers in the atmosphere in one of the games produced by LucasArts.
The SW ships do have some control over gravity, as they all have artificial gravity.
None of the games I played had capital ships in atmosphere, but it wouldn't count even if it did.
Cthulhu wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:53 am
Even though Star Wars is one of the most famous space operas, it's just that, an opera. It was never "hard" sci-fi, even the "soft" part was just background.
Like I said, I know Lucas was not the best when it came to internal consistency; you can see him making things up as he went. But internal consistency is important in any setting, not just "hard" science fiction.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:01 pm
Like I said, I know Lucas was not the best when it came to internal consistency; you can see him making things up as he went. But internal consistency is important in any setting, not just "hard" science fiction.
That's what I meant, if they do not care about consistency in their franchise, why should I? Instead, I'm simply going to see each work, be it film or book, as its own, separate "universe". Then I'm going to rate whether it is good. If it's as bad as those new movies, then I will simply forget about their existence or their relation to other works altogether and move on. Onto the good stuff, like the Thrawn trilogy, for example. Some may call it cherry-picking, I would call it pulling diamonds out of refuse. Even though both is carbon-based, I'm not going to pretend it's even remotely related.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

My biggest problem with the new Star Wars and Star Trek movies is not that they're inconsistent, but rather that they're awful.

But since they were brought up as examples of antigrav...

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:27 pm
My biggest problem with the new Star Wars and Star Trek movies is not that they're inconsistent, but rather that they're awful.

But since they were brought up as examples of antigrav...
Whoa, you actually watched even the new Star Trek movies? Honestly, I tried that, but they were just so bad, that I simply erased the very thought of their existence from my memory. And then there's that new Star Trek TV show, too. I think I'm gonna puke. :?

Anyway, how about getting back on topic and my questions. I hope they aren't going into territory you haven't charted out yet, but I do not want to undermine consistency. I can write about something else, it's just an idea at this point.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Cthulhu wrote:
1. Going through the Loroi Ship classes for my fanfic, I realized that some ships have "Warhead Launchers" in the weapon list, but no torpedoes in their ordnance list. For example, the Warhammer-class destroyer has 18, but the Curved Knife-class has none. What do they launch? Or are they not normally supplied with torpedoes?
The "warhead launcher" is a general-purpose launch system that can be used to give various types of missiles a "boost" so they can light their drives at a safe distance, or for a bomb that has no significant propulsion. Ships with a launcher of this type will also carry capsules that can be loaded with taimat and lobbed at an unlucky fixed target.

The craft & ordnance loadouts are just standard equipment; often the ship can carry more than specified, and often they will be carrying less than specified.
Cthulhu wrote:
2. What rank do the Diadem members hold, Torrai Diaderets with a Torrai Oirel presiding over them? Are all of them following the Emperor on her flagship?
In addition to the Diaderet's, many of the Diadem members will hold other titles (such as governor, department chief, admiral, etc.). The Diadem periodically meets in different locations, usually going where the Azerein goes, but they don't stay with her all the time (except for the chief of staff and the members who are officers in the fleets around her).
Cthulhu wrote:
3. What do Torrai Sillatozan do, are they department heads or do they support planetary governors, maybe sector commanders?
Most of the local governments have some kind of Elder Council in addition to their consuls and general assemblies.

kfcroc18

Post by kfcroc18 »

Star Wars at lest the old Star Wars before Jar Jar and the Mouse was surprisingly 'hard in terms of sci-fi than most realize.
https://youtu.be/AEPM-Bqc8fQ

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

IIRC the first appearance of atmospheric flights of capital ships - the final scene of SW2.
Since that moment capital ships casually fly in atmosphere.
The new thing mouse pulled - is galaxy wide instant jump capability of small fighters. Like they can instantly jump on any planet and make a bomb run.
In original trilogy rebel fighters can normally operate only with support of capital carriers and jumps was not so instant but take a long time.
In Lucas Art SW Rebellion strategy fleet needed around a month or two to traverse the galaxy.
Outsider in Russian

kfcroc18

Post by kfcroc18 »

does anyone remember that American Dad episode where Steve gets a puppy, but then it dies so, Stan turns it into that undead thing? That is what I feel has happened to Star Wars and Star Trek, good for their time, but now they need to rest so that something else can rise.

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

SVlad wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:29 am
IIRC the first appearance of atmospheric flights of capital ships - the final scene of SW2.
Since that moment capital ships casually fly in atmosphere.
The new thing mouse pulled - is galaxy wide instant jump capability of small fighters. Like they can instantly jump on any planet and make a bomb run.
In original trilogy rebel fighters can normally operate only with support of capital carriers and jumps was not so instant but take a long time.
In Lucas Art SW Rebellion strategy fleet needed around a month or two to traverse the galaxy.
Those will be Acclamators- specifically designed heavy dropships.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

The Loroi woman here looks like the female protagonist from the anime Mezzo Forte. :o

That's a really nice look, and I wonder how her character traits might be!

captainsmirk

Post by captainsmirk »

Zorg56 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:52 pm
Those will be Acclamators- specifically designed heavy dropships.
True but then we have this scene in Episode 3:

Definitely Star Destroyers, although not the Imperial-class admittedly. But capital ships blithely flying in atmospheres goes right back to Lucas, can't blame Disney for that one.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

How about making a separate thread for Sci-fi opera discussions? This is supposed to be a dedicated questions thread.

Also, let's get back on topic:
If an amplified Farseer can sense over interstellar ranges, can she send, too? Maybe only to Farseers? Or maybe to other, unamplified Loroi, too? I'm quite sure it is possible, but I can't find that info in the Insider.

Werra

Post by Werra »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15&p=2979&hilit=far ... ding#p2979
SpoilerShow
You can specify an author when using the search function.

kfcroc18

Post by kfcroc18 »

Have the Loroi ever had any anti-war/peace movements? Or have they always been war hawks?

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Cthulhu wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:57 pm
How about making a separate thread for Sci-fi opera discussions? This is supposed to be a dedicated questions thread.

Also, let's get back on topic:
If an amplified Farseer can sense over interstellar ranges, can she send, too? Maybe only to Farseers? Or maybe to other, unamplified Loroi, too? I'm quite sure it is possible, but I can't find that info in the Insider.
Such 'Sending' will fry any unfortunate recipients' brain, as these are far too powerful, even the farseers will be having a migraine after receiving.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Farseers are passive receptors. They're not FTL radios.