Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

GeoModder

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by GeoModder »

inxsi wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:33 pm
But would loroi Ripley have to be male?
So what? All the human male characters would be Loroi females.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Fun fact: Ripley was written so they could be played by a male or female actor.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

Throw a curveball and have Ripley be a Neridi.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Werra wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:27 pm
Ithekro wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:02 am
Let's combine this! Since the Neridi can switch their genders, you can have both.

Another question, have you created any background setting as to how inertial dampeners actually work?
Maybe by manipulating "surface friction" with the gravity well? Are they related to the jump field generators in any way? You said that all those technologies are derived from the theory of gravity (the missing link of the Grand Unified Theory), so are they different applications of the same principle?

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Cthulhu wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:29 am
Werra wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:27 pm
Ithekro wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:02 am
Let's combine this! Since the Neridi can switch their genders, you can have both.

Another question, have you created any background setting as to how inertial dampeners actually work?
Maybe by manipulating "surface friction" with the gravity well? Are they related to the jump field generators in any way? You said that all those technologies are derived from the theory of gravity (the missing link of the Grand Unified Theory), so are they different applications of the same principle?

Since you are writing a fanfic you are allowed to deviate from canon.... some.

Both gravity and inertia are intrinsic properties of mass.

We already know how to lower inertia with physics... just reduce mass. And to increase inertia you add mass.

What we don't know how to do is manipulate gravity directly.

So you could say the Loroi and other races discovered gravitons (not found IRL to date) that propagate gravity forces.

If you emit them in a certain direction, you increase gravity in the opposite direction.

Which actually means on spaceships gravity fields are being emitted up and away from the ship's floors.

These gravitons must weaken much faster with distance than natural ones created by planets, since otherwise the spaceship 1g gravity would be pulling down any ship or missile nearby above them since their gravity only pulls upward from their deck floors... rather than all around like planets.

Coincidentally it can help or hurt on planets.

For example on Earth because Earth already has 1g you would feel 2g and anything nearby falling down on the ship would crash at 2g.

On the moon you would have a bit stronger gravity than 1g since the moon would not add much.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

inxsi wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:33 pm
Dan Wyatt wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:29 pm
Werra wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:49 pm
So...what would have happened on Tempest if Alex had been an employee of Waylant-Yutani which the Loroi rescued?
I mean, after the chestburster scene.
Blue space bimbos getting impregnated by rapacious Aliens, and dying gruesomely as little critters explode from their petite bodies!!
THE HORROR!
THE HORROR!

It would sell a lot!
But would loroi Ripley have to be male?
Nope!
A female Loroi with an equivalent rank of a warrant officer.
So Tempo!! ;)
Last edited by Dan Wyatt on Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Cthulhu wrote:
Let us assume they use some unobtanium exotic materials, or a good amount of AM to create a warp bubble that sucks them into hyperspace.
I don't think Arioch has explained it in details as it'd deviate the discussions from beautiful space blueberries to hard and boring physics.
But for your Fanfics, you may use anything of your likes.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Cthulhu wrote:
Inertial dampers are required for jump drive to work, since without inertial dampers, the process of rupturing spacetime would destroy the ship and everyone on board... but they're probably not related principles. I think the jump field affects the surface tension of spacetime (which may imply something to do with gravity or spacetime curvature), and inertial dampers affect how matter responds to force (which implies something involving the Higgs field).

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:38 pm
Inertial dampers are required for jump drive to work, since without inertial dampers, the process of rupturing spacetime would destroy the ship and everyone on board... but they're probably not related principles. I think the jump field affects the surface tension of spacetime (which may imply something to do with gravity or spacetime curvature), and inertial dampers affect how matter responds to force (which implies something involving the Higgs field).
Thanks, I'm just trying to streamline my writing and reduce the amount of technobabble. However, digging through the forum digests, I've found some info that intrigued me.
Arioch wrote:I suspect that all three effects (reactionless drive, artificial gravity, and inertial damping) are closely related.
Considering that the jump field generator also projects some sort of gravitational field in order to escape the space-time boundaries, I thought about ideas as to how a more advanced vessel might use or even combine those similarities.
Thanks to your clarification, I found a good way to optimize a particularly troublesome description.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

I presume they have... TV? Or the equivalent.

Since they are not as commercially obsessed as America, I reckon their TV is more like youtube. Choose a video and see an ad paid by a wealthy money grubbing company.

I also reckon they don't have ridiculous shows like Jerry Springer and Steve Wilkos show?

Or do they?

It would be hillarious for Loroi to argue who is the father over one of those small guys of theirs : )

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

On the subject of telekinesis, could loroi manipulate matter on a microscopic scale and precision. For example, if a Mizol or Teidar observed matter under a microscope, could they tinker telekinetically with it?

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Snoofman wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:14 pm
On the subject of telekinesis, could loroi manipulate matter on a microscopic scale and precision? For example, if a Mizol or Teidar observed matter under a microscope, could they tinker telekinetically with it?
A powerful Mizol or Nedatan might be able to do it.
Also, it'll be useful for Doranzers and Listel researchers. They might be the most numerous using this technique.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:14 pm
On the subject of telekinesis, could loroi manipulate matter on a microscopic scale and precision. For example, if a Mizol or Teidar observed matter under a microscope, could they tinker telekinetically with it?
I doubt it.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

How would a warrior who keeps in touch (via messages and meeting in person when she could) a sibling who is not a warrior be viewed? Would anyone know who she is sending messages to? Do warriors ever get any personal time to travel to meet their family?

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

inxsi wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:21 pm
How would a warrior who keeps in touch (via messages and meeting in person when she could) a sibling who is not a warrior be viewed?
Definitely something like this:
Dishonor!Show

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Cthulhu wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:26 pm
Definitely something like this:
Dishonor!Show
Likely, but there are levels to shame. Is it a stern talking to or something harsher (both officially and unofficially)?

Another question - what happens if a warrior in the ground force wants to transfer to the space force? I imagine there are those who realized that ground combat is not going to be very important in this war and might want more glory in the navy - is it possible to switch (even if it is just to be marines with barely any knowledge of how to operate anything on the ship they are on)? How much retraining would there be?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

inxsi wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:21 pm
How would a warrior who keeps in touch (via messages and meeting in person when she could) a sibling who is not a warrior be viewed? Would anyone know who she is sending messages to? Do warriors ever get any personal time to travel to meet their family?
Warriors get semi-regular leave; whether they have time or the means to travel home depends on the situation.

There aren't any regulations against communication between warriors and civilians. It's a social stigma; even having a sister who failed trials is a black mark against her family, so usually it's the warrior family members who are pissed at the civilian.
inxsi wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:32 pm
Another question - what happens if a warrior in the ground force wants to transfer to the space force? I imagine there are those who realized that ground combat is not going to be very important in this war and might want more glory in the navy - is it possible to switch (even if it is just to be marines with barely any knowledge of how to operate anything on the ship they are on)? How much retraining would there be?
A warrior can request a transfer, but she'd have to tick a lot of boxes in terms of aptitude or preparation (or have some very influential contacts) to justify the time and cost of retraining if she wants to completely change her role.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

How freely can civilians travel in the Loroi Union?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

inxsi wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:56 pm
How freely can civilians travel in the Loroi Union?
Aside from secured military areas, I don't think there are any restrictions on civilian travel.

Though the civilians in question will need to have the means to get where they want to go.

jterlecki

Post by jterlecki »

If a civilian possesses an unusual amount of expertise in a critical field (think people who can start revolutions in their fields of work), how much respect can they garner socially, compared to those in the military? Would someone like this who can potentially make incredible contributions be allowed to have offspring? Would a male loroi with this level of expertise be more valuable for being a reproductor or for their skill?