[WP] Beacons (Story Thread Only)

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

dragoongfa

Re: [WP] Beacons (Story Thread Only)

Post by dragoongfa »

"I wouldn't consider this proof of evolutionary tampering, especially from a sample size comprized of just two individuals." Beryl commented while Alex thought about this latest revelation.

"Perhaps, but it is apt evidence of Soia meddling on humans in general." Shadow replied.

"I have to agree with Beryl that this doesn't prove that the Soians directed humanity's evolutionary path but I considered some form of Soian meddling on humanity to be a fact from the moment I first heard of the theory of humans being the 'template' species of the Loroi." Alex said at that. "No matter the technologies involved the Soians would have had to experiment in depth with humans in order to be able to produce a seemingly superior race based on us."

"Seemingly superior?" Shadow asked with a smirk.

"Loroi can live at least four times as long, you don't need to eat as much and you are about as strong as a human male." Alex replied with obvious embarrassment. "Most humans will begrudgingly accept all this but not without some posturing."

"Many Loroi would also begrudgingly accept humans as superior if only because of the raw telepathic strength that you have exhibited so far." Shadow added. "Yes this assumption is based on a sample size of two but the constant impregnable Lotai is an indicator of raw telepathic strength present on all humans who exhibit said Lotai."

"True... and since Bellarmine went undetected all the way to Naam its safe to assume that the Lotai in a near universal trait." Alex commented after thinking about it.

"Which brings me back to a pet theory I have been toying with the past couple of days. Tell me, is it possible that the Lotai was initially evolved not as a means of protection against an anti telepathic predator but as a tool against contemporary human ancestors?" Shadow asked at that.

"You mean an other human subspecies? There was certainly a time where there were several early hominid subspecies throughout the world but they didn't coexist for an extended period of time." Alex replied.

"Not an other subspecies but it would certainly be an interesting case study; I mean as a telepathic tool against interpersonal conflict between tribes and familial units." Shadow explained before continuing. "Think about it, your telepathic talents protect you and those dear to you. The Lotai acts up and expands to cover a wide area around you when it detects a threat on your 'mate' and it is on record from the Deinar files that a telepathic attack will occur if a 'mate' is further threatened and attacked. It has all the marks of a familial defensive mechanism, add in the fact that your abilities peak when you are angered and that you have an instinctual terror reaction when sensing an oversized 'Lotai' and one begins to see a clear picture in regards to how such an ability has evolved through the ages. Now, before you try and find flaws with my theory I have got to confirm something first: Is infanticide common in the fauna of your world?"

"It's common, very common as a matter of fact in some species but I don't... Yes, your theory is sound." Alex replied after thinking about it but was still not fully convinced.

"Thought so, infanticide is common among many advanced carnivores and omnivores; males killing unrelated infants and females killing the infants of unrelated females. In many worlds this has resulted in the females becoming better able to physically protect their young against all threats but I think that the evolutionary path is different on Earth." Shadow added.

"Indeed, males tend to be the dominant sex and it is indeed common for the males of many species to kill infants that they haven't fathered; it makes sense from the evolutionary perceptive of survival of the fittest." Alex commented at that, realization slowly dawning on him.

"And do such species include any surviving evolutionary relatives of modern humans?" Shadow asked at that.

"Yes, plenty of primates are like that with packs or troops made up of a dominant male followed by several females and their offspring." Alex replied, finally connecting the dots. "Conflict between primates is also extremely brutal with the stakes being not only the females of the pack but the survival of the infants in case the reigning patriarch is deposed."

"Wouldn't the mothers try to protect their offspring in that case?" Beryl interjected.

"Generally speaking a male is strong enough to overpower numerous females at the same time if they are determined enough. This is the case for all primates I know off." Alex replied before continuing. "Yes I can see how human telepathy as it is now could have evolved in such a distant past; it fits nearly perfectly."

"Nearly?" Shadow asked.

"Wouldn't our mouths and ability to speak devolve if that was the case?" Alex pointed out.

"Not really; the ability to make complex sounds is a great tool for communication even when telepathy is involved, especially when conflict is ever present. The reason we Loroi maintained our vocal and written traditions is because of our constant warring with one an other; if we were all peaceful and friendly with one an other we would have simply 'forgotten' our vocal language in the hundreds of thousands of years it took us to reach our industrial age. If your ancestors fought each other frequently enough to shape your telepathy in such a manner then they certainly shouted to enemies and communicated verbally with outsiders; just like we Loroi did in our stone age." Alex nodded at an explanation that made far too much sense to ignore.

"So lets say that my subconcious still works in that prehistorical primate level; it thinks that I am the 'patriarch' of a small tribe, with Beryl and Fireblade being my 'mates', this doesn't explain why I am connected only to them and not to everyone else I have managed to converse telepathically via touching."

"A proper answer to that would require in depth knowledge of the societal structure of your primate ancestor but if I would wager a guess I would say that those you connect to are your chosen 'matriarchs', your most trusted mates who are leading the others in your stead." Shadow said after thinking about it.

"Wouldn't it be better for all the 'mates' to share such a bond?"

"Ideally yes but maintaining such a connection is bound to be mentally taxing even if it is all handled on the subconscious level. We Loroi can't really converse in large groupings, more than four or five individuals make conversations too chaotic to follow; being connected on the level that you are, with back and forth exchange of emotions, location and ordinary sanzai? It would be too much to handle. Although I am curious as to where the limit of the connections you are able to handle lays, if you are even able to handle one more individual to begin with." Shadow replied.

"It would certainly be interesting to know for sure but out of everyone he has sanzaied with thus far he has connected only with me and Pallan Fireblade and we have both become more attuned with each other due to our connection with Captain Jardin." Beryl commented at that.

"And lets not forget the fact that you send everything to us when you are copulating and we are in range." Beryl sent to him at that, making him flinch a little.

"I don't even know how or why I do that!" Alex protested at that.

"We will figure it out, the Torimor's idea and the book she sent to me may give us some clues."

"I trust that you are discussing how to experiment with your telepathic talents with what we just discussed." Shadow said at that catching Alex by surprise.

"It may give us some clues going forward." Alex replied. "Now, is there anything else Torimor, I am certain that we have spent more time here than you initially planned for."

"Yes, one last thing. Tell me, how did you plan on dealing with Torret Shortleaf?" Shadow asked with an even tone of voice while staring coldly at him which alongside Beryl's sudden alarm made him pause for thought before replying.

"To tell you the truth, I don't really know. After calming down a bit I realized that I don't have any authority to enact any sort of 'payback' to her. The most I can do is to call her an incompetent coward to her face while showing her the solution we came up with without any sort of help from her part." His answer must have satisfied her as she nodded approvingly before replying.

"It's good that you have realized your limits after you calmed down, I would hate to sour our professional relationship for the shake of such a petty individual." Shadow begun. "The Union doesn't like foreign agents interfering with internal matters, especially matters involving military discipline. That's exclusively the purview of the Mizol caste and we are the ones who maintain it."

"I apologize if my behavior crossed certain diplomatic lines that should remained uncrossed." Alex said at that.

"You don't have to apologize, your anger at the perceived incompetence and cowardice of a Loroi warrior was more than justifiable. It's even refreshing to see an ally feel so strongly for the proper running of a Union warship and the well being of its crew. Just remember that there are proper avenues to pass on your grievances and that there are legitimate ways to demand recompense for perceived slights." Shadow said with a smile that passed along an obvious meaning.

"Like a duel?" Alex asked without liking where this was going.

"It would be within your rights and I would have approved of it if it was requested. A good duel always solves certain issues even if the 'righteous' party ends up losing." Shadow replied and continued the moment she saw his expression harden. "And in this case you wouldn't even have to fight yourself since the injured party is an entire ship and its crew."

"I don't consider dueling t..." Alex begun to say before realizing something important. "Wait a moment, you mean that Torret Shortleaf did something wrong warranting punishment?"

"Of course, all of her past indiscretions in regards to Tempest and a few other cases would warrant disciplinary punishment under normal circumstances." Shadow replied as a matter of fact.

"But she was left as is because these weren't normal circumstances." Alex added dryly.

"An unfortunate reality..." Shadow begun with a nod. "It's really simple, when managing any large enough organization the ones who manage it always work to maintain the status quo if they wish for the organization to remain functional, especially in times of crisis. Those who work against said status quo are always sidelined and excised from any organization and those who criticize it may find themselves facing problems that otherwise wouldn't be there. The Union is in the middle of a genocidal war and there has already been a coup attempt against the current Emperor, those responsible for said coup were punished appropriately. Stillstorm openly decried said coup but she is still openly against the current regime. In times of peace this would have been even welcome to a degree but in a time of such a war? Stillstorm is wise enough to only just talk and not take even a single step in trying to make her words a reality, this is understood by us and it is something that I personally respect her for but those who listen may not be as wise and as thus we could not allow Stillstorm to continue talking unmolested."

"That's understandable but still, hindering the front-line war effort because of politics?" Alex asked.

"It's foolish, that's true but war is a highly complex art; where everyone participating must play their part with utmost precision. Open dissent may convince someone from our side to forget who their real enemy is and try something treasonous, creating a momentary weakness that our enemy is all too able and willing to exploit, resulting in our extermination as a species. If the ones who voiced said dissent simply ceased to do that for the duration of the war then all the hindrances for them would simply disappear and certain individuals who decided to abuse said hindrances would find themselves facing their just dues. Everyone involved knows this but Stillstorm is as proud and headstrong as she is capable, seeing the silence that is required from her to be as dishonest as her openly lying about the matter." Shadow explained.

"And now things have changed."

"Indeed. This is a crucial moment of the war, Stillstorm being a dissenting voice or not bears no weight at all to the reality that we now face. She is now a Soshret, one promoted out of necessity and who will be closely watched by the cabinet after this crisis is over but this doesn't change the fact that she is a Soshret. A fleet commander entrusted to lead the Empire's fleets against the foes. We are fully aware that she will not betray the trust placed on her for the duration of the war and we in turn have faith that Stillstorm understands that Emperor Greywind is old whereas she still has centuries to live for; that she understands that even if the war was somehow won tomorrow she would eventually see the change she is so vocal about without having Loroi blood spilled for it." Shadow explained. "Torret Shortleaf? She is senior enough in rank that understanding this basic fact should have come natural to her, she should have known that any of her past indiscretions were ignored all in order to maintain the facade of Stillstorm being in ill favor and not because she holds any short of weight in the status quo or that we condoned her past actions. She should have known that repeating her past behavior would bring repercussions, to do so amidst this crisis? Warriors of far better pedigree than her have been thrown back to the lowest ranks for less."

"So she will be punished for this?"

"Of course, it's as you put it just earlier, her duty was to ensure that all warships currently docked are fully combat capable. The minutiae of certain regulations she follows may agree with her but the over arching reason for her position is to ensure just that; she knew that Tempest isn't fully combat capable and refused to even consider finding a solution, a solution which you have so readily provided by the way. I would have ensured that an investigation would follow her wherever she went but Stillstorm was faster and has already authorized one, and Parat Tempo has already ensured that Shortleaf will not be among the evacuees from Nezel." Shadow replied with a smile. "I am aware that you have asked to handle this yourself but we have already cleared this misunderstanding from your part up..."

"Yes, it's best that the proper authorities handle this." Alex replied in defeat.

"I can however repay the favor you did to me by being a good company to the Tazites yesterday, we may not agree on everything but she needed a small break and you made it a pleasant one, so I will hear any suggestions you may have as to Torret Shortleaf's punishment." Shadow said with a smile.

"Really?" Alex asked at that.

"I don't have a reason to lie but if it is a proper punishment then I will see it done." Shadow reassured him.

"I don't know I will have to think about it a little..." Alex begun before remembering something. "Although... I do know a certain Gallen Bastobar aboard Tempest that could use a new assistant."

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

"Now you want to ensure that Tempest is fully combat capable.?" Tempo sent mockingly to Torret Shortleaf, finally realizing that for once she agreed completely with Stillstorm; the Loroi standing infront of her was indeed a waste of a good armor capable only of thinking how to spread her legs for a male. She thought that it was one of handful of Stillstorm's exaggerations but coming face to face and interrogating Shortleaf changed her mind completely.

"Yes, I am certain that we can work something out!" Shortleaf replied hurriedly, anxiety blasted clearly throughout her sending.

"This is no longer necessary, the issues pertaining Tempest have been resolved already. Without needing any input from you or your office." Tempo replied and for a moment she clearly sensed relief coming from Shortleaf, the fool even visibly relaxed her body at that.

"Then I don't see an issue that would justify this farce." Shortleaf replied, trying to insert some self assurance and arrogance in her sending but her anxiety still wafted everything that Tempo allowed in her mind.

"The issue is that you are accused of being a cowardly idiot who is undeserving of your rank and position. I came here to figure out if this was the case, I even had my doubts about you being such a waste of oxygen as you were proclaimed to be." Whatever Shortleaf expected to receive certainly wasn't this and her whole mind froze in shock. "I thought that maybe you were overworked, stressed and meticulous to the point of stupidity but no, you are so stupid that you failed to realize that this isn't Stillstorm wanting to make you do your job but it's me doing a full disciplinary probe on your worthless self."

"What?" Shortlead asked dumbfounded at that.

"Congratulations by the way, it's unusual to meet someone who practically admitted that they intentionally refused to do their duty to their Union with their first sending. Usually they try to at least hide the fact somehow; making themselves believe that they were in the right but no, first thing you did was to try and convince me that you would do what you were supposed to be doing. As if I would be wasting my time coming here to just scare you into doing your duty." Tempo mocked the hapless Torret whose mind finally begun to process the situation she was in and as in que Shortleaf begun trying to find excuses.

"Regulations? Really?"
Tempo continued, Shortleaf's mind flaring in alarm at that. "No, you are not good enough to require me touching you in order to read your thoughts. So lets cover this excuse first and since you are apparently stupid I will try to explain things as easily as possible: In regards to Tempest, yes the operating systems were tampered with in contrast to standing orders in regards to cybersecurity; other standing orders however dictate that a commanding officer is mandated to do everything in their power to maintain their warship at peak combat condition. Considering the stagnant state of the official security updates any command crew would be warranted to do everything in their power to make sure that their ship's cybersecurity would be able to withstand any and all possible security intrusions. Them authorizing tampering is indeed against regulations but them doing nothing when their ship is so obviously lacking in areas that negatively impact its combat readiness is also against regulations. Two conflicting sets of regulations, both there for a reason and both warranting severe punishments for breaking them. So tell me, Torret, what should a commanding officer do?" Tempo actually sensed Shortleaf's hesitation at that and easily beat back the desire to smack her, due to her training and discipline rather than a desire to maintain decorum.

"I would ask higher authority for clarification and guidance." Shortleaf replied with mock self assurance.

"You are indeed unworthy of your rank and position!" Tempo sent without even needing to think of her reply. "You are a Torret in command of a station crucial to the war effort! You should know by heart which regulation takes precedent! Your position requires of you to make sure that a ship is fully combat capable when it leaves port! In the tozons you hold your position you have repeatedly failed to ensure that and at least on one occasion you have deliberately diminished Tempest's combat readiness electing to follow the wrong set of regulations and that after agreeing into receiving access to male privileges above your station because you wouldn't allow the ship to leave port otherwise!"

"The unauthorized tampering to the ship's systems were a liability!" Shortleaf protested at that, her anxiety fully musking the sending which made Tempo unable to determine if she fully believed that or not but what Shortleaf believed didn't matter anymore.

"And now that's an admission of stupidity! You are a Torret in charge of system's security for Nezel and all the ships that dock here. A Lashret gave authorization for said tampering in order to ensure that her flagship was fully combat capable, is a Lashret a lower rank than a Torret?"
Tempo asked.

"But the reg..."

"IS A LASHRET A LOWER RANK THAN A TORRET?" Tempo shouted at that, making Shortleaf flinch and nearly fall on her ass from the sudden disorientation.

"...No, it isn't..."

"Then why did you second guess her command authority in regards to her ship?" Tempo asked softly at that, penetrating the fool's mind now that she was disoriented.

"Because... the modifications done were... against regulations." It was clear that Shortleaf paused to think about her reply as she sent that, finally trying to hide the truth like all the other fools who tried to hide their misdeeds, not that it helped any of them.

"A Lashret used her command authority to decide in favor of the regulations requiring her ship being fully combat capable! Or are you telling me that you outrank a Lashret?" Tempo pressed on.

"No...I..." An other long pause to think for answer which Tempo knew wouldn't come close to be an excuse. "I considered her ship to be in risk of a security breach!" Shortleaf sent, hoping that it would save her from her current predicament.

"Did you run a cyber security intrusion drill to come to this conclusion?" Tempo asked.

"The ship's systems were tampered by unauthorized personnel!" Shortleaf replied.

"And again, a Lashret used her command authority to authorize said tampering in order to ensure that her ship was fully combat capable. So I will repeat myself one last time; DID YOU RUN A CYBER SECURITY INTRUSION DRILL TO COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT THE SHIP WAS AT RISK?"

"No..." Shortleaf replied in defeat.

"Without an intrusion drill it's the authority of a Torret against the authority of a Lashret and you have already been reminded that a Torret is the lower rank. So why wouldn't you give the authorization for Tempest to leave port?" Tempo paused at that all in order to cut Shortleaf off the moment she tried to think of a response. "No, don't even think of answering yet; you will only answer with a yes or a no when I am finished! You did so because you knew that any escalation of the issue from then Lashret's Stillstorm part would result in the procrastination of the resolution from higher authorities due to reasons that are completely unrelated to you. You knew that such a procrastination would result in either the delay of the departure of the entire 51st Strike group or the temporary assignment of an other flagship and thus an other Lashret to the 51st for that particular patrol. You knew that Stillstorm wouldn't want either of those outcomes because she isn't a coward and as thus you passed along your desire for more visitation rights, resulting in Stillstorm bribing you with her own rights followed by you deliberately hindering Tempest's combat readiness by deleting all tampering done and reverting the ship's systems to an outdated and thus far more vulnerable state." Tempo concluded and waited for an answer, having already deduced the truth from Shortleaf's mind. "Is this true?"

"I..." Easily sensed hesitation followed by an extreme desire to get out of this no matter what.

"I..."

"The question is simple, is this true or not?" Tempo asked again, Shortleaf finally surprising her with the solution she came up for her current predicament.

"I demand a duel!" Tempo had to force herself not to smile at that.

"Are you certain of this?"

"Yes, your accusations against my abilities and character are something that I cannot stand, I demand a duel!" Shortleaf insisted.

"If you insist." Tempo replied, making a show of her shrugging and sighing as she signaled for Cloud to bring her a tablet for the necessary paperwork.

"Don't smile." She instructed the young Passet as she was about to enter the interrogation room. She sensed her aide stop for a couple of moments before entering the interrogation room in order to recollect herself. When she entered Cloud presented her usual aloofness both in mannerism and thoughts, just walking up to Tempo and giving her the tablet she asked for, Tempo just nodding in thanks before bringing up the legal form required for a duel.

“I trust that you know how to fill this.” Tempo sent as she pushed the tablet to Shortleaf who hastily took it and begun filling the required form, once done she gave it back to Tempo who filled it up in turn before double checking it and applying it for official approval when she was done. Shortleaf made to stand up and leave at that exactly that point, stopping short when the tablet beeped the receipt of a reply, surprising even Tempo.

“What?” Shortleaf asked dumbfounded as Tempo read the approval of the requested for duel.

“It looks like the duel has been approved already.” Tempo replied with a smirk as she pushed the tablet towards her.

“This can’t be right!” The Torret protested as she stood up, not even looking at the tablet. “There is no way that the request was examined properly!”

“It looks like it did.” Tempo replied, all the while keeping her smirk.

“You are lying!” Shortleaf snapped out and slapped her hand on the table.

“Is there a problem?” An all too familiar voice asked from the room’s speakers.

“Yes, Torimor Shadow. Torret Shortleaf believes that an approval for a duel she requested was falsified.” Tempo replied before Shortleaf could even begin gathering her wits.

“It hasn’t been, I approved it myself the moment you requested it.” Shadow replied.

“But... But...” Shortleaf tried to say but Shadow’s even voice stopped her in her tracks.

“I have been monitoring this investigation and I believe that there is no need for an in depth examination of the matter at hand. Torret Shortleaf is accused of willful dereliction of duty, gross incompetence and conduct unbecoming towards a superior officer. The evidence is against her and if she believes that a duel will wash her shame and restore confidence to her person then she should be allowed to do so as soon as possible.” Shadow replied nonchalantly. “I have got to say Parat, you are a piece of art. Managing to rile her up so soon and without bringing forth even half of the accusations you have levied against her.”

“What?” Shortleaf asked in disbelief.

“Sush you.” Shadow said at that, “What’s even more surprising is that you somehow convinced her that you would be the one dueling her.” Shadow added.

“She didn’t even request to duel me, she just demanded a duel and since the accusations I leveled so far were from Tempest I just concluded that she understood that I wouldn’t be the warrior she would face.” Tempo replied with a shrug, never losing her smirk as she looked Shortleaf in the eyes, savoring the surprise and confusion that the fool exhibited both mentally and with her dumbfounded expression.

“What? But...”

“Ah, so you didn’t even have to trick her? Glad to see you back in form Parat.” Shadow commented.

“Couldn’t have done it without Torret Shortleaf’s assistance.” Tempo replied mockingly at that.

“But... I...”

“Does she know who her opponent is?” Shadow asked.

“As a matter of fact, no” Tempo replied and mentally called out for Fireblade who was waiting just outside of immediate sensing range to come and greet her opponent.

“I... This is unacceptable! You Mizols tricked me!” Shortleaf shouted with a panicky shrilly voice.

“You tricked yourself Torret.” Tempo said dryly at that.

“This is a mockery of our traditions, I won’t stand for it!” Shortleaf protested.

“The one who is a mockery of anything is you Torret.” Shadow said with a cold acidic voice that paused her in her tracks. “You have forgotten your place and duties, choosing to shirk from them for your own benefit and well being, all amidst this war. Worst of all, you believe yourself to be superior from those who are above you in rank and status. This is a lesson to you and to everyone who will look into what you brought onto your own self. We all know that rank, status, favor and disfavor are fluid and ever shifting; a wise warrior always remembers that they may be in disfavor today and that they should tolerate today’s abuse because tomorrow their rank and status may rise through their efforts. A foolish warrior forgets this and they inevitably find themselves at odds with everyone above solely because they don’t know their place.”

“Wha...” Shortleaf begun to say, stopping only to gasp in horror the moment Fireblade entered the room.

“I apologize, I didn't come to understand how foolish you are up until now.” Shadow begun all the while Shortleaf couldn’t take her eyes from Fireblade who simply stared down at her with palatable disgust. “All I mean is that when a Soshret wants you to do your job then you would better do it and be happy about it while doing it because that’s your place in the order of things. For your own well being I hope that you will come to understand this, eventually.”

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Thinking that all the issues were finally resolved Alex and Beryl took the long way around returning to Tempest in order to look at the sights together; this time however the market and the various shops of the promenade were completely abandoned, and the few warriors present were walking with an obvious purpose.

“It’s depressing, just a couple of days ago this place was packed.” Alex sent.

“All non-essential personnel have already evacuated and that includes the various civilians that worked here.” Beryl replied, a little dejected from this but happy altogether to be spending some time along with him.

“And here I was wondering if we would be able to go shopping together.”

“Maybe next time...” Beryl replied and frowned a little in thought. “What’s on your mind?”

“It’s awkward but... I absentmindedly asked Tempo to spend some time with me later this afternoon.” Alex replied and Beryl nodded in understanding.

“It’s awkward because you think that you will be cheating on us again?” Beryl asked, mischievous teasing at the forefront of her mind.

“It is not funny Beryl, it’s important!” Alex chastised her.

“I understand but...” Beryl paused to sigh before continuing. “We have talked about this more than once and it all comes down that we Loroi work differently from you. To monopolize a male is a taboo, I know you know this but you don’t seem to understand it. Our history and legends are fraught with ample examples of such monopolization ending in disaster for everyone involved; male and female alike. Our males are not even inclined to become attached to us in such a degree; they nearly universally see us as just another female to copulate with, with an unending line waiting for their turn behind us. I have also gleamed from you that the same is true for some human males as well.”

“Those are assholes.” Alex pointed out.

“For you maybe but for us is different. It’s the natural and societally acceptable order of things. Males are rare and precious, to be protected and cherished. I admit that the thought of monopolizing you is pleasant in its own way but I don’t feel betrayed or even saddened about you meeting, spending time and even sharing yourself with others. I know that you cherish and love both me and Fireblade in a way that would be considered unhealthy in a Loroi male; to my shame your feelings please me greatly but they also sadden me because my instincts dictate to make sure that you have other females to look after you as well.” Beryl explained. “I can tell you that I would be beyond furious if my son was somehow tied to only one female, I can easily accept him wishing to abstain from us and remain celibate, there are more than a few males that willingly lead such lifestyle but I know for a fact that males earn for females. Even if he becomes greatly fond of someone and wishes to spend a lot of his time with her that doesn’t give her the right to lock him up all for herself; such behavior is how blood feuds start even in this time and age and it’s one of the few reasons why I would consider dueling someone to the death for.”

“I get that but...”

“It’s something that your mind doesn’t allow you to understand. I can actually sense that in you.”
Beryl interrupted him and her mind immediately flared with an intent to tease him and make him uncomfortable. “I have also deduced that you would be emotionally hurt if either of us sought another male to copulate with.”

“And now I feel like I am an asshole because that would actually hurt.” Alex replied with a dejected admittance.

“And now you know how I feel when you act dejected because you copulated with someone else.” Beryl teased him at that.

“That’s shitty of me.” Alex replied both for making her feel so awkward and for him having reservations for Beryl and Fireblade seeing other men when he was practically left to roam around.

“That’s not something for you to feel bad about; we have both discussed this and we have agreed not seek out others while we are with you.” Beryl replied reassuringly.

“That’s not fair for you!” He sent, actually stopping in his tracks while doing that.

“You may think so...”
She replied as she came up to him and leaned up for a kiss that he gladly accepted. “But we find the exchange more than worthy. To be loved and be connected with you is more than adequate reimbursement for simply being patient for as long as we are yours.” She sent as their lips separated. “And it’s not like our visitation rights go away if we don’t exercise them. Perhaps we will go on a lengthy binge when our time together comes to an end.” She teased him with a mischievous smirk.

“Alright, alright I get it...” He relented, a self satisfying smile forming on his lips at that. “And now you have made me wonder if that tea house is still open for business. Just the two of us, the warm water, the birds and the view...”

“Unfortunately, it isn’t, I checked.” Beryl replied dejectedly.

“You checked?”

“Fireblade and I were feeling guilty about yesterday’s botched training session and we agreed to look for a way to make it up to you.” Beryl replied. “And we both wanted to know what the fuss is about that place.”

“It’s moments like this I truly understand why I love you two.”
Alex commented while shaking his head with a goofish grin at his face.

“Even if it was open it would have been inconsiderate of us to tire you out when you have already arranged to spend time with Tempo.” Beryl added.

“Are you sure about this? With I and Tempo that is?”

“Yes, she cares deeply for you; dangerously so one could say but they say that for us as well.” Beryl replied with a smile that beamed selfsatisfaction. “Know that the time we have spent together has been the best time of my life, I have learned and experienced so much in such a short amount of time that I wouldn’t imagine before. Fireblade is the same, feeling happy and looking forward to the future for the first time in her life. It’s foolish in it’s own way but we want for Tempo to experience this as well; seeing her becoming so messed up because of what happened saddened us deeply because we both understand that she did her best to protect both you and the Union. Nearly going insane when she believed that she had to choose between the two of you.”

“That’s... a lot of emotional weight you are placing upon me.” Alex replied, Beryl easily sensing how uncomfortable he became at that.

“It’s the truth but don’t feel obligated in a course of action because of it.”
Beryl reassured him. “Just know that we both would be glad, both emotionally and socially, if you did not inhibit yourself so much with meeting others. The only way you would annoy us in that regard would be if you would seek out someone contemptible to mate with. We Loroi may not be able to easily and freely spend time with males but we like the males we spend time with to have certain standards.”

“I know this will annoy you but what kind of standards?” Alex asked her.

“There is nothing to annoy me for, you still haven’t grasped most of our societal norms.” Beryl begun. “In times gone by mating between castes was somewhat regulated, some old caste puritans didn’t like their mating prospects to meet females from other castes but such regulations have long been repealed and individuals with such beliefs are now rare and the behavior is highly frowned up now. All modern Loroi believe that males shouldn’t mate with cowards, lazy layabouts and those who don’t contribute to the common causes. Our visitation right scheme reflects this universal desire. I and Fireblade would certainly have an issue if you somehow begun fancying a coward but I don’t think that there will be such an issue if I am to judge with how you reacted to Shortleaf.”

“Yeah, I understand that.”

“And as for Tempo; as long as you both want each other then know that we both accept her. She has always been aloof and everyone took measures to avoid her because she is a Mizol, one truly loyal to the Emperor at that, stationed on Tempest but now things have changed a little. We have come to know her now, she is dutiful and we are certain that she would be a good friend to have if she allow herself to open up to others. She has been hurt enough already so be good to her.”

“Alright, I understand. I didn’t plan to be an asshole towards her but if you feel so then I will start things over as if nothing has happened before.”
Alex sent at that. “I was wondering though, you never actually talked about your child; you have a son?”

“Yes I do!” Beryl replied happily. “He is my hidden pride! Having a son is rare indeed and it is seen as a point of pride by all but I haven’t really seen him since I gave birth to him.” Her happy mood turned dejected at that. “We don’t really have many, if any, opportunities to see our children due to this war; many die not seeing their children even once after they sent them to the creches. All I can do for him is do my best in trying to win this war so he may live in peace.”

“I am sorry for bringing this up.”

“Don’t be.” Beryl admonished him. “We should know as much about each other as possible, then what’s the point of our relationship and connection?” Her renewed curiosity and happiness brining a smile to his face.

“Why indeed.”

“Although I have to admit that I became a little dejected when I realized that the human hybrid data was falsified.” Beryl added. “You would make an ideal father for any child.”

“Thanks, I guess.” Alex replied awkwardly. “I don’t think that I am ready to become a father yet but thanks.”

“Ah...” Realization brightening Beryl’s face at that. “Human males do like to be part in the upbringing of their children; makes so much sense!”

“The one’s who don’t are assh...” A sudden fiery sensation filled his mind at that exact moment; he knew that it was Fireblade without even needing to think about it. He had never sensed her like this before, fully unleashed and focused on harming someone, the sensation alarming him; not in self preservation but an alarm of worry; becoming fully aware that she was in the middle of a fight she planned to take seriously. At least he thought she planned to take seriously before he inner thoughts became clearer.

“What’s going on?” He asked without thinking, drawing a momentary sense of surprise our of Fireblade before receiving an instant reply.

“I am about to teach a very important lesson to a fool.” Fireblade replied. “Try not to bother me.” She instructed him, more for her target’s sake that her own.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Throughout her 25 tozons of life Fireblade had learned a lot of hard and painful lessons. At one point she foolishly considered herself a ‘true warrior’ because of the hell that was Seren; the Shells there had learned to fear her, the broken and burned husks that she left at her wake being ample proof of her strength and prowess. If there was any bright point of her time in that hell was the fact that she taught every last Shell she came across the meaning of true terror as welll.

Many other Loroi considered her a ‘true warrior’ as well, born during such a brutal war and literally raised in the battlefield; Seren attesting to that. They sought fit to induct her into the Teidar when they finally reclaimed Seren, it was indeed fitting as she had been an unsheathed weapon for as long as she remembered.

Foolishly she clinged to the prideful belief that she was a ‘true warrior’ among unbloodied fools who didn’t know the true meaning of war. Fools who only cared about their traditions, armors and hair instead of being ready to let themselves loose at the enemy with all they had like a true Unsheathed should be.

She kept that belief throughout her early days at the Teidar academy, she knew that she made many enemies there but she didn’t care about the opinions of her lessers. She truly believed herself a true warrior up until the moment they brought out an old relic to teach that she didn’t know better, not at all.

Teidar Rozerrei Lake was ancient even by Loroi standards, seemingly decrepit to all who took notice of her, passing along a visage of weak senility at will until something would catch her attention. Lake took just one look at her and proclaimed for all around to sense that ‘You Fireblade are worthy of wasting my time on’.

Lake wasn’t as strong as her but she quickly demonstrated that she was a true Unsheathed whose blade cut only whenever and whatever she willed; all the other times her blade could as well be described as a blunt object that passed through anything as if it was immaterial, her seeming senility just a well practiced façade put in place so she wouldn’t waste the little time she had left in anything other than the truly important tasks.

To Fireblade’s dismay Lake considered her important enough to have her taste the material blunt object of her choice, dueling staffs. Lake took it upon herself to always carry a staff with her everywhere she went from the moment she considered Fireblade ‘worthy of wasting her time on’ and she would use it to strike at her every time she saw her, making sure to never break bone or draw blood, just smacking her hard where it hurt and leaving painful bruises as a reminder of her ever present interest.

To her horror Fireblade quickly discovered that she couldn’t do anything to stop Lake from doing that. All her mental attacks were simply drowned in the bottomless pit that was Lake’s mind; her brutal telekinetic strikes were simply dodged effortlessly a moment before she received a strong hit to the abdomen which always made her puke her guts out. Lake would simply always come in any time she pleased, strike at her with the damned staff and leisurely stroll out, leaving Fireblade to rub her bruises and clear out the mess she made if she had tried to telekinetically strike back at Lake.

In the end the only way to defend herself was to also carry a dueling staff everywhere she went and try to fight Lake off, not that it did much good; not at first anyway. Lake simply flowed around her staff, striking Fireblade and bringing her to her knees effortlessly the first few times she tried to fight her off. Fireblade’s heart leapt in joy the first time she successfully blocked an attack, only to be swept off her feet and have Lake’s staff stop just before hitting her forehead; with a smile Lake booped her at the forehead with it and then arranged to have sparring lessons with Fireblade every single day going forward.

It was then that the pain really started, before it was simple hit and run strikes from Lake’s part; now each and every sparring session left Fireblade with a few more bruises to nurse while Lake simply walked off unscathed. She improved every time they sparred but the old relic always had a new trick to hit her with. For the next few days the only thing Fireblade could think off was how to land a strike, only sleep offered a reprieve from this obsession but that was not a blessing all things considered.

‘Well struck.’ Lake sent the first time Fireblade landed a hit at her upper right arm; only to then proceed to beat her harder than before all the while taunting her to ‘hit her again’. That was the point when Fireblade begun enjoying the sparring sessions, she still got beaten more often than not but she was hitting back and that was all that mattered in the end. Soon after that the sparring sessions stopped and they finally sat down for their first and last talk.

“Do you know why I consider almost everything I do to be a waste of time?” Lake asked.

“No.”

“I am old enough to consider all time that is not spent in pleasure or fulfillment to be a waste.” Lake sent. “I know my time grows near and there are a lot of enjoyable things I am no longer able to experience, nor am I capable to accomplish any further noteworthy feats; if I had my way all I would be doing with my time would be lazing around, drinking something alcoholic and getting plowed by males. The problem is that I can’t afford to laze around because I want to draw every last breath of life out of my body and I need to exercise in order to do that, I can’t drink because my liver will give out in an instant and I can’t get plowed because I am as dry as a desert and even if I wasn’t no male would get hard with my body. This leaves me with little pleasure and plenty of time to waste and now I no longer consider you worthy of wasting any further time on.”

Fireblade became conflicted at that, on one hand the painful sparring sessions that were forced upon her would finally come to an end but on the other hand she had come to enjoy the sparring and the fights they had together.

“Can you tell my what sort of a weapon a dueling staff is?” Lake asked.

“What do you mean what sort of a weapon? All weapons are weapons.” Fireblade replied, drawing a chuckle out of Lake.

“Yes it is a weapon but there are many different reasons for wielding a weapon and ways to wield it; a dueling staff is ceremonial dueling weapon, initially used when neither of the duelists wanted to kill the other. It is possible to kill with it, easy even when held by well practiced hands but it was always chosen to highlight the desire of both parties being still alive after their duel. The staff can and will cause a lot of pain, break bones and burst one’s lips and nose if the attacker so desires but there lies the cruelty of it; if the attacker desires they can always hit flesh and tenderize their opponent like they are hard meat to be softened. In the hands of an expert it’s a weapon of painful and unrelenting terror, the target of their ire slowly having their body bruised beyond recognition, unable to move as the strikes keep coming in. Then one could start slowly breaking bones, starting with the fingers, then the toes, then the hands, arms and legs, leaving the nose for last in order to finally draw blood and end the duel if the opponent didn’t surrender long before that; not that said surrender mattered in some, now nearly forgotten, cases.“ Lake explained. “When I looked at you, after being begged by a couple of your teachers, I knew that I would have to apply that terror to you.”

“Why? Wasn’t I just a waste of time?” Fireblade asked at that.

“You are still a waste of time.” Lake admonished her. “You will remain a waste of time until you prove yourself not to be, to do so you will simply have to go back into the war where you will have to thrive and survive. You have proven yourself a capable survivor already, the issue is with you thriving.”

“I am more than an able fighter!” Fireblade snapped back only to receive her first ever telekinetic attack by Lake which dropped her right on her ass.

“Thriving in war and fighting in war are not the same thing.”
Lake admonished her. “You can win all your fights all you want but that’s not the same as thriving. To thrive you will have to shape yourself, your allies and your weapons into a complete whole able to not only win a battle but able to decide the very fate of the war itself.”

“Decide the war itself, are you mocking me?” Fireblade asked incredulously.

“I know you are a young fool, otherwise I wouldn’t be wasting my time on you, so no I am not mocking you; you are among the rare few who may decide the war should they be placed at the right place at the right time. You are strong, both in mind and body; your abilities may be hard to control and almost untrainable but that doesn’t detract from your potential; your only issue that negates it is the foolish application of your pride and stubbornness. You were raised by war, you became infamous among our foes and most of all you survived all the horrors that were thrown at you; you would never be able to do all this without pride and stubbornness to keep you sane. Now however you let them get to your head, this academy is a place of learning the art of war; for war is an art to be mastered. The horrid gritty brutality you lived through is just part of it; you were admitted here to learn all the other parts. Your teachers who you hold in dismay because they don’t know ‘real war’ the way you do? They are masters at passing on the knowledge that cannot be self-taught on the field, knowledge that you will need in order for you to thrive. Be stubborn, be proud but be so by becoming a diligent student, not a self-imposed outcast, learn everything that your teachers are able to teach you, correct them when they are wrong so they may become better at teaching future warriors; don’t be what you have been so far. Take all this from decrepit old Teidar who has fought wars for far longer than you have lived for and who has seen more than a handful of gifted fools like you who threw away their lives for nothing because they were too proud and stubborn to bother mastering war.” Lake replied and smiled before continuing. “And who knows, maybe you will find something that you will like the same way you came to like me toying with you with a staff.”

“I have been hitting you more than a few times lately.” Fireblade pointed out.

“That you have but you are far from being good enough to warrant me blooding your lips or breaking one of your bones to teach you your place.”

Fireblade took that entire conversation to heart, she did not become a model student but she did learn everything she could; she even kept practicing with the staff for a little while, if only to beat some sense to any fool that warranted it and now she had the opportunity to do just that with a fool who refused to do her duty in order to benefit herself. That she could not abide, especially when it came to Tempest, she had no intent of losing a ship from under her again and any fool who helped even a little in making Tempest just a little weaker would have what’s coming to them.

Fireblade let her anger at that build up insider her as she stared down at Shortleaf at the other side of the dueling ring, focused all of it at her and then let her mind loose; the instant flinch she saw from the Torret more than enough to bring a small smirk to her face.

“What’s going on?” Alex’s telepathic question momentarily surprised her but she kept her anger focused on Shortleaf instead of having itself shift at him.

“I am about to teach a very important lesson to a fool.” Fireblade replied. “Try not to bother me.” Hopefully Enzin would do that, she would hate to have the lesson come to an early stop because she misjudged a strike and broke one of Shortleaf’s bones.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Tempo was surprised that everything was done according to regulations despite the hasty and irregular nature of the duel itself. For once she was a witness instead of an impartial mediator, there to see things through from Fireblade’s side instead of making sure that rules were upheld. At first there was the issue of Shortleaf lacking a willing witness of her own, which attested to her troubled popularity with her peers and subordinates since many warriors from her department had yet to be evacuated. The issue was resolved by appointing a random Soroin Nozotel who just happened to pass by and didn’t look too busy as Shortleaf’s witness; the duel being a cross caste affair allowing for such a measure.

Then Shortleaf protested against the Mizol Parat that was brought forth as a mediator, citing that her impartiality was at question due to the reasons for the duel and the way Torimor Shadow trapped her. Tempo agreed for another mediator to be appointed and Shortleaf didn’t like it at all when a Teidar Ragan was brought forth; it was a cross caste duel between a Soroin and a Teidar after all. Teidar Ragan Coldriver was the one who took an issue to that, not only was she taken away from her post without notice in order to mediate the duel; now she had a Soroin Torret call in question her impartiality and thus her honor as a Teidar. Soroin Nozotel Ember, already annoyed due to being drafted as a witness, told Shortleaf that it isn’t wise to question a Teidar’s impartiality unless she intends to have to duel a second Teidar that day.

In the end Shortleaf relented and, along with Fireblade, proceeded to take off her armor and was left with her shoes and bodysuit to stand just outside of her side of the ring; waiting for Fireblade to decide her weapon of choice. Tempo actually saw the relief on Shortleaf’s face when Fireblade called for dueling staffs to be brought forth for the duel, an unconventional weapon for modern duels where regenerators allowed even for grievous wounds to be healed in quick order but one which ensured, more or less, that both parties would be alive at that end.

Ragan Coldriver then called for the witnesses to come forth and inspect the weapons. Two dueling staffs made of hard wood, two and a third paces long and shining with a brown polish which attested on how rarely they were used. Tempo and Nozotel Ember took them in their hands and inspected them closely before nodding in approval. Ragan Coldriver than handed the weapons to the two duelists who were allowed some time to inspect and get a feeling for the weapons themselves.

If one would pay close attention to the two duelists they would notice how differently they held their weapons. Shortleaf held hers like it was a long club, she clumsily made a couple of, what must have felt to her, quick jabs at the air and seemed satisfied at the result. Fireblade, on the other hand, held hers with obvious confidence; her hands finding the proper grips easily as she made a few slow and deliberate motions with the staff in order to make certain of her reach with it.

Fireblade then unleashed her focused anger, her fiery mental essence easily sensed by those present, especially Shortleaf who visibly flinched by it; completely unaccustomed to Fireblade’s peculiar mental signature and strength. This sudden eruption reminding Tempo the stark change that Fireblade underwent the past few days, her mind’s anger once barely controlled and always present even when suppressed had become a tool to be used at will by the redheaded Teidar.

“Attention, the duel is about to commence!” Ragan Coldriver broadcasted, drawing the attention of everyone present.

“This is a cross caste duel demanded by Soroin Torret Shortleaf, Teidar Pallan Fireblade stands for Tempest.” Coldriver continued. “Pallan Fireblade’s weapons of choice are dueling staffs. The weapons have been inspected by the witnesses and duelists and were found to be adequate. The duel will last until first blood is drawn or a duelist forfeits the duel. Pallan Fireblade is forbidden from using psychokinetic attacks and techniques under penalty of forfeiture.”

“BEGIN!” Coldriver shouted and both Shortleaf and Fireblade entered the round sandy ring at the same time.

Shortleaf stood at guard, holding her staff as an oversized club in front of her as Fireblade leisurely walked towards her with her staff held horizontally with both hands in front of her. For a few moments Shortleaf was at a loss about what to do but suddenly lounged forward with her staff held high above her head, aiming to bring it down on Fireblade’s head only for the Teidar to sidestep out of the way and thrust her staff like a spear at Shortleaf, hitting her right beneath her armpit and sending her stumbling down with a yelp of pain.

Fireblade struck again, as Shortleaf struggled to find her footing again, landing a strong strike at the Torret left thigh with an audible ‘paf’ reverberating through the small arena as hardened wood met flesh that was protected by a mere bodysuit. Shortleaf tried to defend herself from the following strikes but Fireblade simply struck again and again through the obvious openings Shortleaf left; the sounds of each strike followed immediately by yelps of surprise and grunts of pain.

“Why did the Torret think that a duel would be a good idea?” Nozotel Ember asked Tempo, bemused by the sight that was unfolding in front of her.

“It was either the duel or admitting fault in a disciplinary investigation against her. She thought that her demand for a duel would buy her time but an authority higher than me thought otherwise.” Tempo replied as Shortleaf stumble down to her knees, Fireblade stopping at that and talking a couple of steps backwards.

“Foolish...” Ember commented, disgusted by Shortleaf’s childish attempt to shirk from her responsibilities and just dues. “Perhaps this beating will teach her a lesson.”

“I doubt it.” Tempo replied as Shortleaf stood up again and tried to bring her staff up to defend herself but Fireblade was faster, driving the side of her staff at Shortleaf’s chest with all her strength sending her sprawling back down to the sand, struggling to draw breath. An obvious telepathic exchange between the two duelists followed, Fireblade’s anger flaring briefly in disgust before falling into a fiery determination as she begun thrusting her staff down at the struggling Torret, hitting her back, arms and legs repeatedly with strikes that would certainly leave painful bruises at their wake.

After many solons of an unrelenting onslaught Fireblade stopped and stood over Shortleaf who couldn’t even find the strength to grip her staff while her attempt to stand resulted in her falling down on her ass.

“What’s going on?” Tempo heard Alex ask as he and Beryl came to stand next to her. “Is that Shortleaf?”

“The Torret demanded a duel to clear her honor, Tempest accepted.” Tempo replied dryly.

“Is this because of me?” He asked as Fireblade hit the still downed Torret at the back.

“If you mean the incident you had earlier with her, no it isn’t. Soshret Stillstorm started an investigation on Torret Shortleaf and asked for Pallan Fireblade to be a stand in for a duel in case Shortleaf would demand one to clear her honor.” Tempo replied.

“That’s not a duel, that’s a beat down!” Alex pointed out.

“Torret Shortleaf can end it easily by forfeiting but she is surprisingly stubborn. It’s admirable in a way, foolish but admirable.” Tempo replied as Fireblade glanced towards Alex for a couple of moments before driving the tip of her staff down to Shortleaf’s nose with an audible ‘crunch’, blood immediately flowing out of the Torret’s broken nose.

“Blood has been drawn!” Coldriver announced. “Teidar Palan Fireblade is the winner!” Taking her queue Tempo entered the ring and walked up to Fireblade.

“What punishment do you consider adequate for the slight?” Tempo asked her although she already knew the answer.

“Her hair!” Fireblade broadcasted and in turn Tempo took out a knife from her leg pouch and offered it to Fireblade who immediately took it and went to work on Shortleaf’s hair. The Torret having the presence of mind to not resist as Fireblade grabbed her hair and begun cutting it. Once done Fireblade left a shaved Shortleaf there, sitting beaten onto the sand, among her cut hair and spilled blood.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Mizol Torimor Shadow didn’t have to concentrate to pick up the main telepathic discussion aboard Tempest which happened to be the ongoing duel between Teidar Pallan Fireblade and Soroin Torret Shortleaf. The crew were actually giddy about it, most of them holding Shortleaf to such a level of disdain that bordered to angry disgust. Tempest in its entirety was downright hostile to the foolish Soroin that was currently been pummeled by an angry Teidar...

No, the telepathic chatter shifted to momentary anger at the Teidar for letting the Soroin go off easy, then abject ridicule for the Teidar going soft because of a male asking her to do so before finally settling into telepathic cheer when the Teidar elected to completely shave off the Soroin’s hair as the ship’s due; the consensus ending up being that although the beating could have gone on for longer in order to make a personal point the fact that Fireblade exacted a prize that would both take decades to regrow for the fool who lost it and also serve as a warning to other potential fools when they would be gently directed to lay their eyes on the trophy itself.

For a moment Shadow wondered what the entire crew meant before she realized that the Teidar had actually scooped up all of Shortleaf’s shaved off hair, with the accompanying sand and blood, with the intent to make some sort of artful exhibit out of it. It was... unconventional to be sure but it would certainly improve shipboard morale by highlighting the fact that no fool would mess with Tempest unscathed. She would normally let this stand but her arrangements about Shortleaf’s fate from her side would complicate the issue.

She paused in thought about this, soon realizing that everything could prove to be of use if handled correctly; provided that it was made clear to everyone that the exhibit wasn’t there as a mean of personal ridicule but as the physical price paid for willful dereliction of duty. Satisfied that it could all end up working amicably without effort or issue Shadow continued to make her way towards Stillstorm’s cabin where the newly minted Soshret was busy managing the few urgent issues remaining on her newfound command with Jade’s help.

It had been refreshing, in it’s own way, to witness a newly promoted Soshret manage her command without showing favoritism or playing petty political games with her new subordinates. It could be argued that the limited number of said subordinates wouldn’t allow for much pettiness to take place but Stillstorm refrained from the usual breaking up of squadrons and the shuffling of ship captains to different ships. The situation being what it was certainly didn’t allow for it but Shadow had seen certain Soshrets taking such actions just before the launch of major operations all in order to make sure that ‘problematic’ officers would end up either dead or sidelined. It was refreshing but also dangerous in its own way; it inspired the loyalty of capable officers while allowing the easy identification of those who were better in politicking than being in command, inevitably leading in them being sidelined into inconsequential positions where they wouldn’t be a hindrance to the efforts of proper warriors.

Shadow soon reached Stillstorm’s cabin and paused to mentally recollect herself before announcing herself and request entry, as was proper. Some could argue that since she was a member of a Tazites’s staff and her being there was part of her position’s duties she could have simply announced herself and entered uninvited but the rank of a Soshret demanded respect and the protocol was clear enough. Protocol also demanded that Tazites Duskcrown be the one to personally brief Stillstorm about everything she now needed to be aware of but the Tazites could not spare the time necessary due to the ongoing crisis. A stubborn warrior could perhaps see this as being snubbed off by her guardian matron, and Stillstorm was certainly stubborn to the point of being problematic, but hopefully she would quickly realize that certain briefings could not be delayed until after this crisis was over; every Soshret simply needed to know how things were, run and were planned to run for the foreseeable future. Despite her history Stillstorm was no exception to this, one could even say that her history and known political outlook demanded that such a briefing take place as soon as possible.

“Torrai Soshret Stillstorm, I am here to personally deliver a briefing to you. May I enter?” Shadow sent and was pleased to sense momentary surprise from the receiver of her sending, having succeeded in her efforts to pass unnoticed while getting there.

“You may enter.” Stillstorm replied after a couple of Solons, her irritation clearly obvious in her sending, without an ounce of an attempt to tempering. A stubborn warrior indeed, Stadow thought as she entered the cabin.

Stillstorm’s cabin was indeed as meticulous and austere as she envisioned it, with nary a luxury that was due to her rank to show for, other than her collection of blades on display. She was indeed going to be an interesting Soshret.

“This is a personal briefing meant for the Soshret.”
Shadow sent to Stillstorm and Jade, prompting Stillstorm to simply nod to Jade in response, the Sorimi shutting down her tablet and promptly exiting the cabin.

“A dutiful and capable adjutant, her absence from the Tazites’s staff has been noticeable.” Shadow sent as the cabin’s door closed.

“I have no complaints about her performance.” Stillstorm replied dryly, her irritation still ever present in her mind. Shadow noted that the Soshret didn’t invite her to sit but paid no heed to it, a stubborn warrior who was outspoken about her negative opinion about the reigning Emperor and the Mizol caste from which she came from? This was to be expected of her.

“But I am certain that you are wary about her loyalties.” Shadow replied as she begun studying Stillstorm’s collection. “She is loyal to the Emperor and the Union.”

“As is everyone aboard this vessel and fleet.” Stillstorm replied dryly.

“And as long as everyone remain as such there is no reason to alter the way things are.”
Shadow sent and turned to look at Stillstorm. “I should start by apologizing on Tazites’s Duskcrown behalf on not being able to fully fulfill her duties as your guardian matron at this time but we both found it prudent to inform you of the current state of affairs in the Union as soon as possible.”

“Guardian matron?” Stillstorm asked, actually surprised at that. “I never considered Duskcrown to be such and I doubt that she ever saw me as her protégé.”

“She personally saw fit to promote you without consulting her peers and the imperial cabinet, that alone makes her your guardian matron; any and all failings on your part will reflect onto her alone. I agreed on the necessity of her choice but I did warn her that should this crisis pass that both she and you will be put under close watch by the cabinet and the factions that comprise it.” Shadow replied. “And she has been both protecting you and propping you up long before your promotion; unless you believe that the personnel and officers of quality that have been put under your care are simply here due to their seemingly problematic nature.”

“And I clearly remember all the instances that kept me and mine back from our full potential, even endangering the combat readiness of my ship!” Stillstorm snapped back angrily.

“That’s true, what is also true however is that you have a great grand niece of the Emperor, commanding a ship that is part of the Imperial guard at that, assigned to your squadron. I cannot even begin to count the number of Lashrets and even Soshrets who were willing to pay any favors in order to get such an asset under their command; but the Tazites made sure that Torret Ashrain would end up where she would serve best, with the 51st under your command. Parts of the imperial cabinet questioned the Tazites about the matter, pointedly asking that the posting was obviously in error. Duskcrown replied that she simply heard the request of the Torret in question to be posted under the best strike group commander and saw no reason to deny her as there was an opening available in the strike group that had the best record in the front.” Shadow pointed out. “I can also point out how Mazeit Moonglow is still under your command; there are many difficult Mazeits to go around but few are as capable and decorated as her. There have been plenty who have pushed to have her transferred under their command, discipline record be damned. Soshret Rattlesword had even proposed to have her promoted to Lashret and placed under her command in order to get her away from you. I can keep going but I think that you have wondered in the past about how many of the problematic officers that have been transferred under your command also happened to be highly skilled and potent individuals.”

“I also got plenty of children that were barely out of their dirals!” Stillstorm snapped back angrily.

“You know full well that you aren’t the only one who got fresh recruits that could not be counted upon to survive their first clash with the enemy. We are now the old guard Soshret, all warriors that are capable enough to crew the fleet are either survivors like you or freshly trained youth who are considered lucky to have copulated with a single male in their short lives.” Shadow pointed out. “Which is exactly the problem that we Loroi now face; soon the majority of our front-line warriors will be youth who are fully aware that they were birthed solely because we needed them to fight and die in a war that we, the old guard, failed to win. They need to be handled carefully, both to maintain their faith in a system that has failed them and to avoid having them lash out in fury after they win this war for all of us and then stare back and only see unappreciative relics of a failed past.”

“Tell me something that I don’t know!” Stillstorm replied, her anger flaring up in her mind. “I have been making sure to keep them in line and alive for years now. I know them better than you think!”

“Something you don’t know?” Shadow asked nonchalantly. “It has been agreed by the Emperor, the Diadem and most of your peers that the next Emperor won’t be from Deinar, that they won’t come from the Mizol caste and they would have to have fought for an extended period of time at the frontline, either at the fleet or on the ground. The ranks of Soshret and above will make their nominations and the Diadem will be the ones who will put it to a vote but the next Emperor won’t be from among their number as it was up until now.”

Stillstorm became visibly taken aback at that; both in surprise and shock about the implications.

“I personally see the talks about the change of succession laws as prudent; the Union will need to remain stable when Emperor Greywind passes, hopefully sometime after this war is over. The young warriors who were born to fight in this war must be led by someone they respect and Deinar must give way and accept the fact that the majority of warriors now come from all other parts of the Union.” Shadow sent and smiled at Stillstorm’s expression. “You fulfill all of the criteria that have been agreed upon and as a Soshret you now have the privilege to nominate even yourself as a candidate; the problem is if you agree to play along and drop the issue of the current Emperor’s caste and way of ascension to the throne.”

“You know...” Shadow sensed how Stillstorm paused her thoughts in mid track and reoriented her mind before continuing. “You know that I see it as an affront that a Mizol sits on the throne, your caste simply isn’t capable to represent all other warrior castes. You make an art of dishonesty and misdirection, even doing it among the rest of us.”

“I understand Soshret but remember that we Mizol are the sentinel caste, our purpose is to stop threats before they materialize themselves or warn about the incoming threat should we fail to stop it. Emperor Eight Dawn denied our caste’s petition to pursue our purpose, so confident she was in Loroi martial superiority and she died for her folly when the Shells blew up her ship from under her. Believe what you may about her successor, but you know that Greywind made sure that the Union finally saw the threat for what it truly is and had it mobilize accordingly. The war profiteering scum who had seen fit to hinder the war effort in order to enrich themselves were given their just dues and the traitorous morons who considered caste propriety to be of greater import than the war effort met their end after they launched their ridiculous coup attempt. You may be right that it isn’t the place of those who have ascended from the Mizol caste to lead; many of my caste believe so as well. You cannot deny however that Greywind did what needed to be done no matter the opposition laid against her; she made sure that the warriors got the support and materiel they need to fight this war with all our might.” Shadow responded. “As a Lashret you were an inconvenience, your stubbornness in what you consider proper and your staunch unwillingness to simply show patience until after this war has ended made you mostly unpopular to everyone above you. Inconveniences are usually sidelined and forgotten but you were far too potent an asset to simply send somewhere inconsequential, you were left at the front to either die a hero or survive while being of use. As a Soshret you can be either part of the status quo or a threat to the future of our species; if you choose to be a part of the status quo your opinions will be heard and considered by your peers and superiors, you will receive all rights and privileges that your rank warrants and any who disrespect your rank and fails to show the deference due to you will be punished appropriately. In turn it will be expected of you to show the due deference to the Emperor and your superiors, that you will ensure that both our allies and enemies perceive the Union as an indivisible whole and that you will correct or appropriately punish all those who fail to understand that this war does not allow room for open dissent or anything less than total devotion to the war effort.”

It was satisfying to sense how Stillstorm forced her anger to recede at the back of her mind and think everything through before asking about the part Shadow left out of her argument.

“And If I elect to be a threat?”

“That would require you to be a fool completely unfit of your rank and armor. You will live to see Emperor Greywind die, you will live to see an Emperor who will not be from the power centers of Deinar and you will be part of the decision making process that will shape the future of the Union once this war is over and done with. To see all this, and perhaps even more, all you have to do is focus your full attention on our enemies and ensure that no fools jeopardize the survival of our species because of petty caste politics. We Mizol are the sentinels of the Union, tasked with taking care of unnoticed threats and tasked to give warning of the threats that are to come; in the past you were considered an inconvenience but you were never considered to be a fool. So I ask, are we Mizol wrong in our judgement? Are you an impatient fool who will elect to use her authority to spill Loroi blood? All in order to see an outcome that has already been decided to happen, perhaps even jeopardizing it in the process?”

Shadow made sure to not allow herself to smile when she picked up the vehement disgust in Stillstorm’s mind about the prospect of seeing Loroi descending into a civil war. She knew Stillstorm didn’t trust her and didn’t want to be fooled by a Mizol; a wayward smile could be the trigger for making the stubborn Soshret lash out in anger so she kept her satisfaction at bay. She didn’t expect Stillstorm to readily agree with what was expected of her but she wasn’t a fool; Stillstorm will simply verify what was just passed on to her and then she will do what is expected of her. That was after all the reason of this briefing, a first introduction of a newly minted Soshret to the current political affairs and the decision making process currently underway.

“There is one thing I don’t understand.” Stillstorm begun. “Why tell me all this? Why now?”

“You are Torrai Soshret Stillstorm, there is no hiding from the weight of your duty.” Shadow replied. “And as to why now? Your proper induction in your rank cannot be allowed to be postponed until after this crisis is over. Both Tazites Duskcrown and I may perish in the coming battle and you would be left unaware of the current status quo, unaware of the political leanings and positions of your peers, unaware of what has been agreed upon in order to placate everyone. You cannot be allowed to remain as you are and the Tazites cannot spare the time to properly brief you about everything.” It was then that Shadow allowed herself to smile as the two of them stared each other in the eyes.

“Everyone knows that I was posted on Duskcrown’s staff in order to counterbalance her aggressive tendencies. I am nominally subordinate to her but the Emperor has given me the authority necessary to countermand the Tazites if I think that she is about to make a grave mistake in her haste. Fortunately Duskcrown isn’t a fool and she heeds my counsel without me having to overstep protocol; it took some time but we have learned to work well with each other and my position demands of me to be aware of everything of import regarding the current affairs of the Union. I have been told to inform you about everything you need to know and in turn I will make sure that the Emperor, the cabinet and all of your peers are informed of the fact that you are no fool and that you are aware of everything and what is expected of you.” Shadow sent as she casually walked up to Stillstorm’s desk and stood at attention in front of her. “So tell me Torrai Soshret Stillstorm, what will it be?”

“You may sit down now.”