[Fan Fiction] Spelf Football

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

wolf329

[Fan Fiction] Spelf Football

Post by wolf329 »

Intended as an easy reading one shot...

Master Sergeant Jefferey Kyle and Teider Pallan Rosestar floated by a shipping container anchored to the wall and watched as their respective squads danced across the warehouse criss-crossed with temporary structural members. As Rosestar understood it was a variation on a human physical competition called "football", though he had derided it slightly when he told her how it was played.

"Unless you're an American, football is played with... the feet and... a ball," he had groused in amusement as he tossed the obloid back and forth in his hands while he explained the game. "What you have here is 'hand-egg'. But I digress..."

Regardless of its provenance, Teider Rosestar had to agree it was an excellent method for training in null gravity, especially for the task they had at hand. The widely spaced crossbeams acted as points for a person to fling themselves along by hand or foot, and the nets at either end of the massive storage area made for strategic goals. Currently, it was human versus loroi, and suprisingly enough the loroi team was slightly ahead despite the greater physical abilities of the human soldiers and their familiarity with the game. Sanzai made for quick and clear communication between team members, and as the game had been slightly altered to "touch football (handegg)" rules the usual more brutal methods of play weren't available to the humans. Notwithstanding that a human would try to "accidentally" tackle a loroi every so often, eliciting penalty laps around the play field from Sergeant Kyle to keep things professional. Not that it had happened too much more after the teidars quickly showed they didn't like being touched in that way with some rather aggressive use of sanzai telekinesis.

Rosestar noticed Jeff staring out the nearest window with a furrowed brow. She was about to ask him a question when a good natured loroi shriek brought them both around. He sighed and shook his head with a smile.

"Touch, Teidar Lightsmith!" Rosestar shouted. A purple-haired loroi rolled her eyes and extracted herself from Private Wilson; slender, pale, with short cropped red hair and an interesting skin color variation Sergeant Kyle had explained were "freckles" which most of the younger loroi found fascinating. Naturally, he was the only soldier Rosestar's squad "forgot" to play by the rules with, repeatedly. Good natured ribbing from his squadmates brought a firey blush to his face.

"Five laps, Wilson," the sergeant said.

"What?! She tackled me!" he protested.

"Ten laps!"

"Fawk..." He began to swing around the outside of the room from bar to bar.

"She did, by the way," Rosestar said with a smirk.

"Yeah, I figured, but maybe now they can concentrate better with him off the field for a minute," Kyle said. He glanced out the window again. "Can we really do this?"

"I believe the idea is sound," she said. "Untested, and slightly insane, but feasible."

Capture an Umiak superheavy, intact. Even with whole teams of Teidar, it had failed every time it had been attempted, as the bugs would self-destruct the moment they understood their craft was about to fall into enemy hands. Now with a combined human/loroi team, it was believed to be possible; with the humans providing heavy firepower and the loroi providing technical support via technicians with the ability to interrupted the self-destruct sequence, the command staff on both sides firmly thought they could take one.

The plan was simple. Simple in the way that digging a tunnel through a mountain with a spoon was simple, but simple nonetheless. Stealth strike craft intended to appear as debris, propelled by a uniquely human invention. Their short time of experience with more technologically advanced drive systems meant they still relied on cruder methods of propulsion at times. Rosestar was shocked to learn some of their craft were even propelled by actual, luck defying chemical rockets. And the idea they had for a stealth drive was borderline insane. The principle of a reaction drive was the same across the universe: mass shoved one direction, craft goes opposite direction. So, some human who hadn't come down from the trees recently enough in Rosestar's opinion imagined, why not fling heavy stuff out the back of a craft at really high rates of speed with a shielded magnetic mass driver, and not give off any energy signature at all? And if it got going fast enough, and wasn't sensed by radar, then it could impact an Umiak ship and allow a boarding team to attack unawares.

Absolute insanity. Nevertheless, loroi scientists and tacticians had looked it over, shook their heads at typical human thought patterns, shrugged their shoulders, and gave it the go-ahead for a trial run. Thus the training, to better acclimate themselves to the interior of an Umiak spaceship, whose only firm layouts were known to be complex warrens of tunnels and low gravity, with no two alike. "So we only know for sure the hot stuff comes out the back end of it, huh?" was the way Sergeant Kyle had put it bluntly. However, the risk was believed to be worth it, and the TCA had agreed because the loroi had promised them full access to any captured Umiak vessel. Scout ships had even found a good candidate a few systems away.

There was just one problem.

"You're sure no Teidar can be trained to counteract the self destruct mechanism?" he said.

Rosestar shook her head. "Do you think you could train one of your men to overhaul a drive engine?"

He snorted. "I think rigging up a bootleg still is about their level. Grunts are grunts across the galaxy."

Rosestar and Kyle watched as a loroi engineer struggled onto the field, took the ball (egg), and was bowled over by a flying human in moments before she could make more than a single jump. They both sighed. The plan required speed. Forced entry, pathfind nearly blind to the engine compartment, override the self-destruct, and lock out any of the several hundred remaining Umiak. In low gravity, on a ship centuries more advanced than anything humans fielded which required the presence of loroi. Which in turn required the presence of decidedly non-combat trained loroi engineers.

Gallen Bastobar Fieldwind approached them with a less than enthusiastic expression.

"I apologize for the lack of training my Gallens have," she began.

"It is disappointing, that is certain," Rosestar said, cutting her off.

"Look, we can work around it," Sergeant Kyle said.

"No, we cannot," she replied. "Frankly this is inexcusable. The problem is we have been assigned colonial rear guard Gallens, who have obviously *not* kept up with their null-gravity training."

Jeff felt some pity for the poor loroi technician as Rosestar continued to berate her. He understood why they'd been given REMFs. Considering the high risk of their mission, Loroi high command hadn't been inclined to send the best and brightest on a potential suicide mission. He slowly passed one of the balls back and forth between his hands, and watched the awkward Gallen on the field try and fail to commandeer the ball from a passing human, Private Wilson as it turned out who had finished his punishment. Her grab at him turned into another "accidental" tackle to the sergeant's amusement.

"Gallen Briarwater, you leg spreader, touch! Touch! Not mount!" Rosestar shouted.

Sergeant Kyle snorted to keep from laughing. Private Wilson, amused and probably not all that upset about the loroi hugging him, pushed her away with a friendly shove then winced as her flirtatious smile towards him meant she failed to notice a crossmember coming up behind her head. He jumped to her as she drifted with her hands behind her head, bent over in pain from the impact.

A loroi Doranzer on the sidelines, until now unnecessary, waved at him. "Let me check her out," she shouted.

"I'll send her over," he hollered back with a grin, carefully aimed, then tossed the more embarrassed than injured loroi towards the medic before she could protest. Too far from any of the supports, and unlikely to catch herself anyways, the Gallen scrambled to turn herself over so she could at least see where she was headed. Unfortunately, she was headed at a rather decent rate of speed towards a Doranzer barely bigger than herself.

"Terrence, catch her!" Wilson shouted. A human soldier close to the medic pushed her out of the way before Briarwater hard-docked with her, and caught the flailing loroi in a gentle embrace.

"You okay?" he said. Briarwater, now turned almost entirely dark blue from a full-body blush nodded quickly, and he handed her over to the Doranzer.

Rosestar had covered her face in her hands at the whole scene. She looked up at Sergeant Kyle and was about to apologize when she noticed a strange look on his face. He'd stopped passing the ball between his hands, then as she watched he looked down at them, spread them out farther, and quickly tossed it between them with a flick of his wrist.

~~~~

"Fuck-"

THUNK

"-This-"

THUNK

"-Shit!"

THUNK

Master Sergeant Kyle wasn't sure whose voice that was, but disregarded the outburst as it matched his sentiments. The entire boarding party groaned in unison as each recoil of the "silent" drive slammed them against each other, loroi and human alike, helmets and armor crashing and clattering. Master Sergeant Kyle knew if they survived he was going to have a discussion with the team that came up with the idea yet failed give it any kind of inertial dampening system, especially considering the cramped berth. At impact there were multiple systems designed to protect the crew, but they were one-time, destructive use. The craft itself was expendable when it came right down to it; this was a win or die mission.

"Max vel-"

THUNK

"Velocit-"

THUNK

"-Locity"

THUNK

"In-"

THUNK

"Fiv-"

THUNK

"Four!"

THUNK

"Three!"

THUNK

"Two!"

THUNK

"One!"

Nothing. Every being on the craft held their breath for the next impact, but none was forthcoming. As a unit, they sighed.

"We better get hazard pay for riding into battle on a Pez dispenser," a human said in a voice of relief. That got a laugh from everyone. Sergeant Kyle smiled. Leave it up to humans to make these inexplicable connections, Teidar Rosestar had told him when he mentioned to her what the soldiers had christened the drive and explained what it meant. Some wag in the barracks had even come up with a unit insignia for them, a knight with comically oversized lance saddled to a giant candy shooter with a loroi riding behind him. After the master sergeant had spoken with the artist who agreed with his recommendation that the loroi needed to be wearing more than just a smile, Sergeant Kyle had turned the design over to the quartermaster to make them some patches for some good humored esprit de corps.

"Any response from the Umiak?" Sergeant Kyle said.

"Nothing, sarge," the copilot replied. "They don't even know we're here, for sure."

"Good, because that was one hell of an expensive trap."

Allowing the Umiak to think the TCA battleship was attempting to ram it out of desperation, the bugs superheavy had blasted it apart. Unbeknownst to them, it had been a partially completed hulk coupled to a makeshift drive, and the debris field it was about to push through contained several pieces accelerating towards them at armor piercing velocity, which, god willing, they couldn't detect. The worst of it was the complete lack of knowledge as to just when they would impact the Umiak ship; without active scanning, they had to hope they were in the right direction and could do little more than wait until-

CRUNKCRACKUNCH

Even before the sound reached everyone's ears the compartment had been filled with inertia dampening gelatin sprayed in at unfathomable speed. This time, rather than the repetitive abuse of the way in, the impact was barely noticeable.

"Move! Move! Move!"

The humans and loroi boarders pushed through the sticky mess and the entry team checked the forward hatch. "We got clearance!" one shouted, and the front half of the hull split open, exposing the ruined compartment. Many of the humans grimaced at the carnage in the room now exposed to vacuum, several of the Umiak dashed against the floor and walls by the penetrator craft. Even given their alien forms it was a gruesome scene.

"We have tac confirmation! One, two... Three! All four inside!" the pilot shouted over the radio.

"Lower the volume, and get them situated," Sergeant Kyle said. "Rose, location?"

"Forward sector, I think we might even be on the bridge. CONTACT!" she shouted as she fired several rounds towards a Umiak in a hard suit that had opened the door to the cabin. The humans responded swiftly in kind, and riddled the husk before it could even raise its weapon.

Stunned by multiple attack vectors and unknown yet surprisingly brutal alien invaders, the Umiak staggered before the assault, and two of the Loroi/Human teams made it to the central core area within minutes. Along the twisting path to the engineering area the other two teams stationed human soldiers every few meters. Already the Umiak defenders were starting to fight back harder, but Sergeant Kyle knew it was only a matter of time before they realized the hopelessness of the situation and triggered the self destruct. Their only hope was that it required some kind of command staff to implement, and in addition that a good portion of said staff was smeared under the hardened foamed-steel exterior of a penetrator hull.

"Alright, all hands: Hut, hut, HIKE!" he shouted the code phrase.

Even in the desperate situation Rosestar couldn't help but smirk at the sanzai'd fearful exclamations as the techs were flung along the passageways by the human soldiers positioned just so to make a bucket brigade of tossed loroi. Briarwater herself, who'd turned out to be a highly trained programmer if not a particularly apt handegg player, reached them shortly, and though slightly dazed immediately hooked up to the Umiak computer. A matter of solon later she turned to Teidar Rosestar with a grin on her face.

<It's ours!>

Master Sergeant Kyle put his hand up, palm facing Teider Pallan Rosestar, who after a confused look, returned his "high five".

"Now let's clear out the roaches," he said with a smile.

Post script: let's assume any mistakes in military... stuff is the fact I've been out for 20 years as well as that this is set two hundred years in the future, and as for any inaccuracy in technology chalk it up to plot flexibility ;) .
Last edited by wolf329 on Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:19 am, edited 6 times in total.
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

Snoofman

Re: Spelf Football

Post by Snoofman »

Excellent story and one-shot. I'll bet the loroi love watching men tackle men in American football. Poor Wilson taking the penalty for others' 'mistakes'. But also good for Wilson, getting 'hit' by some desperate blue space beauties.

Oh if only Earth chicks wanted us dudes that badly.

I also can't help but get the feeling that Wilson is English. Maybe Scottish or even South African judging by his "fawk".

As far as realistic tech goes, I too cannot comment how realistic it would be, but so far I'm actually impressed with the tactic they used to fool the Umiak right before boarding. The propulsion system was also not a bad idea. Again, not sure how scientifically reliable or accurate it is, but excellent speculation.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Interesting, yet the perpetually horny Loroi iin the fanfics is beginning to become embarassing to Loroi. They are not like human ladies, so it can be difficult to see tge diffrence

By comparison Talon and the canon Loroi (even Beryl of all people) have a lot more restraint.

I had assumed that sex was a novelty for Loroi, an achievement of sorts, like getting hired on for a job.

Since a large amount of the civillian population actually do without sex, unless I have that wrong. Because last I checked only warriors had the right to mate, and even then the selection of who they get is not completely up to them. Since seeing the same male regularly is forbidden due to 'obsession' (romance) developing, and Loroi seek to separate sex from love since they stay bachelorettes for life.

In other words....while Loroi do indeed care about sex, I read that they bond more telepathically for closeness than they do by touch.

So they are a lot less touchy feely than us, and they are paradoxically, slightly less interested in sex as well, since their emotional needs are filled solely via telepathy and they need nothing else.

Sex is gratifying and pleasurable, but love? They get that from telepathy.

Loroi are arguably less into sex than humans are, but they do connect the idea of males solely with sex because that is what they are for in Loroi society.
Last edited by Bamax on Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Snoofman wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:45 pm
Excellent story and one-shot. I'll bet the loroi love watching men tackle men in American football. Poor Wilson taking the penalty for others' 'mistakes'. But also good for Wilson, getting 'hit' by some desperate blue space beauties.

Oh if only Earth chicks wanted us dudes that badly.

I also can't help but get the feeling that Wilson is English. Maybe Scottish or even South African judging by his "fawk".

As far as realistic tech goes, I too cannot comment how realistic it would be, but so far I'm actually impressed with the tactic they used to fool the Umiak right before boarding. The propulsion system was also not a bad idea. Again, not sure how scientifically reliable or accurate it is, but excellent speculation.

He was accurate as far as Newton is concerened. If you throw a ball in one direction, you will be pushed in the other.

Granted, there are other ways of realizing that the space junk is nothing of the sort, the most obvious is that it is gradually accelerating, and space junk does not do that, it just coasts.

Certain scanning can also reveal heat, which would make the ship even more suspicious. Life support systems generate enough heat to be a red flag...now if all the crew were in spacesuits the whole time that would help some.

Still an interesting story though.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

Well, hence the vague plot-onium "shielding" around the rail gun. :D However, the "foamed" steel exterior (something that is actually a real thing right now and is very cool https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_foam) is part of the "stealth". Given that the principles of "scanning" are unlikely to be any different in the future than RF wave goes out, bounces off something and returns to emitter that extrapolates the position/speed of said object based on reflection, a porous surface that absorbs RF waves would go along way to not noticing said surface when it's approaching at higher velocities than normal.

But I mostly wanted to do a quick joke fic since the image of the "Loroi Fastball Special" was too funny not to, so not that big a deal if it's not accurate. :lol:

You're right about horny Loroi maybe being a little too common in fanfic which is why I mentioned that only the slim and boyish Wilson seemed to garner their attention, although obviously the human men are less discriminating. I agree with your thoughts on the matter as they are based on word of god on the Insider page. Personally, I don't think loroi would be all that attracted to a bunch of bulky soldiers who more resemble Barsams than Loroi males; physical attraction is incredibly subjective and unlikely to be common between individuals, let alone across species' lines. I think I might even edit the part about the humans "accidental" tackles resulting in some firm teidar sanzai rejection in addition to laps around the gym (edit: done).
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

I added some imagery to the story...
#1 Tempo simp

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

wolf329 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:42 pm
Well, hence the vague plot-onium "shielding" around the rail gun. :D However, the "foamed" steel exterior (something that is actually a real thing right now and is very cool https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_foam) is part of the "stealth". Given that the principles of "scanning" are unlikely to be any different in the future than RF wave goes out, bounces off something and returns to emitter that extrapolates the position/speed of said object based on reflection, a porous surface that absorbs RF waves would go along way to not noticing said surface when it's approaching at higher velocities than normal.

But I mostly wanted to do a quick joke fic since the image of the "Loroi Fastball Special" was too funny not to, so not that big a deal if it's not accurate. :lol:

You're right about horny Loroi maybe being a little too common in fanfic which is why I mentioned that only the slim and boyish Wilson seemed to garner their attention, although obviously the human men are less discriminating. I agree with your thoughts on the matter as they are based on word of god on the Insider page. Personally, I don't think loroi would be all that attracted to a bunch of bulky soldiers who more resemble Barsams than Loroi males; physical attraction is incredibly subjective and unlikely to be common between individuals, let alone across species' lines. I think I might even edit the part about the humans "accidental" tackles resulting in some firm teidar sanzai rejection in addition to laps around the gym (edit: done).
Regarding stealth, not bad, but I reckon Umiak may be able to still use LIDAR on it using a nonlethal laser beam.

Not trying to make your work harder, and the story is good enough for suspension of disbelief.

A casual google check brought this up:

Traditional lidar uses the time-of-flight (TOF) of unmodulated narrow light pulse echoes that are reflected from a target to measure distance, and uses the time difference between pulses to measure velocity. ... Furthermore, this system can only measure the average velocity during the differential time.May 20, 2019

So unless that metal is NOT reflecting laser light, then LIDAR can be used to figure out it is accelerating.

There are real materials shown on youtube that totally absorb laser light but I reckon they may not absorb RF waves totally either.

My advice? Don't worry about it. You won't detect something if you are not prepared to look for it.

Since neither Loroi or Umiak value NOT dying as much as we do, this can failure can very well be attributed to overconfidence in suicide preventing the Loroi from capturing their ships.

It's worked thus far, so I suppose being complacent and making assumptions is a hallmark of intelligent life....being not so intelligent at times, human or otherwise.

Teidar acting like that using psychokinesis I can see working very well, since Fireblade is proof of that. Plus reading up on Loroi children shows that Teidar as kids are known for tendencies toward violence, in part I think because other Loroi actually fear them and they already feel like outsiders. Perhaps they want to be like a normal Loroi as a kid, but everything and everyone about them won't allow it. As an adult hopefully they will begin to accept it as a blessing instead of a curse.

Kensai

Re: [Fan Fiction] Spelf Football

Post by Kensai »

Well... The informal/formal of the marines is fine. Espirit de Corp is kinda universal.

This is a cool as hell story... and really ties the Human outside the box thinking in. I'd like to see more with this cast of characters. Fun stuff. Tech oddities are hand wavium and don't detract from the coolness of this piece.
The Philosophical Kensai

Still trying to master my craft...
As all Saints of the Sword do.

wolf329

[Fan Fiction] Spelf Football ... Pre-prologue?

Post by wolf329 »

Several weeks before the hand-egg match...

Across the bay, Marines in dress uniforms stood ramrod straight and square faced. Teider Pallan Rosestar surveyed them carefully as Master Sergeant Jefferey Kyle gave the typical military speech, and despite three quarters of them being male, couldn't find a single fault in their bearing.

Even their position of attention is the same, she mused. Exactly like a diral ready to be given their assignments.

"..Lastly, you will show proper respect to our new allies. This," Kyle said, "is Teider Pallan Rosestar. Consider her a major. You will address her in kind."

"Furthermore," he continued, switching to English from Trade to Rosestar's curiosity, "Our new allies are called the 'Loroi'. I don't want to hear any more barrack names. No more 'spelfs', 'blueberries', or 'elsas'. Do I make myself clear?"

"Sir, yes, sir!" echoed the assembly.

"Good. Company! Dis. Missed!" With some chatter, the unit fell out, and trickled out of the bay. Kyle turned to Rosestar and nodded. "Satisfactory?"

"I will need to see them perform in training, but as far as I can tell, yes," she replied in accented but clear English, delighting in the sergeant major's not quite concealed wince.

"Sorry about that last bit, ma'am," he said. "Just trying to prevent any diplomatic incidences."

"I doubt anyone will instigate a duel over being called a name," she replied. They drifted after the stragglers heading towards the mess hall. "I'm sure we have been called worse."

"Well, may I compliment you on your English? Forgive me if I offend, but I was under the impression that teidars didn't have much use for language skills?"

"None taken. Leadership roles for joint exercises require it," she replied. "I do have a question about the... 'barrack names'?"

He sighed and chuckled. "Ask away."

"I understand 'spelfs' which is hardly offensive and is actually intriguing," she began.

"That's an understatement, but continue."

"And 'blueberries' is odd, but given the color of our skin, recognizable. Although I suspect it also has something to do with... the typical development of Loroi mammary glands compared to human females?"

Master Sergeant Kyle turned a little red faced, but said nothing and brusquely nodded.

"But the term 'elsas' is completely unrecognizable," she said as she faced him and raised an eyebrow.

"Ah. Well." He frowned. "Not sure if it's much better than 'blueberries'. Sorry. I'll, uh, explain over lunch?"

They reached the mess hall and though he pointed out the loroi-safe food dispenser, Rosestar waved it off. After he grabbed a plate the two commanders made their way to the officers mess, out of the noise of the rest of the unit. Normally he wouldn't have bothered, but suspected she would prefer to eat in relative silence versus the cacophony of a company of Marines eating chow.

"So," he said through a mouthful of food, then paused to chew and swallow after she grimaced. "So. 'Elsa' is the name of a fictional character in a movie from a long while back."

"An... elf?" she said, bemused at yet another purely fictional reference.

"Surprisingly, no. She was a human, with, ah, telekinetic powers much like the teidar, only, um, over..." he hesitated. "Ice."

"Just frozen water," she said. "That seems a rather subjectively limited form of telekinesis."

He shrugged. "Well, there it is."

She thought for a moment. "So is it the telekinesis specifically that reminds some humans of this person?" His dodging eyes told volumes; her having chosen to become a teidar had been a great loss to her mizol mother, but she had taught her daughter a thing or two regardless.

"Well... it's, um, the... personality some of the men seem to think the, uh, teidars have," he stumbled a bit. "Standoffish, impersonal. Rather... cold. The lack of speaking doesn't help." He frowned. "One or two of those idiots getting tossed across the cargo hold when they couldn't keep their hands to themselves is their own goddamn fault though. Confinement to quarters for the both of them."

"I think they will quickly understand that outside of a singularly eccentric listel, most loroi aren't going to have much interest in them in that way," she said. "Although, that one smaller soldier, with the red hair and curious speckled discoloration?"

"Ah, Private Wilson, he's got the Irish in him," he said with a laugh. "Ah, an Earth locale with a higher than average incidence of that sort of skin and hair combination."

"Yes, I have noticed several of my adjutants paying some undue attention to him."

"Hmm, not sure if I should warn him, or avoid the subject and keep him from getting his hopes up," Kyle smirked. "Say, you don't have to answer, but uh... what 'barracks names' are going around about us?"

"Hmm." Rosewater thought for a moment. "I will have to tell you a legend."

"I'm all ears," he said and grinned at her brief confusion at the term.

She continued. "On one of the worlds, and we are not sure which one as this story seems to have spread from before the splintering, there was a teidar of great strength, Stonefear. Now, teidars have been viewed with suspicion and given a wide berth at times in our history. Stonefear apparently came from such a time, and one day she was set upon by her enemies. Hiding herself, she knew she couldn't fight, but had no way of evading her foes."

"Sanzai makes stealth mostly worthless I suppose," he remarked.

"Quite. So using her considerable, and understand this, purely mythological power, she formed a warrior out of the very earth and rock surrounding her, and set it upon her foes. Because it was made of rocks and therefor had no mind to detect, it surprised and defeated them. Afterwards, it accompanied her for many more legends. She called it 'Perrein Mibel', though that is a rough translation of an old legend in a different language unrelated to Trade, and listels tend to believe the name is a later addition to the story."

"We actually have a similar old story," Kyle said with a bemused expression. "A holy man built a creature out of soil and mud to defend his people. So just like the, ah, 'Perrein Mibel'; a large, bulky protector, with no mind-"

He stopped with a fork halfway to his mouth. "Ah."

"Yes." She smiled briefly. "Exactly."

He laughed. "Well, I suppose we've called each other worse than 'golems'."
#1 Tempo simp

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Wilson's friend: Don't worry, Wilson. Earth girls might not be into short lads. But these loroi girls have a thing for the little man... if you know what I mean. When we get to Union space, we'll be drowning in a sea of the universe's most beautiful women.

Wilson: Right! We'll have to beat 'em off with a stick!

Excellent chapter. And great addition to Outsider mythology. And making an interesting connection with the golems.

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

Only issue I saw was them calling Master Sergeant a sir. Aside from that, I didn't see any issues here, and I loved it.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Just read this - thank you for the laugh! I agree that just having the loroi go after all the humans would have been a bit much, but just having them go after "poor" Private Wilson was a great touch. And Rosestar admonishing Briarwater was hilarious. Too my shame, it took my awhile to figure out what spelf meant versus the other nicknames.

Thank you for the story.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

inxsi wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:34 pm
Just read this - thank you for the laugh! I agree that just having the loroi go after all the humans would have been a bit much, but just having them go after "poor" Private Wilson was a great touch. And Rosestar admonishing Briarwater was hilarious. Too my shame, it took my awhile to figure out what spelf meant versus the other nicknames.

Thank you for the story.
I try to bring out the lighter side of the often grim Outsider Universe, glad you enjoyed it.
#1 Tempo simp