Wind and Fire

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Cthulhu

Re: Wind and Fire

Post by Cthulhu »

Snoofman wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 7:26 am
I'm just gettin' warmed up! 8-)

Sorry to disappoint ya'll that this post is merely a comment and not a new chapter. I have been exhausted from work and trying to figure out how the next chapter will role out. And more sorry that I will be heading to Ireland for a week where I shall be appointed Godfather. So the updates will likely be delayed. But I swear the next chapter is coming. With that said, be safe folks, work smart... and be as AWESOME as physically possible.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL!
Congratulations on your appointment, and try not to die due to alcohol poisoning!

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Author's note: At long last, after overcoming writer's block, workrelated exhaustion and breaking my Youtube addiction, I have finally cranked another chapter. Hopefully the next chapter arrives soon. I hope you enjoy. Again, the drawings are courtesy of Wolf329. Thanks again dude. You have improved your talent.

-

Wind and Fire - Chapter 24

-

Ben ran.

He ran through the empty streets of Grind’s colony. Everyone was gone. His friends. His mother. The people. All just gone. The world felt so empty and lonely.

“Mom!” Ben cried out desperately through the abandoned streets of Grind, his voice echoing off metal-cast houses. “Please come back!” He wiped his cheeks with his sleeves, unable to hold back the tears.

>Ben.<

Ben spun around to find Grey standing a few paces away.

“Get away from me!” Ben sprinted into a run.

>Ben, wait!< Grey chased after him.

Passing by the abandoned houses and storage units, Ben found the place that had once been his home. His and his mother’s. Narrowly missing Grey’s grasp, Ben bursted through his old house’s door and slammed it shut, locking the loroi out.

Grey smashed her fist against the door. >OPEN!< she roared. >BEN, OPEN THIS DOOR!<

A confused and frightened Ben fell to his knees, his back resting against the door. “Go away!”

>Ben, please open,< Grey begged him.

“I thought you were my friend,” Ben whimpered, clutching his head in his hands.

Grey stopped beating the door as she rested her elbows against its cold surface. >Ben, I’m just trying to help you.<

“Friends don’t say mean things to each other,” Ben tearfully spat back.

Grey sighed as she rested her forehead against the door. >Ben, I am not trying to hurt you. But you cannot run from the truth. Lagertha is gone. She left you.<

“It’s not true!” Ben shriveled up as he tucked his legs in, burying his head into folded arms and let the tears stream out. “Please stop. It’s not true.”

>I know it hurts, Ben,< sent Grey. >But what is done in the past is done.<

>Use your powers of influence.<

Grey was momentarily alarmed but relaxed as she recognized the faceless voice. >I can’t,< Grey sent back to the voice.

>I told you that reasoning with him was pointless. Use your powers of influence to erase his memory.<

>Don’t make me!<

>You must. If you wish to keep him, you must.<

Grey wanted to protest. To tell the voice to go shred itself. But the voice assured her that using her telepathic powers on Ben was the only sure way to ensure that she never lost him. Unable to bear the thought of losing Ben, Grey obeyed and reached with her psyche out to Ben. Even though his lotai partially concealed his mind in the dream world, Grey suspected her influence could reach him.

>Ben,< Grey commanded with glowing eyes of azul. >Open the door.<

A moment passed. Nothing happened.

>Ben… let me in.<

“I-” Ben stuttered, feeling unusually passive. His stopped shedding tears, his muscles relaxed. Though he wanted to fight back against this new sensation washing over his senses, he could not help but feel that he must obey. Futilely he said back, “I… don’t want to…”

>You must let me in, Ben,< Grey commanded gently. Power of influence hypnotized a target into an idle state, rendering them docile enough to obey whatever commands a Mizol sent out.

Slowly Ben’s desire to defy crumbled and mindlessly climbed back to his feet.

Grey smirked with triumph as she heard a metallic click from within the door. Ben slid the door open, staring out into nothing. His head slowly tilted up to meet Grey’s gaze. Grey’s smirk fell away as Ben’s lifeless expression disturbed her.

Grey resolved: I’m doing the right thing. I’m doing this for Ben. I’m doing it for me.

Extending both hands, Grey commanded, >Come to me, Ben.<

With limp motions, Ben took one step after the other until he was within Grey’s grasp. Gently encircling her hands around his skull, Grey’s influence reached into Ben.

>Let go of your pain, Ben.<

“Wha…?”

>Why do you cling to that terrible woman who gave you up?<

“But… but she didn’t… she just…”

Grey’s blue thumbs tenderly wiped the wet stains on Ben’s cheeks. >Lagertha left you, Ben. Because she never loved you.<

“Grey… what’s… what’s going…”

>Don’t be afraid, Ben. Do not be weighed down by sorrow. You do not have to suffer anymore. I will not let you.<

“Grey… please…”

>Just let go, Ben. Now… let me in.<

Slowly Ben’s resistance slipped away, unaware of the spell being cast over him. “Mom… Mom… is… is… someone…” Ben felt as if a fog had been cast over his senses. The memory of his mother flickered like a candle. But the fog dimmed it’s light, it’s presence growing thicker.

>Yes, Ben. That’s it. Just let go. Forget about Lagertha.<

“L-Lagertha?”

>Well done, Grey,< the ominous voice sent. >You have him under your control. Now use your powers to suppress his memory completely.<

The fog in Ben’s mind darkened. The memory of Lagertha’s face was fading. “M-M-Ma…” Tears rolled down his cheeks.

Grey stopped. Her throat tightened and her muscles seized. Something was stopping her.

>What is wrong, Grey?<

>Nothing,< Grey sent back, regaining her composure. But try as she might, Grey could not use her powers on Ben any further.

>Just do it, Grey.<

Grey gazed down at Ben. The poor boy looked so helpless. So lost and confused. He was suffering and all Grey wanted was to take away his pain and make him forget about Lagertha. The human that only caused him pain. But seeing his face so lifeless and powerless. So stricken. It disturbed her.

>He is under your influence, Grey! Use your powers.<

>I…< Grey’s hands fell away. Droplets threatened to leak as her azul eyes lost their brilliant glow. >I… can’t!<

Free from Grey’s influence, Ben slowly came back to his senses. Grey’s spell was broken. Remembering the awful thing that Grey tried to convince him, Ben dashed away from Grey, crying.

>Stop him!<

>I can’t do it,< Grey whimpered. >I don’t want this!<

>Do it!<

Grey sent back angrily, >NO!<

Her anger made her think back to the Perrein woods. To the unbearable heat. To the place where her powers were first activated. Grey could almost feel the heat waves washing over her. And the pain of the flames that came so suddenly. And of Greenscale. Standing there in those burning woods with that terrible smirk.

>I know what you did,< she sent.

Suddenly shivering with dread, Grey clutched her head, crying out, >STOP!<

-

Greywind woke up. Tempo hovered over her with burning eyes that slowly faded back to dull crimson. With a sigh of defeat, Tempo sat back down on the mattress. Ben was still slumbering by the Emperor’s side.

>It failed,< sent Tempo.

>Again?!< Greywind sent aggravated. >But that’s the fourth time now.<

Throughout the night, Tempo had guided Greywind through the dreamscape. Therein Tempo would instruct Greywind’s younger self to seek out Ben. And each time Tempo instructed Greywind to use her powers of influence on Ben to change his state of mind, Grey would gradually bring Ben under her control. And each time, Grey would hesitate and lose her focus. Something was bothering her. Something traumatic.

>Shred,< Greywind cursed. >This should be easy. And yet…<

>Emperor, if I am not mistaken it seems some suppressed trauma may be the root of the issue,< sent Tempo, having received flashes of Greywind’s painful memories. >Perhaps if we confronted these traumas, we may have an easier time proceed-<

“No,” Greywind said firmly, effectively blocking Tempo out.

The younger Mizol was taken aback by the Emperor’s outburst.

Greywind looked down at Ben and was relieved that her speech did not wake him. The old Emperor sighed. Regaining her mental composure, Greywind cautiously climbed out of bed.

>Come sit with me, Tempo.<

The two sat down at a small sofa away from Ben. Tempo lit a dim hover lamp to offer some illumination. For a few moments, the two just sat in silence.

>Your highness,< Tempo took a chance to talk. >Forgive me if I seem to have offended-<

>I am not angry at you, Tempo,< sent Greywind while safeguarding her troubles. While sanzai was direct and truthful, Greywind had centuries of mental discipline to be truthful while concealing secrets. >My early past is not a happy topic.<

>I understand, your highness,< sent Tempo.

>Tempo, I have been more vulnerable with you than I have with most loroi not of my kin or of inferior rank. You have learnt more things about me than even my own Diaderets.<

>Yes, Emperor.<

>Do you believe in me?<

>Emperor, I have always been dutifully bound to you. I swear that I believe in you wholeheartedly.<

>Even when I made horrible decisions as commander-and-chief?<

>Your highness, you had the bravery to do what no one else was willing to carry out during the Great War. And besides, however horrible such decisions may have been, they were necessary. And trivial compared to the terrors the Umiak Hierarchy inflicted upon our Union. And would have further inflicted had they prevailed.<

>Do you ever feel guilt, Tempo?<

Tempo was caught off guard. >Guilt?<

>About your past? About the difficult choices you had to make?<

Tempo was silent a moment as she contemplated the Emperor’s inquiry. >I… admit… most of the time… I feel no shame at all. But occasionally I think back on the loroi we lost as we tangled with the Shells. How I had to advice Commander Stillstorm to place loroi in harm’s way for strategical advantage. How I was forced to urge loroi, sometimes with a bit of Mizol persuasion, in order to boost their morale. Even compelling them to carry out a necessary sacrifice for the good of the group.< Tempo sadly thought back on her past. >Sometimes I cannot help but wonder if that is why Enzin fled.<

>Tempo?<

Tempo exhaled sadly. >When my comrades, Enzin and I were stranded at the Leido Crossroads and stumbled upon by the Umiak cruiser, I had a plan to take the enemy vessel by force. But it required a sacrifice.< Flashes of Soroin Cloud came forward. Including the sad look in her eyes as she stared back at her comrades, including Tempo, one last time. How she fought back the tears before ending it all with a single shot.

>I remember your account, Tempo. You were placed in a difficult situation. Soroin Cloud understood her duty and carried it out proudly so that you could deliver the envoy of a newly discovered nation.<

>And yet, Emperor, I am still the one who ordered Cloud to do it. The Tenoins did not like it, but shrugged it off as a necessary sacrifice. After all, we both know how obsessed Tabens can be when it comes to death and fate. Fireblade sucked up the pain, as she usually did in her cold manner. Beryl was quite saddened but accepted it. But the Soroins, Reed and Flint… initially they voiced no thoughts and carried out their objectives. Until we rendezvoused safely at Nezel with our allies. When we were at Nezel citadel and finally able to take some off-duty, I made to sit with Reed and Flint. While Cloud was no relative or close friend of theirs, some members of the same caste share a kinship that goes deeper than blood. They undoubtedly had shared the details of Cloud’s sacrifice with some of their fellow Soroins. Which would explain why they all left the table to avoid me. But not before one of the Soroins verbally muttered, “puppeteer.”<

“Puppeteer” was most often used as an insult toward Mizols who were particularly good at hypnosis and influencing target minds.

>I have lived with my choices,< sent Tempo. >Yet I cannot help but think that maybe Cloud’s death gave Enzin pause to trust the loroi. Followed by the numerous other sacrifices we had to make during the Umiak's massive attempt at invasion. I cannot help but feel ashamed that I could not dissuade him from fleeing-<

>Nonsense,< interjected Greywind. >Alexander Jardin’s loss of faith in us was inevitable. He chose to flee. He chose to become a fugitive.<

>I could have prevented that,< Tempo thought informally, momentarily forgetting whom she was addressing. >I could have reasoned with him. If Fireblade and Beryl had not assisted with his escape-<

>Alexander Jardin was brilliant and ambitious,< sent Greywind. >Even with his lotai I could tell that he was a warrior yearning for greatness. To leave a historic mark. But he could not stomach the necessary sacrifices that come with it. The loroi won the war and crushed the Hierarchy not merely to survive, Tempo. But so that we could afford once again to enjoy a renewed era of peace. I did not become emperor to be loved and admired. I know what many in the Diadem and Alien Assembly say about me; warmonger… dictator… tyrant. I neither deny nor feel ashamed of my own ambitions to reform the empire. Nor do I regret transforming the Union into an engine of total war to oppose the Hierarchy. It had to be done… because no one else was willing to do it. To me guilt is like a distant cloud, storming beyond the horizon. Kept at the back of my mind. But… there are times when the cloud spreads until it obscures the sky. And amidst the nostalgic, lightning flashes, I see flickers of my past lain bare before me. My triumphs… and my failures. Guilt is not a foreign feeling to me... but I cannot allow guilt to hinder my work... our work.<

Tempo grew bold as she sent, >Emperor, forgive me, but… it is strange that you should bring up the subject of guilt. Is… that what you think is hindering you from using your powers in the dreamscape?<

Greywind eyed Tempo intently.

Tempo lowered her gaze shamefully. >I am sorry, your high-<

>I don’t fully understand what I am feeling myself,< Greywind admitted.

>…Emperor?<

>I should be able to subjugate Ben to my powers of influence in the dreamscape. And yet I cannot bring myself to do it. Or rather, my younger self cannot.< Greywind’s gaze tilted down ever so slightly. >Maybe Brightsword is right. Maybe Ben really is influencing me. What if he is more dangerous than we we’d like to admit?<

>Emperor, I… it would be foolish to assume the contrary. There is still so much we do not know about the human psyche. And yet I cannot imagine a human child, a creature with no previous telepathic skills, could possibly override your mind and judgement. Besides, I am here. I would not allow it.<

Greywind shifted her gaze toward Tempo. >You are wise beyond your years, Tempo. Do you know why I arranged for you to be under my employ?<

>To assist you in human-loroi exchanges. To which I hope I have lived up to your expectations, Emperor.<

>That is certainly so, Tempo. But there is more to it than that. Although Teidar Fireblade initially seemed to be the only loroi whom Alexander Jardin bonded with, unconsciously and subconsciously, you were the only other loroi who was able to exploit their link to get a glimpse into a human mind. You and that Listel Tozet Beryl. If she and Fireblade had not gone rogue, perhaps we could have further explored the human-loroi link and learned to bypass the human lotai early on.<

Tempo looked down in contemplation.

>What’s wrong, Tempo?<

>Forgive me, Emperor, but I must ask a question… if it seems not too bold.<

>You may, Tempo.<

>What do you hope to win from humanity?<

>Had I not been obvious enough during the conference?<

>Yes, your highness. But what I mean is what do you want from humanity? You have shared political and practical reasons for wanting to win humanity as a Union member. But is there nothing more? Is there some personal desire?<

>That is indeed bold, Tempo.<

Tempo lowered her gaze in shame.

Greywind sighed and confessed, >I want to get to know humanity so that I may better understand myself.<

Tempo arched an eyebrow as she looked back up at Greywind. >Emperor?<

>Tempo, do you believe in the theory circulating lately that the humans are our template race?<

Tempo stared at Greywind astounded that she should ask such a controversial thing.

>Tempo, I want your honest opinion.<

>I… admit I am not comfortable with the idea,< sent Tempo. >I truly believe we are the Soia’s heirs and rightful inheritors of the Local Bubble. And yet… I remember something Beryl shared during our stranding at the Leido Crossroads: “The universe is what it is without regard for our beliefs.” And so I cannot help but wonder from time to time… if it’s true. But I don’t want it to be true.<

>Why not?<

>Because, your highness, if humanity is the template race of the loroi and our ancestors were merely products of the Soia’s bioengineering efforts… then what claim do we have?<

>All the more reason why we must bring humanity into our folds,< Greywind insisted. >If it is proven that the loroi are not the true Soia, the Union will not collapse overnight… but it will destabilize. And what's worse it would drive some loroi mad for fear of being obliged to concede to humanity. Can you imagine the outrage of the Diadem, being forced to acknowledge humanity as our equals? Humanity’s very existence could threaten the foundation of the Loroi Union. But it could also be the key to holding it together.<

>How so, your highness?<

>By making humanity a Union member, the alien races’ faith in us could be solidified. Imagine if humanity can be persuaded to join us, giving the aliens reason once more to revere the warrior race.<

>That seems feasible, Emperor. And a goal worth striving for. But if humanity never chooses to join willingly, your highness? What then?<

>Then it must be subjugated. Though I don't know how. Many schemes have been suggested. We must wait to seize an opportunity.<

>But I still don’t understand, Emperor. Why do you need humanity to better understand yourself?<

>Because if we are indeed created in humanity’s image, then it proves ultimately we are human ourselves.<

Tempo stared shocked at Greywind for such a strong statement. >Emperor!<

>And what’s more… it seems to prove that the Soia made us to be violent instruments to enforce their own will on the galaxy. All the pain… all the bloodshed… the eons of conflicts throughout the Reign of Chaos was because 'war' was programmed into our very heritage. And without the Soia’s overwatch, the precursor loroi, unprepared and undisciplined with their powers, were doomed to crumble into disunity. Without guidance and adherence to the law, we may be doomed ourselves. But the humans, despite their inherent flaws, ascended faster than any other known race. A flawed, corrupt, sneaky yet capable species. Following the Great Schism of the Soia Empire, it took the loroi over two-hundred thousand years to reunify. The humans, however hazardous their own history, unified and achieved interstellar travel in a fraction of the time.

>Ben’s breeched lotai gives me a chance to understand what a human is. How they think. How they react. Why they feel as they do. I do not place all my hopes on it. After all, it is just a theory. But if we can understand what makes a human… well, human… we may very well better understand ourselves. The loroi, armed with such revolutionary insight and led by a vision of our crafting, could reforge itself into something greater than any civilization that came before. We would surpass even the Soia. Imagine the created outmatching its creator. I did not get to choose the life I was born into. My purpose was decided for me before I was even conceived. I was bred to be a warrior. Trained for it. If that is my destiny, I embrace it… but I will embrace it on my own terms.<

Tempo at this point was speechless. Here was a side of Greywind she had not seen before.

Greywind sighed. >I have ranted enough on this matter. Retire, Tempo. You may rest as long as you wish. Take the day off tomorrow.<

>But what about Ben, Emperor? What about the Diadem? They are still expecting-<

>If my Councilors decide to heckle me, I will deal with them.<

Now starting to feel how exhausted she was, Tempo made for the exit.

>Tempo,< Greywind called out one more time. >I have shared more with you in confidence than with anyone else. Do not betray that trust.<

>I will not, my Emperor.< Giving one final bow before turning heel, Tempo left for her room.

Greywind retired back to her bed where still lay Ben snoozing away. At some point the little boy had shifted, now lying on his stomach, his face turned toward Greywind. Again Greywind broke the no-touch rule and gently traced her right pair of fingers along the edges of his shoulder blade. Touching brought back the warm feelings.

Tranquility.

Peace.

Contentment.

Greywind recalled accounts of loroi that made physical contact with humans, ranging from ordinary to outright bizarre. Some reported delightful sensations. Others experienced levels of intimacy that seemed only possible through sanzai. Though a few described feeling bliss along with seemingly alien emotions.

The old Emperor’s pondering was interrupted as Ben shifted again in his sleep, his fingers unknowingly sliding into Greywind’s left palm.

“Mom,” he mumbled, snoring gently away.

That word made Greywind realize something. Dismissing the possibility that Ben had his own powers of influence would be foolish. The strange feelings she had when being close to Ben made her wary of hidden capabilities he might possess. But Tempo had a point. It seemed very unlikely that a mere human child could have that sort of mind power. Either these strange sensations were imprinted into her by Ben. Or they came from within herself.

Greywind had a good idea of what she was feeling now. Doting over Ben. Wanting to spend time with him. Feeling an instinct to provide comfort when he seemed in distress. Greywind understood that she was feeling maternal affection. While these emotions were not foreign to Greywind, being a mother of four daughters, loroi mothers did not cling to their children. At least not the warriors. Greywind remembered when she gave birth to her first child centuries ago. How overwhelmed she was with joy to have fulfilled every warrior’s duty by giving her family and Union a new loroi that would bring honor and glory. She also remembered the pain of having to give her daughter up to the creches, but was consoled by the caregivers that took her away. They told Greywind, “These feelings of attachment are not uncommon, but will pass within a few days.” And they did. It became easier to let go of her next three daughters she birthed in succession.

Humanity mothers, on the other hand, were deeply attached to their children. Some humans even felt unaccomplished and lonely without a child. Some were so fiercely driven to love and protect their own children that they would forsake duty itself. They would rather die than give up their child. Save for the seemingly vile ones like Lagertha.

Is that what Greywind was feeling? If it were true that humanity was the loroi’s template race, then it might explain all these strange feelings swirling in her mind. Perhaps these feelings were some suppressed, instinctual desire. Awakened by human presence. Whether from Ben or from within herself, Greywind understood that she could either suppress them or explore them. If the loroi really were created in humanity’s image, then what better place to start than with the bond between her and Ben.

As long as it does not compromise my plans or my duty, thought Greywind. Indeed duty and self-imposed rules told her to withdraw her left hand from Ben’s. Instead Greywind’s thumb gently stroked across Ben’s smaller digits as she slowly drifted back to sleep.

Stroking back and forth.

So soft.

So warm.

There was something so relieving about touching this little creature. Watching him doze. This lotai-concealed bundle of mystery.
Last edited by Snoofman on Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

I'm really looking forward to Greywind finally confronting Ben's mother...
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

beautiful story. Thank you.
And thank you, Wolf, for the illustrations.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

So, who's in charge now, Ben or Greywind? :P It seems like the old Emperor is becoming soft with age...

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Cthulhu wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:04 pm
So, who's in charge now, Ben or Greywind? :P It seems like the old Emperor is becoming soft with age...
To think Grey has to convince herself Ben must have some hidden power to make her act that way, because the idea of being a nurturing mother is both alien and scary.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

raistlin34 wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:30 pm
Cthulhu wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:04 pm
To think Grey has to convince herself Ben must have some hidden power to make her act that way, because the idea of being a nurturing mother is both alien and scary.
Interesting analysis.

Greywind isn't trying to convince herself of Ben having some secret power, but rather she is being wary if Ben does in fact have hidden capabilities. Greywind, in this story at least, is a Mizol and a pragmatist. I think it's a safe bet that many people, loroi or otherwise, that she dealt with had some ulterior motive or tried to influence her, with or without telepathy. And everyone here can probably guess how she handled such people.

Now she must deal with a human child that makes her feel a certain way. I think it's a safe bet that, with or without sanzai, people who start feeling funny when in the presence of others would get concerned too.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

On the one hand, Greywind doesn't want to acknowledge that an old, hidden trauma might be the reason why this nefarious Mizol mindtrick doesn't seem to work. On the other, she should also know what motherly attachment means, there are certainly enough Loroi that raise their children or at least keep them close by.

The issue might be that both points are unseemly for a warrior, or The Warrior. The Emperor cannot admit having a weakness, even if it's some repressed trauma. Raising children personally is likely a "weird", or even a civilian thing, after all, forming attachments is frowned upon.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Author's note: In hindsight the Lion King bit in chapter 11 was a bit cringy. So I have deducted that bit and replaced it with something I think a bit more... intriguing... or at least I hope you the reader will think so. As well as any other Lion King references in the following chapters.

Images courtesy of Wolf329, whose talent improves with every post. Thank you and keep it up! :mrgreen:

-

Wind and Fire - Chapter 25.1

-

Grey sat on a nearby root of a fungal tree. Too restless to sleep. She passed the time by spinning a mushroom cap above her hand. Cliff rested nearby, snoring away. The forest seemed to howl as wind passed in-between the trunks.

Beetlejuice returned, kneeling down beside her patient. After Grey failed to find anymore coca leaves, Beetlejuice decided the next best option was to put Cliff under. If they could not numb Cliff’s pain, then at least they could sedate her, though Beetlejuice had reservations.

>Cliff is asleep,< Beetlejuice sent surprised. >What happened, Grey?<

>You were gone too long,< sent Grey.

Beetlejuice took notice of the mushroom cap Grey levitated above her palm. Her brief suspicion was confirmed upon noticing Grey’s glowing, cerulean eyes. >You put her under yourself, didn’t you?<

>Yes.<

>So your Mizol powers have activated. How long now?<

Grey shrugged. >A couple days.<

>I envy you. Unlike most of the Perrein pure-bloods here, I’m a mixed breed. My father was Perrein, but my mother was an outsider. I don’t even know if I’ll get my powers.<

> Power activation is random for everyone. Some get it early. Some later on in life. I’ve heard stories of Unsheathed initiates that were accepted into the Teidar Academy when their powers didn’t activate until they reached one hundred plus years.<

>I don’t want to be a hundred years old for my powers to activate. If I get them at all.<

>Don’t put yourself down, Beetlejuice,< Grey consoled her. >Powers or none, you would make a fine Doranzer if that’s where fate takes you.<

>Kind of you, Grey,< Beetlejuice sent with an appreciative grin. >So how much can you lift with your mind?<

>Did you seriously just make a ‘mind’ joke?<

>No, seriously, how much can you lift?<

Grey sighed. >The heaviest I can lift is a fist-sized rock. Though I’ve managed to lift several light items without much effort.<

>What’s it like?<

Grey raised an eyebrow at Beetlejuice. >What is what like?<

>When your powers activated? What did it feel like?<

>It’s hard to explain, Beetlejuice. I suppose you could say it’s like waking up.<

>’Waking up’?<

>Do you remember the moment you were born, Beetlejuice?<

That was an odd question. >Well, no.<

>Neither do I. The earliest I remember is sitting upright for the first time in my crib and seeing my mother’s stern eyes staring back at me. I must have been about six months old at the time. But I can’t remember anything before that. It was like I suddenly knew I existed. In a sense I ‘woke up’. Power activation… for me at least… is kind of like that. I didn’t realize it was there, but then suddenly it was.<

>Fascinating,< Beetlejuice sent sincerely. She shivered with delight as the wind peaked slightly, passing over her skin. >Nice to have a little breeze for a change.<

Grey agreed. Fungal forests were a biosphere shielding a rich environment from Perrein’s hot, barren terrain. Very rarely did forest-dwelling Perreins feel drafts, but without the overhead canopy, there was nothing to stop the winds from passing through. It was refreshing to get cooled down by the wind.

>By the way, I hope you’re not thinking about eating that dogos you got hovering in your hand.<

Grey looked at Beetlejuice without dropping the levitating cap. >So what if I am?<

>Pipolsi dogos, or floating cap, is a soothing hallucinogenic. Loroi that ingest it experience a deep relaxing state. Some loroi have even shared stories of feeling like they exist in zero-gravity. Our creche’s Doranzer taught me that it’s used to make tranquilizers. Also a good stress reliever.<

>I’ve seen a few of the girls here during their off-hours eat them and get spaced out. Seems to send them on quite a trip.< The cap in her hand suddenly looked more appetizing. >I could use a break from stress.<

>But I think it best you don’t. Floating cap can be dangerous if not consumed with care. It may seem tempting, Grey, but don’t ingest weird stuff just because everyone else does it.<

>Says the herbalist.<

>’Think with your head, not your stomach. Solve your problems with logic, not feelings.’ That’s what my creche’s Doranzer taught me. I can name some of the vegetation out here, but most of it I can’t even classify. There are mushrooms here that might drive us mad with one bite. Or even kill us. The herbs and shrooms I’ve harvested can help us, but should be used sparingly. So consume with care.<

A discomforted groan drew the two girls’ attention as Cliff began rustling in her sleep. No doubt the pain in her leg was making her restless. >Ouch,< she sent out, her breathing growing more rapid as she slowly came to. >Ouch!<

Dropping the mushroom into her palm, Grey knelt down by Cliff’s side. Extending her hand over Cliff’s forehead, Grey sent out soothing waves into Cliff’s psyche. Cliff’s rapid breathing slowed. Her groans stopped as Grey hypnotized the ailing loroi back to sleep.

>Cliff is lucky to have a good friend, Grey,< sent Beetlejuice.

Grey shrugged. >Someone has to take care of her since the rest of the seedheads are too busy licking Greenscale’s boots.<

>Well, I’m going to sleep. Wake me if there is a problem.< Beetlejuice retired to her cot, but not before asking, >Grey, if it’s no trouble, could you put me to sleep too?<

>What?<

>I’ve been pretty restless myself and can’t quite relax.<

>Why not take a floating cap to sooth your mind?<

>Really?!<

>Fine,< Grey complied.

After easing down Beetlejuice, Grey retired to her cot and resumed levitating the mushroom cap between her hands. It would be nice to just ingest it and let go of her troubles for a while. There was likely nothing bad to happen, but Grey had been taught to always be prepared for anything. The sober mind was ahead of the race.

A crisis more often occurs when slackers least expect it, said Rainlash once. As much as Grey loathed her mother, Rainlash did impart some wisdom. Rainlash had also taught Grey that a crisis is less likely to deter those who are watchful. The loss of the lax is the opportunity for the vigilant.

Grey’s eyes wandered over to Greenscale sleeping on the other side of the camp. Her arm wrapped protectively around her pack containing their communicator. All Grey wanted to do was help Cliff. She did not deserve to suffer like this. No matter how dishonorable it would seem, allowing the injured to suffer helped nothing. It seemed tempting just to sneak out the communicator and call for help, but too risky. How was Grey supposed to sneak out the communicator while two guards were on watch at the fence? And even if she could send out a message to the Elders and call in a rescue for Cliff, Grey would have to take the blame. There was no telling if the Elders would excuse Grey for calling for help during their trial. It was possible they would commend Grey for placing the well-being of a comrade before honor, yet equally possible that Grey could be expelled if she did not try to solve the problem by relying on her own wit and that of the diral. And the fact that Grey was not liked by most within the diral was not likely to cast Grey in a favorable light with the Elders. Warrior trainees were expected to display resilience and innovation. The trials weeded out the weaklings from the capable. A warrior society did not smile on codependents.

The wind seemed to be growing stronger now, but it gave Grey no relief. If someone else were willing to make the call…

-

Ben ran.

He was stuck in a maze of dark halls and musty corridors. Was he in a ship? Or trapped in a dungeon? He could not tell. But he knew what he was chasing. Every time he rounded a corner, he would catch a glimpse of Lagertha.

“Mom,” he would cry out. But Lagertha would not so much as turn to face him and simply wander off beyond the maze’s next turn. No matter how many times he found her, Lagertha only seemed to step away from him.

“Mommy, stop!”

But she wouldn’t stop. No amount of pleading made her wait. She just kept walking away from him. Why was she being so cruel and leaving him behind?

Now Ben was lost. Alone. And crying for the one person who meant the world to him.

With all the energy he could muster, Ben tried to get Lagertha to listen to him and screamed out with all his frustration, “MOM!”

No answer came.

Lagertha was gone.

“Mommy, please,” Ben whimpered as he fell to his knees. “Please come back. Please.”

He wept. He wept because he was alone. And scared. Nothing is more terrifying to a child than being alone.

-

>Wake up!<

The call shook the whole diral awake. Groggily springing to action, the girls looked around in confusion, trying to understand what the trouble was?

>What’s wrong?<

>Are we under attack?<

>Is there a predator?<

>Is someone hurt?<

Their questions were answered as Harmony sent out, >It’s Greenscale! Something’s wrong with Greenscale!<

A few of the girls swarmed around their leader. Greenscale was writhing on her cot, seemingly unresponsive, sending out strange, erratic thoughts and bizarre imagery.

>Is Greenscale sick?< asked Stone.

>I don’t know,< sent Harmony. >I was the first to wake when I found her like this. She seems delirious.<

Beetlejuice, also being awakened by the commotion, came over to inspect. >Out of my way!< She knelt down to inspect Greenscale. >I see no injuries or bites. But hard to see with so little light. Maybe something she ate? Hand me a light!< She was handed the diral’s only flashlight and shown it onto Greenscale’s face. >Look at that! No eye dilation!< She bent closer to Greenscale’s mouth and sniffed her breath. >Maybe something she ate.< She inspected Greenscale’s hands and smelled. >Look at that in her left hand! It looks like a mushroom.< Taking it in hand, Beetlejuice took a sniff. >She definitely ingested this.<

>Ingested what?< asked Harmony.

>Floating cap!<

>No way!< Stone sent incredulously. >Greenscale doesn’t eat that stuff.<

>And yet this happened,< Beetlejuice sent. >She’s clearly blitzed. She’s also oozing something out of her mouth. I don’t think she’s alright.<

>How do you know?< asked Stone, clearly concerned.

>I’ve seen loroi stoned, but never in such an epileptic state. She must have eaten quite a few caps. Eating too many can be hazardous.<

Harmony called out, >Flint! Shrill! Come here!<

The two loroi called came forward.

Harmony interrogated them, >You two were on guard duty. What happened?<

>We…< Flint sent timidly. >We don’t know.<

>How could you not know?!< Harmony sent incredulously.

>We… just woke up like everyone else.<

>What?! You were supposed to keep watch, idiots! How could you fall asleep?!<

>We are sorry,< Shrill sent with head hung low. >We didn’t mean it.<

>What are we supposed to do now?< another loroi called out. >We can’t leave her like this.<

>Maybe call for help?!< another suggested.

>Greenscale gave strict orders not to contact the Elders,< sent Harmony.

>But our diral leader could be poisoned,< Stone objected.

>You too, Stone?!<

>Greenscale is our leader,< Stone defended. >She pulled this diral together. What would our Elders say if we just let her lie in sickness here.<

The company rooted in favor of Stone.

Harmony tried to argue, >But we-<

>No ‘buts.’ We’re calling the Elders.<

-

Ben lay, legs huddled to his chest. The loneliness. The sadness. It was unbearable. All he wanted was his mother. But she was gone. He couldn’t understand why she let the aliens take him away. Why she just stood by and didn’t even bother to save him. But she was gone.

Now he was alone with no one in this terrible darkness that surrounded him.

“Mom,” he whimpered futilely. “Mom, please.”

No answer.

“Anybody.”

Nothing.

-

The call was made.

Now the girls waited for a response from the Elders. Greenscale kept writhing, sending out bizarre imagery, but every now and then she would telepathically blurt out, >wha-<, or >feel weird<.

>This is so odd,< sent Beetlejuice.

>What is?< asked Harmony.

>I remember my creche’s Doranzer saying something about floating caps,< Beetlejuice went on. >While they are used to relax patients, they can have a paradoxical effect.<

>Para-what?<

>Not all loroi have the same reaction to a specific drug,< Beetlejuice explained. >While floating cap is used as a tranquilizer, a minority of loroi have a negative reaction to it. It can make them agitated… aggressive… even psychotic.<

“G-G-Grrrr,” Greenscale gurgled, writhing on her cot. Suddenly she seemed more mobile as she tried to sit up.

>Easy there, Greenscale,< Harmony quickly knelt down by her side.

“Gr-Gr-Gre-,” Greenscale tried to enunciate, her blitzed mind refused to cooperate with her vocal cords.

>What?<

In a flash of movement and a sudden burst of energy, Greenscale launched herself at a specific loroi who had been watching from the edge of the mob.

Greenscale snarled out, “GREY!”

Grey took a few timid steps back. The girls barely managed to restrain their diral leader as she snarled and kicked, her raging eyes fixed on Grey.

>GREY- YOU-< Greenscale sent out. Her blitzed, incoherent mind unable to formulate sentences.

One loroi shouted, >Hold her!<

>What’s wrong with her?< sent another.

>She’s gone crazy!<

>Hold her down!<

Wrestling her back to her cot, the girls pinned their leader as she kicked and squirmed in their grips until she burnt out her stamina.

Harmony gave Grey a look before sending, >She doesn’t like you, Grey.<

Grey just stood by and watched, relaxing as she sensed no impending danger to her person.

>We got a response!< Stone sent relieved. The girls switched their hopeful attention to Stone as she read the communicator. >Wait! What?<

>What’s wrong?< sent Harmony.

>It’s an emergency warning,< Stone replied.

>Yes, we know this is an emergency-<

>No, no! I mean a warning from the Elders. For us!< The assembled girls’ confusion turned to fear as Stone explained, >There’s a fire!<

-

Ben lay shriveled up with knees to his chest. He just wanted someone. Anyone to come to his rescue. But there was no one in this darkness.

“Somebody,” he whimpered. “Anyone…… Grey…… Grey… please.”

Through his teary eyes, Ben saw a pair of red boots step out of the darkness and stop in front of him. Ben looked up to find a man of great build, clad in a blue suit, a red cape and a familiar S-insignia branded upon his chest.

Sniffling away the tears, Ben begged, “Please… help me.”

The great man extended his hand to Ben. “Come on,” he said with a gentle smile. “I know where you need to go.”

-

Cliff groaned, >It hurts.<

>I know, Cliff,< sent Grey. >We’ll be there soon. You have to put up with the pain just a little longer.< She carried the backend of the stretcher on which Cliff lay while Beetlejuice took the front. Even the slightest shift in weight was enough to send a jolt of pain through Cliff’s injured leg, bad enough as it was. But they could not afford to be too delicate for the moment.

>You are a true sister, Grey,< Cliff whimpered. >Truly you are.<

Grey smiled down at her friend. >Cliff, once we complete our trials and return home, my answer is yes.<

>Yes?<

>I mean I accept your offer. I want to join your familial clan.<

>Oh, Grey, you are simply wonderful,< Cliff cried for joy. Even in pain she could still feel joy.

The Elders had confirmed that there was a wildfire spreading through the woods. Wildfires were extremely rare on Perrein, almost unheard of to some natives. But a serious drought made it easy for them to start. Grey had never seen a wildfire before, but had watched recordings of forest fires on Deinar or Maya’s endless misesa fields, spreading like an infernal tidal wave. The flames could reach twice as high as a forest canopy, igniting trees within seconds in clouds of hot red. Even soil itself could burn. They spread quickly. And winds only made them move faster.

>I think I smell smoke,< one loroi sent. >Is it close?<

>Wildfire smoke can be smelt from far off,< Stone sent, with Greenscale’s left arm slung over her shoulder. Harmony helped carry the still blitzed Greenscale by the right. >Just keep moving. As long as we make it to the rendezvous, we’ll be alright.<

Grey wanted to be believe that, but belief was no reassurance. While the wildfire now spreading through the Perrein woods was many miles away, it was spreading in their direction. So the diral was given the order to move back to a rendezvous point where a truck would be picking them up. And they had many miles to cover. Grey and Beetlejuice had a hard time keeping pace with the group having to carry Cliff on the stretcher.

“Gr-Gr-Grey,” the euphoric Greenscale croaked as she was dragged along by Stone and Harmony. “G-Grey… y-you…”

>What’s she saying?< Harmony asked.

>She seems to have it out for Grey,< sent Stone.

Even as she came out of her high, Greenscale still slurred with delirium. >S-stop,< she sent.

>We can’t stop, boss,< sent Stone. >Fire’s coming. But we can rest once we reach-<

>B-but… G-Grey…< Greenscale tried to pry herself free from her diral members’ grip.

>Grey can’t bother us,< Harmony assured her, keeping her grip firmly on Greenscale. >Besides, she’s in the back carrying-<

>…P-poison!< Greenscale sent. >Grey… poison!<

>What’s she saying about poison?< another loroi asked.

>Don’t know,< sent Stone. >But she’s clearly not herself right now.<

>Poison!< Greenscale sent, now fighting against her helpers as they tried to force her along. >Grey… is… poison!<

>Forget about, Grey, damnit!< Stone urged their blazed leader. >We need to hurry!<

The diral jogged on, picking up the pace with increased urgency as the stench of smoke now got thicker. The winds were getting warmer. Grey just trudged on with Beetlejuice and Cliff, trying to keep up at the back of the diral.

>C-cold…< Greenscale sent. Although no one else could deny the unbearable heat, Greenscale was sincerely shivering. >Feel… so cold!<

>You’re not cold,< Harmony assured her. >It’s just the mushrooms talking.<

>Cold,< sent Greenscale. >I’m so cold! I need heat!<

In a burst of speed, Greenscale dashed into the woods, away from the diral.

>Greenscale, come back!< Stone sent, rushing after her.

>Where are you going?< one girl called out.

>Wait, here!< Harmony commanded the group.

>Wait?!< one girl sent incredulously. >The wildfires are coming! At least give us the comm-<

>This diral goes nowhere without our Seinen,< Harmony sent firmly, taking the communicator and pack with her. >The communicator stays with me.< She ordered four random girls to follow in pursuit of Greenscale.

The rest of the diral stood anxiously in wait as the six rescuers chased after Greenscale. The diral band did not seem afraid until Greenscale and her six pursuers disappeared out of their range of sight. But still they waited.

And waited.

A hundred solons passed. Then a thousand. There was no still no sign of Greenscale or six others. Some of the remaining diral members took the chance to sit and rest. A few stood, too nervous to sit, their minds too focused on the impending wildfires. The hot wind and stench of smoke didn’t help to alleviate their nerves.

>Are we going to die?< Cliff groaned painfully from her stretcher.

>Of course not, Cliff,< Grey comforted her friend. >We’re going to make it.<

Grey could see a few diral members gossiping, occasionally casting glances toward her. Were they talking about her? After another thousand solons of gossip and furtive glances, one of the girls sent over.

>Grey, I notice you’ve been silent since leaving camp.<

Grey shrugged. >So?<

>Why was Greenscale mumbling so much about you?<

It seemed obvious that the girls were suspicious of Grey now. >What does it matter? Mushrooms can make one go crazy,< Grey sent matter-of-factly.

>But why would she mention you? And why would Greenscale mention poison?<

>What are you implying?< Beetlejuice defended Grey. >Are you accusing Grey of poisoning our diral chief? Grey has been by my side nursing Cliff. Greenscale is just delirious. Besides the guards would have seen-<

The accusation now came from Flint. >We were on guard duty. We did not fall asleep on purpose. I can’t remember how, but even so. And Stone said herself that Greenscale did not consume mushrooms for recreation.<

>That doesn’t mean Greenscale wouldn’t have reconsidered trying it,< Beetlejuice shot back.

>I think it only fair that Grey vouch for herself.<

A few girls stood together, bent on extracting the truth while the rest sat by and nervously observed.

>Grey, be truthful with us. Do you know something we don’t? What did you do?<

Grey stared back at the mob in silence.

>Stars, it can’t be true,< Beetlejuice sent horrified.

Grey sighed in defeat. >Greenscale refused to call for help. I didn’t mean for this to happen. As much as I hate Greenscale, I never intended to hurt her.<

>You poisoned her?!<

>I didn’t poison anyone,< Grey defended herself. >After everyone fell asleep, I had an idea. If I could not call for help, maybe someone else would if they had justifiable reason. I care nothing for Greenscale, but I see how much you all loved her. Cliff has been in so much pain, but Greenscale was too stubborn to call for help. None of you would vouch for Cliff. But you would for our diral chief. I made her consume the floating caps.<

>How? She would have fought back and alerted us.<

>I hypnotized her,< sent Grey. >Stopped her from waking up. My powers have been active for days now.<

>And the guards?<

>I hypnotized them first. Lured them from their posts and put them under.<

>Grey?< Beetlejuice sent horrified. >Do you realize what you’ve done?<

>I just wanted to help Cliff,< Grey defended. >Because none of you would. Ever since losing the title of diral chief, none of you snides have liked me. Just because I made a mistake and failed to protect one of you. Other than Beetlejuice, Cliff is the only loroi here who cared anything for me. The only true friend I have.<

>You bloody shitboot!< Shrill cried out as she threw herself at Grey, but was held back by several of the girls. >Let me go! I’m going to kill her!<

>No, you won’t.<

>This is her fault! I’m going to rip her skull open! She needs to pay!<

>Look, you imbecile!< another pointed in the direction they had trekked. Amidst the dense trunks, an orange glow could be seen far in the distance. Along with a faint crackling and popping. >The fires are getting closer! We need to run!<

>We can’t go anywhere without Greenscale and the others. Besides Harmony has the communicator. We can’t trace the truck without it.<

>But we can’t stay here! The fires will kill us!<

>Enough! We’re moving out!<

>What about the truck? We can’t trace it without-<

>We have to make do! We stay here, we die!<

The diral band rose to their feet and moved out. Grey bent down to pick up Cliff’s stretcher, much to Beetlejuice’s reluctance.

>I just want to help Cliff,< Grey sent sincerely. >At this point, that’s all I care about.<

>Well then help me,< Beetlejuice conceded, unable to hide her bitterness.

-

The diral band pressed on, hurrying eagerly to get away from the impending flames. The winds got hotter. The smoke stench was more potent now. The crackling of burning wood seemed to grow stronger and the forest behind them glowing brighter. Grey and Beetlejuice were having the hardest time keeping up with the girls.

From the stretcher, Cliff sent, >I don’t hate you, Grey.<

>What?< Grey asked as she trudged along.

>Everyone else might hate you, but I don’t. You had the courage to do what no one else was willing to do. You’re the only one who’s ever cared about me in this group.<

>Well… don’t forget about Beetlejuice,< sent Grey.

Beetlejuice said nothing back as she pulled the stretcher along.

>Grey,< Cliff cried through painful tears, >Even if everyone else turns their back on you, I swear I never will. I’ll defend you in front of the Elders. I promise.<

Grey said nothing back. She felt unworthy of such affection.

>Listen,< one of the girls ahead sent. Amidst the howling wind and sound of fire, there was another sound. A faint, synthetic screech that sounded off in patterned intervals. >That’s a siren! It must be the truck! Keep moving, everyone!<

The girls sprinted ahead, driven by new hope of rescue.

>Wait!< Beetlejuice pleaded, struggling to keep up as she pulled the stretcher. >Please wait for us! Grey, pick up the pace!<

>Take it easy,< Grey pleaded, nearly tripping as she tried not to trip with stretcher in hand. >Beetlejuice, slow down, I’m going to drop it.<

>The girls are already out of my range, Grey! Hurry! We’re going to lose-<

Beetlejuice did not get a chance to finish as she fell face forward over a sheer drop, dragging Cliff and Grey with her. All three loroi tumbled down. Grey’s head made contact with some mossy rocks, sending a jolt of pain that made her vision blur. The loroi struggled to stay awake, her mind threatening to fall into unconsciousness.

Grey could not be sure if tens or hundreds of solons passed until her conscious mind won the battle and her vision began to clear. But it was long enough to see a rain of burning snowflakes starting micro-burns on dried up ferns, shrooms and moss. Grey struggled to get up, she had to get her friends to that truck. Her mind registered their telepathic signatures.

>MY LEG HURTS!< Cliff cried, her stretcher having cracked following their tumble.

Beside her Beetlejuice was fumbling with the straps, trying to get her loose. Grey forced herself to sit up and help.

>Help us!< Beetlejuice sent out. Grey was certain she was calling for Grey. Until Grey heard Beetlejuice say, >Damnit, Greenscale, stop standing there and help us!<

That’s when Grey’s mind finally picked up the third signature that wandered into their midst during her concussion. Standing above the ledge where the trio fell from was Beetlejuice. And she was staring down at them. The rain of cinders and glow of impending flames did not faze her. She just stared down. Before Grey could react, Greenscale picked up a sizable rock. Holding the massive stone overhead, she pounced on Beetlejuice.

Crack!

Beetlejuice’s skull fractured as the stone made contact. She fell limp on top of Cliff, who still lay crying in pain, partially strapped to the stretcher.

Greenscale’s eyes fell on Grey. >I know what you did, Grey,< Greenscale sneered with a wicked smile. Grey recognized that malicious, deranged tone. Greenscale was going to kill Grey.

Grey struggled to get up, but Greenscale threw herself at her. The girls wrestled, Grey struggling to kick the mad loroi off of her. But Greenscale firmly weighed herself down on top of Grey with hands around her throat. Grey choked as Greenscale squeezed the life out of her.

>I’m going to kill you!< Greenscale sneered as she squeezed harder. She had gone completely psychotic. >You stuffed shrooms down my throat! And I’m going to kill you!<

Grey’s vision blurred, hands trying to pry off Greenscale’s as she rasped for air. But Greenscale was too strong. >Help!< she futilely sent out. >Somebody!<

>LEAVE HER ALONE!< Cliff, who had managed to free herself from the broken stretcher, had crawled over, dragging along her injured leg, and tried to pry Greenscale off of her friend. >LEAVE HER ALONE!<

>GET OFF!< Greenscale smacked her off, momentarily losing her grip on Grey.

Grey was not strong enough to push her assaulter off of her. With her new mental powers, Grey’s mind sent a volt into Greenscale’s. Greenscale’s hands reflexively flew up to clutch her head, trying to block out the mental stab. Quickly fumbling around her, Grey’s left hand found a rock. With all the strength she could muster, Grey smashed the rock into Greenscale’s forehead. The girl fell off, pressing her palms to numb her injured skull. Grey squirmed out from under her, standing ready to fight.

But Greenscale did not attack. Slowly climbing back to her feet, Greenscale just stared back, her maddened look now replaced by a blank expression. Grey did not soften as she anticipated Greenscale to pounce any moment.

Instead, Greenscale simply sent, >Cold… so cold…< The floating caps still had her buzzed. >Fire… I need… warmth… so cold…< In her delirious state, she made wobbly steps in the direction of the burning woods.

Grey did not try to stop her. Just stood by and watched the diral leader go. Finally taking notice of the crackling flames coming in, Grey knelt down by Beetlejuice. She had no pulse. No breath. And no telepathic signature. Beetlejuice was dead.

Though pointless to send to a corpse, Grey sent sincerely, >I’m sorry, Beetlejuice.<

But there was no time to mourn. Grey rushed over to Cliff and slowly hefted her onto her shoulders.

>It hurts!< Cliff cried.

>I know, but hang on!< Grey assured her. With all the power she could muster, Grey pushed on toward the direction of the sirens. Although Cliff’s weight was a hindrance, Grey’s desperation to escape the impending flames gave her all the motivation she needed. Slowly the world around her seemed to erupt into flames. Mushrooms exploded. Ferns sprouted into flaming flowers. The only thing that did not seem to catch fire yet was the fungal trees. Now Grey knew that the wave of flames was close behind. Perhaps a few meters. Perhaps several hundred. Grey didn’t know but it didn’t matter. All that mattered was reaching that truck before the fires outran them.

The sirens got louder. Grey knew they were close. And there she saw between the trunks was the truck. And it was slowly rolling out.

>NO!< Grey cried out. >DON’T LEAVE! DON’T LEAVE! WE’RE STILL HERE!<

But the truck did not stop. Grey pushed her legs harder. She had to get within a hundred meters for them to pick up their signature. Finally she picked up another Loroi’s presence within the truck. But the vehicle kept rolling on. They were leaving.

>WAIT!< Grey cried.

The truck slowed. More telepathic signatures picked up Grey’s call, urging the drivers to stop. Grey would have been relieved if it weren’t for the fact that her back was so hot it nearly burnt. The flames were right on them now.

>OPEN THE DOOR!< Grey cried.

The side door of the truck’s passenger bay slid open. There stood two Soroins waving the two stragglers.

>Hurry,< the Soroins urged.

Grey crashed at full speed into the truck’s deck. The Soroins hefted Cliff off her shoulders before lifting Grey in. Grey got a glimpse of the flames probably ten meters away before the Soroins slid the large door shut. Even from within the truck, Grey could hear the crackling of burning fungal trees and howling winds as the flames washed over the vehicle.

>Don’t worry,< one of the Soroins sent. >The interior is fireproof. You’re safe now.<

The truck rumbled as the drivers made their way through the burning woods.

>Cliff,< Grey sent with worry. >Is Cliff-<

>Your friend is alright,< sent the Soroin. >A bit toasted, but she’ll live.<

Grey finally took notice of the rest of her teammates that made it. They all stared. Stared with harsh judgement. There was no sign of Stone. Or Harmony. Or the four other girls that ran after Greenscale. And no Beetlejuice… who died back in the forest saving Cliff’s and Grey’s life.

Rolling onto her stomach and burying her head into her arms, Grey wept. All she wanted to do was save Cliff, and now it seemed that her intervention wasn’t necessary after all. The Elders would have ordered the diral to evacuate the woods anyway. Drugging Greenscale, trying to get the diral to make the call to the Elders for help instead of her had been a wasted effort. Now their diral leader was dead. Along with Beetlejuice, Stone, Harmony and four other girls. They were all gone because of Grey’s foolish decision. All Grey could do was cry. The Elders would demand an inquiry and find out everything, whether from Grey or the other diral members. The revelation of Grey’s scheming would destroy her future. The Elders would never allow her to be a warrior. She would be branded with disgrace and dishonor. As far as Grey was concerned, her life was over.

All she wanted now was to cry. She cried as the world seemed to fade away and she was left in a pit of infinite darkness.

>I’m sorry,< she sobbed. >I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to mess up.<

“…Grey?”

Grey looked up. Hovering above her was a man in a suit of blue and a cape of red. And he looked remarkably human like the boy within his strong arms. Somehow Grey knew who the large male was. >…… Superman?<

Descending to her level, Superman released the little boy before fading away into the darkness.

In a mix of despair and hope, Grey recognized that boy. >Ben?<

“Grey?” While he still remembered the terrible thing she tried to do, Ben looked on with pity at the weeping loroi. “Why are you crying?”

>Ben, I’m so sorry,< Grey sent in tears. >I never meant to harm you. I swear I never meant to.<

Unable to see his friend suffer, and not wishing to be consumed by the dark loneliness, Ben ran to her. “Grey!”

Grey wept for sadness and joy as she took the little boy ran into her arms.

“Promise me you’ll never be mean again,” Ben cried into her chest.

>I promise, Ben.< She held him tightly. >I promise!<
Last edited by Snoofman on Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Superman to the rescue? :lol:

It seems like the Emperor needs to get over this buried regret and trauma to use her abilities on Ben. Or maybe they'll bond over this experience instead?

gigachad

Post by gigachad »

Really good story! please don't stop writing it

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Wind and Fire - Chapter 25.2

-

What amazed Grey was not just how overly creative Ben’s imagination was. But how that imagination seemed to conceive a whole universe in his dreamy, little head. After reuniting in the darkness, they somehow found themselves in an open field of endless grass beneath a perfect view of the Milky Way and all its celestial bodies. Now they lay together, watching the night sky. Every now and then, an animal would trample past them. Ben was kind enough to identify animals that Grey had never heard of before. The little boy already pointed out cows, deer, monkeys, tigers, bears, penguins and more. Grey could not help but suspect that some of these animals did not quite belong to this environment. Especially the more aquatic looking creatures that swam in the air. Then again Ben’s silly dreams didn’t seem to make much sense anyway.

But it was still entertaining.

>That one,< Grey pointed to a diamond-shaped shaped fish slowly flapping its wing-like fins. >That looks like a nimai.<

“I think that’s a sting ray,” said Ben.

>Sting ray? I suppose that’s a fitting name… judging by that stinger at the end of its tail.<

“Ooh! Look!” Ben pointed at a black and white patterned cetacean that slowly glided up and down. “That’s a killer whale.”

>Killer whale?!<

“Yeah! They’re really cool. I’ve seen photos of them in the ocean and at zoos where people pet them.”

>Pet? You mean those humans caress these animals?<

“I guess.”

>Why would humans want to caress a ‘killer whale’?<

“‘Cause they look friendly.”

>Friendly?!< Grey raised a curious eyebrow at the silly boy. >If those cetaceans are friendly, why would you name it, ‘killer’ whale?<

Ben shrugged. “I dunno’.”

>Ben, you are strange.<

“You’re a poophead.”

Grey yelped as her ribs got jabbed by Ben. Ben shot up and fled into the grassy field, laughing all the way.

>You little seedhead!< Grey hopped to her feet and gave chase.

Animals pranced around them as Ben ran with Grey in pursuit. Closing the distance between them, Grey encircled the little one in her arms, taking him down with her as they collapsed into the grass. The boy wrestled with Grey, giggling like a maniac until Grey gently held him down by his wrists.

“Okay!” Ben laughed, writhing beneath Grey’s hold. It took him a minute to finally relax. “Okay, I give!”

Grey could not help but grin as she hovered over him. >Ben,< she sent with a sigh as she released him. >you are too much for me to bear.<

Ben giggled. “Grey, you’re funny.”

>Funny?< Grey thought amusedly, lying back on the grass. >I’ve been called many things, but not funny.< She lay with hands behind her head as she resumed watching the stars.

Ben rolled onto his side, snuggling close into Grey’s side. Grey blushed as his arm extended across her midsection. Though an innocent gesture, Ben seemed to have no idea how many social rules he broke.

Not that Grey minded at this point.

“I wish we could always stay here,” said Ben.

>Me too,< Grey agreed. Truly she did. Taking away one hand from out behind her head, she gently encircled Ben in her embrace. Ben snuggled in closer to Grey, making her blush a bit more. How nice it would be if they could just stay here without a care in the world.

“Ooh! Look. Shooting stars.” Ben pointed to the night sky.

Grey looked up where Ben pointed. And there she saw a streaks of light trailing down from the starry heavens descending beyond the horizon.

“It’s really nice, huh?”

>Yes,< thought Grey. >It is… even if it’s just a dream. Ben, how do you make up all this-<

Grey stopped mid-thought as she looked down. Ben was suddenly gone.

>Ben!< she sent, looking around. >Not again! Don’t disappear again. Where are you?<

Whoosh!

Grey’s ears picked up a sound. It sounded like the swishing accompanied by a crackling, sizzle. Like the the sound of a passing flare. That’s when Grey noticed something strange about the meteor shower. The flaring streaks suddenly stopped. Upon closer inspection Grey realized they didn’t stop; they changed coarse. And grew brighter as they came speeding in her direction.

Whoosh!

Out of the corner of her eye, Grey saw a deer suddenly get pulled off the earth as a trail of blazing light swooped it up and carried it away. Grey instinctively ducked as another blazing star flashed past her and encompassed an elephant in its brilliant light. The massive animal horned out a cry as it too was dragged off its feet by the star and taken up. All around Grey saw flashes of shooting stars snatching away beasts. The now frightened animals fled, jumping or flying away to escape from the dreadful shooting stars.

Grey fled too. Above her a pod of killer whales flew, desperate as her to escape. Until they too were snatched away by the flaring streaks. Was Grey going to get snatched away too? This was all just a dream and yet Grey felt an unexplained fear. She didn’t understand why but she did not want the shooting stars to take her away too.

Spotting a large, broad tree amidst the grassy field, Grey figured it was her best chance for cover as she ran toward it. Grey made it, hugging the trunk, holding on for dear life if the shooting stars decided to snatch her up as well. Grey watched as the shooting stars kept scooping up animals great and small. All around was a cacophony of squeals and howls as the animals were taken away into the starry sky.

That’s when Grey suddenly caught sight of a different beast. An upright biped bearing remarkable resemblance to a loroi. The shower of thieving stars lessened as the grassy fields became devoid of animal life. Save for that one biped. The shooting stars left, leaving the field in peace and quiet. The biped approached the tree. Grey stood ready, anticipating an attack. She recognized the biped as it cleared the grassy field and stepped under the cover of the broad tree.

It was the beast woman. The same that approached Grey in that ocean of confusion. For solons the beast woman just gazed at Grey.

>It’s you again,< Grey sent. >What do you want?<

With the same pair of antlers clutched in right hand, the beast woman pointed out toward the field. Sensing no hostile intent, Grey approached the clearing beside the beast woman. Looking out to where the clutched antlers pointed, Grey saw a large family of humans. At least they looked human, but they shared similar appearance with the beast woman with hairy limbs, diminutive skulls and drooping posture. Clad in animal hides that poorly concealed their indecency. Grey was not sure, but there must have been well over forty of them. Males, females and even children.

Grey took notice again of the beast woman’s clenched antlers as it pointed up toward the sky. For a moment Grey saw nothing but stars. Until a dark triangle suddenly came into focus, suspended by nothing in the heavens. Grey was not sure how big or how far away it was, but it must have been colossal since it blocked out a good portion of the stars. An outdent barely visible from Grey's place suggested that it was likely a tetrahedron.

>What is that?< Grey asked the beast woman. Even for a mere dream, Grey suspected that the beast woman was far too aware to be a mere projection. >Is that some sort of vessel?<

The beast woman spoke, “Mi... toe... kong... dry... aye…”

There were those words again. But what did it mean?

Brrruuummmff!

Grey’s attention was drawn back to the scene as what sounded like a great horn sounded off. Did it come from the tetrahedron? It must have since it caught the attention of the beast family, who now stood in awe, pointing up at the massive object hovering high above them.

The tetrahedron birthed a tiny light. Then a second. Then four. Then twelve. Grey lost count as a swarm of tiny lights came out and descended upon the earth. The beast people watched the magnificent display as the tiny stars fell over the horizon. For a moment it seemed they vanished. Until a flickering beyond the grassy fields confirmed that they were coming back. And approaching the family of beast people. The primitives fidgeted nervously, no doubt wondering if they should flee or stand in awe-

Whoosh!

In a flash of motion, one of the bright lights emitted a dark net of tendrils that encompassed one of the hairy females and hefted her up. The female screamed and kicked, trying to break free, but was helplessly carried up by the light back to the tetrahedron.

>It is a vessel,< thought Grey. >And those lights must be probes.<

The beast people hooted and hollered. Even without sanzai, Grey could hear terror in their voices. One by one the flying lights shot out nets of tendrils that scooped up the primitives and carried them back to their mother vessel. It did not distinguish from man, woman or child. By the time the last star left with the last captive, less than a dozen beast people were left. They stared up in horror at the flying object and cried.

With arms outstretched to the heavens, they chanted, “Heer… dry… aye!”

There were those words again: ‘dry aye’. Grey listened intently as the beast people wept, repeating those words as if in agony. The more Grey listened, the more she seemed to understand. Until finally Grey spoke what came to mind:

“Give…… family…… our……”

The beast people were pleading. Pleading to the vessel, “Give back our family.”

Grey looked back to the beast woman who now looked back at her. The beast woman silently wept as she said again, “Mi... toe... kong... dry... aye…”

Somehow Grey understood and spoke back:

“Falling…… stars…… took…… family…… our……”

Grey had just witnessed an abduction.

The beast people cried something new as they fled for the safety of the tree. Grey looked back up toward the sky. The vessel was gone. In its place Grey thought she saw what appeared to be a serpent, writhing left and right. Then the serpent divided into two. Then four. Then eight. Soon the night sky was infested with serpents, writhing and squirming. With a whip of their tails, the serpents swept the stars away. For every star that was extinguished, Grey heard a cry. The beast people whimpered as they huddled around the tree trunk. Did they hear it too?

Soon the cries were intensifying until they became a collective bellow. And Grey realized much to her horror that the stars were crying out in pain and despair as the serpents swept them away from existence. The last star winked out until the sky was nothing more than an empty, black canvas.

But then another star flashed back into existence. Grey left the safety of the tree to inspect the glowing object high above. She would have been relieved had she not realized that that light was not a star. It was a glowing iris. There was an eye in the sky. Then another flashed into existence in the starless sky. And another. And another. Until the whole dark heavens were filled with fiery eyes. Each of them scanning around as if in search of something.

>What is this?< Grey asked. >What is happening?<

She looked back to the beast woman for answers, who stood straight and stared back at Grey from under the tree. Her family, clutching the tree, melted away into pools of red. The red pools took on a life of their own as they morphed into bloody worms that snaked their way into the tree. The beast woman turned and, with her clutched antlers, hacked away at the bark.

Thump! Thump!

More pools of red bled forth from the tree’s wound. Grey heard a beating coming from the tree as the beast woman tore something from its core. Facing Grey, the beast woman approached as she held firmly onto her antlers in right hand and a red, dripping heart in left. She was holding the bloody tree’s heart.

The fiery eyes now locked unto Grey. Grey knew that those fiery eyes were staring at her… at the beast woman… with envy… malice… and violent desire.

“No,” Grey whimpered, her voice trembling.

The tree was now gushing out waves of blood that flooded the earth in a sea of red. Washing past Grey’s feet, the loroi was overcome with terror. Terror of the hateful eyes from heaven. Terror of the beast woman’s awful truth. Terror of the blood that Grey was sinking into. Grey was too paralyzed to swim as the red sea swallowed her.

“Plea- <gurgle><spit> -please! No!” Grey choked on iron-tasting fluid and cried out in horror, “NO! PLEASE!”

Her cries were answered as the beast woman raised antlers and heart to heaven. And the fiery eyes rained down a gift of corpses that fell into the bloody sea. And a warning sounded out into the universe, “Grrrr-waAAAAAAHH!”

-

Greywind shot up from her bed panting. She could hear her own heart beating rapidly.

Certain that she was going to hyperventilate, Grey commanded her nerves, >Calm down! It was just a dream… but it felt so… alive… no! It was just a dream… conjured up in Ben’s head… means nothing… or does it? No! Stop thinking! Stop panicking! Just breath! Got to calm down! Breath!<

Taking in deep inhalations, Greywind focused just on her breathing, pushing all worries away. Her heart slowed. The drumming in her ears stopped. And within solons Greywind was calm.

Looking down beside her, Ben slept.

“Did you do that?” Greywind said aloud.

Ben said nothing as he kept dreaming.

“Did you just show me that, Ben?”

No answer.

>What is happening to me?< Greywind thought, disturbed by that awful vision. >To us? What are you hiding, little boy?<
Last edited by Snoofman on Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

gigachad

Post by gigachad »

It turns out that there is a genetic memory in this story, right?

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

It seems like that's where it's going. An interesting concept. We do have evidence that PTSD can be expressed genetically, so not unprecedented. Though not to any great racial heritage that could be passed along for thousands of generations of course. However, this is science fiction, not peer reviewed thesis fiction. Fantastic aspects that may not have basis in fact can be used to make things interesting; for example, mind reading space elves. :)
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Oh no, it seems that Grey dug too deep, and awakened an eldritch abomination.

I doubt that there can be something like genetic memory, so this dream is probably leaking from a different source. Maybe a hidden Soia mastermind that uses the mortal races for a galactic chess game?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Wind and Fire - Chapter 26

-

>Twelve points for me,< sent Diaderet Peridot, drawing a few new tiles from a bag for her row of letters.

She along with Brightsword, Lodestone and Darkside were within Second Claw’s room playing a board game called Flow. Following the Emperor’s awakening and their second conference, the Councilors simply carried on with life. Lodestone had invited the Diaderets for a game in her chambers. Four accepted while the rest occupied themselves elsewhere. The Chiefs had switched from their armor into long robes. While warriors prided in their armor, it felt refreshing to switch into softer attire occasionally.

Flow was a word-building game whose objective was to build a narrative from the board’s core outward following the path of a pseudo spiral made up of concentric rings. Each player took turns laying down lettered tiles to form one or several words and gained points depending on the amount of points on each tile. And would scoop up new tiles to replenish her stock. Each player was allowed only sixteen lettered tiles at a time. Bonus points could be earned by jumping from one concentric loop to the next.

Players of Flow more often chose to build factual fables. But diverging from a truthful narrative would be acceptable provided that the loroi constructing the fictional narrative can justify her deviation. Either by offering an insightful perspective or by swaying her fellow players with humor. More often players who deviated from the truth did so for a good laugh and thus were forgiven for their playful deception. Fictional players that poorly justified their deviation were labelled as dull thinkers.

While the whole point of Flow was for individual players to gain the most points via narrative construction, the game also served as a way of sharpening grammatical mastery. As well as how a loroi could ‘choose’ her words. Since the game’s narrative could be factual or fictional, a player’s choice of words might serve as reflection of how infallible her knowledge was. For Mizols or Torrais considering new underlings, the game served well to test how honest one could be whilst concealing secrets. Vocally and telepathically. A very useful and indeed necessary skill for loroi hoping to become politicians and intelligence officers.

>Second Claw still leading ahead with a total of seventy-two points,< Peridot kept track of the players’ score.

>It is not fair for a Listel to be playing,< sent Brightsword to Peridot. >Especially when she has an archive of words at her disposal.<

>I am a failed Listel,< sent Peridot, embarrassed to admit it. >Unlike most Listels, my brain did not develop correctly to infallibly record information. Besides, being a Listel does not necessarily give one an edge over non-recorders. Recording knowledge and intelligibly applying it are two different skills.<

>It is still not fair,< Brightsword pouted.

The party picked up on Brightsword’s bitter tone.

>Brightsword, what is the matter with you?< sent Lodestone, looking over her tiles to build a meaningful word. >You seem in a bad mood.<

>If I seem in a bad mood, it’s because our Emperor did not carry out her task,< Brightsword answered.

>It is not as if Greywind consciously refused to carry out the deed,< Lodestone defended. >And I do mean consciously. Besides, the dreamscape is a lucrative place of mind. There is only so far a loroi can be influenced.<

>I still think the Emperor is too obsessed with that human,< Lodestone shot back. >It’s not healthy. Indeed seems scandalous.<

>Caution, Brightsword,< Lodestone warned. >That is my cousin you are talking about. Even so, all the more reason why we must retain our oath of silence.<

>I intend no offense to the Emperor. But I will not apologize for my honest opinion.<

Lodestone settled for that concession and focused back on the game.

>Can’t make any sensible words with these tiles,< Lodestone groaned with aggravation. She swapped them out for new tiles in the sack. >I skip. Anyway, the Emperor may not have been able to carry out the deed. But at the very least she could bring Ben momentarily under her control. Which shows promise for our future attempts to influence humans.<

>I’m also intrigued about these… visions… the Emperor claims to have experienced while bonding with the little human,< sent Peridot.

Darkside scoffed. >I doubt abstract illustrations conjured up in an alien spawn’s fantasy signify an epiphany.<

>But you must admit the details that Greywind has shared bear a remarkable resemblance to the hypothesis pertaining to the creation of the loroi-<

Brightsword snarled out, >I will not tolerate that vicious lie!<

The room became uncomfortably silent. Brigthsword shifted in her seat, straightening her robe.

>Pardon my outburst,< Brigthsword sent. >Every loroi here is welcome to her own beliefs. But it seems in our best interests not to circulate dangerous ideas. Especially if they lose us the Diadem’s favor.<

>Fair enough,< Peridot sent flatly. >If I may ask, Brightsword, why do you seem so uncomfortable talking about it?<

>We are loroi,< Brightsword stated assuredly. >The true Soia. That is the fundamental truth upon which our empire was founded. Denying it diminishes our authority. Gives our citizens and subjects cause to doubt. Something we cannot afford now when we must rebuild and expand.<

>Is that why you do not seem to like Ben so much?< asked Lodestone.

>That has nothing to do with-<

>But you seem to loath him. Admit it.<

Brightsword sighed. >Our Emperor has spoken. If she is intent on keeping Ben at this creche, I will not oppose it. If Ben’s lotai can be peeled back, it will be worth it. But exposing the creche to a human is bad influence. I still say it would be safer to be ship it off to Mezan to be studied.<

>Brightsword,< Second Claw sent appalled. >How could you do that to an adorable little thing like Ben? Besides, the girls of the creche seem to like him. Why deny them their fun?<

>The human may seem fun now. But wait until it gets older.<

>Stop exaggerating,< barked Darkside, laying down a new set of tiles on the board. >And that’s ten points for me.<

>Second Claw still leading,< sent Peridot before switching her focus back to Brightsword. >Anyway, I think the caregivers here can manage the human in our absence. Any undesirable traits can be hammered out. Although, Ben seems to have been remarkably compliant.<

Second Claw agreed. >And he is a cute one. Quite charming for an alien.<

>Charming? Please,< Brightsword scoffed. >However charming humans may seem, their leaders, both in the corporate and political realms, are masters of secrecy and deception. Friendly one moment and treacherous the next. Even to their own kind. That combined with their aggressive tendencies and unforeseeable reactions is all the inclination loroi need not to trust them. I am no Listel, but I have studied human history in my spare time. Soiled with deceit and treachery.<

>I think someone has been nitpicking facts to support her own conclusions,< Peridot teased.

Brightsword took offense at that. >I am not nitpicking! Nor do I boast baseless claims! How many of the Terran envoys do you really think have been forthcoming during our negotiations for the past few years? They preach peace and tolerance. Yet our intel suggests that their government is stoking the flames of militarism. I’ve met Neridi bankers with more face value. Just look what is happening to commercial freighters in the Wastelands. Or the recent incursions within the Minzan Sector.<

>The actions of human pirates,< Second Claw countered.

>Pirates that somehow got their hands on advanced weaponry?<

>I see where you are leading us, Brightsword,< sent Second Claw. >So all humanity must pay the price for the actions of a criminal minority?<

>No one here seemed to offer such sentiment when we bombarded the Tithric worlds.<

>That was different,< Darkside countered.

>Why? Because the Tithric’s leaders were feigning neutrality while conspiring with Shells? Or because they were not as handsome as the humans?<

>Peace, comrades!< sent Lodestone, feeling the atmosphere heat up. >Brightsword, you’re not making sense! If the TCA seeks a fight with us, I say bring it. But if there is a chance for peace, we should take it. Do you not wish the same?<

Brightsword sighed. >I care little for humanity,< she admitted. >It is the loroi I care about. I support the Emperor’s plans to avoid war only for the sake of our people. We lost enough during the Great War. Three daughters of mine died in the line of duty. So long as humans know their place, their presence is tolerable. But they still have a lotai. A lotai allows for deception. And that makes them dangerous. Many a loroi are intrigued by this outsider race. But intrigue makes one vulnerable. Vulnerability weakens our dominance.<

>Well nobody’s perfect, Brightsword,< sent Darkside. >Besides, loroi are not that weak. Maybe the civilians, but who cares about them? Where is your optimism?<

>Yes,< Second Claw agreed. >Our Union is the ship made from the timber of faith and power.<

>Perhaps. But even timber is vulnerable to rot.< Brightsword lay down new letters to the board.

>’Terranas’?!< Second Claw sent disappointed as she looked over Brightsword’s tiles. >That’s the best you could come up with?<

>What?< Brightsword defended. >The letters give me a boost in points.<

>She’s right,< Peridot confirmed. >The move is allowable. Brightsword now leading with a total of eighty-two points.<

>But that ruins the narrative,< Second Claw whined. >Disappointing, even for a quick grab for points.<

>How does it ruin the narrative?< Brightsword pointed out. She read aloud from the board:

CRY OF THE WIND SOARED UPON HIGH WITH WINGS OUTSTRETCHED AND SENT OUT TO THE WINDS A CRY SO POWERFUL IT SWEPT AWAY THE STARS. DESCENDING ON DEINAR BROUGHT SHE WISDOM TO THOSE WHO LISTENED. HER FOES SHE ROTTED…

>There is speculation that Cry of the Wind was an ancient farseer,< Brightsword tried to justify the narrative. >Being subjugated to a farseer’s scream would be like feeling your brain rot-<

“Dull,” Second Claw said disappointed.

Lodestone agreed. >That is pretty lame, Brightsword. Your poetry is as sour as your mood.<

The assembled loroi laughed.

Except for Brigthsword. >Cancer boats.<

-

Following her awakening and sharing the details of her latest delve into Ben’s dreams with her Chiefs, Greywind commanded Cotton to accompany her. Now the two sat alone, away from prying ears and minds, within the mansion’s library. While the Emperor’s guards kept any curious minds from wandering too close, Greywind and Cotton exchanged in a telepathic whisper. Attendant Link had been excused to enjoy some leisure elsewhere.

Now Greywind was looking over a holographic image of an ancient fossil alongside an illustration of a humanoid with primitive demeanor provided by Listel Cotton’s datapad.

>Humanity seemed to have some hideous ancestors,< Greywind remarked as she studied the image. >And what do they call this one again?<

>Mitochondrial Eve,< sent Cotton. >Estimated to have lived around two hundred thousand years ago. More or less. Her fossilized remains were discovered within Botswana, a terrestrial nation state on the human homeworld.<

>I see. While this illustration does not seem to resemble the creature I encountered within the dream, there is some similarity.<

>Indeed,< Cotton agreed, having received the details of Greywind’s experience. >Though it seems disturbing that someone as gentle as Ben could conjure up something so… graphic. And violent.<

>I have seen my fair share of disturbing and violent, Listel Cotton,< Greywind sent while concealing the details of her past experiences. >But this… encounter as it were… has left me shaken.<

>Emperor, why are you sharing this with me?<

>You are a scientist, Cotton. I need to know if this dream could mean anything.<

Cotton sat in silent contemplation. Cotton’s memory was like a sea of constellations. Each star within those constellations contained a bit of knowledge she accumulated over her lifespan. Like many Listels, Cotton took an interest in studying humanity cultures. Especially all its scientific knowledge accumulated over the ages. Cotton needed mere solons to pinpoint every fact she had learnt regarding human psychology. From Sigmund Freud’s “Interpretation of Dreams” to Dr. Catherine Deane’s recently published hypotheses in the rising field of neural physics. Her analysis: >Difficult to say. From my understanding, humans do not dream as loroi. And your delves into Ben’s dreams seems to confirm what humanity has been sharing with us regarding human dreaming. Even Ben’s ability to playback memories in his sleep seems to be a rare talent according to the humanity archives I’ve reviewed.<

>But does it mean something, Listel?<

>That depends. All aliens seem to sleep differently. Mannadi, for example, have several small brains distributed throughout their bodies. When they sleep, one brain remains active. Likely a survival mechanism to allow Mannadi to anticipate danger as they rest. Hence why Mannadi sleep seems hypnogogic. Neither fully awake nor asleep. Neridi dreams, on the other hand, seem to entail changing morphology. Neridi progressing into adulthood often experience dreams of feeling their bodies morph into convoluted shapes. Likely a side effect of their bodies preparing for gender transition. But humans seem different. Some have postulated that when human consciousness absorbs too much information, it needs to let go of things it deems unnecessary so it can incorporate important memories. A coping mechanism for sensory overload perhaps? Others have theorized that sleep helps humans process emotions and complex thoughts. It may mean something to the dreamer in question. But ultimately, human dreams just seem to be garbled visions teetering on the edge of nonsense.<

>Could the vision I received be an inherited memory?<

>Feasible, your highness. But unlikely in my opinion.<

>What makes you say that?<

>The theory of inherited memory has been proposed before. Now it seems true that certain behaviors can be remembered and passed on genetically. Expressing itself in the form of instincts. Some animals are simply born with the ability to walk almost instantly or recognize a paternal call. There are instances in which animals are born with preconceived migration routes or recognize locations they never visited before. Experiences like trauma can leave biochemical marks passed on to future generations. Genes seem capable of memory storage, but there isn’t enough data capacity to save recollections spanning thousands of generations. Much less a single mind. Even us Listels cannot simply inherit archives from our mothers or fathers. Our archives must be taught and learnt.<

>What about the possibility of ‘ancestral vision’, Cotton?<

>True, your highness. However, even loroi scientists have not been able to understand how ancestral vision works. Though it is likely a product of sanzai. While sanzai seems to be inherited and passed on from one loroi to the next, there seems to be no gene responsible for it. At best some genes may be responsible for brain construction. Sanzai forms depending on the synapses-<

>I think you are drifting away from the subject at hand, Listel.<

>Oh, forgive me, Emperor. Anyway ancestral vision comes most often in the form of dreams. However, it is not always a trustworthy source of history. Loroi that receive ancestral visions have described chronicles inconsistent with our records. For example, it is not uncommon for loroi to report visions of ancient warriors engaging in dialogue or battle. The only problem is how could such a fable be accurate if the loroi depicted within the vision lived in different eras separated by millennia? Some loroi have reported visions of ancient loroi treading on Sister Worlds where they couldn’t possibly have existed. Not without star flight capabilities. And occasionally loroi have had visions of loroi with zoomorphic traits, like the serpentine roseil (half loroi, half fish). Such creatures couldn’t possibly have evolved along scientific principles. And I doubt the Soia would have created such silly hybrids.<

>Yet the Soia would create other races from their blood,< added Greywind, >molded in the image of alien creatures.<

Cotton smirked at the irony. >So it seems. My point is there are endless examples discrediting the reliability of ancestral vision. Loroi scientists and psychologists have only been able to deduce that, since every loroi has numerous ancestors, the ancestral knowledge (as it would be) blends together. Creating a mess of disordered information. Combining that with our primitive ancestors’ narrow understanding before scientific enlightenment does not speak well in its favor. That is not to say that ancestral vision is completely useless. It has helped to solve some historical mysteries. But only after passing under the scrutiny of Listels and historical scholars.<

>What about the unidentified flying object I saw?<

>The tetrahedron? Intriguing I admit. But there is no record of tetrahedron-shaped structures matching the one in your and Ben’s dream. At least not of the Precursor Empires. None that I am aware of. The Soia’s primary source of transportation seemed to be the Tonsillat. The Dread-stars. Whatever minor vessels the Soia seemed to employ remain speculative.<

>So you think that what I saw is inconsequential?<

>I don’t know. Emperor. According to what you have shared with me regarding your previous delves into the dreamscape, Ben’s dreams seem to entail fictional scenarios.<

>Provided Tempo and I did not direct Ben to recall on an actual memory.<

>And during these delves, you visited scenes reminiscent of his time on Grind. Correct? Where he spent much of his time watching recordings or reading booklets littered with imagery pertaining Earth culture.< Cotton thought back to her studies of human history. >Ancient humans apparently built monolithic pyramids that resemble the tetrahedron you saw in your dream. Impressive structures. Even for primitives. Though none that could levitate as they were built from sand and stone. Ben seems also to have an affinity with imagery originating from the African cultures. African culture which, as I understand, was home to humans hundreds of thousands of years ago resembling the… proto-humans from your dream. All this historic knowledge is easily accessible to those fortunate enough to happen upon it. It seems reasonable to deduce that Lagertha happened to acquire recordings and booklets that she shared with Ben. It’s possible that Ben created a fictionalized projection from the historical and fictional imagery he was exposed to.<

>I understand, Listel. Maybe this dream meant nothing. What I saw seemed terrifyingly fantastic. Too fantastic to be true. Yet I cannot help but feel if it is.… something more. Even if the beast woman was just a projection, I heard her words in my head. I received the emotion carried by her voice. I was overwhelmed with… agony… rage… despair… sorrow… confusion… injustice… loss… feelings that seemed not my own. This same apparition that I saw for the second time now while bonding with Ben. I cannot help but wonder could this vision be a message?<

Cotton rested a contemplating finger to her chin. >I admit there have been experiments demonstrating the intelligence of the unconscious mind. Supposing that Ben does have some form of ancestral vision, it seems possible. Though his lineage from multiple sources may have muddled the integrity of his inherited memory (as it would be). However, we would be wise not to jump to conclusions. Perhaps with time we may unravel this mystery.<

>I see. Cotton, I want you to keep what we have shared secret. Use it if it will aid your research. Tempo and my Councilors are the only others aware. But whatever discoveries you make, you will report directly to me. No one else without my approval. Is that clear?<

Cotton bowed her head. >Completely, your highness.<

Greywind rose from her chair. >Now it is time for that family conference. Best that you join, Cotton, judging that you are about to become very involved with Ben’s upbringing here. As well as any future arrivals.<

Cotton regarded Greywind with surprise as she got up to follow. >Future arrivals, Emperor?!<

>You will see.<
Last edited by Snoofman on Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

:o Wow . . . just, wow!

The story is superb, and I hope Wolf can "backfill" some of the earlier chapters with his illustrations!
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Wow, you even "invented" a game for the higher-ups to play.

And it seems that the Loroi are still puzzled about the source of those strange dreams. Maybe it's from a comic that Ben had read?

gigachad

Post by gigachad »

The plot is getting more and more interesting great work! will the loroi be able to possibly see something closer to our time?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

gigachad wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:56 pm
The plot is getting more and more interesting great work! will the loroi be able to possibly see something closer to our time?
I cannot deny the possibility