A Chorus of Stars

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

raistlin34

Re: A Chorus of Stars

Post by raistlin34 »

Snoofman wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:01 pm

Greywind asked, >Tempo, is there a problem?<

>Yes, Azerein. Ben has been injured.<
Time to test Greywind's newfound mommy bear instincts.

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

Spring is a horny little bugger, ain't he? Needs to be hit with the horny bat.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Quickdraw101 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:43 pm
Spring is a horny little bugger, ain't he? Needs to be hit with the horny bat.
Bow chicka honk honk :mrgreen:

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

And now for something completely different:

A serious question for you faithful readers who have taken the time to comment (for which I am very thankful). I find myself going back often and changing old chapters because I want to change something that could have been better in retrospect. Or because I try to be faithful to the lore. Or ask myself, how realistic would this actually be? Or maybe I’m just being anal retentive. I have this idea that members of the coming revolution, including former insurgents that found sanctuary, are hiding on the outer frontiers of Dinnan Sector, as well as many members of Loroi gangers and criminals.

Mind you this isn’t Outsider lore, but I could picture Dinnan Sector being a former frontier of exploration and entrepreneurship. But, during and following the Great War, has suffered terrible neglect and degradation as the Loroi focused investing their expanse spinward into the former Umiak territories. Thus bringing the former expansion of the anti-spinward frontiers to a halt. Such neglect would make the frontier colonies of Dinnan Sector the Detroit (or Cleveland) of the Union.

In such a scenario, I could imagine the Imperials have less of a significant presence in the neglected regions of Dinnan Sector. Thus making it easier for gangs, criminal elements or axis factions to blossom.

Arioch has said repeatedly that in a society of telepaths, it’s hard to keep secrets. But in my story, it is possible for Loroi to keep secrets as long as they aren’t caught. They just can’t lie with sanzai (or rather lying telepathically is very difficult).

So I ask you, do you the readers think I should change part of the setting in Deliverance from Taben to a Loroi colony world further out in Dinnan Sector? Or could you imagine a criminal element thriving on Taben in spite of being incorporated into Deinar’s imperial system? Despite Taben's Beleri being a small continent (though not yet sure how small) home to less than 50 million Loroi?

I am probably not liable to change anything yet. I prefer to finish A Chorus of Stars first. But even so…

Let me know what you think!

Urist

Revolution Ideas

Post by Urist »

For what it's worth, keep in mind that as a general rule, political revolutions *cannot* be achieved solely by the "under-class" (serfs, peasants, farmers, workers, etc.). To be successful, a revolution needs help from at least one group that already has *significant* political power, but wants more power enough to overthrow the (few) people above them.

E.g. the US revolution was led by the upper-class wealthy elites (Washington, Jefferson, etc.), the French revolution was supported by a lot of senior army officers and government members, the Russian revolution saw lots of political elites opposing the Tsar, the *anti*-Soviet revolutions at the end of the cold war had support from a lot of senior government members, etc.

Therefore, since Taben *is* one of the 3 Sister Worlds, they likely *are* one of the more influential planets in the Union. They're the least-influential of the Sister Worlds, however, and so some of the senior Torrai/Mizol from Taben (or long stationed there) could plausibly form the 'elite' core of a nascent rebellion, even if most of the numbers of revolutionaries are from an outer sector like Dinnan.

Dunno how deep you want to go into the mechanics of how this sort of thing goes, but it passes the plausibility test easily.
Barrai Arrir

Snoofman

Re: Revolution Ideas

Post by Snoofman »

Urist wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:26 pm
For what it's worth, keep in mind that as a general rule, political revolutions *cannot* be achieved solely by the "under-class" (serfs, peasants, farmers, workers, etc.). To be successful, a revolution needs help from at least one group that already has *significant* political power, but wants more power enough to overthrow the (few) people above them.

E.g. the US revolution was led by the upper-class wealthy elites (Washington, Jefferson, etc.), the French revolution was supported by a lot of senior army officers and government members, the Russian revolution saw lots of political elites opposing the Tsar, the *anti*-Soviet revolutions at the end of the cold war had support from a lot of senior government members, etc.

Therefore, since Taben *is* one of the 3 Sister Worlds, they likely *are* one of the more influential planets in the Union. They're the least-influential of the Sister Worlds, however, and so some of the senior Torrai/Mizol from Taben (or long stationed there) could plausibly form the 'elite' core of a nascent rebellion, even if most of the numbers of revolutionaries are from an outer sector like Dinnan.

Dunno how deep you want to go into the mechanics of how this sort of thing goes, but it passes the plausibility test easily.
Thanks for your input. And good insight. I wouldn't cut Taben out of the picture. I was thinking of making a scenario in which Taben's Governor comes out to one of the Dinnan colonies where Endurance is hiding (probably Gaivet), inviting her to the revolution. If I decide to change it.

What I meant was could criminals thriving on Taben pass the plausibility test?

And I won't change anything until more people comment.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

I don't think it's implausible for an underground element to form in a society of aliens that aren't that much different than humans, with similar impulses and foibles. The range of sanzai is limited, save for farseers. A criminal would simply need to be a little farther away to be mostly secure in their mind, not to mention the ability of many Loroi to put up a lotai even if it isn't as complete as human's seem to be.
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

Urist

Re^2: Revolution Ideas

Post by Urist »

Ah, that's the angle you were going for.

On that topic, it definitely still passes the plausibility test.

For one, IIRC Arioch hasn't quite stated the 'range' at which a mizol can pick through someone's mind, but presumably you can't just toss one into every random street-corner checkpoint and scan everyone passing by. So it's not like the loroi are living in some 1984-esque world where every thought is monitored all the time. (or at least, that doesn't seem to be the angle that Arioch is writing towards)

Also, there's been no hint that the mizol are immune to corruption themselves. What happens when a mizol gets fairly high in her caste's hierarchy, but sees that for various reasons her career is pretty well stalled there and she's unlikely to ever get promoted to torrai? Sure, maybe nearly-all of them will be proud enough of their status as senior warriors to not be tempted to anything shady, but in an Empire of over 100 billion people... there are bound to be a few bad eggs. It's easy to imagine the character of a jaded mizol who decides to do anything from 'look the other way' from illegal activity happening under her watch to outright funneling illicit materials herself.
Barrai Arrir

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Disclaimer: This chapter contains some suggestive themes.

=== (+) ===

XV - A Brazen Incident

=== (+) ===

Ben did not feel well. His body ached. His head spun. His awareness moved in and out of focus. One moment he thought he recognized his surroundings before his mind went blank. In the next second he was somewhere else.

For one moment he thought he could see Doctor Yuan looming over him, prodding him with either fingers or tools. Ben could not be certain. He was positive there were Loroi surrounding him as well. Including Cotton.

Then his mind went blank again.

Next thing he knew Ben was staring up at lights passing by overhead. A face leaning over to stare at him before leaning out of his line of sight. He was too stiff and in pain to move.

His mind blacked out again. There was no passage of time. No dream or nightmare. Just falling into a complete lack of sensory before snapping back to reality.

All around Ben saw ghosts. The same ghosts that haunted his dreams. He saw the misty blob of foam dancing around him. He saw blue specters gliding through the endless black. He saw the cloud of singing sparkles following close behind the column of cinders swarming in a column of smoke.

This time Ben was not frightened. He just lay there, powerless, unable to do anything about their proximity. He didn’t even panic when the smoky column reached out an appendage and touched him. His skin stung at the contact, but still Ben was not overwhelmed by fear this time. He became dimly suspicious that he was asleep.

“Brrrm,” the blob of misty foam spoke through a muffle. “Krnuhurme?”

It’s just a dream, he told himself. It was all just a dream and yet it felt so real. But why? Why did this feel so real to Ben? What were these apparitions?

The apparitions spoke again, “Bren, kenu hur me?”

The darkness and apparitions instantly faded into nothing as the light of the subterranean lab’s ceiling flooded his eyes. It took several seconds to realize there were people surrounding him.

“Can you hear me? Can you hear me, Ben?” He picked up Cotton’s voice, “Ben? Are you alright?”

Ben looked to his right to see Cotton by his side. “Cotton?”

“Hello, Ben,” said Doctor Yuan, standing on his left. “How are you feeling?”

Ben groaned as he tried moving. “Ow! My body aches.”

“That seems to be normal,” Cotton informed him. “You’ve been unconscious for a while. The medicine is working to repair your injuries. Just lie still.”

Ben took notice of Greywind and Tempo standing behind Yuan. “Emperor?”

“I’m relieved to see you are well and recovering, Ben,” said Greywind.

Ben was about to ask what happened. But just thinking of that inquiry brought back a queue of recent, terrible memories. Ben’s muscles tensed, adding to the strain they were already under. He gasped for air. His eyes turned bleary as the memory of what he had gone through overwhelmed him.

Ben ought to have sucked up the pain and mustered his courage. But all sense of warrior courage and pride failed him as the thirteen-year old boy began sobbing uncontrollably.

Greywind walked past Yuan to stroke Ben’s head, careful not to cause any more damage. “It’s alright, Ben,” the Emperor soothed. “You are safe and recovering. You have nothing to fear.”

“Emperor!” Ben sobbed out, feeling ashamed and embarrassed as the tears rolled freely. He felt so weak. So cowardly and pathetic. “I’m sorry,” he begged through his sobs. “I’m sorry. I tried to stand up to them. But she was too strong. I- I couldn’t- she pushed- Arno!” Ben suddenly remembered a dog at the scene. “Arno! Where’s Arno?!”

“Calm down, Ben,” Greywind urged him. “You must calm down. Arno’s dead. There is nothing to be done.”

“Emperor, I’m sorry I failed you. I was supposed to stand up-”

“Quiet now, First Son,” Greywind urged him. Her fingers rubbed his golden hair. “You have nothing to apologize for. Just rest now. You must lie still until you recover from your injuries.” She bent over to kiss his forehead. “Rest. I have important matters to attend to. Cotton, Doctor Yuan and the Doranzers will be here to take care of you.”

Greywind turned her back and left with Tempo close behind as they departed through the main lift.

“C-Cotton,” Ben whimpered. “Cotton, please don’t leave me alone.”

“I am not going anywhere,” Cotton assured her charge. She gently rubbed his head in comfort. “I will be right here with you.”

“Just lie still and rest, Ben,” said Yuan. “You’ll be on your feet again in no time.”

Yuan left for the next room.

Doranzer Goodblood sat behind a holographic monitor, reviewing the last scan they took of Ben’s anatomy.

“Any abnormalities?” Yuan asked.

“There seem to be none, Doctor Yuan,” Goodblood replied. “Collagen agents have repaired the bones. The mild tears of his muscles are slowly healing.”

“Brain damage?”

“A mild concussion. Ben will have to remain still for the next few days as he recovers. He is very lucky, considering this damage was inflicted by an Unsheathed.”

“A concussion is usually recoverable,” said Yuan. “But in Terran space, some of those other injuries would considered irreparable. We’re very lucky to have Loroi medical tech. I’d hate to see Ben forced to walk with a crutch for the rest of his life.”

=== (+) ===

Soroin Pideir Stalactite sat in isolation within the arena. On either side of her sat Gallen Lonzet Leadpoint and Teidar Brass Shield. Brass Shield had been stripped of her amplifier and amenities. Stalactite’s and Leadpoint’s devices were also confiscated. Four Praetorians stood guard around them. No one was permitted to come near them without the Emperor’s consent.

The three captives looked up as a familiar presence entered their range. Their sire marched up to them, her blue fists clenched. Rage burned in her eyes. Greywind looked down at her progeny, stopping a few paces from them.

>Stalactite!< Greywind sent, her tone was as sharp and acrid as black smoke. >You will tell me what happened. I want to know what you were doing with Arno. Why was Ben there? And why was he injured?<

Stalactite swallowed and explained, >Azerein, please, it was an accident.<

>How did it happen?< Greywind demanded an answer.

Stalactite looked down at her captive kin before addressing the Emperor, >It was just some fun. Brass Shield, Leadpoint and I were just enjoying ourselves on the beech with some dance and drinks. Some of the children wanted to join us, but we chased them away. We just wanted to celebrate alone without human company. Arno was also with them. He walked up to us, curious and friendly. We haven’t seen much of these dog creatures that the creche seems to have adopted along with the humans. So it was intriguing to have the dog creature all to ourselves. Brass Shield suddenly had an idea. Using her powers, she began guiding the dog along the beech, further away from the party. It was amusing to watch an animal be pushed by invisible forces… initially.

>Arno seemed very confused and frightened as Brass Shield continued to poke and prod it with her psychokinesis. It seemed humorous. It was just harmless fun. Soon Brass Shield became more forceful. She began hefting the dog into the air, tossing it around. The animal began to whimper, confused as to what was happening to it. It was harmless. That’s when Ben came. Apparently the little human happened to see us taking the dog away and followed us. He didn’t seem to like how we treated the dog.

>”Stop being cruel to the dog,” he demanded.

>I tried pushing him away, saying, “Mind your own business, Ben. Go back to the party.”

>Brass Shield kept pushing the dog with her powers. But then she got forceful, hitting the dog with a telekinetic shove. It didn’t kill the dog, but it was significantly strong. Ben seemed to become angry. Rushing at Brass Shield, he shoved her.

>”Stop it,” he shouted. “Leave Arno alone!”

>I saw Brass Shield’s anger flare briefly. But she seemed more amused than angry. She pushed Ben back with her powers. The little human looked positively flustered as he shot up to his feet, launching himself at Brass Shield again and again. It was quite funny at first to see a human just mindlessly throw himself at an Unsheathed like a thoughtless husk.

>Ben snarled at Brass Shield, “Coward! Why won’t you fight me without powers? Too scared?!”

>He should have kept his stupid mouth shut. Because Brass Shield did just that. “Let us have a duel,” she challenged the little human. “No powers. No weapons. Let us see how strong the Emperor’s little pet really is.”

>That seemed to set Ben off as he lunged for Brass Shield. It was strange to see a shorter creature taking on a taller warrior. A Teidar no less. Brass Shield seemed content to brush off his assaults. She smacked him a bit, laughing each time she knocked Ben off his feet easily. But then Ben got the jump on Brass Shield. He hit her across the face. The little human was stupid but fearless. I’ll give him that.

>Brass Shield seemed to become angrier. Soon the two of them were wrestling. Brass Shield beat her fists into his ribs while he pulled at her long hair. No matter what Brass Shield hurled at Ben, he just would not give up. Arno seemed to sense the danger Ben was in. How strange that such a beast can be so loyal to a human. The dog lunged at Brass Shield, biting her leg. I could see its thoughts burning with ferocity, intent on protecting Ben.

>Suddenly Brass Shield's eyes burned fiery yellow. Enraged at the assault by the beast, she used her powers to beat Arno into the ground. I heard bones crack followed by the dog’s painful whimpers. “Stupid beast!” Brass Shield snarled at Arno.

>Ben looked furious at what Brass Shield had done. He charged full force at the Teidar. Brass Shield used her powers to toss Ben through the air. He crashed into the sand, struggling to get back up to launch himself at Brass Shield again and again. But each time Brass Shield just used her powers to throw him around. She kept this up for many bimas.

>I urged Brass Shield, “That’s enough. Let him be now.” But she wasn’t finished. Brass Shield kept throwing Ben’s body around, like a child tossing a doll. Ben tried pushing back, but Brass pushed harder. I tried stopping her, urging her to stop, but her powers kept me at bay.

>At one point she straddled Ben, snarling as she wrapped her fingers around his throat, “Animal! You are an animal! You are not one of us! You are a pet given a warrior’s honor!” Her powers crushed Ben even harder. She didn’t stop. Not even when Ben was crying out in pain.

>Brass Shield kept taunting, “I could kill you! I could kill you, human, and it would not matter! Because you are an animal! Not worthy of the shit on my boots! Why does our sire favor you so much? It makes me sick to think of you as the Emperor’s First Son. Beg for your life, human! Beg for your life if you even hope that I will spare you!”

>Ben cried, but he did not plea. Her powers pressed him even harder. I swear I heard something snap. A few snaps actually. “Plea! Beg for forgiveness!” she said. I could feel that she tried forcing her way into his mind. Even if the human lotai is impenetrable, attempting forceful entry is still painful for humans.<

Greywind asked, >Who stopped Brass Shield then?<

>Rainlash,< came Stalactite’s answer. >We were so focused on the fight that no one seemed to notice the elder’s approach until she was halfway into our range. Brass Shield released Ben as she winced in pain, holding her palms to her head. It became obvious that Rainlash was attacking her mentally. Brass Shield meant to fight back, but she was powerless against the elder. Brass Shield seems the superior Teidar. But Rainlash seemed a superior mind as she crippled Brass Shield with a thought. I envy her for her talents. Soon the guards arrived upon Rainlash’s summons and… well… I think my Emperor knows the rest.<

Greywind turned her gaze to Brass Shield. >Do you deny every speck of this?<

Brass Shield glared up at her sire. “No,” her reply was fearless as she omitted wrathful defiance. Her essence burned like hot metal.

>Why?< Greywind asked. >Why kill the dog?<

>We were just having fun with the beast,< Brass Shield justified. >If Ben had not interfered, we would have had our fun and let it go.<

>The fact that Ben had the wisdom to acknowledge the animal was in pain while you prodded Arno for your amusement is disgraceful,< sent Greywind. >Ben has more honor than all three of you-<

>BEN IS AN ANIMAL!< Brass Shield snarled. >Just like that dog! He doesn’t even belong here! What do you even see in him? Why do you keep him? What is so bloody special about that creature?<

Greywind stepped within arm’s reach of Brass Shield before slapping her palm across the Teidar’s face. Some might interpret a slap to be a weak blow. But, with the right technique, a slap to the head can be hazardous. Brass Shield feel to the side, cradling her dizzy head as she recovered from the blow.

>Ben is a member of our familial clan!< Greywind sent fiercely. >You grew up with him. All of you did.<

Brass Shield cradled her face, glaring up at her sire. >Ben isn’t even one of us, and yet you love that alien more than your own progeny,< she accused.

>You haven’t slightest idea of what love means!< Greywind shot back. >You are selfish! Apathic! Barbarous! You know nothing about love! And you know nothing about honor!< She turned her gaze to Stalactite and Leadpoint. >Shame! Shameful that you two dragged a faithful pet to torture for your amusement. Shameful that you allowed a bloodkin to torture and beat a member of our family.<

>We were just having fun,< Leadpoint feebly defended herself. >We didn’t mean for-<

>YOUR IDEA OF FUN IS DESPICABLE!< Greywind shouted. >Ben did right to come to the dog’s defense. Poor Arno had more courage than either of you when he fought to defend Ben. Shame!<

Greywind commanded the Praetorians to hold Stalactite by her arms and shoulders. Tempo presented a pair of scissors to the Emperor.

Stalactite whimpered, squirming as the Praetorians restrained her. >No, please,< she begged through bleary tears. >Not my hair.<

>Too late to beg,< sent Greywind. Taking a large bundle of Stalactite’s pale ice blue hair in her grip, Greywind pushed the edge of the scissors against the Soroin’s hair and cut.

>No! NO!< Stalactite let the tears drop. Every sound of severed fiber pained her.

Stalactite collapsed as the Praetorians released her, weeping, overwhelmed with shame and self-pity. Greywind and the Praetorians moved onto Leadpoint. She did not weep, but she grimaced, fighting against the tears as her hair was shorn.

Finally the Praetorians held Brass Shield.

Brass Shield showed no remorse or shame. She did not beg. Not even whimpered. Teidars were trained to be brave beyond measure. But Brass Shield was truly fearless.

Greywind pushed the edge of the scissors against Brass Shield’s rusty strands. Before cutting Brass Shield sent, >How can you favor Ben over me? Your own scion?<

>I favor all who exhibit virtue and comradeship,< sent Greywind. >Our family is supposed to lead by example. You have rejected our family’s doctrine for your own reckless indulgence. You never had to like Ben. But you did have to show decency.<

>Ben never belonged with us,< Brass Shield snarled. >None of these humans do. They are not our equals.<

Greywind’s grip tightened on Brass Shield’s hair. >These humans, who have only aided our familial clan, belong to the Union. They belong to our family. They belong to me. And no one hurts what belongs to me.<

Brass Shield did not even flinch as Greywind sheared her hair.

The Emperor turned to her Praetorians. >Take them into custody and get them out off the island.<

>As you command, Azerein,< Teidar Teigo Niberadi Blizzard complied. The three Praetorians lifted the three disgraced Loroi to their feet.

>I will arrange for a transport to take them to the Ieba Reformatory if you wish,< Tempo informed the Emperor.

Greywind handed the scissors back to her. >Make it so, Tempo. I will decide their fates later.<

Tempo left the Emperor alone, tapping her wristcomm to call in a shuttle.

Greywind left to address the residents and guests. On her way, she thought about Rainlash. It certainly struck the Emperor as odd for her mother to follow and rush to a human’s defense. The question was why? Greywind compartmentalized this pondering as she focused on what she would say to the everyone else. The announcement was certain to disturb the peace.

=== (+) ===

The children, especially the humans, were distraught to learn that one of their beloved dogs was killed. Equally concerned that one of their human peers was injured, but relieved to know he was recovering. The adults voiced their outrage, forcing Greywind to call them to order. Assuring them that the three instigators were being shipped off island. The old Emperor decided to stop celebrations that evening, sending the children to bed. Nearly everyone retired early.

Upon the human guardians’ suggestion, Arno was carried out to the grassy hills of the island the next morning. Sister Judith said a prayer on the faithful canine’s behalf as Arno was buried. Human children lay flowers at his grave. A few cried, weeping:

“Goodbye, Arno.”

“I love you, Arno.”

“You were a good dog.”

Following Arno’s burial, the humans, Loroi and aliens carried on. Yet some were not in the mood for celebrating. Arno’s death and Ben’s injury had disheartened many. Particularly his closest friends.

Greywind and the caregivers assembled her wards and progeny within the arena. The old Emperor sat within the circle of her children, save for toddlers and preschoolers who were still too young to understand and process this situation.

All around her Greywind could see the children’s faces, full fear, confusion and anger.

“My children,” the Emperor spoke. “As you may know, Ben has been injured. But he is recovering. So there is no need to worry. I understand that this must be difficult for some of you. Which is why I have called you all here. If anyone wishes to speak their thoughts or pose a question, you may do so now.”

Little Inva raised her hand. Greywind permitted her to speak. “Emperor, I’m scared.”

“I understand, Inva. But the three Loroi who were guilty of this shameful act have been sent away. So you have nothing to be afraid of.”

Kirk raised his hand. “Emperor, why did those three Loroi kill the dog? Why did they hurt Ben?”

“They thought it was fun.” Greywind knew it was more complicated than that, but it was the simplest explanation due to speech’s inability to encapsulate the complexity of the incident as effectively as sanzai.

Ripley raised her hand. “Emperor, why would a Loroi think it’s fun to hurt another?”

“It is complicated, Ripley.”

“Are those three Loroi who hurt Ben or Arno ever coming back?”

“I do not know. But they will have to learn that what they did was unacceptable. But they will most definitely not be allowed to come near any of you.”

Soma raised his hand. “Emperor, I loved Arno. And I’m sad he’s dead.”

“And you have a right to be sad, Soma. Arno was a beautiful dog.” Indeed he was. Greywind remembered Caregiver Philip enlightening her about the different breeds of dogs, including golden retrievers to which Arno belonged.

Katniss silently sobbed.

Greywind acknowledged, “It is acceptable to be sad. It is acceptable to cry. If you must cry, children, then cry. So long as you never forget to be brave.”

A few more children cried, weeping for Arno. Weeping for Ben.

“While Ben is recovering, I would like all of you to take the time to reflect on what has happened. But do not entertain thoughts of aggression or revenge. The three guilty Loroi are being punished. If you feel troubled, speak with your caregivers. I suggest that you all come together to show Ben your support. A gift or a message would be a good idea. I will not command you to do so. But I expect it. After all, if you were hurt, wouldn’t you want your friends to comfort you?”

The answers came intermittently:

“Yes, Emperor.”

“Annan.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Yup.”

“I am pleased you understand. Before we finish this meeting, I want all my human wards to know this: you have nothing to be afraid of. Always remember you are my children. And this is your family. Defend one another. Defend the Loroi. And the Loroi will always defend you.” Greywind broadcasted: >My progeny and adoptees, never forget these humans are our family. They are not prisoners. They are not pets. They are our comrades. A good warrior never abuses her comrades.<

Greywind dismissed the assembly. Children and adults rose to their feet.

Katniss rushed up to Greywind. “Emperor?”

“Yes, Katniss?”

Katniss threw her arms around Greywind. “I love you.”

Seeing Katniss hug the Emperor, Ripley rushed up to Greywind to do the same. “I love you too, Emperor.”

Paul walked up, throwing his arms around the girls. “You’re the best blue mother ever.”

More children joined in, showing their love and appreciation for their warden. Greywind rested blue hands on their heads and shoulders, reminding them that their affection was reciprocated.

=== (+) ===

After the family meeting, the children and adults went about their business. Some recommenced festivities. Others found comfort in each other’s company, still upset over Arno’s death and Ben’s injury. Others lost the desire to celebrate and wanted to be alone. They distracted themselves with making art, training, watching films or playing video games.

The gaming lounge was permitted to be open all day long for the guests as well as the children. Kassad was in the zone of decimating Umiak gunboats in Lancer Blaster as he sat in the make-believe cockpit of a Biriradi.

Idaho, Sarah, Ember and Garnet entered the lounge, looking for Kassad.

“Hey, man,” said Idaho.

“Hey,” Kassad mumbled, firing blister torpedos at a Light Destroyer.

“Wow,” said Sarah, impressed with Kassad’s piloting skills. “You’ve gotten good, Kassad.”

Kassad’s spectators watched a Light Destroyer erupt into a white fireball. An alarm signaled an approaching Strike Cruiser en route to intercept his craft. Kassad armed the scramblers to jam the Umiak vessel’s guidance systems as he dodged torpedoes and plasma beams.

“You’ve improved,” Ember complimented her human peer.

“Ember’s right,” Garnet agreed, most impressed. “You might make a good pilot one day.”

“Thanks,” Kassad mumbled with a shrug.

“Listen, uh, Beverly and Sasha asked us to help arrange some flowers,” said Idaho. “You know, for Arno and Ben. Want to help out?”

“No,” said Kassad.

“Um, okay,” said Idaho. “Let’s try this again. Arno's dead. Ben got hurt. Okay? When people get hurt, we humans are supposed to do a little something nice. It’s called… being supportive. Usually best expressed by visiting the injured in question. Can also be done by sending-”

“Stop being pedantic,” Kassad muttered, trying to maneuver his craft close to engage the Strike Cruiser. Its proximity defenses made it difficult.

“Dude, Ben’s our friend. Our big brother. Don’t you care?”

“Is Ben getting help from the Doranzers?”

“And Doc. And the Listels.”

“Then not my problem.”

Idaho couldn’t believe Kassad’s insensitivity. He slapped the back of Kassad’s seat, muttering, "Jerk-off."

Kassad glared at Idaho. “What’d you say to me, pirate boy?”

“You heard me!” Idaho flipped him the Trudeau salute as he stormed off. “You girls coming or what?”

“We are coming,” said Ember. She, Sarah and Garnet followed after.

Garnet hesitated, looking back at Idaho. “You go on,” she said to her peers. “I should not leave Kassad alone like this.”

“I don’t think this is the right time to be seducing people, Garnet,” said Sarah.

“Don’t get jealous, siirin,” Garnet shot back. “I am not going to seduce him. You should go make your gifts for Ben. Besides, you need to make sure Idaho doesn’t get too close to Moonrune. I hear the Emperor is allowing her a day off from probation.”

“What?” said Sarah. “Boy-loving offenders on the loose? Not in our house! Blueberry police on the job.”

“Copy,” said Glad, following Sarah out.

Ember suppressed a snicker, sending to Garnet, >Sarah and Glad are so weird.<

Garnet agreed, >Yes, they are.<

>Seriously you’re not going to try and seduce Kassad, are you?<

>As if I would try to mount him for all to see, sun child,< Garnet sent back.

>Repeat that and I promise you’ll be sorry.< Ember left with her peers.

Garnet walked back to the emulator where Kassad was seated. “Nice to see Ember and Idaho have reconciled.”

“I don’t want to talk about Ben,” said Kassad, clearly annoyed.

“I did not come back to talk about Ben,” said Garnet, sliding into a separate seat beside Kassad. “I want to play with you.”

Kassad looked skeptically at Garnet.

“If you have no objection.”

Kassad shrugged. “Tamam.”

While Garnet did not understand Arabic, she interpreted his monotone reply as an affirmative. She entered the battle with a Tornado Interceptor. Kassad tried again and again to get his Lancer close to the Strike Cruiser, but his warning lights warned he was in the line of fire.

“If you move in, the Shells will incinerate your craft,” said Garnet.

“I know,” Kassad muttered.

“Let’s withdraw out of range of their plasma cannons. I have a plan.”

Kassad did as Garnet suggested. Together the Lancer and Tornado pulled away from the Strike Cruiser.

“Deactivate your jammer,” Garnet instructed.

“But they’ll be able to lock on us again,” Kassad warned.

“That’s part of the plan.”

Kassad did as Garnet said. The Strike Cruiser honed in on their position.

“Hold this position,” said Garnet. “Don’t do anything until I give the order.”

The Tornado charged the Strike Cruiser head on. Garnet kept an eye on her proximity safety monitor to stay just outside of the plasma cannon’s lethal range. But close enough for the Umiak vessel to lock on. It fired six torpedos. Garent veered her craft away from the Cruiser, allowing the torpedoes to chase. She accelerated at 40 Gs. As long as she could accelerate until her speed matched the torpedos she’d be safely out of their reach.

“Now fire at the Cruiser,” Garnet instructed.

Kassad was starting to like this. Some boys might be disheartened at taking orders from a girl. Kassad didn’t mind as long as the girl was smart. Targeting the Cruiser, Kassad fired a torpedo. The Umiak Cruiser seemed to lose interest in pursuing the Tornado as it turned in Kassad’s direction.

“Reverse thrust, Kassad,” Garnet ordered. “Stay out of its range.”

Kassad complied, turning his Lancer one-hundred eighty degrees as he accelerated away from the pursuing Strike Cruiser. Garnet meanwhile brought her Tornado around in a full arc, still being pursued by torpedos. Placing herself right behind the Strike Cruiser,’s exhaust port, Garnet charged.

“When I give the order, activate the jammer again,” said Garnet.

“But I won’t be able to auto lock,” Kassad warned.

“Neither will the Shells. Just be ready. And keep shooting at the Cruiser.”

Kassad followed Garnet’s command, aggravating the Umiak vessel with another torpedo. Garnet’s Tornado approached the Cruiser from behind. She waited until she was just close enough.

She ordered, “Now!”

Kassad hit the jammer, disrupting all guidance systems. Garnet adjusted her Tornado’s angle of approach to shoot right past the Cruiser. The enemy’s torpedos, unable to adjust their course due to jamming, stayed straight on their course. The Strike Cruiser, happening to be in their path, took a beating. Its blue shields flared as they tried absorbing the impact. But two torpedos broke through the outer screen and penetrated the hull. The Umiak Cruiser erupted into a white star.

“Awesome!” Kassad cheered. He held up his hand for Garnet, who rewarded it with a high-five. “Them space roaches never stood a chance.”

“Can’t be a roach without a shell,” said Garnet. “I love this game.”

“Me too,” Kassad agreed.

The two sat in silence a moment, basking in their victory over the simulator.

Garnet broke the silence with a spontaneous question, “Kassad, do you hate me?”

That struck the eleven-year old as a weird question. “What?”

“Do you hate me?”

“Bu- I- Of course not. I could never hate you, Garnet. I like you.”

“Do you hate the Loroi?”

“I guess not… as long as they’re not trying to kill us humans.”

“Fair enough. Do you hate Ben?”

Kassad groaned aggravation. “So you do want to talk about him?”

“I just want to know.”

“I don’t want to talk about this.”

Garnet’s lips pursed into a scowl. Checking that no one saw them in their corner, she climbed over the armrest and plopped down on Kassad’s lap. She grabbed hold of the eleven-year old boy’s chin.

“Hey, what the hell are you-” Kassad didn’t get to finish cursing as Garnet pressed her lips against his. He stared, eyes bulging as Garnet violated the rules of physical contact as well as his comfort zone.

Garnet broke the kiss. “I will make you a deal. If you tell me why you hate Ben, I’ll reward you with another kiss. How does that appeal to you?”

Kassad struggled to get his thoughts in order. As beautiful as Garnet was, even Kassad knew better than to go against the rules. Especially considering he was sick of being punished.

Garnet sighed, letting go of his chin. She waited expectantly on his lap. “Meet me in my room. If you dare,” Garnet instructed, hopping off Kassad and walking away.

Kassad just sat in the simulator, contemplating if he should forget about Garnet’s offer or share what was on his mind. Honestly he wasn’t comfortable dealing with these hefty emotions and thought about just going back to gaming. But the smokey vanilla taste from Garnet’s ice-cool lips was irresistible. What harm could it do to talk about dumb shit if Garnet is offering a kiss? Kassad thought. It went against the rules, but as long as nobody saw it.

Leaving the gaming lounge, Kassad headed for the dorms. No one was around since they were partaking in the celebrations.

He entered Garnet’s bedroom where she waited.

“Close the door,” she said, standing with her hands behind her back.

Kassad entered, tapping the panel to seal the door. The young Loroi coaxed him over with a wave of her finger. He walked right up to her, swallowing down his nervousness. For a five-year old, Garnet was tall. Taller than him by a few centimeters. Than again she was Loroi.

“So then,” she began, ”do you hate Ben?”

Kassad sighed, beginning to have second thoughts.

“Well?”

“I don’t know,” was Kassad’s answer.

“How can you not know if you love or hate someone?”

“I never said I hated him.”

Garnet quirked an eyebrow. “But you don’t seem to like him either.”

Kassad looked away from Garnet. “It’s complicated.”

“Try to make it seem simple then.”

Kassad took a seat on Garnet’s bed. “I guess it’s because he’s a pirate child.”

Garnet’s brow furrowed. “What? That’s it?” She joined Kassad on the bed’s edge. “But half the human children here have pirate families. Like Idaho and Sarah. You don’t seem to have a problem with them. Are you saying you hate them too?”

“No. They’re okay… I guess.”

“So why Ben then?”

“I’m from Earth. My parents were killed by pirates and took me hostage.”

“I remember your story, Kassad. What the Terran Raiders did to you was terrible.”

“They pushed me around. Treated me like a slave. Beat me if I did a chore wrong. The Loroi saved me.”

“Yes, the Loroi did. And I’m glad Greywind adopted you. But what does Ben have to do with that? Is it because his mother was also a pirate?”

“Ben is a mama’s boy. He’s Greywind’s favorite.”

“That’s not true.”

“It is to me. He gets privileges we don’t.”

“But he also has responsibilities. Are you jealous?”

“No.”

Garnet suspected he was lying or in denial. “So what do you not like about him?”

“I-” Kassad wrestled with the feelings and frustrations. “I hate… ugh… out of all the kids, Greywind chose Ben to be in charge of us besides the adults.”

“That’s why you don’t like him?” Garnet wanted to laugh. “So you are jealous then.”

“No, I’m not!”

“Do you think Ben abuses his authority?”

“I don’t know.”

“Has Ben been cruel to you?”

“No.”

“Has he bullied you?”

“No.”

“Then what is the problem?”

Kassad groaned, very aggravated now. “I don’t want him to be in charge of my life! Or the adults! I want to be in charge of my own life!”

Garnet took a moment to process Kassad’s words. “Kassad, none of us have complete control of our own lives. We are all subservient to the Union. That’s just how civilization works. It’s dhalid.”

“Screw dhalid!”

“By ‘screw’ you mean ‘shred’?”

Kassad narrowed his eyes. “Duh.”

“Are you saying you don’t want to be a warrior like us?” Garnet was saddened by the thought.

“Would you hate me if I didn’t want to?”

Garnet thought it over. “I would be sad. But I could never hate you.”

“But I thought warriors hated civilians because they’re all dropouts.”

“It’s more complicated than that, Kassad. Not all Loroi feel that way. But seriously… are you thinking of not becoming a warrior?”

“I don’t know. If I don’t, then I fail the trials. And some of the Loroi here will hate me. If I do become a warrior, I feel like I won’t have control of my own dhalid. My own destiny.”

“Is that why you’re angry? You feel like your control is being taken away?”

“I’ve been here for five years. Ever since I lost my parents, I’ve just done everything the Loroi want. The adults decide what I do. Greywind decides what I’m going to do after diral training. And Ben just-” Kassad groaned. “Ben just sucks up to them.”

“Sucks up? I don’t understand.”

“He just happily obeys them to be their favorite. He calls himself a big brother, but he just tells me what to do.”

“Well, maybe he wouldn’t if you weren’t starting fist fights frequently.”

“You’re supposed to be on my side, Garnet.”

“This isn’t about sides, Kassad. We are all part of the same family. And family members always support each other. Maybe you are right. Maybe Ben just likes to be Greywind’s favorite.”

“See?”

“But that doesn’t mean he’s bad. I grew up alongside humans. Ben has always been good to me. He’s been friendly to all the newcomers. He stops bullies. He even stood up to a Teidar torturing a dog. He is wonderful.”

“Ugh,” Kassad wanted to barf. “Why don’t you marry him then?”

Garnet sighed. “Honestly I think you seem insensitive from time to time, Kassad. But you are wonderful too, Kassad. You are fearless. You annoy the elders. Which is not proper but still funny.”

Kassad smirked. “Yeah. I guess it is.”

Garnet rose to her feet. Standing over Kassad, she rested her blue hands on the eleven-year old’s shoulders. “My point is Ben cares about you. Maybe he deserves the same.”

Kassad didn’t answer.

She leaned in closer. “I also care about you, Kassad.”

“I…” Kassad was taken aback by such kind affection. “I care about you too.”

Garnet rested her forehead against his. “I care about you… very much.”

The adolescent Loroi’s thoughts were slowly flooded with euphoric ardor. Kassad's warmth and spicy scent made it hard to resist the strange sensations she had been feeling lately.

Kassad’s tough-boy persona seemed to fail him as Garnet looked at him funny. “Um, what are you doing?”

Garnet brushed a few strands of her maroon hair behind her long ear. “I promised you a kiss.”

Kassad’s face reddened as she gently pushed him onto his back, his legs hanging off the edge of the bed. Garnet straddled him and pressed her lips against his own. She gazed into his brown eyes as she broke the kiss.

Her hips navigated Terran surface. Kassad blushed as the Loroi’s motions disturbed his peace of mind. The disturbance flared into flame. Garnet suppressed a yelp as she registered that flame’s solidity. Though separated by the protective layer of their uniforms, the fire wedged between them intensified. Garnet trembled, her breath shuttering. She wasn't lying initially when she promised not to seduce Kassad. But having him under her now made it hard to keep some commitments.

Kassad panicked. “Um, Garnet, maybe we shouldn’t, um, be doing this. Um, not that I like it- I mean, um, I do. But I can’t-”

Garnet put a finger to his lips while stroking her maroon hair behind one blue ear. “Humans seem to say ‘um’ too much.”

She sat up, firmly pressing her weight down onto him.

Kassad moaned nervously as the tingling flame burned stronger. “Wait! We could get in trouble-”

“Relax, Kassad,” Garnet tried putting his mind at ease. “We only broke the rule of kissing. No one saw us. No one sees us now. They are all outside.”

“But we’re not allowed to couple!”

“Coupling requires sheathing. Your uniform shields you from me. My uniform shields me from you. Therefore it does not count. As long as we go no further than this, we are safe.”

“But if the elders find out-”

“I’ve become quite talented at keeping secrets while omitting truth myself,” Garnet assured him, resting her hands on his belly. “You are right. It is frustrating not to have control of your life. I sympathize. Obeying the rules is frustrating. Just let me have this.”

Kassad lost the will to fight as the flame wedged between them grew hotter. Garnet felt its burn, her left pair of fingers scraped against the fabric of his uniform. Gritting through clenched teeth, Garnet slammed her right palm into the mattress beside Kassad’s ribs. Her nails dug into the bed as she mustered up all her discipline to stop herself from going all the way.

To distract herself from the terrible temptation, she began reciting a song her older kin taught her. Basking in the heat of the moment, she sang:

“Nan me tezair monnen mimetsaro.
Dinos me tezair monnen mimetsaro.
Nestas me tezair monnen mimetsaro.
Danzos me tezair monnen mimetsaro.”

=== (+) ===

Io was distraught upon learning Ben had gotten hurt. She was having second thoughts about being adopted at this creche. But the kindness of her peers, save for the few she found making fun of her condition, reminded her that she was not in a bad place. This positivity was further reinforced when Sarah, Idaho, Ember and Glad approached her, asking if she wanted to help them make a bouquet of flowers for Ben.

Io eagerly joined her new friends in the gardens to help out.

Her ears tickled as they registered the scissors snipping into flower stems, leaves rustling against one another as they organized the bundle of flowers.

While the Loroi also found flowers appealing, the act of offering plants as salutary gifts or expressions of intimacy struck the Loroi as odd.

“Hey, Io,” said Sarah. “Did you know that, when the Loroi learnt we humans like giving flowers to people we love, the kids at that time tore up all the flowers in the garden to gift to the boys?”

Io eyed Sarah strangely. While her hearing had definitely improved, speech was still new to her. It would take time before Io could associate certain sounds with words. Sarah typed her message instead on the Robin phone.

Io giggled after reading. “F-f-f-fu-ee! F-fu-ee!”

“What?” Sarah asked.

Io typed back: That’s funny.

“I was actually there to witness that,” said Moonrune. “The elders were very upset when they found out we destroyed half the garden.”

“Speak for yourself,” said Ironwood. “You and the others ripped up all the flowers.”

“Well you did ask for a bundle to give to one of the new boys.”

“I did not.”

>Liar,< Moonrune cursed.

>Hussy,< Ironwood shot back.

“Moonrune speaks true,” said Sasha. “I remember she give big bundle of flowers to little Softwood.”

Moonrune laughed, “Ha! Told you!”

Ironwood winked at Moonrune, sticking out her tongue.

“Here, Moonrune,” said Idaho. He motioned for her to bend down as he fit the flower behind her ear.

Moonrune accepted the gift. “Thanks, Idaho.”

“Idaho!” Beverly spoke up. She shook her head, waving a finger.

“What? It’s just a gift.” Idaho skipped away.

“Go get us some water from the kitchen. We need to drink.”

“Why? Can’t the servants do it?”

“Idaho, the servants work hard everyday for you. The least you can do is give them a break.”

Idaho whined, “Fine, I’ll be your slave.” He marched off, but not before offering Moonrune a wink.

Moonrune smirked, blushing shamelessly at the gesture.

“Moonrune,” Beverly warned. “I’m watching you.”

Glad looked up as she recognized a presence enter her ranger. “Look who is coming to join us!”

The children looked up and, to their surprise, saw Kassad and Garnet walking side by side.

Kassad asked, “Hey, um… can I… help out?”

Sarah smiled up at Kassad. “The more, the merrier.”

“If you want to help, Kassad, could you get us some more twine? We need to bind the flowers. We’re going to make some bouquets for Arno’s grave. And then we can move onto Ben’s flowers.”

“On it,” said Kassad, jogging off to complete his task.

Garnet took her place by her kin to help arrange the flowers. Her kin could clearly see her aura bubbling with arduous joy.

>Garnet,< sent Ember. >Did you just do what I think you just did?<

Garnet blushed, casting her gaze down shamefully. Her confidence in concealing secrets cracked as she spilled out recent memories of “Give me Eight,” intimate oscillations and the taste of human lips.

The Loroi helping with the flowers around the table picked it up.

Ember was shocked. >You didn't!<

>Not so loud,< Garnet urged her kin to keep it in their group.

>You are going to be in so much trouble,< Glad despaired.

>We didn't sheathe,< Garnet defended. >I just sat on him.<

>Sat?! You were grinding your-<

>Quiet!< Moonrune instructed, >Everyone listen! I promise to make it up to you if you can keep this a secret.<

>But we’re supposed to report misconduct,< sent Glad.

>Some friend you are,< Garnet snarled at Glad.

>Under normal circumstances, yes, we are supposed to report it,< sent Moonrune. >But Garnet managed to convince Kassad to stop being a cancer boat and help. Rules are good, but sometimes you have to bend them for your friends.<

>Of course you would come up with that convenient excuse, hussy,< sent Ironwood.

Moonrune jabbed two fingers under her chin. >Up your submental! Stop being a prig and stand up for your kin!<

Beverly couldn’t help but notice the looks of shock and intense stares the Loroi silently exchanged. “Everything alright, girls?” she asked.

Ironwood considered exposing the truth. But her kin's pleading looks gave her pause. She said, “No, Miss Miller. Just some teasing.”

Beverly arched a skeptical eyebrow, but accepted Ironwood’s answer. “Good.”

Ironwood looked around at her kin. >Happy now?<

Garnet beamed with gratitude, >Best half-sister ever!<

>So... did you feel it when you sat on Kassad?< Ember inquired.

Garnet blushed bashfully. >I did.<

>And you actually sang while you rode?< Moonrune smirked amusedly. >Good choice of song.<

Upon Moonrise’s insistence, the girls began singing together much to their human companions’ confusion. Servants, guests and caregivers passing by distanced themselves from the odd bunch as they sang aloud:

“Nan me tezair monnen mimetsaro.
Dinos me tezair monnen mimetsaro.
Nestas me tezair monnen mimetsaro.
Danzos me tezair monnen mimetsaro.”

Io asked Sarah as she typed: What are they doing?

Sarah wrote back: They’re singing, “Give me Eight.”

Io: What’s that?

Sarah: It’s a naughty song.

Io: I don’t get it. How is it naughty?

Sarah explained how “Give me Eight” was an old song, probably dating as far back as Deinar’s Golden Age. Originally intended to be a creative method of teaching Loroi youngsters multiplication, naughty Loroi couldn’t help but interlace some suggestive undertones into the melody after learning about the molecular mechanics of procreation. A useful spoken tool for annoying prigs or prudes.

Io seemed to understand as she typed: Oh so it’s a naughty song about making babies.

Sarah replied: Yup.

Sarah burst into laughter after Io wrote back: These blue elves are gross like boys.
Last edited by Snoofman on Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

XVI - Prayers and Songs

=== (+) ===

Nedatan Titennus Sage Glory wanted to pay the shrine a visit. He did not find comfort in spiritual iconography or ritualistic recitations. But the atmosphere of spiritual gatherings offered serenity. He was also eager to speak with Sister Judith de la Cruz. He found her amidst a small assembly of humans as well as Ambassador Ziga.

“For Ben’s hasty recovery and for the spirit of Arno, we pray,” said Judith.

The spiritualists, young and old, surrounding Judith said together, “We pray.”

Judith caught sight of Sage Glory followed by his Detair. With a slight wave of her hand, she guided them to join.

“If anyone would like to offer a personal prayer, please do so now,” said Judith.

One by one the humans offered their prayers.

Nyota spoke, “Merciful Lord, please watch over Ben for us. And pass your blessings onto the good Loroi here who have protected us and given us a good home. And have mercy on Stalactite, Leadpoint and Brass Shield. For though what they did was wrong, maybe there is still good in them. Amen.”

Caregiver Philip prayed, “God, be with us.”

Eleven-year old Maya, a former Aldean of Israeli descent, prayed, “Oh Yahweh, we praise you and give thanks for all your gifts. Please protect us.”

Ten-year old Samar offered her prayers, “Great Allah, blessed be he, do not withhold your blessings. Keep us on the righteous path so that we may not be tempted away from your grace.”

Motoko put forward a small pedestal with a plate of two smoldering incense sticks impaled in a bowl of rice. The cooks were not happy about wasting a portion of rice for a ritual considering they only had a few imported bags left. But it was important to Motoko. She clapped her hands twice and, with palms pressed together, bowed as she silently offered her best wishes for Ben.

Ziga spoke, "Divine Gatherers, watch over our little brother, Ben. Watch over all at this creche. Let your light guide us toward the path of goodness. Give these children the strength and courage to stand up to injustice as our little brother Ben stood up to injustice. May our little Loroi sisters never be tempted by evil desires."

One by one the small group of worshippers made their prayers or offerings.

“Titennus Sage Glory,” Judith got the Cardinal’s attention, “would you like to offer a prayer?”

Sage Glory was surprised by the request. “Me?”

“We would be honored to hear your thoughts and well wishes if you have any to offer.”

Sage Glory’s prayer, if it could be considered such, was not meant for invisible deities. As these humans could not receive sanzai, he voiced his thoughts, “Clash. Clash against your rage. Though the flame is strong, do not cower against its burn. Brave. Brave against the wind of cowardice. Though the storm may knock you off your feet, stand your ground against its push. Rise. Rise above the flood of despair. Though it pulls you under to drown all hope, swim always for up for air. Treasure. Treasure that which benefits you. Give it not reason to turn against you and never suffer its hostility.”

The humans offered some puzzled and intrigued looks at the Cardinal.

Judith offered a grateful smile. “Thank you all for your well wishes and prayers. Let us go about our business then and keep Ben in our hearts.”

The humans and Ziga left the shrine.

Detair Mogin Frostbite tensed as Judith approached the Cardinal. Sage Glory urged his Detair, >Relax.<

“That was a beautiful prayer, Titennos,” said Judith.

“A Loroi would consider it less a prayer and more a council,” said Sage Glory. “Prayer is foreign concept to many Loroi. They simply do not see the use in broadcasting a message to invisible entities beyond all scope.” He could see something akin to sadness in Judith’s eyes. Fearing his words might be hurtful, Sage Glory added, “Still… the spiritual and philosophical practices of humanity are… intriguing. And serene. Would you walk with me, Sister Judif?”

Judith refrained from chuckling at the Cardinal’s mispronunciation. Most Loroi were not good at pronouncing ‘th’. They strode together in the gardens with Frostbite a short distance behind them.

“I cannot help but suspect that you seem sad, Sister Judif,” Sage Glory commented. “Is there something troubling you?”

“Are you sure you want a piece of my mind?” Judith asked.

The Cardinal laughed. “Moio sagit.”

“I have quite a bit troubling me, actually,” Judith admitted. “Ben’s injury. The death of one of our dogs. The threat of war.”

“Indeed. These are all terrible misfortunes that weigh on the mind.”

“Actually, I have been thinking about returning to Terran space.”

This surprised the Cardinal. “Really? But your contract has not yet expired.”

“I know. I’ve asked the Emperor if she would arrange for my journey home. But she seems reluctant.”

“Well, the Emperor does seem fond of you. Of all the human residents here. I feel compelled to confess you’ve made a few Deacons and Cardinals jealous.”

That surprised Judith. “Jealous?”

“It takes half a nestas for a Nedatan to build his reputation and earn high status. Even more challenging if he wishes to earn a seat of influence near the ruling party of warriors. It typically takes a Nedatan half a lifetime to merely stand close to a Loroi of high rank. But you, Sister Judif, managed to stand close to the Emperor without even trying.”

“I’m just doing my duty,” said Judith. “To nurture and guide these children. To show them there’s a better way.”

“So why then would you want to abandon your duties and return to Terran space?”

“I need to rekindle my faith.”

“In your religion?”

Judith nodded.

Sage Glory silently contemplated Judith’s words a moment. “Sister Judif. During my service aboard Cry of the Wind, I assisted ambassadors in their exchanges with Barsam clerics. I am not impressed by their religion, but their desire for companionship among sapients is admirable. And, occasionally, they shared with us Nedatans unique spiritual and philosophical ideas that enhance our understanding. As I understand from our past discussions, you are well educated in other Terran religions. Correct?”

“Yes, Titennos.”

“When the festival is finished, would you be interested in accompanying my brethren and I back to the Toridas Monastery?”

“Excuse me?”

“I would like to learn more about Terran religions and philosophies. To enhance my understanding of humanity.”

“But I thought you had libraries for that.”

“Our archives are helpful, but we can only interpret them as Loroi. With your knowledge, perhaps you could help us understand from a human perspective.”

"But wouldn't that mean I'd have to live with the menfolk at your Monastery?"

"For convenience's sake, yes."

“I-” Judith was taken aback by such a request. “I- I… really don’t now what to say to that. I-I’d have to, um, think about it. B-b-but I-I-I’m not sure what Emperor Greywind would say.”

“I will speak with the Emperor, Sister Judif. I am confident I can persuade her. Take your time to consider my offer. But first I must ask one thing: if you choose to accompany us to the Monastery, will you be expecting mating encounter?”

“What?!” Judith sputtered, “I- that- de- certainly not! I am a nun… in case that wasn’t obvious enough.”

Sage Glory smiled. “Then I think there will be no problems.”

>Pardon me, Titennos, but the other Cardinals may not be keen on admitting an alien outsider into the Monastery grounds,< Frostbite warned. >Plus I doubt Abess Winter will be-<

>I will take full responsibility for the mendicant servant,< Sage Glory assured. >I’m more concerned about my own underlings right now. I think their exposure to certain humans here has had an unusual affect on them.<

>That’s what I’m afraid of, Titennos,< sent Frostbite. >It’s bad enough that Timadi Rain kissed a human recently.<

>I’ll deal with Rain after we return to Toridas. As long as he and the rest of our brethren broadcast serenity to the inhabitants here, his misconduct will be pardoned… for now.<

Sage Glory could have anticipated that one of his underlings might want to couple with some of the most attractive human females. Their thoughts especially on Caregiver Calista as of late, much to the Cardinal’s annoyance. Although even he found it difficult not to notice Calista’s exotic anatomy. He never would have expected Timadi Rain to engage in a tongue duel with Caregiver Noah. To which the Seer defended, >It was only a kiss. We did nothing else.<

And just as well, Sage Glory thought. Had Rain entertained the idea of getting coital with Noah, it would have jeopardized his position within the order.

Loroi sought intimacy through sanzai. But the Cardinal had heard many stories about Loroi who touched these humans, feeling euphoric highs once thought to be achieved only through sanzai. The human presence had challenged many Loroi to reconsider the proposition that intimacy could be explored physically. But the desire for sex complicated the matter.

=== (+) ===

Lying in bed was boring. Ben wanted to play a video game. Or watch a film. He was allowed to do none of those things since humans recovering from concussions were discouraged from looking at flashing screens. Cotton reminded him he needed to rest as much as possible before he could go up again.

To pass the time, Ben asked for some booklets from the library. Cotton obliged, returning with several copies of National Geographic. The Listels happened upon these spectacular booklets at the alien shop in Toridas. They were a treasure trove of literary and visual knowledge, offering a unique lens into Terran culture. Particularly Earth’s. Being made of paper, they had to be handled with care.

If there was one thing Ben and Cotton had in common, it was their intense fascination with these visual booklets. Cotton was delighted by Ben’s enthusiasm for learning when she introduced him to these booklets. They would sit together for long periods just admiring one picture page after the other. Sometimes little Ben would get obsessed with a single page and refuse to move onto the next. Sometimes Cotton would try to explain a picture to Ben, only for him to lose interest in a few solons.

“Ooh, this one,” Ben pointed excitedly at an issue titled “Wild Heart of Sweden.” “I remember this one.”

“So do I,” said Cotton.

“Well of course you do. You’re a Listel.”

Cotton chuckled. “Stop being silly.”

Ben combed through pages of moose lying in mossy forests, tangled strands of river lands, grassy fjords and evergreens covered in snow. There were even articles regarding the culture of Sweden itself. Ben marveled at the sight of Sweden’s cities, small by Loroi standards. He loved looking at the people working behind tap bars, hunters carrying rifles, residents of small cabins or all-white apartments and drivers behind the wheel.

“I want to be with them,” said Ben.

“Be with who?” Cotton asked. “Your friends?”

“That too. But I mean them,” Ben pointed at the people in the magazine. “I want to be with those people. I want to meet them. Talk to them. I want to see that place where my Mom said she came from.”

“Do you still think of her?” asked Cotton.

Ben shrugged. “Maybe just a little. Cotton?”

“Yes, Ben?”

“I really want to go there. To Earth.”

“I know. You have said it many times.”

“Will I ever get the chance?”

“Of course you will, Ben,” Doctor Yuan, happening to overhear, answered. “Every human here has a right to return to Terran space when they are of legal age. That was the deal the Emperor made with the Terran government.”

Cotton did not appreciate Yuan mentioning that. “True. But, Ben, surely you will not go.”

“Why not?” Ben asked.

“Well you might love it better than Deinar and then I might never see you again,” Cotton tried to sound ironic.

“You could come with me,” Ben suggested.

“Me? Travel to Earth?”

Ben smiled. “Yeah, we’ll have fun together. We’ll get drunk at all the pubs.”

“Not likely,” Cotton pointed out. “You are still too young to consume alcohol. In fact I think you would benefit more if you avoided the horrible liquid.”

“Okay, screw the pub. We’ll go out to the Swedish woods instead. Maybe go ride a moose.”

Cotton chuckled, “I don’t think so. According to my limited understanding of Earth organisms, a moose might not appreciate a human riding its back. In fact, I think it would be fatal.”

“At least we’d die happy.”

Cotton couldn’t hold her laughter in as she tapped his arm. “Ben, stop it!”

Ben laughed, singing cheerfully:

“Listel Cotton on a Swedish moose!
Listel Cotton on a Swedish moose!”

Cotton found it reassuring that Ben was in a good mood. It made her happy to see him so happy.

“Listen, Ben,” Yuan got the boy’s attention again. “We’ve finished our scans and you seem to be on your way to a full recovery.”

“Great news, Doc,” Ben beamed. “So when can I go back up?”

“You could actually go back up now if you want.”

“Really?!” Ben hopped eagerly. “Oh thanks!”

“Woah!” Yuan stopped him. “Easy there. You’re well enough to walk, but you still got to take some precautions. So listen carefully: no strenuous physical activity for the next few days. If you feel unwell from doing anything in particular, stop doing it at once. No bright screens or flashy digital displays. So no video games, no electronics and no television.”

“What?! Why not?”

“People recovering from concussions can get headaches, dizziness, nausea and other head problems by looking at screens too much. You’re a tough kid. But you still got to know your limits. Okay?”

Ben sputtered his lips in disappointment. “Fine. No flashy stuff.”

“And?”

“And no hard work.”

“Off you go then.”

Ben swung his feet off the medical bed and slowly rose to his feet. His muscles were still slightly sore, but at least he could stand. He and Cotton entered the main lift, making their way up to the surface.

=== (+) ===

Greywind preferred to spend some time alone after the prior night’s events. But being Emperor, forebear and warden meant she had responsibilities to her family and guests.

After Arno’s burial, members of the human staff approached her. Some repeating the things said last night concerning the three instigators who injured Ben. Amazing how humans seemed to repeat things even after Greywind had given an answer. Greywind joined Beverly Miller in her office to document Ben’s injury and the incarceration of Brass Shield, Stalactite and Leadpoint.

The Ambassadors wished Ben a hasty recovery. Ziga offered to pray on Ben’s behalf. Many of the guests came forward, offering their sympathies and services if Ben or the Emperor required anything. To which Greywind politely thanked them, assuring them that Ben was receiving all the help he needed. Their concerns were genuine, but Greywind could not help but detect it was accompanied by a desire to curry the Emperor’s favor. Then again who didn’t?

Feeling a bit overwhelmed, Greywind tried to avoid the guests’ presence at her favorite balcony overlooking the sea. Yet even so, the guests had a way of finding her.

The Viscount of Menelos, Charity, found the Emperor as well.

An influential magnate from a wealthy family situated in Menelos, Charity was two-hundred seventy-six years old. While Greywind was not particularly fond of magnates, Charity was a proponent for ethical business practices as well as building sustainable communities aimed at the common good. Hence why, following the dissolving of numerous Civilian Councils across Deinar when Greywind ascended the throne, Charity was chosen to sit on a newly formed Civilian Council at the Imperial Seat of Toridas. Her great granddaughter, Antimony, had been recently admitted into the Emperor’s creche to train as a warrior. Charity’s only flaw was her distrust of aliens. Mostly due to the fact that the Loroi had given most of the businesses to alien industries. Though she had found the humans of the island quite charming. Even laid with one of them.

The Viscount was eager to discuss a serious matter with Greywind ever since her arrival. >I am most grateful for your hospitality, Azerein,< sent Charity. >I do not wish to trouble you considering you probably have much on your mind. But Deinar’s civilian population is facing a crisis.<

>I am aware, Viscount,< sent Greywind.

>With all due respect, Azerein, I don’t think you have resided here long enough to feel the gravity of the situation. There is civil unrest all across Mestirot. Ever since the war ended, more Guilds are being forced to downsize. Millions of civilians have lost their occupations.<

>How can that be?< sent Greywind. >Half of the Guilds’ debt was defaulted.<

>Defaulting does not solve the problem of competition. Not if warriors choose to hire alien labor. Now we have workless civilians setting up camps outside the cities with nowhere to turn. Even the outskirts of my beautiful home, Menelos, are seeing the rise of slums. Many of my associates across Mestirot report the same things. On top of that, these slums are nesting grounds for criminals. Gangers congregate in these impoverished areas, preying on the vulnerable. Either with thievery or enticing their victims with narcotics.<

>It is your duty as Viscount of the Civilian Council to take care of the civilians on my behalf,< sent Greywind. >Aren’t you informing the public of the welfare centers funded by the state? How are the centers even finding work for the unemployed?<

>The welfare centers are overcrowded, Azerein,< Charity despaired. >There just simply isn’t enough work to distribute.<

>Why haven’t you directed civilians to business opportunities off world? Or created awareness of the Redemption Program?<

>We are trying, Azerein. But many Deinarids simply refuse to leave Deinar. This is their home. Besides, many of the civilians are not qualified for the jobs being offered off world. Some Guilds are not willing to invest in reeducating these people. Apart from that, most civilians are afraid of becoming warriors. Their unfortunate circumstances feeds the fire of their collective aggravation. The Seers can vouch for me. More civilians are organizing into active protests. Riots have become more frequent. Now rumors of this Eternal Endurance are spreading. A criminal advertising herself as a champion for the civilian masses.<

>Viscount, you must dissuade the civilians from dissent. Convince them that the Union cannot help them unless they obey us.<

>Azerein, my fellow Viscounts and I simply can’t handle this anymore. We need direct intervention on your part. Please!<

>I think it in the Emperor’s best interests if she heeded the Viscount’s warning,< a new voice entered the conversation.

Greywind looked up to see Rainlash descending the steps to the balcony.

>Former Diaderets like myself have not forgotten the invaluable contributions civilians have made, Viscount,< sent Rainlash. >Surely the Fourth Emperor, who has publicly advocated for reconciliation between civilians and warriors, sees that as well.<

Greywind tempered herself as she turned her focus back to the Viscount. >Viscount Charity, after the Diadem and I have finished our conference, we will be sure to join you and the Civilian Council in Toridas to address your concerns directly.<

>Thank you, your highness,< Charity sent with relief. >That is all we want.<

The Viscount ascended the stairs, leaving Greywind and Rainlash alone.

Rainlash sent to her daughter, >I must speak with you.<

Greywind placed her hands on her hips. >What for?<

>I prefer we share an exchange privately, Greywind.<

>Azerein will do.<

>Azerein Greywind, I must speak with you,< Rainlash insisted.

>I have nothing to speak with you about, Rainlash.<

Rainlash scoffed, >I just saved your ward’s life and that is all the thanks you have to offer.<

>I acknowledge that you saved Ben. I will be sure to remind him to offer you a word of thanks.<

>I don’t need a word of thanks. I need to speak with you.<

Greywind took one looming step toward her mother. >I am not interested. You are here as a courtesy.<

Rainlash was unflinching, receiving the hostile bluntness of Greywind’s sending. >I will remain on this island until the end of celebrations. If you change your mind, I will be waiting.<

Rainlash ascended the stairs. Greywind waited until her mother was out of range to seeth. Digging her nails into the stone balcony, the old Emperor heaved rapidly, letting the agitated fury run its course. Attendant Link offered her assistance to Greywind, only for the Emperor to order her to stay away much to Link’s confusion.

A bit of good news got Greywind to calm down as she received an update on her wrist-comm that Ben was well and on his way back to the surface.

=== (+) ===

Ben was anticipating some people to come forward and offer their best wishes and words of relief. What he was not expecting was practically every child of the island waiting for him in the gardens, all holding signs drawn by preschoolers and bouquets made by the older kids and adults. They rushed forward, handing him flowers, treats or any handmade tokens to show their relief for his recovery. Ben thanked them all. Cotton had to push a few away, reminding all that Ben was still recovering. Servants came forward to help with handling Ben’s gifts.

Ben was more surprised when Kassad came forward.

The eleven-year old didn’t have much to offer except a simple, “I’m glad you’re not dead.”

Ben begrudgingly yet humbly accepted Kassad’s few words. “Thanks, Kassad.”

They were not likely to ever be good friends, but both understood that they were family.

The most pleasant surprise came in the form of Io when she approached Ben and spoke slowly, “Beh… I… glid… u… ah-ite.”

It took a translation from Io’s Robin phone to understand she said, “Ben, I’m glad you’re alright.”

Ben laughed, flattered, complimenting his little god sister, “Thanks, Io. You sound beautiful.”

Io hugged him.

Fertile Spring came rushing to welcome Ben back, bursting into tears as he wailed, “Ben! I thought you would be lost! Are you traumatized, my friend? Did they do terrible things to you?”

“Easy!” Ben laughed. “I’m okay, really. I’m feeling the love, thanks.”

Spring sniffled, “What a relief! Noah and I have been practicing a song for you. Come! You must listen!”

>Be gentle, Fertile Spring,< Cotton cautioned. She stood protectively by Ben’s side as they were led to the gardens.

A small party of children assembled around Noah who sat with an acoustic guitar on his lap and Spring holding a small drum. Since the human caregivers’ arrival years prior, Noah had introduced Fertile Spring to a number of Terran songs. This particular song they practiced together during Ben’s recovery:

“Now your bowl is empty
And your feet are cold
And your body cannot stop rocking.
I know it hurts to let go.

Since the day we found you
You have been our friend
And your voice still
Echoes in the hallway of this house
But now it's the end.”

A few human women did their best to hide their sniffling, touched by the nostalgic tune. Even some Loroi were speechless by the gentleness of the quaint Terran melody. Spring himself fought the urge to cry as his eyes got bleary. He mustered up his mental discipline as he played together with Noah. The humans who remembered this very old song, young and old, joined together in harmony:

“We will be with you.
When you're leaving
We will be with you.
When you go
We will be with you.
And hold you till you're quiet.
It hurts to let you go.

We will be with you.
You will stay with us.”

Greywind watched girls wrap arms around their human and Loroi peers, rocking slowly in sync with the words of Goyte. The youngest of the children huddled around the musicians soaked up the melody, their eyes full of joy. So touched were the children that they begged Noah and Spring to play it again. Spring asked Ben to join in with his whistle. Ben happily obliged.

“A pleasant song,” said Sunbeam, walking up beside the Emperor. “This truly is a splendid celebration.”

“Yes, it is,” Greywind accepted the compliment.

While Sunbeam and the rest of the Yellow Sun Diaderets had accepted the Emperor’s invitation, having a few blood kin of their own enrolled at this creche, most of them were not too keen on socializing with the humans. Save for Sunbeam herself who actively asked her young kin how their lives were with these humans.

Sunbeam commented as she watched the young ones, “The children here seem so happy.”

“They are,” Greywind verbally agreed.

Sunbeam took note of a human girl leaning her head against a Loroi’s shoulder. “They seem to enjoy the company of their human friends.”

“I wish every member of the Council could appreciate that fact.”

“I have… enjoyed their company. It has been surprisingly pleasant.”

“If only the rest of Clan Yellow Sun could appreciate it.”

“As I’ve said, Azerein, Suns have different opinions regarding humans. Evidently so do members of Clan Rainfall.”

Greywind could have guessed Sunbeam was referring to the recent incident. “Brass Shield is one of my own descendants. She grew up with Ben briefly. That she would willfully attack a fellow peer has shaken the creche’s residents.”

“I am relieved that Ben Teigorastir seems to have recovered. Losing him would have been… unfortunate.”

“Perhaps you can better understand now why I have invested so much in peaceful resolutions. One incident, one conflict is enough to undo a community.”

“I could not agree more with you, Azerein. Unfortunately, sometimes, to resolve a conflict, one must strike the problem at the source. Though I must ask, was it really necessary to cut the hairs of your young kin for killing an animal?”

“It is not the fact that those three killed an animal, Sunbeam. It is because they did so without regard for how it has disturbed the peace of the creche. Never mind the fact that a human, my ward, was seriously injured. Now I must devote my efforts to assuring our human community that we still value their well-being and safety.”

“Well… humans are easier to control if they are convinced that we love them. Truly I hope this community prospers in the face of things to come, my friend.” Sunbeam leaned in closer to Greywind, whispering, “But a decision still has to be made.”

Greywind regarded Sunbeam as she excused herself, before turning her attention back to Noah and Spring as they finished their last song together.

=== (+) ===

Following that evening’s festivities, Greywind retired to her chambers. But found she could not sleep. She was too restless. Was it the recent incident? Was it pressure from the Diadem? Was it the fact that Greywind just might have lost Ben at the hands of one of her own progeny?

Dressing in a robe, Greywind left her chambers for the children’s dorms. She stood outside Ben’s door for a while, hesitating until she just admitted herself. She found Ben lying on his bed admiring a holographic globe. Ben sat up startled, looking uncertain.

“I did not mean to startle you, Ben,” said Greywind, entering his room.

“Emperor, I’m sorry, I know I shouldn’t be up,” said Ben. “But I- I just couldn’t sleep.”

“It’s alright, Ben. I understand. I couldn’t sleep either.” Greywind sat down on the edge of his bed, her purple cape stretched across the floor. She recognized the blue oceans and continental configurations of the hologram. “Eight years you have lived here, Ben. And you still think of Earth.”

Ben admired the human homeworld in all its splendor. “I want to see it one day.”

Greywind gently instructed him to shut off the hologram. “How are you feeling?”

Ben shrugged, tossing the holo-device aside. “Okay I guess.” He was silent a moment. “I just… I guess I’m still a bit shaken after-” He hesitated.

Greywind touched his shoulder. “I understand, Ben. You need not worry about Brass Shield. She will never come near you again.” The Emperor noticed Ben’s lips quiver ever so slightly.

“I’m sorry,” he said, hiding the whimper in his voice.

“Sorry? What makes you think you must apologize?”

“I-” Ben’s eyes became blear. He fought against the tears. “I’m sorry I couldn’t save Arno. I’m sorry I wasn’t strong enough.”

“That is nothing to be sorry for, Ben,” Greywind assured him, stroking his shoulder.

Ben sniffled. “I feel so weak. So pathetic.”

“Nonsense.” Greywind scooted closer, reaching with her other hand to caress Ben’s cheek. “You are neither weak nor pathetic. You were simply overpowered by a trained warrior who abused her power. Few Loroi without powers would dare stand up to an Unsheathed.”

“I’m not like you,” Ben sobbed, his body trembling. His legs shriveled up, trying to hide his shame. “I’m nothing like you.”

Greywind scooted closer, wrapping Ben fully in her embrace. “You do not have to be like me, Teigorastir.”

“Emperor, am I an animal?”

Greywind released him to look at him. “What?”

“Am I an animal?”

“Of course not. How could you think that?”

“Brass Shield… she… she said that she could kill me and it wouldn’t matter. She said I was a pet given a warrior’s honor.”

“Forget about Brass Shield,” Greywind instructed. “Forget everything she said. It doesn’t matter.”

“Emperor? Is that how some Loroi see us? As just animals?”

Greywind sighed through her nostrils. “I cannot deny it. But they speak from a place of ignorance. Such Loroi are not as enlightened as we who have been in the company of humans.”

Ben wasn’t entirely convinced, the trauma of Brass Shield’s cruelty still weigh heavy on his psyche.

Greywind slid her hand behind Ben’s neck, stroking his hair. “Do you think I would have named you my First Son if I simply wanted a pet? Well?”

Ben looked up at his Emperor. He needed a moment to let her words sink in before giving his answer, “No.”

“Exactly. You are my ward. My son. My first human son.”

Ben threw his arms around his warden, burying his head in her chest. “I love you more than anything.”

“You cannot imagine how important you are to me, Ben.”

For a long while the Emperor held her boy close to her, caressing him gently. At Ben’s request, Greywind lay by his side. What else was there to do other than try falling asleep in her chamber? She felt him relax as he eased into sleep.

Greywind wanted to stay with him. To hold him in her embrace and slip into the dreamscape. But it seemed too risky considering the presence of guests. It seemed unlikely that Project First Son would be found out. But even so.

In the end she had to leave him, but not before giving Ben one more gentle kiss. She considered returning to her chambers. But there was another nagging feeling. She really did not want to do it. Yet it felt like an unresolved matter.

Greywind left for the guest house. Stopping in front of the door to Rainlash’s and Nightgale’s room, Greywind took in a deep breath, trying to exhale all her frustrations and inner turmoil.

Greywind sent exclusively to her mother, stirring her from her sleep. The old Emperor felt the elder’s essence rumble to consciousness. The dark veil immediately shot up, concealing her violet essence. The elder got up from bed and opened the door.

Greywind sent immediately as their eyes locked, >Come to the dining hall. I’ll make us some tea. We must talk.<

>What?< Rainlash sent, baffled. >That’s why you wake me at such an inconvenient time?<

>My house, my rules. You wanted to talk. So we will talk now or never.<

Rainlash grumbled, heading back in to fit on a robe.
Last edited by Snoofman on Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

XVII - The Emperor’s Turmoil

Greywind sat upright and formal, sipping her tea. Rainlash did likewise, sitting across from her daughter. They were alone within the dining hall. Greywind had commanded the night guards to ensure no one came near.

>Despite our Perreind ancestry, I have found flowery tea more refreshing than noilir myself,< Rainlash sent as she took another sip.

>I suppose that is one thing we still have in common,< sent Greywind.

>The dining hall seems an odd place to have a private conversation.<

Greywind took another sip. >I like its spaciousness. Besides, it has good surveillance.<

Rainlash smirked. >Smart, Greywind.<

>Azerein will suffice.<

>I did not come here to speak with the Emperor,< Rainlash sent firmly. >I came to speak with my daughter. You have your reasons for hating me. But the least you can do is grant me the decency of calling you by your true name.<

Greywind tempered her thoughts, resisting the temptation to call out her mother for having a problem with indecency. >So then what do you want?<

>Can’t an old warrior just enjoy her tea first?< Rainlash took another sip.

>Do not dance around the subject,< Greywind warned. >Now tell me what you want.<

Rainlash sighed, placing her cup down. >Very well. Ever since you fell out of Eighth Dawn’s favor, you and I have not been on good speaking terms. But even so, you were still my daughter. Then the war with the Umiak happened. For a moment it seemed as if we might be able to set aside our differences in the interest of a common goal: defeat the Hierarchy by any means necessary.<

>For a time,< Greywind agreed. >My only regret was that Diaderets like myself were unable to persuade the Third Emperor to enforce the policies necessary to counter the threat of Umiak invasion. Then again Eighth Dawn overestimated the might of our fleet. That and the fact she was more concerned with satisfying her rich friends than maximizing military efficiency even in the face total war. Her friends and yours.<

>The funds of the rich are the reason we warriors got to wage our campaigns,< Rainlash pointed out. >Besides, you enjoyed the accumulated wealth of our male kin growing up. Even you must understand that you cannot hurt the hand that feeds you.<

>True. At least I’ve put our family’s fortunes to good use. Unlike Eighth Dawn who could not rule effectively unless she did so in luxury.<

>Your progeny and wards of Clan Rainfall seem to live quite well in luxury.<

Greywind waved a dismissive hand. >The costs of the creche are but a fraction of Eighth Dawn’s excessive indulgences. Not to mention yours. I was tired of Eighth Dawn’s hypocrisy. So I took it upon myself to fight for at least some of the principles that Eighth Dawn had forsaken in favor of profiteering.<

>An altruistic gesture,< Rainlash was not entirely sarcastic on that. >I might have advocated your opposition to Eighth Dawn’s neglects. But then you associated yourself with Clan Yellow Sun.<

>Ever since I took control of our familial clan, Clan Yellow Sun has been a benefactor to Clan Rainfall. Their philosophies were more agreeable with my own. Not merely because of the policies we sought to enforce, but because they were instrumental in countering the Umiak incursion. Our alliance has only made us stronger.<

Rainlash countered, >Therein lies the danger of your optimism. I warned you about the Suns. They were as they still are brutal, warmongering and disturbingly incestuous.<

>I admit Clan Yellow Sun’s linebreeding practices can seem off-putting. But breeding distant relatives hardly counts as incest. Besides, as long as they do not produce ill-suited offspring, it seems inconsequential.<

>That’s not the point, Azerein. You’ve given the Suns too much power. Now they control half of the Spinward territories.<

>They govern those territories in the Emperor’s name.<

>And what will you and the rest of the Diadem do when they decide to break away?<

>As if I had not considered that,< Greywind sent her annoyance. >The Suns have repeatedly reaffirmed their loyalty to the central authority of Deinar. Besides, many of our kin and other allies govern alongside the Suns. They will balance the scales of power.<

>That may be for now,< sent Rainlash. >But wait until they become dissatisfied when it seems clear that their career advancements have stalled. And then talk to me of loyalty.<

Greywind began to boil inside. She could not be sure if her mother was trying to bait her into vulnerability to spill her secrets.

Greywind allowed her annoyance to slip into her sending while safeguarding the rest of her sensitive knowledge, >Is this what you wanted to talk about? To insult my intelligence? To voice your dissatisfaction with my rule?<

>Your rule is the reason I am here, Greywind. I called for this conversation because I need to advice you.<

>And why should I listen to your advice?<

>Because the Union’s future, our family’s future and yours are in jeopardy.<

>Get to the point then!<

>I want you to abdicate the throne.<

Greywind sunk into her seat as if deflating. >Well of course you do.<

>Listen to me, Greywind,< Rainlash urged. >In retrospect you were perhaps the Emperor the Union needed to win the war. But winning wars and ruling an empire are two different things.<

>You are not the first to accuse me of being a bad Emperor, Rainlash.<

>Emperors are only bad when they ignore the harm they inflict on their own empires.<

Greywind took that one personally, her fists clenching. >Harm?! All I have ever done is try to help the Union. Every decision I made was not merely to satisfy my own ambitions. Every policy I enforce is meant to strengthen the Loroi, restore the faith of the aliens and promote the common good. I fail to see how that is harmful.<

>Precisely, Greywind! You fail to see that your policies are not working!<

>I have Listels under my employ who disagree. The accuracy of their predicted outcomes discredit your assertion.<

>Under ideal settings perhaps. But your Listels calculate with the assumption that the Union wants you as Emperor.<

The cinders of Greywind’s essence flared. >What does that have to do with anything?<

>Even from my perch on Perrein, I have analyzed your movements. Ever since the war ended, you have undoubtedly felt the after-effects of your impositions. You have struggled to win back the faith of the alien assembly. You’re desperate to convince the civilian public that you care about their welfare to dissuade them from dissent. But it won’t matter. Even if I could agree with your policies, it doesn’t change the truth you refuse to accept; the civilians do not want you as their Emperor. Neither do the aliens. You shed too much blood. You burned too many worlds. No beneficial policy, no altruistic action, no charitable deed on your part can erase what you’ve done.<

>I know many in our Union hate me,< Greywind dismissed Rainlash. >It doesn’t matter. My position remains unchanged. The civilians and aliens, even the warriors will never know what I sacrificed for them. They may not know it, but the policies I enforce are for their own good. Let them hate me. I don’t need their love.<

>And what about your family’s love?< Rainlash asked. >Do you not need that? What about your human wards?<

Greywind rose from her chair, glaring at Rainlash. >How dare you bring my family into this!<

>They’re already a part of this dilemma!< Rainlash insisted. >I had my doubts if you genuinely loved these humans. But after what I’ve witnessed these past few days, anyone can see you care about them. They love you. And you want it. You want their affection. I can guess what you and the Diadem have been discussing these last few days, Azerein. There have been propositions for war with the Terrans.<

Greywind was losing patience with her mother. >For a warrior of your station to meddle in the affairs of the Council is prohibited. You tread on dangerous ground!<

>Save your threats! I have meddled in nothing since you expelled me from the Council. But it seems obvious that many are calling for war. If war does break out, you must lead it. Which means you must order your own humans to side with you, against their own kind. Did you take that into consideration?<

>My humans are citizens,< Greywind sent proudly. >If they cannot stomach warrior hardships, they are free to enjoy a civilian life. I will not think less of them for it. But if they choose to pursue the way of the warrior, then they will do their duty. As I have done mine.<

>The moment you send them to fight their own kind they will find cause to hate you.<

>I will not force them to fight their own kind. And I don’t have to. I have an army at my disposal.<

>And what about Ben Teigorastir?<

Now Greywind was angry, struggling to keep her secrets concealed. >Stop it,< she ordered.

>You love him.<

Greywind pointed a finger at Rainlash. >I told you to stop!<

>And he loves you.<

>I’m warning you!<

>You’re terrified of losing his-<

Crack!

Rainlash’s tea cup burst, its leftover fluids spilling onto the table and partially onto her robe.

“Do not test me,” Greywind warned verbally, eyes burning bright blue.

>There it is,< sent Rainlash cooly. >The insecurity. The terror. The rage. I had my suspicions as to why you were so interested in that human’s well being. Though it seems obvious now why you chose him as your first human adoptee. He seems to be valuable to you. But why I wonder? Does he possess something special?<

Greywind realized her mistake. Rainlash had just baited her.

“Very clever, mother,” Greywind complimented sarcastically. She sat back down, reigning in her emotions. Her confidence returned, her black screen shielding her secrets as she resumed sanzai with confidence. >So this is why you came. Mingling with the guests. Picking with seemingly innocent questions, using that charismatic charm you seemed to pick up from Eighth Dawn to conceal your ulterior motives.<

Rainlash grinned. >Who said Eighth Dawn taught me? You’d be amazed how much Eighth Dawn learnt from me.<

>How unmotherly of you,< Greywind accused, >to use Nightgale as the perfect object to distract me from my suspicions and submitting you to a direct inquiry. I would never feel pity for you, even if you’re dying. But I would pity how it affects Nightgale. How dare you manipulate my sister.<

>Nightgale is sincerely affectionate to a fault,< Rainlash admitted. >She is benign. But lacks the mastery of mind that Sentinels and Torrais must possess if they wish to wield power.<

Greywind admitted, >I suppose that was the one kindness you ever did for someone other than yourself, Rainlash. To spare her your harsh treatment.<

>Stop pitying yourself, Greywind< Rainlash admonished. >You think I’m cruel? Surely you’ve had a lifetime to see for yourself just how unkind the universe really is. If you have a problem with manipulation, look in the mirror. Look at that human you’ve manipulated to your liking.<

Greywind restrained her anger at the mention of Ben.

Rainlash chuckled. >I can only imagine what clever schemes you employed to win him over so easily. Well done, daughter. As long as he loves you, he’ll be easier to control.<

Greywind shielded her secrets and warned, >What I do with Ben is none of your concern. You’d do well to remember what I did to the traitors that conspired against me.<

>Save your threats,< Rainlash waved a dismissive hand. >I haven’t come to blackmail you.<

>Really?< Even with sanzai, Greywind found that hard to believe. >Considering I cast you out of the Diadem, you’re telling me you wouldn’t jump on the chance to strike back? Just to spite me?!<

>Speak for yourself,< Rainlash sent bitterly. >You took your chance to spite me. All because you are still convinced that I treated you unfairly.<

Greywind smacked her fist on the table, shaking her tea tup as she raised her voice, “You did treat me unfairly! All those tozons of brutal treatment! The insults! The rough training! Being used as your puppet! I might have forgiven all of it until you betrayed me!”

>So you still think I’m the traitor?< Rainlash had forsaken all formality. The dark veil fell away, letting her violet resentment come to light.

“You are a traitor!” Greywind shouted. She stuck to words, not wanting to give her mother another weakness to exploit. “You were involved with the attempted coup against me!”

>I was never involved with the coup.<

“But you knew! You knew there was an attempt against me and you didn’t even try to warn me! Why?!”

Rainlash rose. Bolts of violet burst forth furiously as she sent, >Because you intended to destroy a lifetime of work! You are in the process of destroying it now! You didn’t even give me a chance to explain when you cast me out!<

“What was there to explain?! The traitors approached you, to beseech your help in overthrowing me!”

>I refused to help them.<

“Then why didn’t you warn me?!”

>Because I was torn,< Rainlash let her pent up agony spill out. >You cannot imagine what Eighth Dawn, our comrades and I sacrificed to keep the peace. To keep the aliens unified and content. Have you forgotten the wars we prevented? You have your reasons for growing disillusioned with Eighth Dawn, but I believed in her vision. Had it not been for the Umiak invasion, we would have finally solved the Union’s problems. Then you became Emperor, promising to undo it all. Who was I supposed to help? The Emperor bent on destroying everything we built? Or the conspirators who threatened the life of my daughter?<

Greywind was speechless.

>There’s hardly ever been a shred of affection between us,< sent Rainlash. >I don’t love you. I know you don’t love me. But heed my warning. The aliens tolerate your reign only because you won the war. But if the Union goes to war with humanity, then I promise you the cost will be more than you can bear. You will suffer. And your family will bear the blame with you. That’s why I came. To urge you not to ruin our family’s legacy!<

Despite the sincerity of Rainlash’s sending, Greywind did not accept it. “What game are you playing?” Greywind demanded.

>No game, Greywind! No more Mizol tricks! Just truth! I’m old. I’m dying. Before dementia robs me of all coherent thought, I must do my duty and save what is left of our family’s legacy. But now, to my regret, it is left in your hands. You accuse me of not showing enough kindness? Well then here is the last kindness I will ever give you: abdicate. Abdicate and save what is left of our family’s honor. Let someone else bear the burden of the war with the Terrans.<

Greywind stood motionless, taking this all in. >Leave,< she commanded. >Nightgale is free to do as she pleases. But I want you off this island. I will arrange your transport to Toridas tomorrow. After that you are free to do as you please. But I never want to see you again.<

>As you command,< Rainlash obliged. >Goodbye, daughter.<

Rainlash left the dining hall.

As soon as Greywind was alone, she threw her cup to the floor, letting the pieces scatter. She collapsed back into her chair, letting her anger run its course until she was burnt out and hollow.

By the time the old Emperor calmed back down, she spared the servants the trouble and cleaned up the mess she made.
Last edited by Snoofman on Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:07 pm, edited 11 times in total.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

Oh wow. So we come to the reference of the title which I thought had already come and gone. Very well done.
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

Urist

Post by Urist »

Ooh, the title makes sense now! And we've got Good news and Bad news:

Good News: The human-included sanzai network seems to be coming online.

Bad News: It's basically an unmoderated chatroom which moves at the speed of thought, with exactly the results anyone would expect. ;)
Barrai Arrir

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Urist wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:37 pm
Ooh, the title makes sense now! And we've got Good news and Bad news:

Good News: The human-included sanzai network seems to be coming online.

Bad News: It's basically an unmoderated chatroom which moves at the speed of thought, with exactly the results anyone would expect. ;)
Correction: the subconcious human-included sanzai network seems to be coming online. :mrgreen:

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

"Ben,” Greywind’s voice was full of dread. “What have you done?”
Oh no, your majesty. Don't blame the human kid for the mess YOU and your team have created.

Congratulations 🎉! The experiment was a success. You got what you asked for (albeit maybe not you you meant to :lol: )

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

XVIII - The Little Things

A shuttle arrived the next day to take Greywind’s mother back to Toridas. Rainlash packed her belongings and left without objection. Nightgale decided to leave with her mother without even saying goodbye to her sister. Nightgale would always be on their mother’s side.

Festivities carried on. To distract herself from the unpleasant conversation she had with her mother, Greywind decided to spend some time with her children. She visited the nursery where a few adults were on duty. She inspected recently adopted Nimarey, being held and nursed by Han. Han had decided to assist in the nursery today and allow her little godson, Prabir, to spend time with his little sister.

"How are you feeling, Prabir?" Greywind asked him. He simply cuddled his face into Han's side.

"I hope you will not be offended, Azerein," said Han. "He just needs time to adjust."

"I know."

Amidst the crawling toddlers, Greywind found Noah sitting cross-legged with a two-year old toddler, his hands concealing his face. “Nightime,” he said, before showing his broad smile. “Daytime!”

The little girl in his lap giggled.

Noah covered his face and repeated: “Nightime… daytime!”

The little girl giggled again.

Greywind approached them.

“Oh, your highness,” Noah said, pleasantly surprised. “Good morning.”

Greywind tipped her head forward. “Greetings, Noah Locke. What might you be doing?”

“Having a game of ‘Nighttime/Daytime’. Want to play?”

Greywind cocked an eyebrow. “I’m afraid I lack the level of enthusiasm to be a productive participant.”

Noah shrugged. “Suit yourself.”

Greywind noticed Bean in another corner of the room, surrounded by toddlers, playing ‘doctor’.

Bean pretended to jot down notes on a plastic clip-board and asked a three-year old, “Do you now or have you ever experienced any achiness in your tentacles?”

The three-year old shook his head and mumbled, “I dunno’.”

“Mhm,” said Bean, taking a couple more make-believe notes. “Do you like gingivitis?”

The three-year old nodded.

Bean beamed, “Great! We’re making progress. Onto the next patient!”

Greywind sighed at the silliness. She asked Noah, “Do you really think it proper for Bean to fill the children’s heads with nonsense?”

“But, your highness,” said Noah, looking up at Greywind, his hands firmly on the two-year old. “They’re just playing. I know Bean can be a bit… compulsive. But she’s wonderful with the children. And they love playing with her.”

“Their manner of play is irrationally silly,” Greywind pointed out.

Noah shrugged. “Sometimes being silly is a human child’s way of being in the moment. They need to be able to explore.”

Greywind considered Noah’s words. “I trust then you will not let the little ones become recklessly mad amidst their explorations.”

“Okay, but can’t make any promises,” Noah said cheerfully. Greywind’s icy stare gave him cause to reconsider his words. “I mean yes, ma’am.”

“Very good.”

“But, uh, would you like to come down and join us? I’m sure Chichi wants to be held by you.”

Greywind knelt down. Little Chichi waddled over to her lap. The two just stared each other down until Greywind decided to break the ice. The old emperor covered her face.

“Nighttime,” Greywind said in low monotone. She revealed her serious face. “Daytime.”

Chichi just stared blankly back at Greywind, quite unimpressed.

“I think I will entrust entertainment to you, Noah Locke,” said Greywind.

Noah snapped his fingers. “Sounds like a grand plan, your highness. But wait!” He knelt down, sniffing the air. He took Chichi back into his hands. Sniffing her diaper, he gasped, “Did someone just make a doozy? Oooh, I think someone did.”

Chichi grinned, swatting her arms and legs at Noah.

“Did you just make a poopie?” Noah asked Chichi, his voice imitating a child’s. “A booboo? You make booboo? Yeeees!” His voice resumed a professional tone, “If you’ll excuse us, your highness, somebody needs a change.”

“Permission granted,” said Greywind.

Noah lifted Chichi up and brought her to the diaper table.

Stonewill, who was nursing a Loroi infant, approached Greywind. >May I speak freely, Azerein?< Stonewill was permitted. >Noah Locke is a fool.<

>You are entitled to your opinion,< Greywind sent. >But he is good with the children.<

“Woof!” Noah announced as he unclasped the little one’s diaper. “Magna caca!”

Stonewill rolled her eyes. >I hope you will forgive my diverging opinion, Azerein. His methods of child-rearing are questionable.<

>Out of all the human adults, he has the most patience with children,< sent Greywind. >You both impart affection and guidance to these little ones. Human and Loroi alike. So I expect you both to overcome your differences and develop a professional relationship.<

>Yes, Azerein.< Stonewill yelped as the infant’s gums clamped on her teet. >No biting,< Stonewill admonished.

Greywind heard a rustle behind her. She finally noticed some toddlers crawl over to inspect her purple cape. Some patted the hair with their palms. Some clawed at the long, violet strands. Some rolled and crawled over the Emperor’s hair.

Greywind sighed. What was it about little humans that drew them to her long hair? A few caregivers rushed over to remove the children, but Greywind stopped them.

“Let the little ones satisfy their curiosity,” said Greywind. She crawled over to one and a half year old, Gang-Doo. Greywind held up Gang-Doo as she lay on her back, hefting him up and down.

Han tapped Noah’s shoulder as he finished fitting a new diaper onto Chichi, pointing at the children crawling all over Greywind.

“I never knew the Emperor could be so playful,” Han commented, admiring the scene with adoration.

Noah shrugged with a goofy smirk. “Don’t judge a book by its cover.”

Gang-Doo squeeled as he suddenly levitated. Greywind’s eyes burned brilliant blue as she suspended the one and a half year old by thought alone.

“Very impressive,” said Han. The powers of the Loroi never ceased to amaze her.

“Yeah,” said Noah. “I wonder if she can make lightning come out of her fingers too.”

=== (+) ===

After spending up to a digil at the nursery, Greywind decided to pay a visit to the arena, where many mothers sparred with their daughters, aunts with nieces, grandsires with grandchildren, sisters with sisters. Several circles of Loroi formed around humans competing against fellow peers or graduates. A few Loroi placed bets on who would win.

Greywind entered one circle to watch young River and Katniss engage in Melee Saber. Both youngsters were clad in soft armor head-to-toe, each brandishing a blunt, wooden suburito. While the soft armor prevented injury to be dealt by the suburitos, the purpose of Melee Saber was to essentially beat one’s opponent into submission. Contestants either dueled until one succumbed to exhaustion or was knocked off their feet. A combatant who dropped her sword was prohibited from attacking unless she held her suburito. Defeat fell to the throat on which the opponent’s blade rested.

River attacked Katniss, repeatedly landing blows from overhead. Katniss staggered backward, her suburito taking most of the blows. As soon as River dealt the last blow, Katniss dodged slightly to the right, throwing her right fist forward. The end of Katniss’ handle smacked into River’s helmet visor. River stumbled sideways, struggling to regain her balance.

Katniss swung her suburito around. The strike forced River to fall backward. She rolled into the fall, landing in a crouch before charging Katniss. Loroi and human smacked blade against blade, wrestling to push each other off balance.

River stuck her left foot in behind Katniss’ right heel, kicking the human out from under her feet. Katniss fell onto her rear. Anticipating an attack, Katniss held her suburito up defensively. River struck from a vulnerable angle, knocking Katniss’ suburito out of her grip. The Loroi took the chance to pounce on Katniss and land the final blow.

Katniss’ hands caught her opponent’s blade, pushing back with everything she had. River wrestled against Katniss, struggling to force her blade down. River hopped up, ramming her suburito down, using her body’s weight to wear out her opponent. She hopped again and again until Katniss’ arms gave out. Collapsing briefly on top of the human, River scuffled before Katniss could recover and brought her suburito’s edge to Katniss throat.

The referee called the match finished.

Katniss sighed, smacking the floor frustratedly, cursing, “Shit!”

“Do not be sour that you lost, Katniss,” River gloated. “You fought well. Defeat is merely an opportunity to improve. As long as defeat doesn’t kill you.”

The surrounding Loroi laughed.

River removed her helmet. “We are still friends, yes?” she asked Katniss, offering a hand.

Katniss tried looking displeased, but couldn’t help but chuckle as she was helped to her feet. Removing her own helmet and picking up her suburito, Katniss said, “I will beat you one day, River.” She clapped her suburito’s handle against her chest.

River smiled, returning the gesture in good sportsmanship. The two embraced. The spectators cheered approval.

“I just realized something,” said Katniss, looking River in her green eyes. “Even though we’re from two different species, do you know why we’re like sisters?”

“Because we love each other?” River asked.

“That too!” Katniss shrugged. “But mostly because we love fighting with each other more.”

River threw her head back laughing, pulling her human sister in for a tight hug.

Greywind stepped forward. “Well fought,” she praised her children. “Both of you. This is the true meaning of comradeship.”

The two girls faced their Emperor, each offering a formal bow. The referee called up the next competitors.

Greywind happened to see Ben standing by Io. The two exchanged her phone intermittently, no doubt sharing messages.

Io looked up. “Ayo,” she said with a smile, before handing her Robin phone to Greywind. It read: ‘hello.’

“I am glad to see you are taking your responsibilities as god-brother seriously, Ben,” Greywind complimented.

“I take my responsibilities as big brother seriously all the time,” Ben replied.

It pleased the Emperor to see Ben still full of optimism given his recovery from the incident. Greywind held out her hand for Io’s device. Io gave it to her.

Greywind wrote: ‘You seem to be enjoying the match.’

Io replied: ‘It’s really kickass. The wood swords are awesome. I want to try!’

Greywind wrote: ‘You are still too young. And untrained. But Ben can teach you when the festival is over.’

Io beamed with eagerness.

=== (+) ===

Greywind left the arena to fetch herself some sori from the feasting table. There she fixed herself a plate. A disturbance caught the Emperor’s attention.

Ashrain shoved against Torrai Manneil Opal. Even form a distance, Greywind could see Ashrain stagger haphazardly as Opal shoved her back. Little Ripley was hugging Caregiver Philip, crying.

>Stop!< Greywind commanded. Ashrain and Opal did immediately as instructed as their Emperor approached. >What is going on here?<

>That rude little thing,< Opal pointed at Ripley, >insulted me!<

>Children pointing fingers barely counts as an insult,< sent Ashrain.

Opal insisted, >It called me ‘purple face’ repeatedly!<

Ashrain snarled, >And you were hurting her!<

>I did not hurt,< Opal defended. >I grabbed the human by the arm to teach it a lesson.<

>You slapped her!<

>Only because the human kicked me!<

Greywind ordered silence. “Ripley, come here.” Greywind coaxed the little girl over with a finger. Ripley refused timidly, clinging to Philip. “I said come here.”

“It’s okay,” Philip assured Ripley, ushering her over to the three Loroi.

“Torrai Manneil Opal says that you insulted her,” said Greywind. “Is that true?”

“I… I was just saying she was purple,” Ripley bowed her head shamefully.

“Well it seems to have made Opal very upset. Now it would make me happy if you apologized to her.”

Ripley’s lips quivered stubbornly.

“Ripley,” Greywind warned.

“S-sorry,” Ripley said looking down.

“Look her in the eyes when you say it.”

Ripley did as instructed. Opal stood proudly with arms crossed.

“Your turn,” Greywind said to Opal.

Opal’s smug grin fell away. >Me?! But that human started it.<

>Ripley apologized for insulting you,< sent Greywind. >Now you will apologize for slapping her.<

>But she’s a rude, little human,< Opal justified. >I am a Torrai.<

>And I am her warden,< Greywind reminded Opal.

Opal reluctantly muttered to Ripley, “I… I apologize.”

“You have both done a good deed,” said Greywind. “Off you both go then.”

Opal gave Ashrain a dirty look as she left. Ashrain grinned smugly before looking down at Ripley. “You alright, little one?”

Ripley smiled up at Ashrain. “I’m okay, Mazeit.”

“Thanks, Mazeit,” said Philip, patting Ripley’s head.

>Ashrain,< sent Greywind. >Come with me.<

Ashrain followed Greywind to the balcony at the end of the gardens.

The Emperor was very forward as she inquired, >How much have you had to drink today?<

Ashrain closed her eyes, groaning.

>Be forthcoming now,< Greywind demanded.

Ashrain sighed. >Just a little wine, Azerein. But I’m not drunk.<

>Even so I notice you’ve been enjoying the wine here every day now.<

>It’s a celebration! Who hasn’t?<

>I’ve heard the rumors that you’ve been indulging too much in alcohol aboard your own ship. There is gossip that your subordinate is forced to assume your duties.<

>Just occasionally-<

>Your idea of ‘occasionally’ seems too frequent,< Greywind countered.

Ashrain dropped her head, frustrated and embarrassed. >Grand aunt, please, can we discuss this after the festival?<

Greywind vented through her nostrils. >After the festival. Off you go then. And do try to sober up.<

Ashrain silently walked up the stone steps, not bothering to acknowledge Lodestone as she descended onto the balcony to speak with Greywind.

>Ashrain seems to have dropped some formalities,< Lodestone sent exclusively to Greywind.

>I am aware,< Greywind replied. >I will have a serious discussion with her after the festival.<

>After the festival is actually what I wanted to speak with you about, cousin. The Diadem’s conference must resume. So I need to know, have you read Sunbeam’s essay in full?<

>I have,< Greywind acknowledged.

>So have I. I have my reservations when it comes to the Yellow Suns. But Sunbeam makes a brilliant proposition. If the Council passes it-<

Greywind cut her off, >I never said I was going to approve it.<

Lodestone sighed, her annoyance interlaced with her sending, >I was afraid you’d say that. Do you intend to invest in a peace that will not win?<

>I never said that either,< sent Greywind. She stared out over the ocean. Over all the residents and guests enjoying themselves on the beech, swimming in the waves.

>Cousin,< Lodestone consoled, >you seem to have given practical reasons for not wanting another war. But I suspect Iron from Heaven is not entirely wrong. I think you are afraid of hurting the feelings of your human staff and wards here.<

Greywind sent nothing.

>You are very clever,< Lodestone complimented. >Not all Loroi can omit truth while concealing their precious secrets.< Lodestone looked out over the horizon alongside her cousin. >I remember when we first brought the human caregivers here. I remember the stories they shared about their respective homes. The enlightening and the disturbing. The tedious and the entertaining. I even remember Beverly Miller introducing me to that queer Terran sport. What’s it called again, the one where they swing the rod?<

>Golf,< sent Greywind.

>Yes, that’s it,< Lodestone chuckled at the memory. >I remember catching her during our visit four years ago. She was competing with a few men and Loroi. Beverly offered me to try. My muscles were stiff. My grip on the golf rod tight. I barely hit the ball a few paces away, tearing up more dirt than ball with each failed swing. I was close to bending that bloody rod. Amazing how cut a little thing can cause so much frustration. But then Beverly surprised me. ‘Here hun’’ she said. ‘Let me show you how it’s done.’

>Initially it felt like a breech of privacy when she came up behind me, circling her arms around my waist. I thought to object, but as her hands touched mine, I felt soothed. Calm. Relaxed. Beverly showed me the proper stance. How to concentrate on technique rather than strength. To let the smooth swing of the club follow through. It certainly took a few more tries. Until, when I finally managed to perfect my form, I sent the golf ball flying, disappearing into the distance.

>That same day, I decided to spend some time alone with Beverly Miller. I asked about her homeworld. About the Queens city she came from. What the people there were like. ‘It’s one hell of a tough neighborhood that fosters a tough-as-nails people,’ she told me. An interesting expression from a human. She also told me about the family she had. About her strict parents, pressing her into academics to pursue a career in politics. About her pair-bonded mate and the daughter they conceived together. How that daughter barely made it to her fifteenth standard year before she disappeared only to be found dead a few weeks later.<

Greywind acknowledged, >I too remember Beverly sharing that awful story with me. No civilized sapient deserves that. She has even shared with me how she lost faith in her own government’s ability to enact justice. How the devastation compelled Beverly to leave her pair-bonded partner and seek employment away from Earth.<

>Therein lies my point,< sent Lodestone. >Despite the Confederacy’s military influence, the humans are still divided by sub-governments operating since before their first ascendancy into space. Their failure is our opportunity. The aliens are convinced we Loroi desire only mindless conquest, when they themselves are just as guilty. They are eager to point out our eons of endless bloodshed and violent deeds. So sure of their seemingly moral superiority, they boast being more civilized to inflate their egos. Trying to shame the Loroi into thinking that we are incapable of compassion. The most frustrating thing of all is that, even after we saved them from the Umiak Hierarchy, they still find justifications to blame their sole protectors.

>But imagine if, just for once, the Loroi did not destroy an alien civilization. But rescued it. Saved it from a poisonous ideology that seeks to contend with us. Saved it from those malicious specimens, like the ones that viciously violated and murdered Beverly Miller’s daughter.<

Greywind countered, >That could only work if the Loroi deployed into Terran space can distinguish a benign human from a hostile one. The Suns are the only reliable strike groups that can overtake the Terrans quickly. They are loyal. But violent to a fault. They were necessary to crush the Hierarchy during the Forward Initiative. Sunbeam I could trust to govern the humans responsibly. But not the rest of the Suns.<

>Then we install Loroi we trust,< sent Lodestone. >Loroi who empathize with humans. Loroi who will assert the will of the Emperor. We seem to have plenty of candidates in our family.<

For a while Greywind sent nothing back, just staring over the horizon. >I had an intense argument with my mother,< she finally admitted. >I hate her. I hate what she forced me to endure. I hate how easily she manipulated me in my youth. I hate she could control me so easily throughout my career as a Mizol. Yet for all my hatred of her, she did part some wisdom before she left for good this time. No matter who is at fault, the Emperor will be blamed the most.<

>And I’ve watched you bear it since the start of the war,< Lodestone comforted. >The Traditionalists didn’t want you because you didn’t rise to power through combat or military achievement. But what separated you from them was your ability to govern Loroi and sapients. We needed change. You made it happen. The Union may never love you.< Lodestone rested a hand on the Emperor’s shoulder. >But I do.<

Greywind >And I you, cousin,< Greywind sent her gratitude.

>I will support your decisions, Greywind. But I trust you not to sink our vessel.<

Lodestone left Greywind alone at the balcony. The old Emperor looked out at the humans on the beech. Her humans. Rainlash was right about one other thing; Greywind wanted to be loved. Not by the Union. Not by the citizens and subjects she ruled. Just by the people who mattered to her. This familial clan loved her. Her scions loved her. The humans of this island loved her. And as inconsequential as it seemed in the cosmic scheme of things, she didn’t want them to stop loving her.

Greywind clouded these sentiments in a dark, smokey screen. The cinders of her essence guarded them. She left the balcony to enjoy the last days of celebration with the people she loved. The people she was determined to protect no matter the cost.
Last edited by Snoofman on Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.

gigachad

Post by gigachad »

Damn it, it was really interesting to read objectively, you make really good content on this universe, I read it in one shift, this uncontrolled chat can really mess things up

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

gigachad wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:06 pm
Damn it, it was really interesting to read objectively, you make really good content on this universe, I read it in one shift, this uncontrolled chat can really mess things up
One shift?! Damn called me impressed as well as flattered, Gigachad. :mrgreen: I'm happy that you and everyone else has enjoyed the story.

One of the biggest challenges about writing content and story is keeping track of everything you've written while not seeming repetitive. I find myself going back frequently to triple check a chapter even after I uploaded it as well as skimming through previous chapters to ensure consistency.

Ever since the pandemic, I just wanted to try something new besides video games and television. Writing has been an enriching experience. And the number of views, the comments and constructive criticism has kept me motivated.

At this point, you can expect between three to five more chapters. Once A Chorus of Stars is complete, I plan maybe one, two or three more installments with hopefully a bit more action.

gigachad

Post by gigachad »

Speaking of lore, what is the percentage of human pirates and Loroi pirates and other races?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

I am reluctant to put an exact number on it. But here is a rough guess along with what I guess their targets or motives might be:

Terran Raiders (ever since gaining access to the Great Wastelands, humanity has experienced a population and industrial growth spurt. So no surprises they would have the most substantial presence for the moment. Mind you there are probably only around a hundred thousand Terran Raiders.): 25%
Loroi pirates and gangers (Union interstellar policing and Imperial restrictions make it harder. But for gangers who thrive in the shadows or pirates surviving on the outskirts of Dinnan Sector where the Imperials have less presence, the allure of being a Loroi pirate is highly risky, but highly rewarding): 18%
Barsam mercs (Mind you there are Barsam Mercs in the legal trade. But those involved in illegal trade have lost their moral compass.): 5%
Delrias smugglers (Not necessarily all pirates, but children of Plutocrats are desperate for quick fortunes): 20%
Neridi (more likely to be financiers to pirates than be directly involved. Since Neridi are full Union members, they mostly strive to be upstanding citizens. Especially since most of their records are subject to Mizol inspection): 2%
Pipolsid (much too gentle to be a pirate... buuuuut...): 0% maybe
Golim (though most likely enslaved to Loroi pirates and gangers who need a labor force): 5%
Mannadi (escaped quarantine zone): 3%
Arreka filibusters (most likely launch raids or smuggling into NIssek territory. Arreka prosecute pirates that go against the Loroi to stay on the Loroi's good side): 5%
Nissek corsair (while most Feudalists officially are suing for peace with the Union, even Lords are known to hire pirates): 10%
Ninnel Marauders (primarily harassing Nissek vessels since they have not even come into contact yet with the Union): n/a
Former Umiak or Umiak client races (forced to survive on the spinward fringes of former Hierarchy territory): 7%