Loroi sexuality

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Alienscifi

Re: Loroi sexuality

Post by Alienscifi »

It seems as if Loroi society is almost heaven for a human who wants to laid by alien women, assuming Loroi women are like that.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Alienscifi wrote:It seems as if Loroi society is almost heaven for a human who wants to laid by alien women, assuming Loroi women are like that.
I expect that, especially early on, there's going to be a LOT of hurdles to overcome to stand a chance of getting intimate with a Loroi. Even later I bet that the majority simply won't be interested in an alien and the ones that do you'll probably need to get on personality before anything physical happens.

I can totally see major ports having red light districts stocked with human males chosen for Loroi-like physical appearance late/post-war though.

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

fredgiblet wrote:
Alienscifi wrote:It seems as if Loroi society is almost heaven for a human who wants to laid by alien women, assuming Loroi women are like that.
I expect that, especially early on, there's going to be a LOT of hurdles to overcome to stand a chance of getting intimate with a Loroi. Even later I bet that the majority simply won't be interested in an alien and the ones that do you'll probably need to get on personality before anything physical happens.
Humans don't have telepathy. In the absence of a telepathic link with the human male, the *only* way for a Loroi woman to establish intimacy with a human male is you-know-what.

What is interesting to ponder is the effect of introducing so many males (albeit slightly alien) to a society in which access to males is a privilege. Imagine what would go through at least some Loroi minds:

"OK, so there are these hot alien males who are obviously interested in sex as much as we are, there is no risk of getting pregnant when I don't want to, and I can basically have one all for myself and get away with it."

In a hypothetical mixed Loroi-Human population, this would probably be very disruptive.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

fredgiblet wrote: That does bring up a question, are Listel abilities genetic?
Yes, the eidetic memory is a hereditary trait.
Mr Bojangles wrote:Given their concepts of relationships and their telepathy, what is Loroi sociability like? Telepathy would suggest the potential for very deep bonds, but it would also suggest that a Loroi could have a pretty large personal space bubble...
Loroi will be taught from an early age to develop mental barriers to protect against unwanted intrusion and to tune out extraneous chatter, and telepathic message can be sent "privately" to specific recipients (though both barriers and private sendings can be defeated by a sufficiently skilled telepath). Some Loroi will be extroverted "chatty Cathies", and some will be more reserved and reclusive. Intensely intimate telepathic communication requires physical contact, which is not something done casually in Loroi society.
Koori wrote:In a situation when a girl feels a sense of sympathy and admiration to the other girl, how she will be able to express your feelings? How she will reach mutual affection? And will? Or the feelings like this are not taken to show?
Telepathic messages can be sent semi-privately, but females having affection for each other is considered completely normal. Most Loroi do not associate such affection with sexuality.
NOMAD wrote:however on a more serious note, wouldn't that kind of situation be frowned upon but the higher authorities. i know the Loroi have semi-hero worshiping of their famous heros (with the unfortunate tendancy or dying quickly), but i would expect lower ranked loroi to have "human form" of displaying respect telepathically to their higher ups.
As militaristic societies go, the Loroi are relatively informal; they don't salute, etc. And there isn't a class division between officer and enlisted. But it's true that it would not be considered professional for a high-ranking officer to display too close a friendship with her direct subordinates.
NOMAD wrote:also small question, how would two very "close" loroi be able to continue their "friendship" if they were on seperate ships? ( IE Ashrain having a step sister on another strike group in the reserve fleets or assign to a desk job on Cry of the Wind). I sure vid com's./text letters would be used (if possible/allowed) but missing the telepathical connection seems to me, of lossing the main essence of the sister-sister bond, some loroi would have.
As with humans, such relationships can be difficult to maintain at long distance. Often warriors are assigned to a post as a group with many of their friends and relatives from the same child-band; there is no prohibition against grouping relatives together (if an entire village's youths are wiped out with the loss of a single ship, well, tough luck). But as they age and rise in rank, there will be fewer of these friends around. By the time an officer is promoted to the rank of captain, she will probably have only a few trusted senior officers that she brings with her to the new command. Life can be lonely at the top.
It's almost as if it had been deliberately designed that way... :D

Here's a question nobody's asked yet: Can a male refuse sex?

The answer is yes, certainly. Sexual rights to a male can be transferred, and he generally has no say in who he is matched with, but males are not slaves, and sex must always be consensual; he always has the right to refuse sex if he doesn't approve of the partner. A male who is not interested in sex (for whatever reason) can refuse to be matched at all. As you might expect, it's difficult for a female to force herself on a male (in any meaningful way beyond pure physical abuse). However, such a refusal would be pretty rare; Loroi males are very good sports (and most Loroi females are healthy, good-looking people).

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote:Here's a question nobody's asked yet: Can a male refuse sex?
We didn't ask because it inconceivable to refuse pretty blue space elfves!

Mali

Post by Mali »

What is interesting to ponder is the effect of introducing so many males (albeit slightly alien) to a society in which access to males is a privilege. Imagine what would go through at least some Loroi minds:

"OK, so there are these hot alien males who are obviously interested in sex as much as we are, there is no risk of getting pregnant when I don't want to, and I can basically have one all for myself and get away with it."
1. I don't think that Loroi will be interested in human males. If loroi guys are fragile and delicate, earth dudes will be treated as ugly quasimodo's. Jardin may pass, because off his boyish looks, but rest off us wouldn't be in loroi warrior's type.

2. I strongly opposse view that homosexuals may make warriors uncomfortable on battlefield. Some examples makes my point: Holy Theban regiment, Alexander of Macedon personal Company or entire Spartan warrior culture. Warriors with intimate contacts will less likely break the formation or abandon there love ones in the midst of battle. They still have normal families and kids. We are influenced by christianity and our thinking is often norrow minded (for instance Juluis Cesar was bisexual, like half of Roman nobles). We shouldn't think that a warrior cultere will be resembling more american army (witch soliders are afraid of gays) and less like a greek hoplites that didn't care much about orientation.

Sorry for my english, but my native language is Polish.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

First of all... what a cutie! :)

...and ulp..haha.. just read the second page. Arioch pretty much answered all my concerns. I was starting to feel sorry for the male oroi... 'No love for you!' as their society seemed to have pretty much legislated/stratified away any concenr for the male's affection and perhaps need for love and personal relationship. But I see that their culture can't be ...judged{?} [not the word I'm really looking for..perhaps 'measured' is better?] in human terms... they are NOT human and the many partners and the specialized care the males are given would likely handle any such want of intimate personal relationships int heir lives.

Culturally they are 'pushed' to not get attached... it still seems.. perhaps from a human point of view.. a bit cold {though that may simply be MY personal romantic views... I being likely one of the dying few last true romantic in the male world.}

I've always felt... "all any man needs is one good woman to share his life with, to cherish above all others, to place the world at her feet as its queen and to be the focus of his love, devotion and dreams...", but heh... that's just me. Last romantic in the world.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Mali wrote: 2. I strongly opposse view that homosexuals may make warriors uncomfortable on battlefield. Some examples makes my point: Holy Theban regiment, Alexander of Macedon personal Company or entire Spartan warrior culture.
In a society in which homosexuality or bisexuality is considered the norm, then of course I would not expect it to cause undue problems in the military. But among the Loroi I do not think it would be considered the norm, for the reasons I have mentioned.

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

Mali wrote:1. I don't think that Loroi will be interested in human males. If loroi guys are fragile and delicate, earth dudes will be treated as ugly quasimodo's. Jardin may pass, because off his boyish looks, but rest off us wouldn't be in loroi warrior's type.
Hm, this is an interesting dilemma. Even human females aren't really consistently sure of what a "sexy man" is. For some this means these walking testosteron-flooded muscle mountains with a bird brain, for others the more delicate, even slightly 'effeminate' men are attractive, with basically any combination of thereof you can imagine in between. Worse, this has been proven to depend on the part of their monthly cycle in which the woman currently is - when she's close to maximum fertility, she prefers more aggressive, masculine types. Later, she looks for more settled, more sensitive guys who would take care of her and be good fathers (for the children she just conceived with the aggressive macho :lol: ).

Loroi females are obviously different, but how and how exactly would that prevent them from finding human males attractive?

Are Loroi males more effeminate/submissive in their demeanour? Would less submissive behaviour from human males be a huge turn off, or the opposite? Since Loroi females spend most of their life completely separated from Loroi males, they don't really have much notion of what they are supposed to be like aside from what they've been told, right?

Physically, I don't see much problem there - if you find them attractive, the chances are they will find you attractive as well. Human males are obviously a bit taller than what they're used to, but that's about it. Speaking of which, WHY are Loroi males so small? What's the evolutionary pressure that overrides the tendency towards convergence? Furthermore, even though Loroi females may be used to being bigger than the males they mate with, it doesn't mean a tall male would automatically be ugly to them. Most human men are used to women who are smaller than them, but that doesn't prevent them from being attracted to taller women.

Finally, do Loroi females have a strong urge to procreate? Is it for them (consciously) the driving force behind desiring sex? Because if it is, then obviously human males are disqualified because they're biochemically (not to mention genetically) incompatible and thus can't father a child with them.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Victor_D wrote: Speaking of which, WHY are Loroi males so small? What's the evolutionary pressure that overrides the tendency towards convergence? .
Who says evolution has anything to do with the loroi? There are strong indications that they are just an artificially engineered race. They may very well have been designed that way for no reason.

Evolution would probably never create a mammal with males only being ten percent (i don't know of any real life examples). Nor do i think that evolution would create a male so fysically unfit for anything besides sperm donation (that on exists among fishes as far as i know).
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Mali wrote: 2. I strongly opposse view that homosexuals may make warriors uncomfortable on battlefield. Some examples makes my point: Holy Theban regiment, Alexander of Macedon personal Company or entire Spartan warrior culture.
Good point.
And welcome onboard!

Arioch wrote:In a society in which homosexuality or bisexuality is considered the norm, then of course I would not expect it to cause undue problems in the military. But among the Loroi I do not think it would be considered the norm, for the reasons I have mentioned.
But what Mali pointed out (a bond to the loved ones) is not diametral to the warrior-codex (a bond to your clan/group/unit/whatever).
And taboos are spice, no? :D
sapere aude.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Just admit that you want to see hot loroi girl on girl action.

Like all of us.
Supporter of forum RPG

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

bunnyboy wrote:Just admit that you want to see hot loroi girl on girl action.
<Al Bundy>
"...that, too!"
</Al Bundy>
Last edited by Trantor on Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sapere aude.

Mali

Post by Mali »

bunnyboy wrote:Just admit that you want to see hot loroi girl on girl action.

Like all of us.
He cracked my evil plan. Need to dispose him immediately.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Victor_D wrote: Since Loroi females spend most of their life completely separated from Loroi males, they don't really have much notion of what they are supposed to be like aside from what they've been told, right?
Loroi females will often have their first sexual encounter at a very young age (8 or 9 for warriors), but it's true that this encounter may be their first real contact with a male, so they won't have much idea of what to expect. It wouldn't make much sense for a young female to be extraordinarily picky.
Victor_D wrote: WHY are Loroi males so small? What's the evolutionary pressure that overrides the tendency towards convergence?
In most mammals, males are larger than females because they have a dominant role, often having to fight other males and protect females and young. In most other organisms, in which the males just fertilize and then leave, males are smaller than females. Most organisms are not big and strong unless they have to be, because it's expensive.
Jericho wrote:Evolution would probably never create a mammal with males only being ten percent (i don't know of any real life examples). Nor do i think that evolution would create a male so fysically unfit for anything besides sperm donation (that on exists among fishes as far as i know).
There are plenty of examples of both of those cases. Social insects, for starters. In some bird species, males are so specialized for sexual display that they can barely feed themselves.

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

Arioch wrote:In most mammals, males are larger than females because they have a dominant role, often having to fight other males and protect females and young. In most other organisms, in which the males just fertilize and then leave, males are smaller than females. Most organisms are not big and strong unless they have to be, because it's expensive.
So, was fighting for males common early in Loroi prehistory, so that this evolutionary pressure actually applied itself for a period long enough to produce such a marked change?

(Yes, I am assuming evolution played some role in shaping them. If they were "intelligently designed" (I hate myself for writing this) to be like this, then it's obviously a moot point.)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Victor_D wrote: So, was fighting for males common early in Loroi prehistory, so that this evolutionary pressure actually applied itself for a period long enough to produce such a marked change?
I'm not following your logic. In most organisms, males are smaller by default, and it would take evolutionary pressure to make them larger, not the other way around.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Arioch wrote:There are plenty of examples of both of those cases. Social insects, for starters. In some bird species, males are so specialized for sexual display that they can barely feed themselves.
I wasn't talking about insects or birds. I was talking about mammals, there's a big difference in reproductive strategy between all three kinds of animals. Sorry if i didn't make it clear. Still if you know any mammal that fit the profile i'd really like to know :D.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Actually, are we sure that loroi are mammals? They are aliens created mystery godrace, so their tits may be jiggly funbags only to humour their masters with no other purpose or even somekind of spore spreaders. :shock:
Supporter of forum RPG

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

bunnyboy wrote:Actually, are we sure that loroi are mammals? They are aliens created mystery godrace, so their tits may be jiggly funbags only to humour their masters with no other purpose or even somekind of spore spreaders. :shock:
First: Mammals are usually classified as creatures that give birth to live young so the loroi are most likely mammals.

Second: I'd like for you to present this theory to the loroi science fair and see what reaction your "controversial" claim gets (and do be careful to wear clothes that absorbes blood easily, no need to get it on the carpet :D).