Loroi sexuality

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Mayhem

Re: Loroi sexuality

Post by Mayhem »

Trantor wrote:
fredgiblet wrote:
Trantor wrote:The out-tech part comes from the Historians.
Ah, so the Historians are going to hand us tech and the Loroi won't know or care about it
What can they do? After the war, when they´re worn out?
I´m not talking about a short time span of a few months.
That the Historians will approach us at doesn't seem all that likely.

Based on the comic, insider and Arioch's past posts; the Historians don't seem to get much involved with other races until they attacked whereby they then supply the attacker's enemies/competition with technology and an alliance.

Do you see the Loroi attacking the Historians any time soon after the war is over?
When they are still worn out from the current one?

I don't and I bet the Historians would come to the same conclusion.

So,
Short term: Current war, baring massive plot changing devices/events another 20 - 50 years seems plausible.

Medium term: Up to 50 years after the war, Loroi are recovering from the war, Humans achieve tech parity with the Loroi without Historian assistance (current forum estimates are 80 years and Arioch didn't shoot it down)

Long term: 50+ years after the war, Humans push for more independence/less Loroi influence (depending on what kind of treaty is negotiated), potential Loroi-Human conflict, (Humans have slightly better tech, Loroi have vastly larger population, territory and military), probably solved diplomatically.

Very long term: 150+ years after the war, Loroi-Human conflict more probable, probably solved militarily. Historians sit smugly on the side lines having not gotten involved.
Trantor wrote:
fredgiblet wrote:gotcha.
No need to get bitchy.
Pot meet Kettle. :D
Trantor wrote:
fredgiblet wrote:If we're valuable they won't kill us, even if they don't really like us.
How can you know?
If you are fighting for survival you don't waste time killing an potential ally because they have an annoying laugh and poor hygiene. :)
Particle beam cannons are mass drivers :D
Fireblade's character sheet: '-1: Telepathically "talks" in sleep' 8-)

VonWolffe

Post by VonWolffe »

I had something I wanted to mention, even though the conversation has since moved on considering the compatibility of Human and Loroi. I must preface this by saying that I will knowingly and willingly concede that everyone here is more familiar with the subject matter than myself and this is my own interpretation and understanding.

As has previously been stated, Loroi females are introduced to sexual activity early in their lives for the purposes of procreation but have limited access afterward. They do experience pleasure from sex and no doubt enjoy the activity. Arioch has also stated that there are individuals (read: sexual deviants in their society) who would be attracted to Humans and even consider pursuing sexual activity and perhaps even (unconventional/unusual) relationships. He has also stated that access to males is strictly controlled and homosexual relations between Loroi females are also unusual and taboo (but also probably still happen).

With this in mind we can assume that Loroi males are very experienced (skilled) sexually. Females on the other hand are likely a bit awkward during their first encounters and afterward have to make due with other sources of stimulation. This formula to me puts Loroi females in a position of sexual frustration; they have experienced it, they like it, their first experiences were good ones. Society tells them sex is only for procreation, and they have limited opportunity to experience it or even find partners for it.

Human men and women on the other hand have more opportunities than Loroi (females) and are blessed with multiple sexual partners throughout their lives along with numerous encounters with those partners. Ignoring the likelihood of encounters between them, Loroi males would find their Human partners far more experienced (skilled) than they are used to. Loroi females would find their male partners experienced (though less so than male Loroi), willing, available, and without the risk of pregnancy there is no danger to one's duties military or otherwise to carry on.

I imagine it would start off as only a curious thought to one of a single 'deviant' Loroi, one day an encounter, and then the knowledge of this compatibility would spread like wildfire. Loroi women have a need and Human men are plentiful (comparatively) and eager partners, despite being 'mute' and 'deaf' to telepathy. With time I could only imagine more and more Loroi would consider Humanity acceptable partners; "They are different, they are curious, they are not Loroi but...". There is no downside I can perceive other than 'it's weird right now!'. The closest comparison I can draw is that Humanity is similar the first African slaves to European (Loroi) conquerors; different languages and perceived as subhuman savages. Interracial couples today are common, and the majority of us know better than to think such things.

Intimacy by means of telepathy has been mentioned a few times here, implying that telepathy is required to form the necessary bond/closeness and comfort for the deed. I will admit that it would smooth the process for the act itself and allow one to 'hit all the right spots' to make their partners happy, but Loroi males are not expected to form relationships with their mates; their role is already determined. Loroi females are discouraged from carrying on with other females, and individuals who would pursue such a relationship are likely quite rare. A telepathic community to me offers unity, acceptance and camaraderie, but intimacy? Humans may be the only ones who can teach the Loroi the meaning of the word. Bear in mind this is only based on my understanding and in no way meant to be interpreted as 'fact'.

Anyway, despite my perhaps creepy introduction, I am happy to join a community I respect and hope that Arioch will continue his excellent work.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Jericho wrote:
fredgiblet wrote:Near certainty. The Loroi and our own handlers would be stupid to not create Loroi celebrities in our culture and the value of a "marriage" in that field would be immense. It won't happen right away obviously, but that Loroi action star marrying the studly pop singer? Oh yes, it's going to happen sooner or later.
You keep talking about loroi celebrities. But who would volunteer for the job? And why exactly would it be an action star? A political figurehead seems more plauseable to me.
Major political figures are usually already married, and unlikely to switch at the drop of a hat (among other things, if they just suddenly went with one of these "young" spry Loroi, they'd get accused of hunting trophy wives, which would damage their career).

On the other hand, celebrities offer all of the visibility of a politician (even more, in fact), and unless things have changed by the time of Outsider, divorces between them won't be rare, which the Loroi will find reassuring because it will offer an "escape hatch" if the situation in some way goes south (example: the Mizol in question accidentally married the equivalent of Tom Cruise).
Mayhem wrote:
Trantor wrote:
fredgiblet wrote:Ah, so the Historians are going to hand us tech and the Loroi won't know or care about it
What can they do? After the war, when they´re worn out?

Based on the comic, insider and Arioch's past posts; the Historians don't seem to get much involved with other races until they attacked whereby they then supply the attacker's enemies/competition with technology and an alliance.

Do you see the Loroi attacking the Historians any time soon after the war is over?
When they are still worn out from the current one?

I don't and I bet the Historians would come to the same conclusion.
A few flaws in your analysis:
1) I recall Arioch mentioning at some point that the Historians are, among other things, technology merchants. As I best recall, one or another of the more common weapons used by even non-allies of the Historians is a low-tech (presumably antiquated by Historian standards) Historian weapon.
2) The Historians are apparently slightly paranoid about Loroi telepathy. It's one of (though not the only) reason why they use AIs for most (or all?) of their diplomatic and trade missions. If Humans and Loroi start dealing with each other commonly, then at some point the Historians will catch on that the Loroi have trouble reading us, and some time after that they'll figure out that the Loroi effectively can't "see" us at all.

Either of those is enough for us to get an initial boost from the Historians, but both in combination will work wonders for Historian-Human relations.

And the Loroi won't try to do too much to stop it, because my that time they'll have figured out that they can manipulate us in approximately the same way as each other (the similarity alone will be reassuring), and more importantly, they'll have figured out that while latching onto the research of a rival (or even allied) sub-group of Loroi requires actually moving people around (one of the major functions of the Listel is carrying information between geographically separated scientific enclaves), all that they require to tap into Human research is access to the relevant computers. The Mizol will be simultaneously depressed and enthused at this, but the result will be certain regardless: the Loroi will turn us into another science-specialized affiliate, because it'll be so much easier than doing it to themselves.

Edited in: To add something Trantor would find relevant:
The Historians play us against the Loroi,
The Loroi play us against the Historians (they live for centuries, they can afford to be patient),
We play the Historians and Loroi against each other.
Everyone gets their feathers ruffled, noone gets wiped out, because the three groups mesh too well for anything else.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Jericho wrote:You keep talking about loroi celebrities. But who would volunteer for the job? And why exactly would it be an action star? A political figurehead seems more plauseable to me.
Who said anything about volunteering? The statement I have in my head for the fanfic about this that I'm probably not going to write is "you give me 25 Loroi, I'll give you 25 billion humans. I think that's a fair trade". The Loroi leadership will give us a couple dozen Loroi who have sufficient talent to do the job, with orders to do what the strange man in the ill-fitting suit says, whatever it is for the greater good. They don't have to like it, they just have to follow orders.

Political figureheads are a terrible idea, you talked about scapegoats and there's few things more divisive than politics, having a political figurehead is a straight-shot to a headache. Actors don't typically draw a significant negative reaction unless they are either massive douchebags or put too much emphasis on non-acting things (Tom Cruise and Scientology), so you can gain some ground without much risk. Action star isn't necessarily the only option, but it seems like the easiest for a Loroi to fall into, think Act of Valor, great movie even if the acting was poor. Get a Loroi Marine, her job in the movie is to shoot stuff and look pretty, two things she's probably already good at, the only thing she needs to learn is how to toss out one-liners. There's other options (and obviously we wouldn't want to have all of them doing the same thing) but that seems the easiest.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

@Trantor

The central issue seems to be that our desires for the endgame and our thoughts on how things will progress are incompatible. I'm not going to convince you, you aren't going to convince me. Let's both agree that we're glad the other isn't going to be in charge when things go down.
Mayhem wrote:Pot meet Kettle. :D
I'm always amused by how quick he is to call out others on tone, hypocrisy and nationalism
VonWolffe wrote:*snip*
Pretty much spot on with my thoughts on the subject. I expect there won't ever be a majority of Loroi females looking for love, but I think that a fair number of them will end up being with humans at one point or another just because of availability.

Of course there are important considerations like how the Loroi government feels about it, but as I've had to repeat many times, I don't think they're stupid so I don't think they'll do much more than say "keep it indoors". They could of course go the other way and say "If you so much as SEE a human penis you'll never touch a Loroi male again!" but I think that would be wasteful and counter-productive (look at how well telling kids to not have sex has worked for US!), so my bet is there reaction will be more like "...god damnit...fine, whatever, just...just try not to be stupid about it, OK?"

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

Mayhem wrote:I am suggesting that our constant, impenetrable Lotai might subconsciously register as a "lack of 'soul'".
It might, which is why I think it is an interesting subversion of the "aliens look like us, they must be like us" trope :)
Victor_D wrote:I was talking about the typical Loroi female who would exhibit xenophobia and species chauvinism.
Do we know what a "typical Loroi" (whatever that means in their culture) is like? They may be brought up that way, especially since so many of them are essentially soldiers, but there usually is a difference between acquired, culture-specific knowledge and personal instincts. No doubt many of the white soldiers in the early days of colonization were led to believe that the natives were only marginally better than animals (no proper religion, no 'advanced' technology, 'primitive' customs, etc.), but many of them ended up infatuated/falling in love with local women, who were often radically different in appearance and behaviour from European women.

I am thinking that given sufficient opportunity, the Loroi would behave the same. Obviously they're not going to behave like that under the watchful eye/mind of their superior officers, which explains most of the reactions to Alex we've seen so far.
Beryl doesn't count as she is described as a xenophile and is therefore atypical and a potential "sexual outlier".
Or she is more intellectual than the 'typical Loroi' and therefore better able to sift through the chronic xenophobic indoctrination, which makes her less ashamed for being naturally curious about things and people that are different.
Reviewing pages 19 - 101 Beryl is the only Loroi so far that is clearly (& honestly) friendly to Alex.
Tempo is a spy and a diplomat so we can't determine anything about her real attitude to Alex from her behaviour.
Fireblade and Stillstorm are clearly hostile to and distrustful of Alex.
(Fireblade does have moments of sad reflection/pity it seems but how this pertains to Alex is yet to be seen.)
The rest seem to be divided between hostility and neutrality with a scattering of cautious curiosity.

So it seems reasonable that the typical Loroi female would be unlikely to be interested in becoming intimate with a human male.
Many of the reactions are no doubt a result of their suspicion that Alex is some kind of an Umiak ruse. They may also be a bit freaked out by his 'Lotai' ability - I'd certainly be highly suspicious if in the middle of a battle with a devious enemy I found a being which from the looks of it might be an enemy genetic construct, especially if it was somehow able to resist my 'mind-meld' and I'd thus be unable to verify its story. It all seems very convenient, as Tempo hinted.

Therefore, I wouldn't assume that what we've seen so far are 'typical' reactions humans will experience when meeting Loroi for all times to come.
fredgiblet wrote:You're relatively new on the forums so you may not have had a chance to see the character sheets, but Beryl has Xenophilia (not what you think), so she's going to be much more accepting of Alex then the other Loroi. She might not be showing that level of body language to a slug-creature, but a lot of what's going on with her and Alex is particular to her, not to the Loroi as a whole.
As I said above, I believe this is a result of her being more intellectually developed than the average Loroi 'grunt'; thus she is more open to things that are new and interesting (and I mean it in perfectly non-sexual way now). The other Loroi might be suspicious at first, but I doubt they'd remain so after a prolonged contact with humans.

(Many foreigners claim that Czechs display exactly this attitude: when you first come here, they all seem cold and suspicious and it is hard to make them open up to you. But once it happens, they are suddenly very friendly, welcoming, and curious about you.)

In short, my argument is that the perceived hostility we've seen is a result of the abnormal (*umiak kktkthttkk sounds in the background*) circumstances of the first contact and the cultural barriers between the Loroi and Terrans. I think this will get better in time.
More than just ethical. We probably represent a major part of their history, it may be a part they don't want to be brought up (since they'd rather be created from whole cloth to be more special) but the value of picking us apart genetically and examining our history is too high for them to give up.
Definitely. The question is whether the powers-that-be want to find out. I am sure humans would be curious, but the Loroi who've constructed their 'national myth' on the basis of their perceived true Soia heritage will be apprehensive of what they might uncover.

After all, how would humans like to find out we were in reality constructed for fun, because some alien man-child was bored and decided to play with little apes he'd randomly discovered? Wait, no need for such an analogy - just look at how certain religious people react to the scientific explanation of where Homo sapiens came from. No higher purpose, no "made in God's image", it's hard to stomach for many.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Victor_D wrote:Definitely. The question is whether the powers-that-be want to find out. I am sure humans would be curious, but the Loroi who've constructed their 'national myth' on the basis of their perceived true Soia heritage will be apprehensive of what they might uncover.
But here's the thing, if they ignore it then they lose their mystique, they aren't as special anymore. If they investigate they may find something that can give them that back.

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

fredgiblet wrote:
Victor_D wrote:Definitely. The question is whether the powers-that-be want to find out. I am sure humans would be curious, but the Loroi who've constructed their 'national myth' on the basis of their perceived true Soia heritage will be apprehensive of what they might uncover.
But here's the thing, if they ignore it then they lose their mystique, they aren't as special anymore. If they investigate they may find something that can give them that back.
Or they'll find out that they were truly meant to be just exotic food for the Soia, who couldn't eat humans because of their different biochemistry ;) (It would explain why they're mostly female, you see, that's how you raise cattle. Also, female flesh will probably be more tender... :twisted: )

JQBogus

Post by JQBogus »

Victor_D wrote:
fredgiblet wrote:
Or they'll find out that they were truly meant to be just exotic food for the Soia, who couldn't eat humans because of their different biochemistry ;) (It would explain why they're mostly female, you see, that's how you raise cattle. Also, female flesh will probably be more tender... :twisted: )

Bordered in Blue?

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

fredgiblet wrote:But here's the thing, if they ignore it then they lose their mystique, they aren't as special anymore. If they investigate they may find something that can give them that back.
Cough Cough "Telepathy" Cough.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Mali wrote:
bunnyboy wrote:Just admit that you want to see hot loroi girl on girl action.
He cracked my evil plan. Need to dispose him immediately.
What! Have a distraction instead.

Supporter of forum RPG

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

Jericho wrote:
fredgiblet wrote:But here's the thing, if they ignore it then they lose their mystique, they aren't as special anymore. If they investigate they may find something that can give them that back.
Cough Cough "Telepathy" Cough.
Almost completely off-topic: has somebody mentioned Call to Arms by Alan D. Foster on this forum?

Specifically, I mean the ability of humans to shield from telepathy. The "evil" race in CtA, the Ampliturs, use telepathic suggestion to control the subjugated races of their empire and bend them to their will. However, this requires telepathic contact with the mind to which they are "suggesting". In a plot twist by the end of the 1st book, the Ampliturs find out that the human mind is so disorderly, chaotic, and violent that even a casual contact with it sends the Amplitur attempting it into a convulsive shock :)

So, the Loroi should really feel lucky that they just can't penetrate the human mental barrier.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

fredgiblet wrote:Let's both agree that we're glad the other isn't going to be in charge when things go down.
Well, ok.
But do you really have no problem living on your knees?

fredgiblet wrote:
Mayhem wrote:Pot meet Kettle. :D
I'm always amused by how quick he is to call out others on tone, hypocrisy and nationalism
See? that´s the most important point since it all serves for the entertainment. ;)

Mayhem wrote:
Trantor wrote:What can they do? After the war, when they´re worn out?

No. But i see Historians who have read their version of Macchiavelli very carefully.
They´re not keen on Loroi hegemony.

Mayhem wrote:Short term: Current war, baring massive plot changing devices/events another 20 - 50 years seems plausible.

Medium term: Up to 50 years after the war, Loroi are recovering from the war, Humans achieve tech parity with the Loroi without Historian assistance (current forum estimates are 80 years and Arioch didn't shoot it down)

Long term: 50+ years after the war, Humans push for more independence/less Loroi influence (depending on what kind of treaty is negotiated), potential Loroi-Human conflict, (Humans have slightly better tech, Loroi have vastly larger population, territory and military), probably solved diplomatically.

Very long term: 150+ years after the war, Loroi-Human conflict more probable, probably solved militarily. Historians sit smugly on the side lines having not gotten involved.
Ah, finally someone who has a grasp about time-spans!
sapere aude.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

bunnyboy wrote:What! Have a distraction instead.

ENCORE!!
sapere aude.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

JQBogus wrote: Coming soon to a theater near you (for Human consumption only):

"I Married a Mizol!"
Alex (Human Actor) and Tempo (Loroi Actress) are young diplomats who's superiors decide they should get married in order to improve Loroi-Human relations. With much trepidation and low expectations, they go through with it. After many humorous incidents find that they've actually fallen in love.
I think we should all see this movie. I hear the love scene's are amazing.

Almost completely off-topic: has somebody mentioned Call to Arms by Alan D. Foster on this forum?

Specifically, I mean the ability of humans to shield from telepathy. The "evil" race in CtA, the Ampliturs, use telepathic suggestion to control the subjugated races of their empire and bend them to their will. However, this requires telepathic contact with the mind to which they are "suggesting". In a plot twist by the end of the 1st book, the Ampliturs find out that the human mind is so disorderly, chaotic, and violent that even a casual contact with it sends the Amplitur attempting it into a convulsive shock :)

So, the Loroi should really feel lucky that they just can't penetrate the human mental barrier.
Never heard of it (google time).

But i seriously doubt a loroi would really go in to shock but i do think they might be shocked at what goes on inside our heads. More like a "The Fck is this" kind of reaction. If they ever gets inside.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

kclcmdr

Post by kclcmdr »

Trantor wrote:...

No. But i see Historians who have read their version of Macchiavelli very carefully.
They´re not keen on Loroi hegemony.
Well ...
the Loroi does know that the Historians appears to have superior firepower due to them 'loaning' to them one of their 'dumb-down' Plasma Focus unit that allowed the Loroi to build their own version of a new Pulse Cannon...

And possibly the Historians had stopped or eventually pushed the Invading Umiaks out of their territorial domains and thus showing the Loroi that they possibly have a viable Military Force to be reckon with.

It might have been mentioned before in prior posts..
One wonders what type of 'humour' that the Historian Observer was referring to in Page 55 when he saw Alex for the first time and was probably pondering what 'Joke' the Loroi were pulling at his expense ? :mrgreen:

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Now serious question time!

How would human culture affect the loroi? Especially our liberal standards on sex (Presumably).

I wonder if human pornographic media would be interested in hiring loroi "actresses" (who am i kidding of course they would). If so would loroi females be interested? They don't really have any cultural objection of females being open about their sexuality (and i'm not talking about homosexuality) but they may find it unfitting for warriors to partake in such a lowly profession.

Then there are the loroi males. I have no doubt they'd jump on the opportunity but would it even be legal? I'm pretty certain some conservative community would probably be able to link their childlike features to pedophilia regardless of any knowledge about loroi biology. Could it be possible that Loroi male and human female sex will be outlawed in human space?
Last edited by Jericho on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VonWolffe

Post by VonWolffe »

fredgiblet wrote: Of course there are important considerations like how the Loroi government feels about it, but as I've had to repeat many times, I don't think they're stupid so I don't think they'll do much more than say "keep it indoors". They could of course go the other way and say "If you so much as SEE a human penis you'll never touch a Loroi male again!" but I think that would be wasteful and counter-productive (look at how well telling kids to not have sex has worked for US!), so my bet is there reaction will be more like "...god damnit...fine, whatever, just...just try not to be stupid about it, OK?"
I am not terribly familiar with Loroi government, but I imagine that they are mostly females of the species and have more opportunities to enjoy the ministrations of male mates due to their status. If this is the case, though they might be more traditionally minded and resistant to change there are individuals amoung them who would weigh the risks and perhaps become curious themselves. After all if we are biologically compatible with ine anotherand there are no risks involved then why not? I very much agree with your interpretation of their reaction; humanity appears to be a genuine sexual alternative and stranger things have happened.

I hope that an alliance with the Loroi leads to a kind of cultural integration between us over time, we have a lot to offer one another socially, culturally and technologically. They might be a xenophobic race, but humanity seems to share more similarities than differences with them and might just overcome this barrier. The conclusion seems to be: Loroi men are for procreation, human men are for fun.

All of this depends on the precedent that Alex sets of course. Godspeed my friend.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

VonWolffe wrote:
I am not terribly familiar with Loroi government, but I imagine that they are mostly females of the species and have more opportunities to enjoy the ministrations of male mates due to their status. If this is the case, though they might be more traditionally minded and resistant to change there are individuals amoung them who would weigh the risks and perhaps become curious themselves. After all if we are biologically compatible with ine anotherand there are no risks involved then why not? I very much agree with your interpretation of their reaction; humanity appears to be a genuine sexual alternative and stranger things have happened.

I hope that an alliance with the Loroi leads to a kind of cultural integration between us over time, we have a lot to offer one another socially, culturally and technologically. They might be a xenophobic race, but humanity seems to share more similarities than differences with them and might just overcome this barrier. The conclusion seems to be: Loroi men are for procreation, human men are for fun.

All of this depends on the precedent that Alex sets of course. Godspeed my friend.
TRAITOR! PROSTITUTING OUR WORLDS TO THE ALIENS MAY YOUR PENIS FREEZE AND FALL OF! :twisted:

ALL HAIL HUMAN DOMINANCE ALL HAIL THE EMPEROR OF MAN! :twisted:

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Jericho wrote:TRAITOR! PROSTITUTING OUR WORLDS TO THE ALIENS MAY YOUR PENIS FREEZE AND FALL OF! :twisted:

ALL HAIL HUMAN DOMINANCE ALL HAIL THE EMPEROR OF MAN! :twisted:
Welcome to the mud pit...
sapere aude.