WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Wintermute

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Wintermute »

Talk about an ominous ship. Such an imposing color-scheme too; even the dramatic lighting is over-bearing.

Edit: Also, Tempo's expression is fantastic.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Wintermute wrote:Talk about an ominous ship. Such an imposing color-scheme too; even the dramatic lighting is over-bearing.

Edit: Also, Tempo's expression is fantastic.
for some reason, now that the TT- super Battleship is coloured . . . I'm really scared of it now and what to get VERY FAR away form it.

Looks like tempo is as surprised as me, such large warship of doom is coming their way, guess the loroi losing their Far-seeing abilities and those the tt supers coming aren't a coincidence. It appears that the Umaik are starting offensive operations now that the Loroi have lost a key advantage.
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

Yeah. I think Tempo's expression pretty much sums it up.

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

The "OH DEAR GOD NO" expression just makes me want to say, Bravely run away.
OUTSIDER UPDATE => HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

I think Tempo's expression might have more behind it than the incoming Umiak alone.

There are plenty of Loroi around to provide reaction shots if it's the ship that's terrifying. Fireblade, for instance, must have some particularly awful feelings regarding Umiak ships bearing down on her, since she survived the destruction of another ship. I think there might be some special reason for it to be Tempo that's shocked. I think this especially since Tempo, as a Mizol, would have been been specifically trained and conditioned to control her reactions, and as a 50-year-old veteran of the front line will have become somewhat more inured to shocking battlefield developments than, say, Beryl, a 14-year-old agoraphobe from a non-warrior caste.

If Tempo had a cup of coffee in her hand she'd be doing a spit-take right now. The other Loroi we see next to her is not reacting nearly so strongly. So I'd think there would have to be something specific to Tempo causing her to react like that, especially since it'd have to break through all the training a Mizol would have to undergo to do decent spywork or to lie adequately, but would leave the relatively straightlaced and earnest Loroi on the bridge unaffected.

So, maybe something specific to Tempo's duties gives her some terrifying information that the rest of the Loroi wouldn't know. Maybe the Farseer just told her something terrifying, like, if she can't sense any of the incoming ships, or if she sees a much larger fleet right in the next system preparing to jump in and reinforce this one, or if she's gone completely blind and can no longer sense even her fellow Loroi, or something. Maybe it's not even Farseer related, maybe she personally recognizes that specific ship, or maybe she telepathically received orders from headquarters or something, but I think it might be something special, beyond "oh fuck look at the size of 'em."

Rosen_Ritter_1

Post by Rosen_Ritter_1 »

I actually don't see why it'd be shocking at all for the crew to be a bit unnerved for Still Storm ordering them to continue holding the line against this larger Umiak wave. They managed to repel the previous wave, but took loses when the enemy closed in and expended all their special ammunition. You got to remember that while the Loroi have a major advantage at range, the Umiak are much better at point blank brawls due to more powerful close range weapons and tougher armor/screens. If they get any significant number of ships close in the task force will be in trouble.

Task Force 51 is probably going to get hammered badly by this next wave.

dfacto

Post by dfacto »

NOMAD wrote:Looks like tempo is as surprised as me, such large warship of doom is coming their way, guess the loroi losing their Far-seeing abilities and those the tt supers coming aren't a coincidence. It appears that the Umaik are starting offensive operations now that the Loroi have lost a key advantage.
Actually I don't think the Farseeing is specific enough to make out ship sizes, so I imagine meeting a superheavy/ultraheavy is an unpleasant surprise every time.

And I think my stupid "I made poop" joke would probably be more appropriate for this new WIP. :D

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

Solemn wrote:I think Tempo's expression might have more behind it than the incoming Umiak alone.
I think it's safe to say that Tempo's reaction is to the unusual presence of the superheavy in the Umiak fleet. While others on the bridge might have similar reactions, as an intel officer, she knows just how rare it is for one of these ships to show up.

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

I was just thinking about the superheavy. Since the Umiak who engineer and construct their ships are often assigned to them for life, maybe some Umiak design ships that are prohibitively costly to operate on the front consistently in order to extend their own lifespans. More time to write poetry and play drums.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

dfacto wrote:
NOMAD wrote:Looks like tempo is as surprised as me, such large warship of doom is coming their way, guess the loroi losing their Far-seeing abilities and those the tt supers coming aren't a coincidence. It appears that the Umaik are starting offensive operations now that the Loroi have lost a key advantage.
Actually I don't think the Farseeing is specific enough to make out ship sizes, so I imagine meeting a superheavy/ultraheavy is an unpleasant surprise every time.

And I think my stupid "I made poop" joke would probably be more appropriate for this new WIP. :D
First, DO NOT put up the photo, once was enough for me and the amount of drinks needed for me to forget that image, I don't have a big enough fridge.

as for far-seeing, I was referring to the general applications, since now the loroi will not be able to "sense" any Umaik fleet that will cross the steppes regions, now that their being jammed, althought you do have a point , far-seeing does has its limits

captainsmirk

Post by captainsmirk »

As far as we know the "jamming" (if that is what it is) is only effecting the Naam system, equally the Loroi far-seers must have been able to pick up something, otherwise SG51 and it (less fortunate) fellows would presumably not been dispatched in the first place...

Indeed Tempo's description of the problem suggests that the far-seers are aware of the Umiak but cannot provide precise (at least to their normal standard) data on their numbers and dispositions. The Umiak are not invisible simple hard to pin down, only the crew of the Bell were undetected, otherwise the Loroi wouldn't even be in the system.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

captainsmirk wrote:As far as we know the "jamming" (if that is what it is) is only effecting the Naam system.
This, or the phenomenon is totally new.
sapere aude.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Doesn't look like there will be any need for diplomactic words.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

I'm not sure about that, Still Storm might still be fuming from tempo's "interference" but this is a an usual situation

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Just sayin' looks like she's telling Tempo to talk to the hand, Stillstorm has this.

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

Simmadownnow.

Rosen_Ritter_1

Post by Rosen_Ritter_1 »

Why is it that I'm suddenlly imagining Stillstorm as Samuel Jackson?

"Stay cool bitch, I got this!"

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Gesture and expression is what i expect from her. I´m curious on the dialogue.
sapere aude.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

This is usually the part where I'd make some kind of sage prediction about what is going to happen next, but honestly I haven't the foggiest clue. Is Stillstorm telling Tempo to back off, or just wait a second? Is she going to cut the comm link before the Umiak get a chance to speak? Is she going to tell them to leave or else?

Tamren

Post by Tamren »

"Is that bad?"
"Yes, very bad"

Is what I hear when I look at their expressions.