Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Absalom

Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Post by Absalom »

Arioch wrote:
Absalom wrote:Agreed. Also, has that book project gotten published yet?
Which book do you mean?
The one you did art for, "Rise of the Titans" I think it was.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Absalom wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Absalom wrote:Agreed. Also, has that book project gotten published yet?
Which book do you mean?
Ah. It's been a while since I heard from him, but I don't think he actually started writing it.

Jack

Post by Jack »

joestej wrote: Hope these are helpful for you.
Thank you very much!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The discussion of decoys and jamming was getting a bit off-topic, so I moved it to its own thread here.

joestej

Post by joestej »

Arioch wrote:The discussion of decoys and jamming was getting a bit off-topic, so I moved it to its own thread here.
Oh thank god, that was driving me nuts.
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Huh?, I also value Arioch very highly. But I do not consider him a god.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

Arioch wrote:The discussion of decoys and jamming was getting a bit off-topic, so I moved it to its own thread here.
Definitely for the best. Thanks for the sanity check!
Krulle wrote:Huh?, I also value Arioch very highly. But I do not consider him a god.
:lol: Weeeeelllll... Maybe not a god. How about demiurge? :P

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

He is a demiurge, yes.

i also forgot to write that I thank him too.... (for having moved the particular discussion elsewhere)
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Arioch wrote:
Absalom wrote:
Arioch wrote:Which book do you mean?
Ah. It's been a while since I heard from him, but I don't think he actually started writing it.
Huh, I assumed he'd at least gotten a rough draft before he went looking for art. Well, thanks for the update!

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Archaic Umiak has abstracted tokens for larger values, and the symbols for these are sometimes used as shortcuts instead of the full binary representations.
What might these numerals look like? (And even though I'm guessing the answer is "no", I probably ought to ask if there are any letters that have been dropped from (1) Umiakese (2) Loroi Trade in years gone by?)
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

If you leave the 2 (KT) off the beginning of the exponential notation it will be assumed, and you can chain exponents (KT ^ KTT ^ KK = KT ^ KKTT = 4096).
Carl Miller wrote:(And even though I'm guessing the answer is "no", I probably ought to ask if there are any letters that have been dropped from (1) Umiakese (2) Loroi Trade in years gone by?)
Sure, there must have been many dialects and variants over the millennia. And no, I don't have any interest in mapping them out.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Is there any chance I could request a picture of an umiak riding an umiak? You know, for science. :D
Don't delay, join today!

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

Carl Miller wrote:Is there any chance I could request a picture of an umiak riding an umiak? You know, for science. :D
Yo dawg, we heard you like umiaks. So we put some umiaks in an umiak so you could see them at sea!

Edit- I finally came up with a decent ending
Last edited by Turrosh Mak on Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Argron

Post by Argron »

Carl Miller wrote:Is there any chance I could request a picture of an umiak riding an umiak? You know, for science. :D
That would be...
( •_•)>⌐■-■ / (⌐■_■)
... Buggery.
YEEEAAAH

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

What is the average height / weight Arekka? They Avian, or just something to ground with feathers / fur?

Nissek expanded towards the people and have been blocked Loroi / Barsam, or they are the wrong way initially not too eager?

What will take (hypothetically) Umiak, if they manage to drive a wedge into the Union to Mannadi-Arekka space (on the Loroi-Historian border like, well, except that it will effectively mean the defeat of the Union)? What will their actions in the Loroi occupied species?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Tamri wrote:What is the average height / weight Arekka? They Avian, or just something to ground with feathers / fur?
A typical Arekka is 2.5m tall and weighs 50-60kg. They are descended from ground-walking animals and have no ancestry of natural flight; the downy covering is for insulation and display.
Tamri wrote:Nissek expanded towards the people and have been blocked Loroi / Barsam, or they are the wrong way initially not too eager?
Earlier in their history the Nissek aggressively attempted to expand in all directions, and they waged a number of territorial wars against their neighbors, including the Mannadi and Barsam. Their spinward expansion attempts were mostly thwarted by the Mannadi and Barsam, and the formation of the Loroi Union in 1557 formally put an end to their attempts to expand in that direction.
Tamri wrote:What will take (hypothetically) Umiak, if they manage to drive a wedge into the Union to Mannadi-Arekka space (on the Loroi-Historian border like, well, except that it will effectively mean the defeat of the Union)?
Driving along the Loroi-Historian border would be a dangerous strategy, because occupied Mannadi and Arekka territories are not critical to the Loroi war effort, and such an offensive would form a long, narrow salient that could be easily counterattacked by both Historian and Loroi forces anywhere along its length.
Tamri wrote:What will their actions in the Loroi occupied species?
That would depend on the situation; the Umiak haven't declared a clear policy on the subject. The Umiak demanded and received unconditional surrender from the Loroi and Neridi colonies that they overran at the beginning of the war, but then later began extermination of the captured populations.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote:
Tamri wrote:What will their actions in the Loroi occupied species?
That would depend on the situation; the Umiak haven't declared a clear policy on the subject. The Umiak demanded and received unconditional surrender from the Loroi and Neridi colonies that they overran at the beginning of the war, but then later began extermination of the captured populations.
Extermination of the Neridi population/colonies as well?
I'd be a bit surprised to hear they waged a succesful guerilla war as the Loroi did.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

In Warhammer 40k, GURPS and many other universes there are special munitions that create electro-magnetic pulses that short out cyborgs and machines. Would such ammunition types be effective against Umiak ground forces; or would the grubs have sufficient shielding built into their cybernetics to protect against such an obvious weakness?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

GeoModder wrote:Extermination of the Neridi population/colonies as well?
I'd be a bit surprised to hear they waged a succesful guerilla war as the Loroi did.
There were Loroi on the Neridi colonies as well. The Tinza sector was and is still fairly cosmopolitan, and the military bases are all Loroi-manned.
Grayhome wrote:In Warhammer 40k, GURPS and many other universes there are special munitions that create electro-magnetic pulses that short out cyborgs and machines. Would such ammunition types be effective against Umiak ground forces; or would the grubs have sufficient shielding built into their cybernetics to protect against such an obvious weakness?
Any military hardware needs to have some kind of EM shielding.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote:
GeoModder wrote:Extermination of the Neridi population/colonies as well?
There were Loroi on the Neridi colonies as well. The Tinza sector was and is still fairly cosmopolitan, and the military bases are all Loroi-manned.
Ah, of course. :oops:
It is telling that the Umiak didn't make a difference between the assumed few numbers of Loroi on Neridi colonies and the local Neridi populations.
Granted that the Neridi are by most the closest ally of the Loroi though. Did those genocides on occupied Neridi colonies start before or after the Hierarchy declared its anti-neutrality policy?