WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Krulle »

And another one:
Just looks like a discussion on maps.
Possibly Beryl is zooming out a bit, to show Alex a full sized map (and not just the region), so that he can understand their logistical issues regarding sending a team to the meeting point, or to Earth and her colonies...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Krulle wrote:And another one:
Just looks like a discussion on maps.
Possibly Beryl is zooming out a bit, to show Alex a full sized map (and not just the region), so that he can understand their logistical issues regarding sending a team to the meeting point, or to Earth and her colonies...

Beryl and Talon could be realising that Bellermines route is illogical for a lone ship on a contact mission but make perfect sense if there are more ships out there. :o

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

And that they are likely up to meet Umiak somewhere too.
And that thus a certain amount of hurry is in order.

And they might discuss the implications of a possibly guiding power, who led the humans to these likely systems, despite having neither contact with Loroi or Umiak, and the Orgus being from the other side of the Umiak, and allegedly only refugees. How did anyone know and was able to advice humanity that "contact" would be likely in these systems?

All these question would also lead to the question of Alex being an agent for whom? Knowingly or unknowingly...
(But seeing that the Historians are ahead of the Loroi on the tech curve, conversations inside a shuttle in contested areas might not be safe...)

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Could be that Talon is letting on that making real contact will be a long term goal with the current state of things, since the human systems are so out of the way and behind the tech curve as to be a one-way trip for most current long range vessels the Loroi have. Beryl is definitely looking worried, as though Alex's reaction is far from happy. He probably mentioned working more with Tempo, and all Beryl's hopes of getting close and hitting the information mother-lode are slipping through her fingers.

Zamballo

Post by Zamballo »

Beryl kind of looks like an inept PC user who is shocked and surprised when a pop up appears. Leaned back, concerned look, hands hold high so as to say: "It wasn't me!" Assuming she is still sitting down, then it makes sense that Talon, the trained pilot then takes over the interface and thus leans forward.

novius

Post by novius »

Sweforce wrote:Beryl and Talon could be realising that Bellermines route is illogical for a lone ship on a contact mission but make perfect sense if there are more ships out there. :o
Naw.... Beryl looks definitely shocked. "Something odd" would just tickle her inquisitive mind. Like the previous poster I would expect that kind of look on someone facing an unexpected popup.

Something like "UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS" splashed across the display in big red letters.

Mind you, Beryl is young (and thus maybe a bit naive and inexperienced) and such as not coping well with such setbacks. So (more experienced and calm) Talon takes over....

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

My guess is: they're interrupted by an unexpected communication from another vessel, with some equally unexpected news. Might be a good time to introduce the captain of the ship they're flying towards.

Another possibility might be that Alex is filling them in on the updated star charts that the Orgus provided, with regards to how far the Umiak are expanding.

---
As clever and tricky as it would be for the Orgus refugees to actually be Umiak agents, I'm not sure it makes sense. Surely if the Umiak knew about the existence of Humanity, they'd just send their own fleet and be done with it. I'm not sure they could have reliably pushed the fledgling space civilization to such extremely specific ends, I mean for all they know, humans might have done any or all of the varying plans that people have suggested here. Instead of sending out scouts, they might have evacuated, or sent out dragons teeth ships.

Imbrooge

Post by Imbrooge »

The simplest explanation would be the realization that it's a race, or that Humans are pretty much sitting right on top of the new planed front of the Umiak.

Zamballo

Post by Zamballo »

icekatze wrote: My guess is: they're interrupted by an unexpected communication from another vessel, with some equally unexpected news. Might be a good time to introduce the captain of the ship they're flying towards.
I do wonder why Ashrain has her own entry on the cast page. What are the chances that she somehow ends up ferrying Alex around?

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I'm not sure how to estimate the chances. I'd say Ashrain is more likely than Moonglow or Arclight, but my money* is on Opal.

*Disclaimer: 'money' is denominated in 'internet bucks' and cannot be exchanged for goods or services.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

My guess:

The situation is about to SHTF and someone, probably Ashrain, will pull the shuttle's collective bacon off the frying pan.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Now that I think about it, I always assumed for some reason that the Loroi farseers couldn't see all the way across Umiak territory. I figured their range was limited, and I can't remember if there was some reason for thinking that or if I just assumed.

If the range of their farseers isn't that limited, and if Alex pointed out the location of the Orgus, and no farseers detected the Umiak invading that region of space, then they might have reason to believe that the Orgus territory and Terran territory part of a route that Umiak forces would use to bypass the Loroi defenses with their farseer proof ships. Could Terra already be under Umiak control? Dun dun dunnn!

harlequin2262

Post by harlequin2262 »

IIRC they can see some distance across the steppes, but the Umiak mass their forces further behind their lines. Forces on the frontline are all detectable, but staging areas further back are too far away.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

harlequin2262 wrote:IIRC they can see some distance across the steppes, but the Umiak mass their forces further behind their lines. Forces on the frontline are all detectable, but staging areas further back are too far away.
Farseer range is not unlimited, but the issue in this case is not so much that they're farther away, but mainly that they're at populated planets, which mask the signatures of the ship crews.

thicket

Post by thicket »

Whale wrote:Image

"Oh no, my pikemen are being overrun by TANKS!"

Talon: "well you seem to be on Deity level....."

Arent

Post by Arent »

novius wrote:
Sweforce wrote:Naw.... Beryl looks definitely shocked. "Something odd" would just tickle her inquisitive mind. Like the previous poster I would expect that kind of look on someone facing an unexpected popup.

Something like "UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS" splashed across the display in big red letters.
Nope, I would say it's connected to the position of the earth. Maybe mythology says "there be dragons" or the area is off limits for Loroi for various reasons.

Arent

Post by Arent »

By the way, maybe there are real dragons. You know, in master of orion there were space dragons and crystals etc. Maybe the area is off limits because scout ships got lost repeatedly. I always lost my scout ships to these damn space dragons! :shock:

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

But where Dragons are, usually treasures can be found too.
Something like the Desolation of Smaug comes to my mind.

You have to cross the desolation to get to the treasure, which will also be well defended.
It may, in the tactical analyses of the Loroi, simply not be worth the effort. Preparing to cross a desert by assembling a large self-sustaining caravan, to corss the desert to look beyond.
That may simply be beyond the curiosity horizon of the Loroi.

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

thicket wrote:
"Oh no, my pikemen tanks are being overrun by TANKS! PIKEMEN!"

Talon: "well you seem to be on Deity level....."
Fixed that for you.

It wouldn't be Civ if a Phalanx didn't beat a tank, Ghandi didn't nuke everything, and the entire world didn't hate you for absolutely no reason whatsoever. :P
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Imperator Sylvor

Post by Imperator Sylvor »

Arent wrote:By the way, maybe there are real dragons. You know, in master of orion there were space dragons and crystals etc. Maybe the area is off limits because scout ships got lost repeatedly. I always lost my scout ships to these damn space dragons! :shock:
SpoilerShow
Stellaris style space dragons?

Yes please!
"A learning experience is one of those things that say, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that'." - Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt
"It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane." - Philip K. Dick, VALIS