Outsider Patreon Page

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

Re: Outsider Patreon Page

Post by Krulle »

Instead of going per pldge, use higher single higher gifts....

Anyway, I dislike the behaviour of Patreon and paypal, hence I never subscribed to either anyway....
Sorry.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Siber

Post by Siber »

My understanding from various creators I follow talking about it is that after this change the charges won't be one consolidated thing every month. From then on everyone will be charged monthly on the anniversary of their pledges, to eliminate certain abuse cases. Less consolidated billing leads to more fees, so conceivably Patreon isn't increasing it's cut any, just passing on processing fees, though of course that's hard to say for certain from outside the company. They also say that the current fee structure, with creators getting a sizable chunk less than their displayed total pledge due to all the fees coming out of the creator side, has caused a considerable amount of dissatisfaction to date. Presumably, that's mostly coming from the creator side, and I guess I can see that perspective, but irritating pledgers seems as risky as irritating creators.

Personally the changes aren't going to make me stop or change any of my current pledges, though other factors in my life might. I can understand some of the upset they're causing. I also haven't spent a huge ton of time analyzing the problems Patreon claims it's trying to solve and figuring how I'd rather they address them. I could also be way off base in my understanding of what's going on to, I guess!
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

Siber

Post by Siber »

Patreon decided to not do that. There was a lot of outcry about the plans, at least half the creators I follow were talking about investigating other platforms. Guess enough noise was made overall.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Well, it's a good sign that they know when to back down.

edit: Okay, I finally understand what they were trying to do (it's amazing how unclear the last-minute information they sent out about it was): essentially pass the payment fees from the creator to the patrons with an ADDITIONAL fee paid by the patrons. I can't imagine how they thought that was going to just sail by without a massive outcry. Pissing off the creators is one thing, but pissing off the people who make the payments is just plain dumb.

Still, I think it's important that they responded to feedback and corrected the change.

E=M.C^2

Post by E=M.C^2 »

Everything is back to "normal", for now. There is something in the French Constitution that makes clear any change must aim to a wider democracy (hence if you want to change how old you have to be to participate in a vote, the age lower limit can only go down, not up). So in a certain idealistic way, every system should function is to always increase the benefit of those the system serves, not the benefit of those who made the system.

Arioch, like everybody else in this forum I love what you create, and how you express it. You do something I can not (well, let's say that on the subject of drawing I am not even at the stick figure level…), and it makes me dream. While Patreon is not perfect, it is currently my only medium to reward you for your efforts. I just increased my pledge (I got a raise!!), you and the community deserve it.

Wishing you a happy end of the 2017 orbit! :D

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

E=M.C^2 wrote:Wishing you a happy end of the 2017 orbit! :D
Merci monsieur! For both the support and the kind words.