WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Jayngfet

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Jayngfet »

Arioch wrote:
Dorfington wrote:... so what is "anus" in Loroi?
tiio
If we're doing this, and god knows why we are, we may as well be specific.

Does that refer to the one specific part of anatomy, or just any expanding and contracting entrance in general anatomy.

I.E. does it mean anus specifically, or is it a general term like sphincter.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Sexy looking loli ship :P

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

The frigate Clearbrook?

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Looks like someone's in a hurry. The question is: are they hurrying to a rendezvous or not.

discord

Post by discord »

my guess is towards the sound of the guns, seems like the loroi way.... which will be annoying for our heroes.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Very nice. No idea what it's doing, but it looks great. Also:
Narrator wrote:Behold, a young Loroi frigate in its habitat. Cast out from the protection of its herd, it must venture forth to find a new group of peers that it can join. But lone ships are easy prey for various space predators - what experiences will this ship find as it seeks out members of its own kind? Tune in next time to Wild Space, the space life documentary.

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

inxsi wrote:Very nice. No idea what it's doing, but it looks great. Also:
Narrator wrote:Behold, a young Loroi frigate in its habitat. Cast out from the protection of its herd, it must venture forth to find a new group of peers that it can join. But lone ships are easy prey for various space predators - what experiences will this ship find as it seeks out members of its own kind? Tune in next time to Wild Space, the space life documentary.
"Jim is going to go poke it with a stick while I film the results from inside this concrete enclosure. Ready when you are, Jim."

Marlin Perkins and Jim Fowler, man that takes me waaaaaaaaaaay back.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I wish I knew how you make such clean and precise lines, Arioch. Usually when I try to replicate the effect, I end up fighting my tablet and redoing the same line repeatedly until I get it right. Maybe I need to start learning how to use a vector art program that was written in the last decade. Although these don't really look like vectors. The Black Razor is a beauty, though. No doubt about it.

I did have to go back through and check the ship classes being used, although I'm sure I must have done it before and just forgotten. The exchange between Ashrain and Moonglow in chapter 1 is even more interesting considering that the Katana is supposed to have less firepower than the Vanguard. But even if it has less firepower, the Black Razor definitely has a sleeker silhouette.

Also, if I recall correctly, Arclight's Torrent is a Scimitar Mk.3, which is noticeably smaller than the other two, but Arclight has been on the ball calling out events as they happen. 3 out of 4 times, if I'm counting right. (Which is awesome, go Torrent!)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

icekatze wrote:I wish I knew how you make such clean and precise lines, Arioch. Usually when I try to replicate the effect, I end up fighting my tablet and redoing the same line repeatedly until I get it right. Maybe I need to start learning how to use a vector art program that was written in the last decade. Although these don't really look like vectors.
It's mainly that I ink at a much larger size than the final product. The pages are colored at twice the web display size, and most of the linework is done at 150% of that size. The source line for this panel looks like this:

I work with the stylus in my right hand and my left hand on the keyboard, to quickly switch tools and hit ctrl-Z (undo) a lot. I use the eraser tool a lot to make lines finer when that's needed. I also do rotate the canvas sometimes when doing long lines (I find them easier to do when vertical), which the newer versions of Photoshop let you do (R key).
icekatze wrote:Also, if I recall correctly, Arclight's Torrent is a Scimitar Mk.3, which is noticeably smaller than the other two, but Arclight has been on the ball calling out events as they happen. 3 out of 4 times, if I'm counting right. (Which is awesome, go Torrent!)
During the battle at Naam, Arclight was leading the center squadron (the squadron that has Tempest itself in), and so she's kind of like the first sergeant of the strike group. After Winter Tide went down, Arclight took over the van squadron, so in the Leido action she's sort of filling both roles.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Nice boat :) I love how detailed you make them, Arioch, one can almost see the weld seams and rivets ;)

What class is this - Katana class battlecruiser? Been staring at the "ship identifier" page for a while now and the Katana looks most similar, although the bow looks different, longer than in the identifier. And, sorry, I can't read Loroi - what's her name?

Hmm.. Could it be that we can expect the next page soon?

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Thanks for the details! I still use my old copy of Photoshop 7.0 (2002) since that's the one I purchased legit, but I've been trying to get the hang of some less expensive alternatives like Clipstudio or Krita, and the ability to rotate the canvas is one of the big reasons why. I'll have to give it another try sometime soon. :)
entity2636 wrote:What class is this - Katana class battlecruiser?
I'm pretty sure that this is Ashrain's Katana class "Black Razor," based on the markings in black and white on the striped part.

There's an older forum post that covers the various ships in strike group 51. Loroi Order of Battle.

Also, I suspect you can read "loroi," because that's exactly what the text on the hull says, you just didn't even know it! :P (The writing under the pylon isn't clear enough for me to distinguish individual characters.)

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

icekatze wrote:I'm pretty sure that this is Ashrain's Katana class "Black Razor," based on the markings in black and white on the striped part.

There's an older forum post that covers the various ships in strike group 51. Loroi Order of Battle.
Right, thanks :) I haven't discovered that thread yet.
icekatze wrote:Also, I suspect you can read "loroi," because that's exactly what the text on the hull says, you just didn't even know it! :P (The writing under the pylon isn't clear enough for me to distinguish individual characters.)

Turns out I can indeed read Loroi :lol: :oops: How typical of me - saw the Loroi insignia and text next to it in Loroi script, assumed it's the ship's name :lol:

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Now I wonder if Tsunami will get an independent mission as well, away from Tempest.
Her bay doors seems open though.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

My first thought is, "Hey! A nice unobstructed view of the engine nozzle details, I think this is the first time we've had the chance." I was not expecting the long vertical slats, but in a way that makes sense, considering the super-science engines on the Highland are long slats.

I'm really curious to see more of Moonglow's personality. She hasn't had much of a chance to distinguish herself outside of being Ashrain's friendly-rival, and maybe that she's a little more cautious of a captain. Maybe.

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

Looks like someone's in a hurry. The question is: are they hurrying to a rendezvous or not.
Prescient remark, now panel 130 is online!

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Talon didn't like the answer...

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Ouch! Wonder what's happening to her...

Apparently I'm really sh!t at placing emotions on facial expressions, but from how her body's bent backwards and and eyes pinched shut it looks like she's in extreme pain and shock screaming her lungs out as if someone just stuck a red-hot knife in her back... Or someone is quite brutally mind raping her... Enemy "farshouter" attack?

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnn!

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Allright i'll post two prediction...

Number one: there's been a timelslip and for the last three days Beryl and Jardin has done nothing but eskimo kisses and telling eachother how much they love on another and poor Talon is now threatening to ram the shuttle in to the nearest star.

Number two: The Umiak have found a way to turn Loroi telepathy against them (probably by integrating living loroi in to computers le shadow style) and these loroi gives an enormous telepathic shout that cripples entire fleets of the loroi. This will lead to Jardins shining moment because of lotai and he will come up with a plan to save them all and ensure first contact between humanity and the loroi.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.