WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arent

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Arent »

dragoongfa wrote:Image

Looks like a minor station, probably a basic surveillance and communications post. Taken in context it looks like it will soon be part of the RIP list.
Looks like a master of orion starbase or battlestation. If the small lights are windows, it is pretty big.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Could be that they're going to mention the station as a possible place to go now that Clearbrook is bugging out.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I think the probability that the Highland 7 is going to divert to the Gora Relay has just gone up significantly. ;)

While the station does not look like a complete pushover, sporting as many point defense turrets as it appears to be, and what look like possibly some big shield emitters, I have doubts that it can handle two plus divisions by itself. If Highland 7 is going there, I imagine they'll want to refuel and get moving as soon as they can. And also, they may have to make some tough calls about who to leave behind themselves, just like the Clearbrook.

Looks like at least 16 point defense turrets by my count, and possibly some blasters too. I wonder, do stations get automatic upgrades like in Moo2, or are they possibly not a very high priority for the Loroi to upgrade with their latest and greatest tech?

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Krulle wrote:I think that's Gora Relay station, where Highland 7 will pass by soon enough.

Since we do not know distance, it might be a large station, but indeed, in terms of Loroi infrastructure I sssume it to be on the "smaller"side of station sizes, yet it'll be massively largr than any Human station Alex knows of.
The icon on page 123's tactical display seems to match the design of the station. The Leido-Sala Post seems to be either the same, or of a similar design, while the Tizaba Depot and the station on the Azimol vector look different. Interesting that the Rallis vector is unmanned (unloroied?). Maybe they didn't think it busy/important enough to warrant a station?

I'm hoping that they gas up and try to make a max effort sprint to link up with Black Razor.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Back on page 53, there's some of the early base station concept art. It looks like the Tizaba Depot is a tier or two above the Gora Relay, but also maybe a tier above the most basic station design.

According to Beryl, the jump point to Rallis leads to nowhere.

Arent

Post by Arent »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

Back on page 53, there's some of the early base station concept art. It looks like the Tizaba Depot is a tier or two above the Gora Relay, but also maybe a tier above the most basic station design.

According to Beryl, the jump point to Rallis leads to nowhere.
According to the picture it's a battlestation. So it packs a bit of a punch. If supported by other ships the fight might not be as unequal as it seems.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Krulle wrote:I think that's Gora Relay station, where Highland 7 will pass by soon enough.

Since we do not know distance, it might be a large station, but indeed, in terms of Loroi infrastructure I sssume it to be on the "smaller"side of station sizes, yet it'll be massively largr than any Human station Alex knows of.
page 92, where chapter two starts we see a part of a humanity made space station orbiting Mars. If that Loroi station are about the size I suspect it is tiny in comparison. I believe that humanity can build large, if not that advanced. It is also possible that we got ships larger then any loroi vessel described in the insider. We just do not know how large civilian craft can be, maybe some of them dwarfs the military ones. In our time Supertankers dwarfs most things for instance.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

To be fair, the space dock seen orbiting Earth was built around humanity's capitol and by far its largest population center. The Loroi battlestation is in a system with no habitable planets.

If I were to hazard a wild guess about the battlestation's armament and fighting capacity, I'd guess it is somewhere between a heavy battleship and a group command ship. Maybe the heavier screens and armor help make up for the lack of speed.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

I wonder how much mobility these stations have, since if they're taking hits then their orbit will be affected and need correction.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

To be fair, the space dock seen orbiting Earth was built around humanity's capitol and by far its largest population center. The Loroi battlestation is in a system with no habitable planets.

If I were to hazard a wild guess about the battlestation's armament and fighting capacity, I'd guess it is somewhere between a heavy battleship and a group command ship. Maybe the heavier screens and armor help make up for the lack of speed.
Of course. the loroi equivalent of that space station orbiting Mars are naturally going to be larger, a LOT larger. It is even possible that they may have orbital ring stations surrounding entire planets, complete with space elevators to move cargo and people o and from the surface.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Dahak

Post by Dahak »

Arioch wrote:Image
so a pre-Pulse Cannon Cruiser's Guns, Battleship Shields, CVL's fighters and twice those three ships combined point defense.

At 3g the entire Human fleet might catch it but they couldn't I think outfight it unless they got lucky and came out of jump inside railgun range.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Dahak wrote:At 3g the entire Human fleet might catch it but they couldn't I think outfight it unless they got lucky and came out of jump inside railgun range.
OK, 3G acceleration might not be much by Loroi standards, but still, one has to admit that the idea of a space station running away from an attacking fleet (and possibly even outrunning it) is kind of funny. Kind of like your birthday cake deciding "Nope, not want to be eaten" and legging it.

Less funny would be for a space station to come after a fleeing vessel and catching it :lol:

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

entity2636 wrote:
Dahak wrote:At 3g the entire Human fleet might catch it but they couldn't I think outfight it unless they got lucky and came out of jump inside railgun range.
OK, 3G acceleration might not be much by Loroi standards, but still, one has to admit that the idea of a space station running away from an attacking fleet (and possibly even outrunning it) is kind of funny. Kind of like your birthday cake deciding "Nope, not want to be eaten" and legging it.

Less funny would be for a space station to come after a fleeing vessel and catching it :lol:
That... may or may not have happened in a sci-fi MUD game I played forever and a day ago. In that instance, a very powerful station (that was NOT meant to be mobile) was towed through jump and released to drift right through an enemy fleet. The result? Dreadnought-level weapons auto-firing in close range against heavy cruiser shields and hulls. The fleet nope-ed out of there before they were shredded.

Also darkly funny for the Outsider universe would be a station commander, with no options left, ordering ramming speed against an immobilized ship.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

It's been a while since a girl looked at me like that.

I wonder if Alex' heart is melting too...

I also wonder what's going through her thoughts.
And am looking forward to next Monday.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Krulle wrote:I also wonder what's going through her thoughts.
Perhaps something along the lines of: I can only be punished for flirting with the human if we survive this mess. YOLO!

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Is direct skin contact with an alien considered an aggressive action among loroi, and thus bad form/bad etiquette?

In b4 touching humans is like crack to loroi, and their pilot is currently on a massive bender.

Arent

Post by Arent »

Krulle wrote:http://www.well-of-souls.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=30129#p30129

I still wonder a bit about the special "mind shield" of Humans. Maybe the Loroi/Alex will soon discover that there are other implications. Maybe certain Loroi can sense his thoughts or emotions. After all, it was Fireblade, not Beryl who tried that.

Or Beryl is just telling him that they will protect him, even at the cost of their lifes. Which Alex might feel uncomfortable about.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arent wrote:
Krulle wrote:http://www.well-of-souls.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=30129#p30129

I still wonder a bit about the special "mind shield" of Humans. Maybe the Loroi/Alex will soon discover that there are other implications. Maybe certain Loroi can sense his thoughts or emotions. After all, it was Fireblade, not Beryl who tried that.

Or Beryl is just telling him that they will protect him, even at the cost of their lifes. Which Alex might feel uncomfortable about.
Alex was hardly "in the mood" to give up information to Fireblade and her aides. Maybe there is a way to bring down the human lotai. If that way is well, I doubt that, since that would rapidly make tto comic NSFW... :oops: :D

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

you guys messed up the quotes....

And indeed, that would lead us to uncharted territory.
And while I'm a firm believer of rule #34 (not necessarily a fan of it), this is neither the time nor the place.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195