WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

folti

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by folti »

boldilocks wrote:I don't want to spoil the patreon page, but a throwaway comment by Beryl makes me wonder,
was the decision to move alex away from the front in this manner actually taken by Beryl rather than the military high command (stillstorm etc)?

I think arioch knows what comment I'm referring to
I highly doubt Stillstorm would waste any of her actual warships to ferry an ambassador (whose genuine identity and value she doubts at best) to the rear, weakening her forces on the frontline. So they planned to ferry him onto another ship already bound to the rear in a supposed to be safe system.

Of course, plans don't survive contact with the enemy ...

discord

Post by discord »

just got a nasty feeling that it might not be a very good idea for Loroi to visit earth.... if humans have a telepathic basic ability(as the template for Loroi it seems likely) why have such strong telepathic shielding on a automatic or even instinctual level? the only reason i can think of is that some creature on earth are telepathic and predatory(cats seem probable) and VERY telepathically aggressive.....dolphins would be another strong candidate.... or maybe just VERY loud.

GabrielGABFonseca

Post by GabrielGABFonseca »

discord wrote:just got a nasty feeling that it might not be a very good idea for Loroi to visit earth.... if humans have a telepathic basic ability(as the template for Loroi it seems likely) why have such strong telepathic shielding on a automatic or even instinctual level? the only reason i can think of is that some creature on earth are telepathic and predatory(cats seem probable) and VERY telepathically aggressive.....dolphins would be another strong candidate.... or maybe just VERY loud.
Isn't it obvious? We evolved psychic shielding to resist enslavement by the first psyonic Felis Catus, after they rose up in ancient Egypt.

Their mind control capabilities are so strong, in fact, that even today, when we are completely blank to the Loroi, the Felis Catus can still exert dominance over us through their mere image in internet videos.

Evidently, for sure.
Tauntingly: "Enzin tii Eilis mé sibreg ranii tó lanzedad..."

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

While Felis Catus is, in my humble opinion, the most dangerous predator nowadays for us Humans, I think Felix Catus hsa been preceded by more dangerous beings, whom we really have to thank our telepathic resistance to.
SpoilerShow
or the famous
SpoilerShow
All hail the Hypnotoad!

Felix Catus is simply the only one able to lower our telepathic defenses so that it can work its magic on our minds.
That is its greates evolutionary achievement.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Corpsman_of_Krieg

Post by Corpsman_of_Krieg »

I was unsure where to put this question, but do any of y’all listen to anything specific in setting the tone or scene of the story? Arioch, is there anything, be it a specific artist, composer, or even a broad genre that you use to help get in the creative mode needed when creating pages?

I find myself wavering between synthetic fusion and soft electronic music for the calmer scenes, and Celldweller or FreqGen for “battle music.” How about everyone else?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Corpsman_of_Krieg wrote:I was unsure where to put this question, but do any of y’all listen to anything specific in setting the tone or scene of the story? Arioch, is there anything, be it a specific artist, composer, or even a broad genre that you use to help get in the creative mode needed when creating pages?

I find myself wavering between synthetic fusion and soft electronic music for the calmer scenes, and Celldweller or FreqGen for “battle music.” How about everyone else?
Science fiction soundtracks are an obvious choice, but I listen to a variety of music when I'm drawing.

Dahak

Post by Dahak »

Corpsman_of_Krieg wrote:I was unsure where to put this question, but do any of y’all listen to anything specific in setting the tone or scene of the story? Arioch, is there anything, be it a specific artist, composer, or even a broad genre that you use to help get in the creative mode needed when creating pages?

I suspect the Umiak would like us to be listening to Samual Barber's Adagio for Strings (othewise known as Tears of Karan).

Diodri

Post by Diodri »

Actually the Umiak are probably digging volume 4 of Clik-kik-kitak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_snJiyefD0

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Oh, the missing recording of the Umiak's high council meeting has been found...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

Corpsman_of_Krieg wrote: I find myself wavering between synthetic fusion and soft electronic music for the calmer scenes, and Celldweller or FreqGen for “battle music.” How about everyone else?
Oldies but goodies like Feuer Frei by Rammstein, or Zion by Fluke go well with the Battle at Naam in Chapter 1.

For page 134? Hmm - might go with this.. https://soundcloud.com/billieholliday/i ... -for-words

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

I think the Umiak would dig this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpDvtIt6Lsc
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Werra

Post by Werra »

Alex is looking awfully surprised. Mayhabs Beryl did actually manage to get around the Lotai?
Alex is receiving that one pic, right?

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Werra wrote:Alex is looking awfully surprised. Mayhabs Beryl did actually manage to get around the Lotai?
Alex is receiving that one pic, right?
"You can't Conquer a Free Man...", but you sure as hell can overwhelm him with Desire!
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

That's maybe a little bit closer than holding hands.

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

Far better than a Vulcan mind meld

harlequin2262

Post by harlequin2262 »

And the opening skirmishes in the Jardinbowl are continued with a breathtaking counter-attack!

GabrielGABFonseca

Post by GabrielGABFonseca »

*inhales*

*Out of the top of my lungs*: "ENZIN TII EILIS MÉ, SIBREG RANII TÓ LANZEDAD"
Tauntingly: "Enzin tii Eilis mé sibreg ranii tó lanzedad..."

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Zarya wrote:Far better than a Vulcan mind meld

Ahem..{Geek moment}...you Sir are incorrect.. what you have depicted is the "Vulcan-Death Grip"... a technique with no basis in Vulcan culture which Cptn Kirk and his first officer Commander Spock cooked up as a ploy to fool the Female Romulan Captain.. that the 'Rogue' Starfleet hothead Captain Kirk was dead... by the hand of the Vulcan first officer she was so attracted to... ALL so they could Steal a Romulan Cloaking Device. I believe the episode was titled ~ 'The Enterprise Incident'

:)
Last edited by sunphoenix on Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

novius

Post by novius »

:shock: Loroi. Give them a finger, and they take... well... not just the whole arm.

No wonder Alex looks a bit surprised/shocked in that panel.

Logannion

Post by Logannion »

Why hasn't anyone commented about her other hand that is touching Jardin right below his ear?

I think its important somehow. :|