WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

boldilocks

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by boldilocks »

Sweforce wrote:
cacambo43 wrote:You ran out of week, Arioch! ;)

I hope we get a double post this week. I hope everyone's been well.. catching up on the forum a bit.

I had a thought, maybe expanding a bit on some earlier speculation. What if the Outsiders are the Loroi? And Humanity's territory offers a place of exile and respite after the Umiak basically roll over the Union? Yikes!

And might we hear about the fate of the rest of the Scout Corp?

CJSF
My guess he is busy designing 3D models, perhaps pf the inside of the Barsam Courier or the Gora Relay station. Doing this for the Highlander was a major cause of delay.
Or he read my graphic Alex/Mozin slash-fic and had to take the week of.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

boldilocks wrote:
Sweforce wrote:
cacambo43 wrote:You ran out of week, Arioch! ;)

I hope we get a double post this week. I hope everyone's been well.. catching up on the forum a bit.

I had a thought, maybe expanding a bit on some earlier speculation. What if the Outsiders are the Loroi? And Humanity's territory offers a place of exile and respite after the Umiak basically roll over the Union? Yikes!

CJSF
My guess he is busy designing 3D models, perhaps pf the inside of the Barsam Courier or the Gora Relay station. Doing this for the Highlander was a major cause of delay.
Or he read my graphic Alex/Mozin slash-fic and had to take the week of.
See! This is the reason we can't have nice things on this forum.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

cacambo43 wrote:

CJSF
The Umiak are expanding in the direction of human space as well. Remember, it's guesstimated to be about a decade before the alien empires find TCA space on their own. This is why the contact mission was established.
I second the question on the Scout Corps ships :P.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Mr.Tucker wrote:
cacambo43 wrote:

CJSF
The Umiak are expanding in the direction of human space as well. Remember, it's guesstimated to be about a decade before the alien empires find TCA space on their own. This is why the contact mission was established.
I second the question on the Scout Corps ships :P.
I've heard that before, but we know from what the Loroi have said, in-comic, that there's this Great Wasteland and the area is not well charted. There would seem to be little incentive for either empire to make their way to our area, given the huge logistical challenges and lack of clear "pay off", if you didn't know another race of beings lived here. Neither race seems especially predisposed to exploration, for exploration's sake.

CJSF

Werra

Post by Werra »

And if the Loroi really have to flee, the Umiak should be busy for generations subjugating the original Loroi territory.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

@Arioch - do you by chance have some WIP bits of the next page you would like to share? I'm sure people are worried that you might have sidelined the comic again...

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

entity2636 wrote:@Arioch - do you by chance have some WIP bits of the next page you would like to share? I'm sure people are worried that you might have sidelined the comic again...
I hereby make an official call for tar and feathers!!

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Hey, tar-and-feathering a follow forumite might be entertaining for Arioch, and thus lead to more sidetracking the comic.

I'm sure he jsut got some extra artwork to do somewhere, to make ends meet.*

*like playing some or other game, so that his follow clan members don't get killing due to his absence.

*ducks and out*
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Every day without an update is another slash-fic chapter!

Hmm make that week.

I'll get back to you guys in half a year.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

boldilocks wrote:Every day without an update is another slash-fic chapter!

Hmm make that week.

I'll get back to you guys in half a year.
It's like slash-fic roulette, save us Arioch! :P

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

cacambo43 wrote:
I've heard that before, but we know from what the Loroi have said, in-comic, that there's this Great Wasteland and the area is not well charted. There would seem to be little incentive for either empire to make their way to our area, given the huge logistical challenges and lack of clear "pay off", if you didn't know another race of beings lived here. Neither race seems especially predisposed to exploration, for exploration's sake.

CJSF
The Great Wasteland makes it so there is not much draw for a COLONIAL effort in that direction. The problem is that military reasons for expansion, such as opening new fronts, finding backdoors into enemy territory, etc may make the point moot. Neither the Loroi nor the Umiak need colonies, just supply points.
Eventually, time would run out for any Loroi refugees. Human space would not be safe for long.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Mr.Tucker wrote:
cacambo43 wrote:

CJSF
The Great Wasteland makes it so there is not much draw for a COLONIAL effort in that direction. The problem is that military reasons for expansion, such as opening new fronts, finding backdoors into enemy territory, etc may make the point moot. Neither the Loroi nor the Umiak need colonies, just supply points.
Eventually, time would run out for any Loroi refugees. Human space would not be safe for long.
This is why any refugees sent here must go here in absolute secrecy. This cannot save the union but it may save the loroi species from extinction. There rest of the union species do not seem to be on the Hierarchy's kill list. Hopefully the Hierarchy will be occupied hunting down remnant resistance for decades to come.

Still, decades is not enough for humanity to technologically catch up even with help and ultimately we just lack the industrial capacity to compete with the Hierarchy. If something else is brewing however that catch their attention elsewhere however it may just work. Right now I consider the Historians to be horrible allies since they do have the stuff but refuse to use it. If they joined the fight in earnest they could bleed the Hierarchy faster then even their industrial capacity can keep up with if they got enough ships. It is possible that the Historians have just a handful of extremely over engineered vessels that just cannot hold up in a prolonged fight. Compare German vs Soviet tank design doctrines during WW2.

htabdoolb

Post by htabdoolb »

entity2636 wrote:@Arioch - do you by chance have some WIP bits of the next page you would like to share? I'm sure people are worried that you might have sidelined the comic again...

If Arioch lives anywhere close to where Alex was born(according to the insider page on characters), Redding, California, then he's probably too busy dodging walls of fire to make comic pages. There is a massive forest fire currently burning just west of Redding, and parts of the city have already burned down. Several hundred houses have been lost.

I live on the other side of the fire, about thirty miles west, and we've been packed up and ready to evacuate for several days now. It's hard to get much of anything done when most of your valuable belongings are stuffed haphazardly into whatever vehicle(s) you've got, so you can leave at a moment's notice.

Codius_Dak

Post by Codius_Dak »

Just so there a re-post of a big forum commandment.

It is frowned upon to make a point blank demand for content. As much as we all love this comic please refrain from demanding of or shaming the author for lack of updates. As one who has remained loyal for the last 16 years This comic is worth the wait.
Hope is renewed by the brilliant dawn.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I'm still here, and updates on the comic will continue. I can't promise that there will be updates every week; there will be times when I will be distracted by other things. Ideally I will at some point be able to get ahead and create a backlog/buffer so that updates will be more regular, but we're not there yet.

There probably won't be any WIP's for the next two pages, because I think that would not be appropriate.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Arioch wrote:There probably won't be any WIP's for the next two pages, because I think that would not be appropriate.
I like the sound of that.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

htabdoolb wrote:

If Arioch lives anywhere close to where Alex was born(according to the insider page on characters), Redding, California, then he's probably too busy dodging walls of fire to make comic pages. There is a massive forest fire currently burning just west of Redding, and parts of the city have already burned down. Several hundred houses have been lost.

I live on the other side of the fire, about thirty miles west, and we've been packed up and ready to evacuate for several days now. It's hard to get much of anything done when most of your valuable belongings are stuffed haphazardly into whatever vehicle(s) you've got, so you can leave at a moment's notice.
Years ago I was a member of a Dungeon Siege modding forum when one of our respected members volunteered to to help fight raging forest firers near her home. I cost her a hand to the fire. This made her absent for about a year or so but eventually she returned after finally having overcome the emotional scars she received and learned how to live as an amputee.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Arioch wrote:There probably won't be any WIP's for the next two pages, because I think that would not be appropriate.
Sounds like Alex is gonna impress Beryl with the volume of his
SpoilerShow
vomit, once the "battle turbulence" kicks in and all the alien food acts up.

Definitely inappropriate content to reveal early.

Arent

Post by Arent »

Huh? I just expected some space battle. Now I'm really curious what will happen ;)

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arent wrote:
Huh? I just expected some space battle. Now I'm really curious what will happen ;)
Something big may in be the works and we should not be spoiled. He may even withhold a page in order to be able to drop two at the same time. I am looking forward to this.